Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Book Lovers Club

Options

Comments

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    edited June 2021
    Options

betrayal…I second the Kick Kennedy book. It was excellent

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    edited July 2021
    Options

The Survivors was very good. As with most of Jane Harper's books, it starts slowly and builds. In this case, the mystery is the disappearance of a young woman during a storm. You don't find out whodunnit until the last few pages.

Was happy to learn that one of my fave crime novelists, Lorenza Carcaterra, has a new series featuring retired NYC detective Tank Rizzo. Just finished Tin Badges (2019) and looking forward to Payback (2020). LC hadn't written a new book in quite a while.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,028
    edited July 2021
    Options

I just read an extremely interesting book, CIRCE, by MADELINE MILLER. If you are familiar with Greek mythology, you might recognize Circe as the minor goddess who helps Odysseus on his epic voyage home. This book brings all the gods, goddesses, heroes, monsters etc. alive and weaves the story through the eyes of Circe. I have never been a big fan of mythology myself but this was wonderful!

• ruthbru
    edited July 2021
    Options

Another interesting book I read recently is Revolutionary Medicine: The Founding Fathers and Mothers in Sickness and in Health by Jeanne E. Abrams . It looks at health care in the 1700s-early 1800s through the eyes and experiences of some of our Founding Fathers & Mothers. Since we are living through through a pandemic ourselves, the efforts to vaccinate people for smallpox was especially fasinating to me.

• badger
    edited July 2021
    Options

I'm #98 on the wait list for Jennifer Chiaverini's new book The Women's March: A Novel of the 1913 Woman Suffrage Procession, "an enthralling historical novel of the woman's suffrage movement inspired by three courageous women who bravely risked their lives and liberty in the fight to win the vote." https://www.goodreads.com/en/book/show/55809796-the-women-s-march

Also waiting for The Weaver's Revenge, the new Chloe Ellefson by Kathleen Ernst, and The President's Daughter by Bill Clinton and James Patterson.

Been reading the Anna Pigeon series by Nevada Barr. She's a National Park Service ranger who solves mysteries.

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,116
    edited July 2021
    Options

Oh Badger I love the Anna Pigeon series. Do you think your Mom would like these after she finished Agatha Raisin? I've actually saved the Nevada Barr books to read again.

My books were all packed away when you originally asked your question. I think Susan Whittig Albert would be perfect. What about Amanda Cross? I know Carolyn Heilbrun is dead so they might be hard to find. Maybe Anne Rivers Siddons?

• sandibeach57
    sandibeach57 Member Posts: 1,387
    edited July 2021
    Options

I just finished The Alice Network by Kate Quinn. It is historical fiction and loosely based on a female French/British spy during WWI and spans past WWII.

I liked it . The only issue I had is that the relationship between the lost friend Rose and the WWII main character was overdone.

• badger
    edited July 2021
    Options

Minus, thanks for the recs. Mom didn't finish the Agatha Raisin series because, "All she wants to do is get married." She does like Mrs. Pollifax by Dorothy Gilman, the Needlecraft Mysteries by Monica Ferris, the Death on Demand series by Carolyn Hart, and the Hemlock Falls mysteries by Claudia Bishop. She also likes romance novels: anything by Jane Feather (is that her real name? LOL), Susan Wiggs, and Mary Kay Andrews. She likes Jennifer Chiaverini - her Elm Creek Quilt series and her historical fiction such as Mrs. Lincoln's Dressmaker. Also, the Chloe Ellefson books by Kathleen Ernst (the fictional protagonist works as a curator at Old World Wisconsin, a real-life historical site).

Sandi, I just checked out Kate Quinn's new Book The Rose Code. It's historical fiction. The story centers around three code-cracking women in WWII London.

Meanwhile, I'm working my way through Anna Pigeon - really like her - and just picked up the first two books in the Fox & O'Hare series by Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg. [Nicolas Fox is a charming con man and master thief on the run. Kate O'Hare is the FBI agent who is hot on his trail. At least that's what everyone thinks. In reality, Fox and O'Hare are secretly working together to bring down super-criminals the law can't touch.]

