Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Anyone had a Strange-Acting "Infection" after Tissue Expanders

Options

Comments

• tabby
    tabby Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2011
    Options

Karen:  I am so excited for you!!!!  It's great to hear you are finally seeing some success with the reconstruction!  I will keep you in my prayers that you will experience the healing that I did.  My plastic surgeon sat me down about a month ago and told me that looking at the outcome no plastic surgeon would ever believe my outcome.  I told him where that healing came from and he agreed it was a miracle.  It was a special experience.  MIRACLES DO HAPPEN.  I am proof.  I don't know if this sounds too preachy to you or even if you are a believer but I want you to have the same outcome!!!!  Keep doing well.  Tabby

• debbiey
    debbiey Member Posts: 43
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi I had my TE removed last Thursday. Very disapointed. My scar is still oozing. Did you have this problem and if so how long did it last for. I am desperate to get over this and get back on track with my recon. Let me know how things are for you now. 

• samiam
    samiam Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2011
    Options

I'm so sorry to hear all of you ladies going through this.  I posted my experience on the beginning of this thread 2.5 years ago.  I'm proud to say that after losing the TE to infection, getting it replaced, and fighting yet another infection, I am now doing well.  I had no problems with my exchange surgery or with a subsequent revision.  I do think my issue may have been Alloderm related as I had infections both times, Alloderm was placed and neither time afterwards.  Hang in there!  Losing a TE is devastating.  (It was almost as painful to me as losing my breasts the first time!!)  It does get better.  Now I look back and it just seems like a bump in the road.

Debbiey, my infection cleared up quickly after the TE was removed.  I was on heavy duty antibiotics though.  Do you have a drain?  I had a drain after my removal and my body produced a lot of fluid through there.  I had the drains about a week.

• Kyta
    Kyta Member Posts: 273
    edited September 2011
    Options

debbley - I'm sorry to hear you lost your TE…I've been there, and know how disappointed you must feel. Not sure if there's much action on this thread, so just wanted to let you know that there's another thread called TE TROUBLE that many of us are on, and it's quite active. It helps to get support from others who are going through the same thing.

Samiam - nice to hear from someone who's gotten through this and is doing well :) 

• debbiey
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi I cant be allergic to to Alloderm as I had a TE put in when I had mt left breast removed in November last year. I had this removed and a LD flap reconstruction at the same time I had my right breast removed and a TE put in. This is why I am so disappointed as everything went so well last time. The LD flap has been great with no problems. I am just upset and feel it must be something I have done. I have four children so it is very hard to take it easy. I was being so careful with my LHS that I think I have done too much with my right. I know that the sooner I can get rid of the infection and the wound heals properly the sooner I can move forward with my recon. I was really enjoying having two breasts the same size with or without a bra and prosthesis. I am having Herceptin every three weeks and have had chemo and radiotherapy so I think they may be having efect on my wound healing. Any tips on how to help the healing would be great. 

• debbiey
    edited September 2011
    Options

Thanks Samiam. I had a drain in for 24hours and there was very little draining. It was removed and the first day the wound was dry. The following day it started to ooze blood stained fluid and today it seams to be getting a bit less. According to my husband there is a small hole in the wound. I couldnt look especially as the doctor looked about 25.  I am worried that the scar will not heal well and spoil the look of my recon. I know at least i am alive however I had seet my heart on a good recon to help me move forward.

• joiedevivre
    joiedevivre Member Posts: 47
    edited September 2011
    Options

I too had infection after alloderm. I don't think that I was allergic to it, because I do have some in another part of my body and no problem. However on the breast , it is alloderm over implant, and the blood supply was not good enough to compensate.Hope things improve for you.. hugs to you.

• tabby
    edited September 2011
    Options

debbiey:  I am so sorry to hear you lost the te's.  It is so disappointing.  I felt like I had lost my breasts all over again.  I, too, wanted (needed) the reconstruction to feel healed and know exactly what that feels like.  The second time I had infection I got into the hospital, got on IV antibiotics, and got in with infectious disease.  (I did this much earlier than the first time--I think that made a big difference.)  I love my doctors but I had to  insist on this and be strong.  YOU HAVE DONE NOTHING WRONG.  I remember this feeling as well, like maybe I didn't keep it clean or got water on something--crazy, right?  Even after the infection cleared I was on pins and needles until the exchange but everything finally worked out and I was able to get the implants and have had tatoos.  My PS told me after looking at the final "product" that it was pretty much a miracle and that if I had told any other PS what had happened they would never believe me.  I am a Christian (LDS actually) and know my healing was a miracle from above and I will be praying for you and others of us who are struggling and deserve the same outcome as I have been blessed to have.

