Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Latissimus Dorsi Breast Reconstruction

Options

Comments

• scareds
    scareds Member Posts: 20
    Options

Annie,

Good suggestions, I'll try them. I am crossing my fingers that it will work for me....

thank you!!! 

• Shrek4
    Shrek4 Member Posts: 519
    Options

Annie... I wish. At 49 I could be her mother lol. But it's nice to be told you're pretty. Not sure if I am still that pretty with my bald head. My boyfriend says that I still am, but then, he loves me so much it might not count.

Linda, I have gummy bears. They feel very nice and soft and natural. But then I had skin-sparing bmx - and I know there's a layer of 4 to 7 mm of "underskin" so maybe that makes them feel more natural.

• Diane509
    Diane509 Member Posts: 42
    Options

2 days now, no narcotics ladies.... hip hip hooray.  

• Diane509
    Options

Sorry for the extra post ...need to add to my favorites, I think I am double posting

• Faythnme
    Faythnme Member Posts: 92
    Options

Hey Ladies -  I'm back.  I know it's been sometime since I've been on.  Going back to work and getting my expansions I'm just exhausted these days.  I go into today to expanded again and so far I am at 580cc and no pain meds.  There was 1 time during an expansion that the needle hit a nerve talk about about pain ouch!!! and this was the side I usually didn't feel anything. The PS took the needle out and let it calm down.  Then I laid down and we started again, no problems since.  I have 220 ccs to go and I should be done, probably by the end of July.

I've been kind of sleeping on my sides with the TE's in and it's not so bad, but if I wake up in the middle of the night I have to scoot my butt towards the pillows because of course the muscle isn't functioning as it should if it were in it's correct place.  It's getting better though.  My range of motion is pretty good.  I still don't lift much weight, the arms get tired real fast.

It is now 8 weeks since surgery and outside of being tired, the iron bra effect (tightness) and a broken pinky toe I'm doing pretty good.  Next adventure learn to Salsa - oh yeah!!  Love to dance I can't wait, it might help take some weight off as well.

I will probably sleep the whole weekend usually do after my expansions.  Boy the body sure is smart when it recognizes foreign objects in the body and trying to heal.

Well everyone have a fabulous 4th if I'm not back on before that. 

Cindy

• Diane509
    Options

OMG ..... what size where you before?  What size cup would  800 ccs  be?  Here I have 250 after 1st fill... started with 200 got 50 cc s yesterday, next fill in 3 weeks.  I am 7 1/2 weeks from my surgery.  I am really limited in raising my arms at the side, working on PT now 2x week but it's slow going.  I just got permission toi get back in the hot tub today after i take of the little bandaidds from the fill yesterday...I haven't gone back to work yet.  I am waiting until August 2 and then I will start part time for a while until I get used to that.    love the salsa dancing .... i used to do a little since I lived in mexico for 7 years but not technically correct.  Just before I got married May 1,  we took swing dancing lessons ....really fun.  we need to start that again as soon as I can raise my arms high enough to do a turn under! 

• Faythnme
    Options

Hi Diane -

Before the bilateral mx I was a 38DDD.  I'm 5ft not that much over weight but they run big in the family.  I decided I wanted to be a full D and that would be just fine with me.  I did not have the TE's filled with saline when the PS put them in, 3 weeks post surgery is when I started fills.  First one was 60cc, going forward it was 120cc in each, last week was only 60cc in each.  Not sure what today will be, we shall see.  I've got all weekend to sleep through it though. Smile I had a delayed reconstruction because of so many surgeries last year 7/21 when I had the MX.  So I think that might have been my advantage.  I also saw a PT for 3.5  months before the reconstruction and will be seeing her again in a couple of weeks.  Between the wait and the PT I think that is why things are going so well, not to mention a positive attitude.  I know it can be hard but it's worked for me so far.  I listen to my body and do as it says (most of the time Wink).  I am always stretching.  Every time I stand up from desk I stretch my arms to my back.  You know like put them out to  my side and push them back slowly for the stretch.  I also do a lot and I mean a lot of deep breathing.  I believe that opens up the chest and helps relax the muscle more.

Out of curiosity why are you waiting 3 weeks to fill?

• Annabella58
    Annabella58 Member Posts: 916
    Options

Wow, Linda, your eyebrows are great!!  Earleen is awesome!  I do like the "mystery woman" photo tho.

I'm sorry you still have that darn tightness....My PT said absolutely no lifting or pec work, so i don't and my arms look it, too.  BUT, it was only after I got away from it that I really made progress with the iron bra.  Everyone's body is different, so maybe your surgery is too.  If you don't mind it, that's the good part!

My hot flashes were only warmish...I'm sorry you got hit with that one also!  Summer does make them, worse, doesn't it....