• GreenHarbor
    GreenHarbor Member Posts: 187
    edited July 2021
    Options

Love, love, love Janet Evanovich’s Stephanie Plum books! I’ll add the Fox & O’Hare series to my list.

• sundance11
    sundance11 Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2021
    Options

I read Anxious People by Fredrik Backman over the weekend. I've never read this author before and wasn't sure what to expect and am pleased to report that I very much enjoyed the book. It's so many things – drama, mystery, comedy, but most of all, I felt that it was a beautiful depiction of humanity itself. When I put it on my list of books to read, I had read a quote somewhere that described the book as telling the story of "a crime that never took place, a would-be bank robber who disappears into thin air, and eight extremely anxious strangers who find they have more in common than they ever imagined." The story is quirky (very!), insightful, heartwarming, sad, and humorous all at the same time with poignant observations about life, death, suicide, love, marriage, divorce, parenting...and so much more.

• kathindc
    kathindc Member Posts: 1,667
    edited August 2021
    Options

I have thoroughly enjoyed all of Backman’s books for the same reason you like Anxious People.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2021
    Options

• minustwo
    edited August 2021
    Options

Thanks Ruth - that's great.

Reading an old Sue Grafton - "U" I think. Not as riveting as I remember they used to be.

I can't give enough praise to Vivian Gornick's "Fierce Attachments". Memoir of her lifelong battle for independence. "weaves between the working-class Bronx home where (she) grew up and her later, tempestuous walks with her aged mother through the streets of Manhattan." I will read it again sooner rather than later.

Dipped into the intro & first chapter of the translation of Italo Calvino's "If On A Winter's Night a Traveler". Yes, it's eccentric but the intro totally drew me in... 'You are about to begin reading Italo Cavino's new novel... Relax. Concentrate. Dispel every other thought. Let the world around you fade...'

I don't do well at reading two books at a time, but I had lots of doc appointments this week & knew I wouldn't be able to concentrate on Calvino - ergo Grafton.

• voraciousreader
    edited August 2021
    Options

ruth…great!

Been stuck on reading Geoff Dyer's new book on photography. Have now discovered all of these new photographers that VR knew NOTHING about. So…now VR is reading photography books.

Heading over to the Botanical Gardens in September to see an exhibit on Yayoi Kusama. Saw a documentary on her and read Robert Shore's brief history of her…

brain is exploding…

and to top it al off..heading to The Brooklyn Museum in a few days to see the Presidential portrait of Obama and the official First Lady portrait of Michelle. The former is painted by Kehinde Wilde.I am a fan of his work. Saw a painting of his at the Boston Museum of Fine Arts AND there is a painting of his at the Brooklyn Museum as well. For RuthBaderGinsburg fans, there is a painting att the Brooklyn Museumas well, by another artist. She donated the painting to the museum shortly before her death. That painting is fabulous.

nuf said. Stay well sisters

• magiclight
    magiclight Member Posts: 6,656
    edited August 2021
    Options

I have not been to the Human Library because it is not in my area, The Human Library

The Human Library® is, in the true sense of the word, a library of people. We host events where readers can borrow human beings serving as open books and have conversations they would not normally have access to. Every human book from our bookshelf, represent a group in our society that is often subjected to prejudice, stigmatization or discrimination because of their lifestyle, diagnosis, belief, disability, social status, ethnic origin etc.

Humanlibrary.org

• minustwo
    edited August 2021
    Options

Fascinating MagicLight. Thanks for sharing.

• magiclight
    edited August 2021
    Options

I want this cake to share with all book lovers.

• voraciousreader
    edited August 2021
    Options

yummmmm…eeeeee!

• ruthbru
    edited August 2021
    Options

Wow!