• debbiey
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi Tabby, How long after infection was new TE put in? How long did infection last? I had 1 dose of IV antibiotics just after surgery to remove TE and am now on oral. I am having my skin expanded for LD flap reconstruction because my PS thinks after radiation treatment you run a high risk of capsulation and/or rejection of permanant  implants. I had my flap reconstruction all booked in and organised child care for all four children for 19th November which now looks like it will be off the cards. I am so disappointed it took so long to arrange and I was looking forward to Christmas with two reconstructed breasts. Take care Speak soon.

• tabby
    edited September 2011
    Options

debbiey:  We took out both expanders on Father's Day and my PS wanted me to wait 4-6 months or so before beginning again so I had expanders put back in in January or Feb.  The first infection cleared up pretty quickly after removal of expanders and I was on the IV antibiotics, then oral ones like you.  The second time, I moved much quicker.  I knew I couldn't go through this if the infection didn't clear, so my husband and I told the PS we were going into the emergency room.  He said he'd rather put me in himself, so he did and put me on the vancomyacin.  Infectious disease couldn't figure it out but I was in the hospital for a week on the IV antibiotics and went home with it and was on it at home for I believe 3 more weeks.  Then I was put back on the clindamyacin for a while after that.  The redness was better before I left the hospital but it was not gone.  It gradually went away after a couple of weeks.  I did not have oozing or a temp or anything--just redness.  The first time the redness got beet red and spread down into the abdomen.  Don't rush it if you don't have to as from what I read it and what my PS explained, the longer you heal in between the better (not years, just months).  I know you are disappointed and my heart goes out to you.  I remember, believe me.  It's was almost like a grieving for me.  I knew I could get used to not having the reconstruction.  I'm strong enough to do it and be happy, but for me I knew I'd do better emotionally if I could get it done.  I am happy with the outcome but it's not like having the real ones, of course.  I pray you will heal soon and get the outcome you want and deserve. 

• debbiey
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi Tabby, I saw my PS today and he suggested 2 or 3 months before trying again however he will have to monitor the situation. I am coming to terms with the removal and am not setting any date when everything will be finished cos every time I do that something comes along and spoils my plans. I am having a LD flap reconstruction once the skin has been expanded followed 3 months later by lipo filling and nipple construction then tatooing. So I am looking at about July/ August at the earliest before everything is done. I am to scared to book a summer holiday in case anything else goes wrong. I am struggling to accept my body like this and am putting everything on hold until everything is done. I know I shouldn't but I would hate to be on holiday like this or have to cancel it for some reason when the whole family were looking forward to it because things had been delayed again. I hate things being totally out of my control. Working and having 4 kids means I have to be very organised and I just can't be with all this goin on. Thanks for support. Speak soon.

• sanbar8771
    sanbar8771 Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2011
    Options

Tabby,

The same thing happened to me. I had my TE replaced on my left side 3 times...yes, three. Come to find out I had pseudomonas. It gave me a mild fever and redness and pain. It took about 6 months for it to clear up. Don't give up hope. I was ready to throw in the towel but then, third times a charm and my left TE finally took. It has been about 3 months and I am still good. No infection. I hope everything clears up. You are in my thoughts.

Julie

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited September 2011
    Options
    Hopeful 34you are so right about ZYVOX. It is the drug that now that stands where Vancomycin stood a couple of decades ago. Mrsa laughs at vanco now. Bacterial resistance is the biggest trouble for the next couple of decades . Choose your surgeries wisely. Once we get in to serious Stem cell research and nano research things may and will change. Until then question infection rates of doc/ hospitals/ operating rooms/ post surgical floors. The concern about being pushed out of hospitals to soon ----------the real basis is the longer you stay there , the more likely you are to pick up a hospital based infection. Hopeful 34 we met along time ago or it seems along time ago.
  • debbiey
    edited September 2011
    Options

Hi Julie How brave. It makes me feel a whimp when I have only had one TE removed. I really hope your third atempt continues to go well. Is that the end of your reconstruction now? 

