Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Book Lovers Club

Options

Comments

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,029
    edited June 2021
    Options

I just finished a fascinating book: FDR's Funeral Train: A Betrayed Widow, a Soviet Spy, and a Presidency in the Balance by Robert Klara
    This book weaves together information from long-forgotten diaries and declassified Secret Service documents. It tells the story of the three-day, thousand mile trip made by the funeral train carrying the body of Franklin D. Roosevelt home to New York after his sudden death in 1945. (For some unknown reason, the powers-that-be thought it was okay to put every important elected figure in Washington on a single train during the biggest war in history!) The author does a great job of letting the reader peak behind the darkened windows of the train to find out what was happening onboard. It also tells, what I found to be, a very interesting story of the trains of that era and the men who worked on and ran them.

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited June 2021
    Options

Since I read about Irwin Miller and am planning a trip to Columbus, Indiana, I just finished reading Tom Wolfe’s From Bauhaus to Our House. Learned more and more about Yale’s legendary school of architecture which had a big influence on Columbus, Indiana. Learning so much about the International Style of architecture…..interesting to read about Bauhaus. Can never learn enough about architecture…..

that said, boy oh boy, does Tom Wolfe pack a punch, and yet be so funny

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited June 2021
    Options

VR - sounds like good reads, not to mention a trip in the offing. I agree about Tom Wolfe.

Because I have been focused on getting my house repaired & back in order after the "repiping" and ceilings coming down (not freeze related but...) I have read one book since April 1st. Usually I read several a week.

Couldn't sleep last night so I picked up a Deborah Crombie that I had waiting "The Bitter Feast". I like her books about Kinkaid & Gemma and 'The Met', and it has lots of fascinating details about Micheiln chefs and restaurant culture and training Collies to herd sheep.

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited June 2021
    Options

For those who like fictional books, I recently read 5 books that I can recommend:

The Woman in the Window, by AJ Finm (now on Netflix

The Storyteller's Sscret: A Novel, by Sejal Bandani

The Shadow Box, by Luanne Rice

Anxious People by Fredrik Backman

In an Instant, by Suzanne Redfearn

• carolehalston
    carolehalston Member Posts: 7,876
    edited June 2021
    Options

I liked the Woman in the Window. I bought the Kindle version rather than wait until it was available at the library in ebook form.

I'm reading a Jo Nesbo novel called Kingdom. It's not a Harry Hole crime detective story but is about two brothers in a mountain town in Norway. The narrative is very good reading. As I'm nearing the end, I'm expecting a tragic conclusion.

• voraciousreader
    edited June 2021
    Options

minus...i am hoping that my favorite author, Geoff Dyer, chooses, one day, to write about architecture....

What was so fascinating about the Wolfe book was that he was on the cusp of noticing Post Modernism. Most of what he observed was spot on. Having read the book, I now have a new understanding of what I am now seeing being built....are we past Post Modernism? And, what the heck are we going to label Post, Post Modernism. Art Deco's name didn't arive until the 1960's. Not sure what people who were living in the 1930's called it....hmmmmm....

• jkl2017
    jkl2017 Member Posts: 279
    edited June 2021
    Options

I just finished reading The Lost Manuscript by Cathy Bonidan and highly recommend it. I think I reserved it after someone on this thread mentioned it - thank you so much! It was a lovely book and was wonderfully sweet. Just the distraction I needed!

• voraciousreader
    edited June 2021
    Options

This week, my favorite author, Geoff Dyer latest book, See/Saw was published. Its in my hands now. I am so delighted…but also a little sad. Usually, when a new book of his is published, he usually sets out on a few book events, Obviously, Covid has made it impossible for me to see him and other devoted fans of his writing…..

Regardless, the reviews of his book are out and they are excellent, as always

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    edited June 2021
    Options

VR, I love the feeling of holding a new book by a favorite author! I’m reading “The Only Woman in the Room” by Marie Benedict. It’s historical fiction. During WWII Hedy Lamarr is privy to insider info about the Nazi’s plans because she’s married to an Austrian arms dealer. She moved to Hollywood, became an actress and used her skills to design a torpedo guidance system. Some of the technology she designed led into WiFi and Bluetooth! I’m really enjoying it so far. Next up is a book for my book group: “Brown Girl Dreaming” by Jacqueline Woodson. It’s a memoir, told in verse.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2021
    Options

I just downloaded The Lost Manuscript & will have to check out Dyer's latest. I enjoyed The Only Woman in the Room. I had no idea she had a whole other life!

• ruthbru
    edited June 2021
    Options

• minustwo
    edited June 2021
    Options

Love that Ruth. Thanks for posting.

