Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

thread for middle age to older Christian women.

Comments

• bandwoman1234
    bandwoman1234 Member Posts: 5,872
    edited October 2022

Wheatfields, I looked up Yellow Elder. I don't get emails to my phone so I couldn't zoom in. After seeing pictures of it I see that it is like a trumpet shaped type of flower. I read where it can grow to be 10-30ft tall. That would be something go see. I bet the hummingbirds love those flowers. It is a beautiful flower and one which I had never heard of. You got a great shot with the pretty clouds in view.

Praying for you and Teka for your surgeries on Monday.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    gb2115 Member Posts: 553
    edited October 2022

Oh my ladies....I finally got a covid booster yesterday afternoon. Dragged my feet for a long time but I had a family member bugging me and I'm sharing work space with someone who lives with an immunocompromised family member. So off I went. The arm pain woke me up at 1:30 and by 4 am I was shaking like the flu. My entire body hurts, bone pain like after the first Zometa or Taxol. My goodness. This is on top of the arthritis. The other shots didn't do this to me. Hope I will be better for work tomorrow because I have an unusual amount of work to do next week (I've been off and no one else can do my work, sadly).

I feel like you're not supposed to take Tylenol after a vaccine but I might have to dose up here. :-/

• gb2115
    edited October 2022

Ahh, I have a fever. That's why I hurt. I will take Tylenol with some toast in a little bit here.

• intolight
    intolight Member Posts: 2,331
    edited October 2022

gb, I am praying for your pain and fever. Teka and wheatfields, I will pray for your surgeries tomorrow. Continued prayers for Nancy's recovery.

gb, my husband got really sick from his last Covid shot too and I still have a bad cold after catching it from him after. I am going to call it in to get some extra help as it has been over two weeks. It is why I am still hesitant to get mine... Arghh!!!

• hersheykiss
    hersheykiss Member Posts: 704
    edited October 2022

GB, Tylenol is fine to take after getting a COVID vaccine. It's the NSAIDS that are discouraged.

My husband received Pfizer's omicron vaccine and experienced no reactions; it's too soon for me (my last booster was in early September). Moderna's omicron vaccine is very limited in my area, so I will request Pfizer's when it's time. Our doctor is adamant about being up-to-date on vaccinations as COVID and flu cases are rising here.

• intolight
    edited October 2022

I didn't mean to say not to get the booster...I just have to wait until I am well. I have had three so far and am doing well with it. I have had to postpone starting my next oral chemo treatment also because of this cold. Just frustrated...

• gb2115
    edited October 2022

I've started vomiting now. :-(

• hersheykiss
    edited October 2022

Oh Chris, please forgive me. I didn't mean to insinuate that you were flat-out refusing to be vaccinated. I'm sorry if my post came off that way.

GB, I hope you feel better soon.

• sunshine99
    sunshine99 Member Posts: 2,723
    edited October 2022

gb, I'm sorry. I hope you feel better soon.

Nancy, how are you feeling?

To all the rest, I wish you a peaceful Sunday.

(((hugs)))

Carol

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2022

Chris, I am sorry to hear you are still sick. Maybe it is time to get something from your doctor. Praying you feel much better soon.

GB, I just had the latest booster on Oct. 5. I didn't have a really bad reaction like the first booster but I do remember feeling some nausea. I am so sorry you have been hit so hard with this. Hopefully it will be very short lived.

Wheatfields, praying for you for tomorrow. I am doing okay. My days are all centered around my bowel movements. I am growing to accept that these painful events are just a part of it and will one day I will be back to normal and hopefully with no complications.

Teka, praying for you for tomorrow.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    edited October 2022

I was able to eat some soup for dinner. What's weird is that the Tylenol is barely touching the fever and headache. It normally works well for me. Hoping to be back to normal tomorrow because I really don't want to call out after being out on vacation.

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2022

Teka,

I have had trouble sleeping so I can pray right at the beginning of your surgery if it is on time. I have been praying for you all through the evening on Sunday. Praying for a very successful surgery and for good pain control when you are in the hospital.

Love

Nancy

• sunshine99
    edited October 2022

teka, you are in my prayers!

Nancy, good to hear from you. I'm sorry your BMs are still painful. How long will that last or does anyone even know? I can imagine that "moving" anything past that area would be painful until it's fully healed.

gb, I hope you feel better soon!

Doesn't Chris have surgery today, too? I'm sorry I can't keep everything straight.

Carol

• intolight
    edited October 2022

Praying for Teka and Wheatfields during their surgeries. I am also praying for gb and her daily struggles with work and illness. And of course I am praying for Nancy to have daily improvement after her surgery.

Thank you Carol. I don't have surgery today but did have an eye appointment to see about my sudden floaties and eye problem. The doc says everything looks good and is just a vitreous pull which is common and should improve but he will watch it. Now I just have to recover from this cold which has been difficult. I will start my new medication as soon as I am better.

Have a safe Halloween everyone.