Debbie Y

• tabby
    edited September 2011
    Options

Julie:  Thanks for the encouraging words.  I did get my reconstruction the second time (on both breasts) although the redness appeared again.  I got in the hospital earlier and got the vancomyacin.  Someone here mentioned the ZYVOX.  I took ZYVOK and AVELOX and it did not clear the problem up the first time so I didn't go on that the second time.  The vancomyacin did the trick although I did have to take Benadryl 30 minutes prior each dosage as I did get the red man reaction the first time around (and I had to take it very slowly).  CONGRATULATIONS Julie on the getting the reconstruction!!!  Hope all is well.

Oh, and Julie, what is pseudomonas????

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2011
    Options

Tabby Psuedomonas is a bug that shouldn't be gotten. Wikipedia it. It is tough to get rid of. Unuasual when found in wounds these days , should ask infection control why you got it.

• TracieM
    TracieM Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2011
    Options

Looks like I am another individual who had alloderm TE directly after mastectomy ended up with psuedomonus. If it had not been for my oncologist not sure what I would have done. After ripping the TE out in the office and several visits where they kept cutting skin, my BS and PS kept saying I did not have an infection. They even got a little pissy when the Onc. Sent me to infection doc. Who confirmed the infection.

What is so odd to me, is I know I met at least 12 people in the BC office who had surgery around the same experience...and no one is questioning it...I would think the insurance companies who raise Kane...

I am better now scheduled for a DIEP tomorrow, with a different PS

• orangemat
    orangemat Member Posts: 368
    edited October 2011
    Options

And here I thought I was the only one....

Same thing, mystery infection after barely week with the TE. Personally, I thought it was because the drains were faulty, since the redness and tenderness appeared right after the first of my two drains came out. Three antibiotics later I was finally right as rain.

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2011
    Options

I have no clue why the doc's don't do cultures in the presence of an infection. A resistant bug to an antibx is not going to respond no matter how long you take it. To often they prescribe a broad spectrum antibx , no culture. Only after total failure do they culture. A culture done at the beginning ---------tells you what bug it is in 48hrs----------sensitivity to antibx is available in 72 hrs(one day later).

Tracie--------after reading about pseudomonas on wickipedia, you will agree with me that this is not a bug you should have gotten. Plus the fact that you met so many in the office with the same infection says there is a serious problem. One of the most usual sources of pseudo is the water tap. Your PS is not being realistic, if he has that many infections . He needs to find the source. Ya'll probably have a small class action lawsuit against him. If you go again to the office take a testing kit with you and swab the water tap and pay for it to be cultured( i guess you should ask a lawyer if this is legal).  After I post this I will bring a link on wound care that I did quite a bit of work on and one of the items I talk about is how to disinfect the shower tap. Also Google "pseudomonas and sources"  It will be an eye opener.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/754935?page=1

tested and link worked

Sas

• TracieM
    edited October 2011
    Options

I am so surprised someone else like insurance company doesn't pick up on the number of TEs that fail...I won't be going back, I have a different PS now...matter of fact currently on day 3 after a DIEP..I can not believe the difference in care and the proactive measures. The odd part of my experience is the first team I worked with BS PS are suppose to be the very best in the area. Not so sure about that. People are shocked when I tell them how the TEs were removed in the office, in a exam room with the window open...live and learn

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2011
    Options

DUH_________________sucks------also wierd--------please tell me you gooogled pseudo?

• TracieM
    edited October 2011
    Options

I did google...

• tabby
    edited October 2011
    Options

Tracie:  Someone took your te's out IN THE OFFICE?  ARE YOU KIDDING? I AM BEYOND SHOCKED--I'M FURIOUS.  If you had an infection or whatever you had, nothing is going to get better by removing them in an unsterile environment! 

