Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited October 2022

Praying for you, Nancy...

Love and hugs,

Carol

• zjrosenthal
    zjrosenthal Member Posts: 1,541
    edited October 2022

Praying Nancy for successful surgery and good aftercare and recovery

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited October 2022

Thanks Jean.

I have already made a mistake that can't be undone. I had to drink 12oz of Gatorade at 4am. I got a great night's sleep PTL and the alarm went off at 4am. I was still groggy apparently and I got my measuring cup and measured 8oz. and that is what I drank. I realized the mistake later this morning. I hope those 4oz are not a deal breaker or complicate things.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited October 2022

Oh, Nancy, I think you'll be fine. Thinking of you and continuing prayers for you.

Carol

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited October 2022

Nancy, praying for you all day. I think you will be fine.

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2022

Praying for you Nancy!

• sunshine99
    edited October 2022

Praying for Nancy!

• sunshine99
    edited October 2022

Praying for Nancy this morning.

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2022

Hi ladies.

I am home. YIPPPEEE The surgery was later than expected so around 4:30pm. I didn't get into a room until after 8PM. Before surgery the surgical nurse was pretty much thumbs down on the nerve block shot. So the disappointment turned to joy when I woke up and my friend told me I GOT the shot. Interesting how God worked that one out. A new person was working in the pharmacy that would have dispensed it so not sure if it was a mistake but I got it according to what the surgeon told me this morning. The nurse told me beforehand it costs thousands and I said I will pay thousands. Probably not something to say but I said will insurance cover it and she said probably. So I have NO pain at the surgery site however I was in a lot of discomfort because of the sensation of having to go to the bathroom.

I was in some pain later with different parts of my body including my tailbone and upper back hurting and so with heavy duty pain meds and nausea meds that helped. Today back to that same feeling. I can't get my pain meds until tomorrow morning as my pharmacy was really busy.

This is my 7th surgery and other than the very first one I have had complications with all of the others and I am really hoping this surgery will reverse that trend. So far so good until the nerve block wears off.

Thank you ALL for your prayers. They really helped me get through this. I was more nervous for this surgery than most of the past ones because I knew the recovery was going to be painful. The surgeon told me this morning that he didn't have to do as much cutting as he originally thought so maybe not as bad of a pain situation as he predicted.

Thank you for your prayers and I would appreciate them still during this recovery.

It is a gorgeous day here but I got very little sleep last night and am ready to take a nice nap.

Love you all dear sisters.

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 704
    edited October 2022

Nancy, I'm so glad that your surgery went well and you are home from the hospital. I do hope you are resting comfortably. Praying for a speedy and sound recovery.

• sunshine99
    edited October 2022

Nancy, I'm so glad to hear that you are back home and that your surgery went well. I'm praying for minimal pain, lots of rest and a quick recovery.

(((hugs)))

Carol

• weninwi
    weninwi Member Posts: 777
    edited October 2022

Nancy,

Glad to hear that your surgery went well. Will keep you in prayer and hoping for a quick recovery.

Wendy

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2022

Thank you ladies. I felt pretty good this morning and I ate a big breakfast as I was famished from not eating much for two days. Tailbone pain has reared it' ugly head. Today on the way home I was feeling quite good but as the day wore on this tailbone plain became unbearable. I have to wait to pick up my scripts tomorrow and the pain med was one of them. Luckily I had some old pain pills from my hysterectomy so I took one of those at 8pm and feeling very spacy but less pain. I did sit in the bathtub which I am supposed to do.

My very first recovery nurse was a sweet lady from the Philippines. I asked what her name was and she said Bless as in God Bless. She had worked at this hospital for 32 yrs. She was a Christian and talked about going off to her Bible study as her shift was ending. When my friend left she said a prayer of Thanksgiving over the surgery and that is when we realized this lady was a Christian. The the last person that rolled me out to the car leaving the hospital I asked her name and she had worked only five months. I mentioned something about Bless being there for 32 years and I said she is a Christian. This young lady named Letty said I am too. I feel very blessed that God saw fit to surround me with compassionate and professional people and some who were Christians. This one young gal who spent quite a bit of time getting my port off without hurting me, I was able to share with her about being a retired band director and she lit up like a light. She was the drum major in her high school marching band and we had quite a discussion. I told her my swan story which is a way of sharing what God can do through a hard situation so it was a pretty awesome experience.