• bandwoman1234
    edited October 2022

Carol, I see that Chris posted and answered your question about surgery. I had to break down and resume my strong pain meds today. I went all day yesterday with only Tylenol and the two days prior to that I only had one pain pill each day. I knew today that I had to do something and so I am going to try only one pill today. I don't see my surgeon until Nov. 11 and I really wish I knew if things were okay because I almost feel like things are perhaps getting worse. Someone mentioned that lack of pain control can prolong recovery so I took that to heart. You probably all know how doctors are really dispensing opioids very conservatively. In fact if I had taken as prescribed it would have been only a five day supply when the surgeon told me I would be in a lot of pain for two weeks. I really don't want to ask for a refill. Actually I have only taken half of the bottle up to this point so we'll see. I was pushing the no pain pills because I needed to drive but I had some groceries delivered today so I can relax about no driving for a little while longer. How are you doing? I should take a picture of my backyard for you since you probably don't see many leaves like this in SD. Our landscapers mulched the leaves in my front yard and totally skipped the backyard thinking why bother, the leaves aren't all on the ground yet. I do get a kick out of watching the squirrels running around in all the leaves.

Teka and Wheatfields both had surgery today and we are all praying for both of you dear ladies.

GB I sure hope that your big reaction to the booster has dissipated and that you were able to go back to work today. Work is hard enough when you are feeling good and when you aren't it makes it so hard. You have struggled through a long journey and I hope that things will start getting easier for you.

Chris, I have been praying for your cold. Are you thinking about reaching out to your doctor for some meds? I wish you could have a long stretch of feeling good and being able to celebrate your no cancer status. You deserve a break!!!!

Hershey, how are you doing? I imagine you are getting the tons of flyers from all the different Medicare plans. I finally got some info on our new State plan and it does look like it might be cheaper with more benefits but as they say the proof is in the pudding. I hope you have been able to figure out which one is best for you.

Take care dear sisters. I hope you all have a safe Halloween. Thank you all for your continued prayers.

Love,

Nancy

• hersheykiss
    edited October 2022

Nancy, between all the Medicare and mid-term election fliers, I am swimming in paper! We are fortunate to have curbside recycling every other week; otherwise, we'd be driving multiple bags of paper to the recycling center. Open enrollment cannot end soon enough!

Loopy

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2022

Hershey, I agree. We do have curbside recycling every week but it is still a lot just for me. It is very foggy here tonight and looks appropriate for Halloween I suppose. Even with my lights outside turned off I still had a few ring my doorbell today and tonight. Luckily my doorbell didn't get stuck!!!

Have a good night.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    edited November 2022

I do feel better. That was a doozy, though. Thank you for praying for me.

• wheatfields
    wheatfields Member Posts: 180
    edited November 2022

GB I am so sorry you are having to deal with all of this, just trying to be healthy by getting a booster, and then work too. I've been praying that you would be feeling much better and things at work would calm. Chris, also praying for you and that you would soon be over your cold and feel rested. Hershey, I've been praying for you as you approach retirement and remember well those days, but it will all smooth out and you will enjoy it. Nancy, continuing in prayer for your healing. Where you said someone said the lack of pain control can prolong recovery sounds like my nurse friend. You sound like me trying hard not to have to take pain meds. Oh, yes Nancy there are lots of leaves in SD! (Just teasing, I know you mean San Diego) :). Praying for Teka a successful knee surgery, with good pain control. The spot is out now that the dermatologist removed yesterday. I didn't have the same nurse that I like to deaden things, and I thought she'd never stop sticking the shin to deaden it. But my friend tried to keep my mind off of it by asking me all about the church potluck we had on Sunday. Of course she knew the answers as well as I did, but it kept me on another subject for awhile. It has a pressure bandage on it now for a couple days, I was getting sick to my stomach while she was talking about washing it and re bandaging it every day after that. I was thinking, washing it, are you kidding. I don't like to even look at wounds. I'm supposed to keep the leg elevated as much as possible, that part sounds alright. Thank you so much for your prayers.

Love, Wheatfields

• weninwi
    weninwi Member Posts: 777
    edited November 2022

Today is All Saints Day. It's a day of obligation for Catholics (i.e. must attend Mass)...I will say a prayer for healing for everyone here. I grew up protestant and as a kid I loved to sing the hymn....."Holy, Holy, Holy! Lord God Almighty". The second verse starts out....."Holy, Holy, Holy! All the saints adore thee". I think it's still sung in many churches across denominations and I'm pretty sure we'll sing it today at my church. I love the poetry of the old hymns. I looked up the composer...Reginald Heber, English Anglican Bishop (d 1826).

Sunny and mild again in southern Wisconsin!

Wendy

• intolight
    edited November 2022

gb, glad you are feeling better. Sorry you have to go through this.

weninwi, that was the first hymn in our Nazarene (protestant) hymnal. I love the old hymns and sometimes read through them in my devotional time. When I lived at the beach I would sometimes walk along the shoreline singing them--loudly. The crashing waves would muffle my singing. I miss that!