My infection or whatever it was never cultured at the beginning.  Of course, the first time I had the infection? nothing was cultured until after all the antibiotics failed and the te's were removed.  He had told me probably nothing would culture since I'd had the antibiotics.  Second time I was more aggressive and proactive.  My husband told the PS we were going into the er in order to see infectious disease earlier and get the iv antibiotics.  He checked me in himself and I begged for them to culture but he said anywhere you open the wound where there is infection or whatever it only makes things worse.  Even after all the infection? was gone and we were beginning expansion of te's there was fluid that would come out (not a lot but some) and we did culture that but it didn't show anything either.  Best wishes for a much better outcome this time.

• sas-schatzi
    edited October 2011
    Options

They could have done a Gram Stain. It will tell what bacteria is present. It's a better shot at choosing an anti bx that won't culture up. Yes, in the gram stain you may see just regular flora, but if you pick up something unusual like the pseudomonas, it can be targeted as the culprit.

Tracie I should have said something about the removal in the office. The conditions were deplorable. Try to document as well as you can remember. This is way outside acceptable medical practice. Find a good lawyer. Also, report doc to medical board. Plus the county health department. After reading about pseudo, you know it was not a usual contaminant of a wound. There has to be a source like the tap , or poor handling of sterile equipment and then breaches in technique. I'm surprised the County Health Department is not already involved.

That doc should have a special decontamination of everything in the office. Once a bug/bacteria gets colonized, it's hard to get rid of.  Knowing a docs infection rate pre first contact is important. Docs routinely blame hospitals. But at a given point when so many were infected in the office with the same bug, other steps should be taken.

An example, was a Calif pro-footbal team had a problem with MRSA in the locker room. The organization went public with there counteractions, I think they even brought in the CDC. I heard the story when one of the players was on TV talking about the whole story with a doc. There goal was to get all players aware of symptoms, cleaning procedures for locker rooms etc. I gave them a whole lot of credit. It took great courage to do what they did.

Those  PS docs are  panic stricken I can tell you that. They will likely lose their practice over it. There surgical technique will be monitored by a health department type person. Everything will be scrutinized. But the reporting has to be done to the Health Department before anything happens. They can't do something about that which they do not know, if no  cultures done, then as below the whole tracking mechanism is blown b/c there is no bug trail.

But if each patient were cultured and the same bug keeps coming up for the same doc, the infection control doc/and nurse monitoring daily labs for bacterias should also catch something and they are responsible for reporting to the HD certain bugs and trends if identified.

Allot went wrong in this case that shouldn't have.

• sas-schatzi
    edited January 2012
    Options

BUMP

• sas-schatzi
    edited February 2012
    Options

Bump-------The reason for continuing to bump this, is never know when someone is dealing with an infection issue and the previous posters may help. Posts get lost after awhile if the arn't bumped

• cashellie
    cashellie Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2012
    Options

Thank you Tabby!  Here I am, 2 years later, trying to find out what is happening to me!  I am having the exact same problem with redness.  Antibiotics have not helped. Not as bad in the morning. I was starting to think I was the only one, and getting very frustrated. 

• tabby
    edited March 2012
    Options

cashellie:  So sorry to hear you are having problems.  It's crazy, huh?  The only antibiotic that worked for me was the vancomiacin and that was taken very early the second time.  I was able to "heal" miraculously after all and have not had further problems.  My PS said no one would believe the outcome.  Fight this quickly.  My best to you.  I know this is awful.

• lulud471
    lulud471 Member Posts: 20
    edited August 2013
    Options

I am having the same problem!  Everytime I have pseudomonas infeciton, I don't have typical symptoms.  I only have slight redness & warmth, no fever.  But always the incision opens back up.  Now it opened up again last night so I ask PS if we can do culture.  They said no, I've had so many surgeries at this point it'll grow SOMETHING even if there's no infection; that I'm not showing typical signs.  However, when they did the last surgery 7/11/13, they found rib necrosis & he told me it was due to pseudomonas (and I didn't have typical symptoms before that either)!  I am so confused and don't know what to do.

• Infreyred
    Infreyred Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2017
    Options

i just went through an implant infection resulting in surgically removing the implant, after days of IV antibiotics. I had wanted the DIEP flap but my oncological surgeon convinced me that the recovery would be too difficult. May be true but my own body would've fought off the infection and I wouldn't avoided going through this hell.

Now I read that this infected site is prone to become re-infected So after 3 months of healing I am considering following my first instincts andusing my own body.