Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Book Lovers Club

Options

Comments

• iodine
    iodine Member Posts: 869
    edited August 2010
    Options

I'm starting a collection of Henry James books.  Ya'll have probably already them, but what can I say, it takes me a while. 

• NatureGrrl
    NatureGrrl Member Posts: 681
    edited August 2010
    Options

I read one of his but that was some time ago, and I love going back to the classics -- I'll add Henry James to my list!  The only one I have trouble with is Faulkner, his writing style can be a bit hard to interpret, but I love authors like Steinbeck, Edith Wharton, Willa Cather, Fitzgerald, etc... thanks for reminding me to take that list next library trip!

• AnneW
    AnneW Member Posts: 612
    edited August 2010
    Options

Every now and again I get motivated to tackle Faulkner. I think AS I LAY DYING was the easiest. Most I just have to read for the flow and train of thought. If I think too much, I get lost. But I always need to pull out a reference book I have that gives the book's genaology--to keep the characters straight!

Dotti, I don't think I've ever read Henry James. What should I start with?

I'm going to get a Kindle and download the classics that I have never read before. Cheaper than new books for download!

Anne

• iodine
    edited August 2010
    Options

Anne, I wish I could tell you, but I'm just beginning.  I discovered a book of 5 books, and the first one is " Daisy Miller", on Amazon.  I am a heavy duty Dickens fan and cry when I read Tale of Two Cities, and have since I read it in high school. 

Oldies and favs: Above-, Dickens, ; Pillars of the Earth(Follet), a miniseries began last Sun.on ???Starz?

• NatureGrrl
    edited August 2010
    Options

I read "Turn of the Screw" but don't remember details except that it was a bit dark...

Some of the classics (those beyond copyright dates) are available free to download, check Planet eBook, Project Gutenberg, and others; there are 1000's of free books (although some are really obscure!) so check before you buy.  It seems every ebook reader has a specific list of file types you can download so you might want to look into that, in case it makes a difference what ebook reader you like, but I think Kindle is compatible with a number of file types.  Almost makes buying an ebook reader worthwhile even if you never buy a book!

I agree, "As I Lay Dying" was much easier to read than some of his other books, and you're right, you really have to just let go and let the stream of consciousness flow over you! 

I've started "The Devil in the White City," which is historical and non-fiction, but so far reads a bit like fiction, and the details of that time (late 1800's-early 1900's) are fascinating.  I grew up in Chicago (the book is about the Chicago World's Fair and a serial murderer -- who knew!) so I'm especially enjoying it.

Have to read "Eat Pray Love" next so I can go see the movie.... hope the movie isn't a let down!

• caltex_catlady
    caltex_catlady Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2010
    Options

I read "The Devil in the White City" for my book club last year. I don't read much non-fiction but, like NatureGrrl says, it reads like fiction because the events are pretty amazing. I enjoyed the historical details.

Speaking of historical, I'm now on the fourth book in the mystery series by Ariana Franklin that starts with "Mistress of the Art of Death." It's set in 12th century England, and the main character is a female doctor who happens to know a lot about dead bodies, so she gets called on to find out how people died. The medieval history is very interesting, especially the everyday lives of women. I recommend the series.

I also recently finished another book ("City of Shadows") by the same author that's set in 1920s Berlin, with the backdrop of rising Nazism. There's a strong female character in the lead again and not just an ordinary murder mystery but one that involves someone who may or may not be Russia's Anastasia. Also recommended.

I may have to switch to something modern and fluffy for a while now Wink

Karen

• WellWater
    WellWater Member Posts: 4,524
    edited August 2010
    Options

May I ask a (stupid) question? 

I don't have a kindle or e-book reader but have thought about getting one.  There was a blurb in my local paper that said the library has books availabe for download onto an e-book reader (certain ones) and that if you don't renew before the 2 week period is up, not to worry it will 'disappear" and you can go back and re-download for another 2 weeks.

So my question is this:  When you download a book, doesn't it stay there until YOU delete it?  Why would the library put a 2 week limit on a download?  Am I reading this correctly? 

TIA for an explanation.

• caltex_catlady
    caltex_catlady Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hi WellWater:

The libraries have to deal with publishers who don't want people getting and keeping free electronic copies of their books, so the services the libraries use (like OverDrive) get the publishers to compromise because they automatically make the book inaccessible after the checkout period expires. For my library, it's three weeks. This works fine for me.

I have the Sony Pocket Reader and like it quite a bit. Being able to check out public library books is the main reason I didn't go for a Kindle. I'm not sure which of the other readers will also work with libraries, but I know the Sony readers do. I don't know if the new Kindles have changed and can now do this.

