Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

BREAST IMPLANT SIZING 101

1510511512513514516»

Comments

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    edited April 2023

K-gobby: You have had quite the journey. So are you complete with your reconstruction

• whippetmom
    whippetmom Member Posts: 6,028
    edited April 2023

coffeeluvr: After reconstruction (sometimes after breast augmentation also, for that matter) , the implants will not be anything like your native breasts were prior to BMX. The European bras (Freda, Chantelle, etc.) are designed more appropriately for reconstructed breasts. They just fit better and frankly, they look better.

Some plastic surgeons advocate for their patients to remain in a sports bra for quite some time. Some plastic surgeons tell their patients that they do not need to wear a bra ever again. That might be true for smaller implants - under 400 ccs, but for larger implants, you want to support the lower pole of the breast - at least for the first year - in my opinion. The weight of the implants can…and I have seen many case of this…drop below the inframammary fold. Remember, the only thing holding up the implants is, if over the muscle, skin and if under the muscle, about 1/3 muscle in the upper pole and in the lower, skin only. We all know about the laws of gravityFifteen years after my reconstruction, I wear underwire bras every day and I sleep in camisoles with a supportive shelf bra.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,304
    edited April 2023

whippetmom - good to see you. Hope all is well out there with the insessant rains.

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 786
    edited April 2023

I have a question about my implants. I had BMX and permanent implants inserted under the muscle on January 2020. I asked to have the same size implants as my natural breast B/C and on my height of 5'`10" looks normal. The right breast is dropping. I met the PS yesterday and he said the drop is 1cm. He sugested to correct it or replace both implants however, I don't want to have the surgery. Breast construction surgery was so painful and after 3 years, I still feel them as foreign objects. What do I do? Does anyone have any experience with this? Can the implant continue to drop?

• K-Gobby
    K-Gobby Member Posts: 144
    edited April 2023

whippetmom,

So fat, I think my fluid around my right side is now controlled through my super compressing. I was not wearing a compression bra, heavy, so I had two aspirations on the right side in 2 weeks

The fluid I was told is a few pockets around the implant creating room for fluid. Not good. I almost got a drain and not the aspiration. I said I would get great bras and pads. I did just that. I say my NP at the MO office last week and she says I look much better. Redness and swelling are far better.

I did though cover with her my blood clot behind my right thigh may not be disbursed. I had an ultrasound scheduled for May 10th, but seems that the NP talking with my new MO moved it to the 24th of April.

I did read side effects can happen a bit. I am grateful that I am listened to. I just have to tell them the truth, provide pics in the portal and keep up on their responses.

Today, I have 2 barbies little my same size as before. Not into my "size" yet, once I was all healed I was going for a real bra fitting.

Oh yes, I have worn a sports bra nearly every night since Dec 28th. Looking forward to bra free nights.

• mavericksmom
    mavericksmom Member Posts: 1,275

whippetmom, thank you SO MUCH for starting this forum.

Since I last posted here in March, I have become hugely disappointed in my implant side. I don't know how long it has looked like this but there is a large depression area at the top, and the rest of the reconstructed breast just sags, so much more than my real breast had. Of course, it doesn't help that my other reconstructed breast was DIEP and it looks just like my real breast, minus the nipple which I decided not to do.

Not sure if this is what happens with implants. I am trying not to think of it, and I avoid mirrors, but I blame myself for not reading up on implants more prior to my mastectomy last October. I guess I was still in shock at having new breast cancers three times, so I just went with whatever the PS told me to do. He did ask about size, etc., but I hadn't put any thought into that, my focus was on getting the cancer out of me, so my answers weren't well thought out.

Anyone else have this issue?

• katg
    katg Member Posts: 247

I hope she gets back. I am now free of extra padding and extra fluid. I am reading again, thinking I need to get those sport bras back on for support. I am not big, but I had skin saving and am just not sure after 6 months, what might occur as time goes by. I see my plastic surgeon for a follow up in early July.

• xxxgggyyy
    xxxgggyyy Member Posts: 21

I had a unilateral mastectomy. I had reconstruction with a silicone implant in 2018. I just had an MRI last week, and I was told that the implant is leaking, so they want to swap it out.

I haven't met with the plastic surgeon yet, but I'm wondering whether I have any other options. I have found this implant uncomfortable since day 1. I thought I'd get used to it, but I never did. I'm wondering if something like a basic fat graft would work. I am an A cup, on the slimmer side, and have no desire to be bigger.