• jkl2017
    jkl2017 Member Posts: 279
    edited August 2021
    Options

I just finished a short, but very interesting, book by Tom Nichols called The Death of Expertise. Published in 2017, it predates Covid but is eerily appropriate to current events. Nichols is a (formerly Republican) Conservative who makes some thought-provoking observations about the attitudes in this country and the effect they are having on the very survival of our nation. (Don't let his conservative credentials keep you from reading this book; it really didn't have a political agenda.)

Now I'm going to balance that by reading something frivolous and fun … any suggestions?

• minustwo
    edited August 2021
    Options

JKL- interesting that my ex-DH ordered 5 copies for everyone he knows of Tom Nichols 2021 book - Our Own Worst Enemy. (The assault from within on Modern Democracy). He brought me one last week & it's on the top of my pile Since he had dyslexia that was un-diagnosed as a child, and probably hasn't purchased 3 books in 30 years (or even read 3 book in 30 years except work related books), I'll read it; It helps that the book is only 225 pages.

• voraciousreader
    edited August 2021
    Options

mental Floss has a new book about…books!

the Curious Reader…A literary Miscellany of Novels and Novelists. Couldn’t put it down! Packed with interesting stories about books and authors. Anyone enjoy reading the Mental Floss website? Addictive. It is filled with so much information that you probably could have never guessed…when I finish reading the site, I wonder if I am ever going to remember the stuff and even if I do, when am I going to use whatever info I remember in aconversation…,

• ruthbru
    edited August 2021
    Options

I'm reading a book that is causing me to laugh out loud every once and awhile. The One Hundred Years of Lenni & Margot by Marianne Cronin. An seriously ill teenage girl and an elderly lady strike up an unlikely friendship. I'm not too far in, but so far it has been delightful.

• jkl2017
    jkl2017 Member Posts: 279
    edited August 2021
    Options

Minus, that's interesting because I originally went to my library looking for Our Own Worst Enemy and only picked up The Death of Expertise when I couldn't find it. Your post makes me want to read it even more! (I read far too many books to buy any but those I know I'll read over and over.)

Ruth, that book is on my library reserve list; so many people have recommended it to me!

• magiclight
    edited August 2021
    Options

About 3/4 way through Louise Penny's latest book, Madness of Crowds. I'm finding the content much richer than her last one. I love it when a novel introduces a scandal that is all too believable because it is based on real historical events. No, I will not reveal that secret, but I left the book aside for awhile in order to dig into the online information. Humans, sometimes we suck!!

Ruth, thanks for the reminder about the Mental Floss website.

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,440
    edited September 2021
    Options

Finally got Gone with the Wind, can’t wait to read it. Reading two other books first.

• ruthbru
    edited September 2021
    Options

VR, did you know that Erik Larson is debuting his first work of fiction at the end of the month? No One Goes Alone, it's a ghost story and will be released as an audiobook only.

• voraciousreader
    edited September 2021
    Options

ruth! Now that's news to me! I am still curious what he is working on next….

Wrapping up my summer reading…finished Geoff Dyer's See/Saw. Read numerous photography books. Ended the experience with Vivian Maier's The Color Work. Dyer wrote about her and I was already familar with her black and white photography. That said, her color photographs, which I had previously knew nothing about, were amazing..

Also read Michio Kaku's The God Equation

• m0mmyof3
    m0mmyof3 Member Posts: 9,440
    edited September 2021
    Options

Finally finished the two other books I was reading. Gonna start my new book tomorrow.

• teedoff
    teedoff Member Posts: 63
    edited September 2021
    Options

I just found this thread and love hearing what everyone is reading. I recently finished Louise Penny’s The Madness of Crowds, the latest entry in her Inspector Gamache series of mysteries set in Quebec and the fictional village of Three Pines. What an amazingly insightful look at how human behavior can be influenced during a crisis. Yes, it is a mystery; however it rises above a typical whodunnit. Take a look at some online reviews and see if it piques your interest.

Next up for me is Jane Harper’s The Dry.