• sunshine99
    edited November 2022

Nancy, I'm sorry you're still in pain. I'm not a fan of pills, but I would definitely take them to keep on top of the pain. Who knew that pain could prolong your recovery?

Gb, I'm glad you're starting to feel better!

Re: the leaves in San Diego, we used to have a beautiful liquid amber (I think that's what it was) in our church courtyard that would turn beautiful colors in the fall. I do miss Maine autumn colors, though.

Wheatfields, ooh, that would make me squeamish! I hope it heals well without you having to look at it!

Teka, I hope your recovery is going well.

Hi Wendy! I love that hymn!

Intolight, did you attend PLNU? Some good friends went there and we go there sometimes just to watch the sunset. My husband also likes to surf there.

Wow, how did it get to be November 1st already?

• intolight
    edited November 2022

Sunshine, Yes I attended PLNU (before it moved to San Diego.) My husband was in the last graduating class in Pasadena before it moved. When we moved back to SD, my husband was a dean and I was associate director of Teaching and Learning, basically a staff developer trying to help professors become more successful with their students. In the inbetween time I earned a PhD in Education from Denver University so I came full circle. We love PLNU. I have a son who graduated from there.

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2022

GB, I'm glad you are feeling better. Now we hope these last boosters will protect us. Hard to believe we are still dealing with Covid.

Wendy, Holy, Holy, Holy is one of my favorite hymns. Before the pandemic I volunteered at an Assisted Living facility. My ministry partner and I ministered on the Alzheimer's floor for many years. I would get choked up singing that one. My Mom died of Alzheimer's just two years ago and it really touched me seeing some of these residents that were almost unresponsive start singing the old hymns with us. Music is powerful.

Carol, I hope to remember to take a pic of my backyard. I am not holding my breath on the landscapers whisking away all of the leaves yet.

Chris, I hope you feel much better each day.

Teka, we're praying for you. I hope you are getting the luxury hospital treatment.

Wheatfields, I was wondering about the pokes you would get. I am not afraid of needles but I too am very squeamish about procedures that I am awake for and I have literally gotten sick with two different procedures so I totally get it. I am glad that is over and now I hope you can deal with the bandaging. I have to deal with that now too but I can't really see the wound which would be visible if I chose to look which I haven't. I had internal and external work done. Praying you can handle the bandage changes.

Have a good day everyone.

Love,

Nancy

This is a pic of one my red ember maple trees from a previous fall.

• sunshine99
    edited November 2022

Intolight, that's so great. I don't remember if I knew that about you.

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2022

There were three of us posting at similar times. Chris, I didn't know you had a doctorate either but I may have missed it in the past. I can't scroll back now but what university were you both talking about? I was a grad teaching assistant so I got a taste of teaching college for one year. Actually teaching elementary was always my first love though which is always a shock for other band directors to hear.

• intolight
    edited November 2022

Nancy, beautiful tree! The university is Point Loma Nazarene University. It sits nestled in a residential area along the coast of Point Loma along the Pacific Ocean. We could watch the sunset from my husband's office! A lot of the students surfed outside their dorms. My son said he rarely shut the window of his dorm that looked out over the water. He kept his same room all four years. My office wasn't as grand, but it was still nice.

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2022

Thank you Chris. I have two of those trees in my backyard. They are really pretty and they make one of my rooms upstairs have a red glow to it when they are at their peak. Your university sounds like a beautiful area. Watching a gorgeous sunset every night would be really special. How are you feeling today? After texting with my sister I finally reached out to my surgeon for more pain pills. I understand that they prescribe those opioids VERY conservatively now so I made very sure that he knew I was not abusing them. I did read on my post op notes that pain needs to be adequately managed and the last few days have not when I tried to cut down so we'll see what they do.

I got out my heating pad yesterday and that really does help too. I hope to do my zoom Bible study tonight. I was all ready to do it last Tuesday and I realized it was just too much at that point.

Take care.

Love,

Nancy

• bandwoman1234
    edited November 2022

Dear Teka's husband. Thank you for letting us know. That is great news and it sounds like she is doing well. We are all praying for her complete recovery. I hope you are doing well too.

Love,

Nancy

• gb2115
    edited November 2022

I think it's frustrating that apparently covid is here to stay. Unfortunately flu season is ramping up. I wish I could be one of those carefree types that didn't worry about this stuff. I'm aware of a colleague that I'm about to possibly be around (unless they decide to do the right thing and stay at home), who is quite possibly still flu contagious. I'm praying for God's mercy in this, because this colleague is the type who will come in sick acting like they are fine, wear a mask around their mouth, and no one is the boss of them, so it's not like anyone, even my boss, can really send them home. It's also someone who should know better.

I wish I could do my work from my car, lol. I can try to avoid, but I can't control that very well since I don't have my private office back yet. I'll tighten up my KN95 I guess. I got my flu shot 3 weeks ago.

I just have no interest in being sick. Last time I had the flu it took weeks to get better, plus I'm only 2 weeks off from the next Zoladex. Those are getting old. Maybe I should just get the oophorectomy done so I can stop worrying about missing the shots.