I felt quite good on the way home. It as an absolutely gorgeous fall day that felt like summer. We don't get may days like this. I started to have this tailbone pain start up and it got almost intolerable. I couldn't get my pain meds from the pharmacy until tomorrow so I had some old pain meds of the same kind from my hysterectomy less than two years ago so I am pretty spacy but it is working and I took a long bath which I am supposed to do.

It will be one day at a time as this even with the nerve block is going to be a challenge and who knew the tailbone would come into play.

Thank you again for your support and prayers.

Love,

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited October 2022

Nancy, thank you for updating us. I hope today is tolerable (or better) for you and the meds keep your pain under control. What a blessing to have had so many wonderful nurses to care for you!

Love to all,

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2022

Thanks Carol. I am doing some better. My tailbone is still very painful but I haven't taken my new pain meds yet. My neighbor just picked them up for me today. I took an old one from my surgery two years ago and those are powerful. They make me spacy and eventually sick so I have to do a careful dance with them.

My neighbors have been great. I have one that took care of Cammie and is waiting if I need her to change the litter box. I was able to do it this morning. The nerve block is still working. I have another neighbor who will get my mail and make pharmacy runs. She scolded me today as I walked down the street last night to our mailboxes and she was going to do that for me. I knew walking would help my tailbone pain. Another neighbor will hopefully be able to take me to my follow up doctor apt so I am super fortunate ad grateful I have so many people helping me.

I watched my church service online. Chris, our guest speaker who comes through out the year is from CO. Her last name is something like Oulette. Forget her first name. She is good.

Today I think we broke a record for high temps. I am enjoying looking at my Red Ember Maple trees that are living up to their name now.

Enjoy your Sunday.

Love,

Nancy

• weninwi
    edited October 2022

Nancy,

Glad you're on the road to recovery and sounds like you have good support. Will keep raising you up for speedy healing.

Is your swan story about being a band director in an earlier post?

Wendy

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2022

Teka, yes I am glad for all of that. I only have five days of pain meds so I am trying to hold off as long as I can. The nerve block is still working. I took some Tumeric now that I can resume my supplements and that is helping my tailbone pain a little. Now we need to pray you through your surgery on Oct. 31. I wonder if your medical team will be in Halloween costumes. Loopy

Wendy, I'll have to share my swan photo and story when I am feeling better. It is my silver lining to my cancer. I'll give you that much of a hint for now. Kinda of like the trailer to a movie. LOL

• intolight
    edited October 2022

Nancy, praising God your pain is still under control and your neighbors have stepped up and are helping out. God surrounds us with His angels when we need them! Praying all heals well and you can rest and enjoy the Fall season.

The oncologist still doesn't know what to do with me... She wants me back on my last med (Verzenio) believing that is what is keeping my cancer quiet and wants a bone scan and CT scan thinking the other types of scans weren't able to find anything. (Those include a PET scan, two spine MRIs, and a brain MRI--all negative for cancer). I think she is fishing for cancer because there is no sign of any activity and she can't explain where it all went. I will do them for proof of God's touch. If they find anything, I will still praise God. All my previous infirmities, mapped out by six years of scans, are gone. The world seeks answers in all the wrong places. My pastor this morning said "Help me reach just one more." That is my prayer. Chris

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited October 2022

Chris, that is a wonderful testimony to God's healing power. Nancy, I'm so thankful that the surgery is over and you are doing as well as you are. Also that people are stepping up to help. A warm welcome to Wendy and Teka we'll be praying for your knee surgery on the 31st. I had a nice time in AZ, My stomach seemed better there than it does at home sometimes. My friend who is a nurse is going in to the dermatologist tomorrow so I'm going along since I showed her the spot on my leg that he did a biopsy and its looking sore yet and so she questions whether he'd take the basel cell out on Monday. Personally, I think he will say no problem, we'll see you Monday. Praying also, for the rest of you GB, Hershey and Carol.