• voraciousreader
    edited June 2021
    Options

since we are all book lovers, let’s play a silly little game. Make up your own little quote about books. I will start.

“Despite what literary mavens might tell you about plowing through a book you may not be in love with, this literary maven says it is ok to abandon the plow.”

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited June 2021
    Options

"My library card is my passport. Books take me all over the world to meet new people and see old friends."

• sandibeach57
    edited June 2021
    Options

"My books are like coffee and chocolate, can't live without any of those".

• ruthbru
    edited June 2021
    Options

All I need is a book, and a nook........also a cook, a cook would be nice 🙂

• voraciousreader
    edited June 2021
    Options

all gems! Keep ‘em comin

• ruthbru
    edited June 2021
    Options

This is one of my favorite poems about reading to kids....of course, you could change it to a reading father, and the boy to a girl.

The Reading Mother
    By Strickland Gillilan

I had a mother who read to me
    Sagas of pirates who scoured the sea,
    Cutlasses clenched in their yellow teeth,
    "Blackbirds" stowed in the hold beneath.

I had a Mother who read me lays
    Of ancient and gallant and golden days;
    Stories of Marmion and Ivanhoe,
    Which every boy has a right to know.

I had a Mother who read me tales
    Of Gelert the hound of the hills of Wales,
    True to his trust till his tragic death,
    Faithfulness blent with his final breath.

I had a Mother who read me the things
    That wholesome life to the boy heart brings –
    Stories that stir with an upward touch,
    Oh, that each mother of boys were such!

You may have tangible wealth untold;
    Caskets of jewels and coffers of gold.
    Richer than I you can never be –
    I had a Mother who read to me.

• l8blmr
    l8blmr Member Posts: 86
    edited June 2021
    Options

"Have book.....will travel."

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    edited June 2021
    Options

Just one more chapter.....

• ruthbru
    edited June 2021
    Options

"Just 10 more minutes, and then I HAVE to turn off the light." (Flash forward) "Oh crap, it's 2am!"

• minustwo
    edited June 2021
    Options

double flash forward - "oh crap now it's 4am" Might a well finish the book.

• sandibeach57
    edited June 2021
    Options

"You know when you depend on a Kindle too much when you turn off the light to read a real book."

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,200
    edited June 2021
    Options

"Books take me on far flung travels, let me experience a full range of emotions, and fulfill my brain's need for knowledge and growth. No other thing in life can do so much as what happens within its two covers".

• badger
    edited June 2021
    Options

"The one place I still get carded ... the library!"

Edit to add: I said this to the librarian who checked out my books this afternoon. She chuckled and said they were happy to help people feel young.

• minustwo
    edited June 2021
    Options

Love it Badger!!!!

• badger
    edited June 2021
    Options

Books I've enjoyed the last fortnight: Simple Dreams by Linda Ronstadt, a very well-written autobiography of a woman I admire; Ocean Prey, the new Lucas Davenport by John Sandford; Payback, the new Sunny Randall by Mike Lupica obo Robert B. Parker; The Newcomer, a new summer beach read by Mary Kay Andrews; Twisted Twenty Six and Tantalizing Twenty Seven (Fortune and Glory) by Janet Evanovich. Grandma Mazur, always a hoot, marries a mobster who drops dead an hour later without revealing the location of keys to access some hidden treasure, keys his fellow mobsters would very much like and are willing to kill for.

Currently reading Wild Women and the Blues, the debut novel by Denny S. Bryce. The story goes between 1925 with a beautiful flapper and 2015 with a young man who is writing her story - she's 110 years old at this point. Really good so far. Next up is a book that was recommended here: The Only Woman in the Room. Mom really enjoyed it and I will, too.

• ruthbru
    edited June 2021
    Options

• badger
    edited June 2021
    Options

A suggestion for the cozy mystery fans: the Agatha Raisin books by M.C. Beaton. Mom read one and asked for more. She's reading her way through the series.

Finished the two books I mentioned above, both very good. Hedy Lamarr was an amazing woman! Next up is The Survivors by Jane Harper.

• betrayal
    betrayal Member Posts: 2,200
    edited June 2021
    Options

Badger: The Agatha Raisin series on Acorn TV was quite entertaining and I am hoping they post series 2 in the future.

I just read a very good book about Kathleen "Kick" Kennedy, the sister of JFK. It is titled, "Kick" Kennedy: The Charmed Life and Death of The Favorite Kennedy Daughter" by Barbara Leaming. It is non-fcition and Ms. Leaming's vocabulary can be a bit stilted but I really enjoyed reading this book. It's now available in paperback on Amazon.