With the Sony readers (probably true of the others, but I don't have experience with them), you have some software on your computer (sort of like iTunes) that shows what's available on your reader and organizes it. When my library book expires, I just delete it from here so that it no longer shows up on the reader. Otherwise, when you try to open it, it says it's not available or something (I don't remember the exact wording). On my software, I make collections so I can jump right to mystery, non-fiction, kids' books, whatever categories I want. I buy books as well, so it's not all library books. In fact, I make another category for library books so it's easier to see which ones might need to be deleted. The software shows you how many days you have left on your checkout period.

Hope this helps!

Karen

• AnneW
    edited August 2010
    Options

ruthbru, I finished Loving Frank, and was SO not prepared for the ending. I couldn't hate Frank, as much as he annoyed me. The end really explained his love for Mamah, and I found myself forgiving her for sticking with him...I thought it was a really good story.

Now, I'll get back to The Lacuna, and just skip over the preachy political stuff...

Anne

• msmpatty
    msmpatty Member Posts: 35
    edited August 2010
    Options

Anne - I hope you do go back to The Lacuna.  I'm almost finished with it.  The political stuff does make sense once you see where it is headed...the McCarthy era.  Those were some really bad times!

Karen - Thanks for your comment on Mistress of the Art of Death.  I read that a couple years ago but didn't realize there are now four more in the series.  Yeah!

I have a Kindle.   I really like it.  It's so portable and no matter where I am, if I finish a book all I have to do is download another one and I'm off and reading.   I must admit, though, that I feel a little guilty about it.  When I go to the coffee shop next door to my favorite independent book store I either bring a magazine or hide in the corner hunched over my little Kindle.  

Patty

• AnneW
    edited August 2010
    Options

Kingsolver has a way of pushing an agenda, and usually I can tolerate it just fine in her books. I'm picking The Lacuna back up today, especially once my sister told me the last half of it takes place near where we used to live.

But I'm still thinking about Frank Lloyd Wright and Mamah Cheney. Wow. Now that's a good author, when you are still feeling the book a day or more after you put it down!

Anne

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,992
    edited August 2010
    Options

Anne, here is some interesting information about Frank Lloyd Wright's personal life:

1. his own parents were divorced when he was 14

2. In 1889, he married his first wife, Catherine (Kitty), with whom he had 6 children. They had been married 20 years when he met Mamah (but he was already known as a 'man about town' before then). Interestingly, Kitty did not divorce him until 1922. (1914 is when our book ended).

3. After the Mamah story, while still married, he had an affair with and then married a woman named Maude Hoel; she was addicted to morphine, so that didn't work out so well (another novel?).

4. While still married to Maude, he met and began an affair with a married Russian woman named Olga. They had an out-of-wedlock daughter in 1925. He had rebuilt Talieson, but crossed wires in the newly installed telephone system, caused a fire that destroyed the house again (he rebuilt it a third time).

5. In 1926, Olga's ex sued for custody of his and Olga's daughter AND Wright & Olga were charged with violating the Mann Act (a law forbiding 'immoral' behavior), the charges were later dropped (another novel?).

6. In 1927, Wright and the morphine addicted wife finally divorce (I believe I would have become addicted to morphine too if I were married to him!).

7. 1928, Wright and Olga marry.

And now you know the rest of the story! Surprised

• WellWater
    edited August 2010
    Options

Karen:  thanks for the explanation, I have more of an understanding now.

I still am somewhat reluctant - what if you lose your e-book reader?  All your books would be gone.  I always have 3 books going in 3 different locations - work, home and the car.  I shudder to think of losing all 3 at one time!  But maybe I'll stick my toe in the water soon.

Just finished Sarah's Key......another kudos for this amazing book.

Trina 

• AnneW
    edited August 2010
    Options

ruth, I had read a bit about FLW on Wikipedia, so I knew about the next wives (that they existed, not all those juicy sordid details!) I held off reading about Mamah, and I'm so glad I did, or the ending would have been blown for me. What a tragedy.

I need to search out more books about FLW. He's fascinating me, in a morbid sort of way. I'll try to find some historical fiction, rather than a straight biography. Fiction is more fun!

Trina, I loved Sarah's Key. Follow that up with The Book Thief, if you haven't read it and can handle another WWII Germany tale.

Anne

• ruthbru
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I would highly recommend The Book Thief too!!
  • ginadmc
    ginadmc Member Posts: 183
    edited August 2010
    Options

AnneW - I loved Sarah's Key and The Book Thief, too! I recently bought Those Who Save Us by Jenna Blum. It's another WWII but I haven't started it yet.

Just finished Backseat Saints by Joshilyn Jackson. It was a good read. Her books are set in the South so there is quite a bit of Southern-isms, culture and eccentric characters. I really liked her older books - gods in Alabama (best first sentence in a book, ever!) and Between, Georgia.