Love, Wheatfields

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2022

Chris, I imagine the scientific community aka medical doctors probably doesn't know what to make of you and your disappearing cancer. I would love to be privy to some of their discussions among themselves regarding your situation.

Wheatfields, I am glad you had a good time in AZ with your sister and glad your stomach did well there. I hope you will be able to have your procedure on Monday.

Teka, we are praying for you as you have your Oct. 31 surgery. I remember when you said that date in the past in seemed like so far away and now here it is just around the corner. Praying for peace as you go into this and that you will be well prepared and no big surprises when you get home to recuperate. Praying for a successful surgery and good pain control.

I had to message my surgeon yesterday as the stool softener was not working and it was day 4 after surgery with no bowel movement. The nurse just wrote back try Milk of Magnesia. My neighbor who is my designated pharmacy runner was on it it in a flash. I had looked up the product and suggested a certain size and flavor. When she got to Walgreens she said the shelves were bare except for one bottle left...........and yes it was in the size I had suggested and the flavor. Last night was a very difficult night and knowing my first bowel movement was going to be very painful and also being fearful of breaking any stitches or undoing what my surgeon had done didn't help. It was an experience I hope I never have to repeat but I did have some success eventually. This morning I had another bowel movement and it was not as difficult. All in all I am doing very well. I did have some nauseas last night but I had some meds waiting in the wings so that worked out fine. Things are going really much, much better than I had anticipated and I am so grateful. I know that the bathroom visits may be a challenge for a while and I just ordered a step stool for the bathroom. Some of you may have heard of this or may have one but it is to position yourself to make bowel movements easier. Sorry for all of the TMI but some of you may need this info at some time.

The construction is now right outside my house. They start at 7am and I just put my ear plugs in and go back to sleep.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2022

Nancy, definitely appreciate you sharing your experience. That's a surgery I may need someday, realistically. I was encouraged to hear that a nerve block exists. I would pay extra for that!

• intolight
    edited October 2022

Nancy, I am so glad to hear things are going well for you post-surgery. Your miracle bottle proves God is still working!

Teka and Wheatfields, praying for your surgery and procedure. It is so good that we can lift each other up in prayer from such a distance.

I am back on my cancer meds hoping I didn't start them too soon waiting for this cold virus to pass. So I am also back to spending more time in the recliner and eating crackers. The below freezing overnight temperatures have hit Colorado so I also have my space heater warming up my little cozy corner of the livingroom. I may even start up the fireplace! I went to Costco yesterday trying to stock up for awhile and have been exhausted ever since...

Praying for a restful end of the week for everyone. God bless...Chris

• sunshine99
    edited October 2022

Nancy, I'm so glad to hear from you and that the MOM got things moving for you. It's not TMI among sisters! (I use MOM from time to time. I like the Phillips brand - not generic - and the cherry flavor.)

To all my other dear sisters here, I wish you a peaceful Thursday (at least, I think it's Thursday) filled with blessings.

Carol

• weninwi
    edited October 2022

Nancy....Glad you're on the mend. No worries re TMI - bowel health is pretty important. For actual constipation, I have the best luck with Miralax (an osmotic stool softener). My current dietary approach to keep stools soft but formed is one tsp of chia seeds added to plain Greek yogurt or kefir, but I'm aware everyone is different.

Chris....keep us informed of your status and what your doctors tell you.

I seem to be doing OK on the Everolimus 7.5 mg daily. I'm 4 weeks into this new treatment. My labs (ALT, AST, and Alk Phos) actually improved from the last test. I check my O2 saturation couple of times a day as I'm most concerned about developing interstitial lung disease or pneumonitis. I don't want to end up in the hospital.

Thankfully the weather is still moderate in southern WI, but the leaves are mostly on the ground now. I add my prayer to Carol's for a peaceful weekend for all.

Wendy

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2022

I'm glad I didn't offend with my TMI talk on bowel movements.

GB, I hope you will never have to have this surgery but the name of this nerve block is Exparel. I can't remember just what I shared about that and I couldn't scroll back to see. I may have said the OR nurse was thumbs down on it saying it is reserved for surgeries where parts of the colon are being removed etc. I may never know why I ended up getting it after all but my surgeon just said there was a new person working in the dispensary (pharmacy ?) possibly insinuating that it might have been a mistake. It worked for almost 72hrs and I am so thankful for that. Pain meds have never been easy for me and I am getting to the point where my body gets overwhelmed as they build up and today I was very lightheaded and dizzy and just didn't feel good from the side effects. Hopefully I won't need the pain meds for too much longer.

The bathroom trips are still a challenge and are painful. I have been taking Miralax every day per the surgeon's directions and I have just used the MOM for one day only.

Last night I was pretty disturbed. I don't know if you have all heard of Ding Dong Ditch. I am not sure if it is a Tik Tok inspired challenge but it is basically young kids perhaps teens ring your doorbell and then run away. Last night I was in my kitchen and the door bell rang at 11:20pm. I thought it might be my neighbor but I just wasn't sure and I went to the door and no one was there. Again at 11:50pm same thing but this time my doorbell got stuck and was left just buzzing and I had to open the door to unstick it. I have heard of others being harassed by this behavior. Since I have this construction right by my yard there are big bulldozers and huge piles of dirt which someone could easily hide behind. It didn't happen tonight so hopefully it was only a one night event.

Speaking of this construction they started at 6 am this morning and it was really loud with buzz saws and loud equipment. I put in ear plugs and tried to go back to sleep.

Chris, I am sorry you are back in your recliner and what sounds like fighting off nausea and a cold to boot. We had some very cold nights and now we are in a warm up which will go well into November.

Wendy, I am glad you are doing well on your new treatment. We lost a lot of leaves with rain and very windy conditions a few days ago. My first teaching position years ago was in Belvidere, IL which is close to the WI border. I remember playing in an ensemble that performed in Madison many years ago too.

Carol, you joked about it being Thursday I thought oh no that is my laundry day. Well that didn't happen. I just wasn't feeling up to it. Hopefully tomorrow. It is easy to lose track of time in my recliner.

Let's keep Teka and Wheatfields in our prayers for their surgeries on Monday. Wheatfields hopefully yours will happen then.

Have a good night dear sisters.

Love,

Nancy

• wheatfields
    edited October 2022

Hello ladies,

Nancy I'm glad you shared your experience, and pray that you are feeling better each day and can go with out the pain meds. I relate to what you are saying about pain meds. Also that there are no more sleep disturbances and you can get much needed rest. Chris, praying that you soon will be feeling stronger and better. Teka we are praying for your surgery on Monday. I know many people who have been very pleased with the outcome of their knee surgeries. My friend who is a nurse and I went to the dermatologist on Wednesday and thankfully what she had was a common rash and she got a script for an ointment. He also looked at the spot on my shin and said it looked appropriate for the surgery on Monday. He said the shin takes a long time to heal. So that is why we thought it looked far from healed after the biopsy on the 4th of October.

Praying for each of you and thank you for your prayers! Love, Wheatfields

• wheatfields
    edited October 2022

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2022

Wheatfields, I am glad your friend got some meds for her rash and it wasn't serious. Glad you got the green light for your procedure on Monday. I love that picture. What are those flowers? They are beautiful. The flower itself reminds me of a petunia but I doubt if that is what they are.

Teka, praying for you for Monday and for Wheatfields as well.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 704
    edited October 2022

Wheatfields, those are beautiful flowers. At first glance, they look like four o'clocks. I like how you captured the palm trees in the background, too.

• wheatfields
    edited October 2022

Hello ladies,

I don't know the names of flowers too well, but did a little research and these are called yellow elder. I didn't think I'd be able to post that picture but when I did it wouldn't let me say anything more about it. The yellow flower bushes are all around the independent living place in Arizona.

Wheatfields