It sounds like I should read Loving Frank, especially since I live in WI. Our convention center was designed by him, as well as many homes in Madison. Spring Green is a beautiful area of WI. Best to visit in the summer ~~ winters can be rough!  Gina

• candie1971
    candie1971 Member Posts: 2,467
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hi, I am almost finished with Laura Bush's book..I have Howie Mandel's next and ready to read.

I like bio and autobio's and true stories. I buy most of my books from half.com...great prices and quick shipping. Check it out.

Also, I read Eat,Love,Pray when it first came out...loved it!! The movie will be released soon

Have a great day,

Candie

• tamgam
    tamgam Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2010
    Options

I liked Eat, Love, Pray and bought another book by same author. Not a good read-  I did not even finish it!  Can't remember the name.  Will post if it comes to me.  LOVED the BOOK THIEF too.  I am in the middle of a book slump.  I am looking for something that really gets my interest.  I have lots of the mainstream books waiting for me but can't get into them. Need a real out the box read.  Suggestions? 

• AnneW
    edited August 2010
    Options

Try THE SAMURAI'S GARDEN by Gail Tsukiyama. That's a favorite of mine from several years ago--a beautifully written story. Just popped into my head for some reason.

Anne

• ruthbru
    edited August 2010
    Options

Craig Ferguson's American On Purpose is good and out of the box.

• WellWater
    edited August 2010
    Options

I am fascinated by the Romanov's, the last Tsar of Russia, and found these 3 books very enjoyable.  Fact-based fiction, they are not complicated and give an entertaining view of the last days of the Tsar and his family.

All written by Robert Alexander:  The Romanov Bride, The Kitchen Boy and Rasputin's Daughter. 

I bought them on Amazon in the used book section.

Happy reading everyone!

Trina

• AnneW
    edited August 2010
    Options

Trina, I should read those. I loved reading Nicholas and Alexandria whe I was younger. In fact, that would be worthy of a re-read!

Anne

• ruthbru
    edited August 2010
    Options

If you like books about Nicholas and Alexandria, and would like to read what really happened to them in a non-fiction book (that really reads like a novel), check out The Last Tsar by Edvard Radzinsky. The three parts of the book are entitled, "Leafing Through the Tsar's Diaries", "The Death of Nicholas and Alexandria and "The Secret of the Ipatiev Night" which tells about the cover-up of the murders. An interesting side light to this book is that it was through the influence of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, when she was an editor at Doubleday, that it was translated to and published in English. (Lots of pictures too.)

• AnneW
    edited August 2010
    Options

Great tip, Ruth!!! This book is going onto my list!

I picked up two of the three Steig Larsson books at Costco the other day. Going to get started on them when I finish THe Lacuna.

Anne

• NatureGrrl
    edited August 2010
    Options
    I just got "Burn," Nevada Barr, her very newest, from the library.  I'm psyched!!  I haven't loved every book of hers equally but I still look forward to what she's come up with next.  All other reading is put aside for the duration!
  • iodine
    edited August 2010
    Options

I am taking a break from Henry James after one story.  The small type and getting finished with the Huge Dickens (with small type) and all these insipid women---I need a good murder mystery. LOL

• sunny210
    sunny210 Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2010
    Options

What a great thread. I've just read the last few pages of the thread, so I hope I'm not repeating someone else's suggestion. I just finished INTO THE WOODS by Tana French and I loved it. It is a well- written, character driven mystery that I couldn't put down.

• jelson
    jelson Member Posts: 622
    edited August 2010
    Options

Layne157- Have you read any of Alan Bradley's Flavia de Luce books? They are set in early 1950's English countryside. Flavia is a precocious eleven year old who is fascinated by chemistry and has taken over her ldeceased uncle's chemistry lab to pursue her special area of interest, poison. She is tormented by her two older sisters, and takes her revenge on them through chemistry, and in the meantime helps solve the mystery of the dead body found in the kitchen cucumber patch in the first book and that of a dead puppeteer in the second. Bradley really brings Flavia and the rest of the characters to life. I look forward to the third in the series coming out this winter.

and KONAKAT:  ALAN BRADLEY is CANADIAN

the first book is Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie, the second is The Weed that Strings the Hangman's Bag

• AnneW
    edited August 2010
    Options

sunny, my sister loved the Tana French book. It's on my TBR (to be read) list!

I finally finished The Lacuna by Kingsolver. I'm lukewarm at best about it. Took me ages to read it, and I think I could have been reading other (better) things.

Now I'm trying The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo. Everyone (even my waiter at breakfast today!) says it's so hard to get going with, but well worth the effort. We'll see.

Anne

• ruthbru
    edited August 2010
    Options

I read the whole Dragon Tatoo series; pretty good, but I didn't love them; probably liked the first one the most, by the third I was skimming to get to the end.