I'd like to pardy hardy with you, sweet sistah.  I'm sort of cheap date tho, tend to fall asleep with a wine spritzer. 

love ya

annie

• Linda54
    Linda54 Member Posts: 509
    Options

Thanks Annie...I am loving my eyebrows.

I truly believe that food triggers hotflashes.  Like today, I have been so busy that I have only eaten yogurt and my bran buds and banana.  I really feel good today and a few very minor hot flashes.  But I cannot live on yogurt and bran buds...LOL....if I eat any candy or something salty...within minutes I am having a major flash....

I was getting use to the tightness, I guess, or maybe it was somewhat better.  I started back stretching this week and I have really tightened up.  Maybe it gets tighter before it loosens up....This morning I lifted less weight at the gym so we will see how that works out.  I think my arms are looking so much better and I do not want to lose the toneness that I have built up.  I will continue to lift.

Have a wonderful 4th holiday

• Annabella58
    Options

Bay, with that face, the hair doesn't matter...you are lovely.  The hair will grow back, sweetie.  In the meantime, believe your boyfriend.  And you do NOT look 49 either!

Linda, YES, it gets worse first!! That's where you need to keep it up.  Those muscles have decided to live in spasm, you have to train the little stinkers into giving it up.

I envy your arms tho.  I have big ol' bat flaps. I wonder if there is an arm toning ex. that doesn't involve the pecs....

love to all, happy 4th!!! Beautiful Bay, go look in the mirror, sweetie.  You could launch a thousand ships with that face.

xoxo

• Diane509
    Options

Hi Faythnnme... Cindy rigtht?

Not sure why 3 weeks but I think it's because of my range of motion is so bad.  I am going to physical therapy.  He says he can't fill all the way if I can't move my arm out and up.  He is mad at me for not being more mobile!  Says Im the siffest woman he ever met... or treated.. I guess that's what he meant 

• Annabella58
    Options

mmm, DAY not Bay....sorry.  I should have put the reading glasses on!! (54)

• Faythnme
    Options

Diane - seeing the PT will work wonders for you.  I can't wait to see mine again.  Everyday do a little bit of stretching even if it's just an inch.  It's not about how far you can go up or around right away its about giving your new situation time to acclamate.  Everytime you stand up from a sitting do some, when your standing at the kitchen sink do some.  Start low and go up from there. There was a time I could not lift my left arm past my shoulder and my right arm could not go behind my back,you know like placing the back of your palm on your back?  It hurt way to much as though I had a constant pinched nerve.  You'll get there!!!

Well I saw my PS today and I got 60cc today so now I am at 640cc.  She wants me to skip a week and the week after I will get 80ccs.  Then I think I'll skip another week and the week after that I'll get 80cc and I'll be done.  My muscles need to catch up with my skin with the stretching.  I had a skin sparing MX so it's going be a little bit of time.

Doing good though!  I take the day after my expansion off from work and pretty much rest and sleep.

Oh Diane, also do some deep breathing I swear that helps a lot too!

Cindy

• Diane509
    Options

Thanks Cindy... I know you're right.  I just hate taking baby steps... I am a LEAPER by nature!  I find the more I do the less I hurt, ie; keeping busy, mind occupied, etc.  I sat in the hot tub for the first time in 8 weeks this morning.  I was a wee bit disappointed.  I think I have my PS's voice ringing so hard in my head about how bad hot tubs are and how they carry so much bacteria... I didn't want to dip the girls in there, or my armpits... thinking of lymphadema... but I will keep doing it as the heat allows me to stretch ... 

Yea for you.  You are nearly done with the TE nightmare.  My PS said it would be 3 months from last fill to Exhange.  I will be trying to head back to work part time effective 8/2 but I won't be done with the tissue expansion so I will need to return to work or take a day off...ha...no sick leave yet.. I just ran out on my last paycheck... thank goodness for DH.

Have a great 4th !! 

• Faythnme
    Options

Diane - A couple of questions..

1. I asked my PS about putting a warm towel on my chest and she said no because you can not gauge the heat level.  I'm surprised you can go in a hot tub.  Sounds great though!  I do some stretches while I am in the shower too!

2. What is DH?  I have STD no it's not what  you think Undecided, it stands for Short Term Disability.  It has been a wonderful thing to have.

Anyone?  Diane says 3 months from last fill to exchange. 

Linda what was your time frame?

Annie?

Everyone?

I am hoping for 2 months (by October) but I'll do whatever the PS says.

Has anyone being using Bio Oil for the scars.  The PS told me last week I could start using it on my scars that it will help a lot.  I can't reach the back ones but in the front she says it will help.

Thanks!

• Linda54
    Options

Faythnme

I waited 4.5 months from my last fill to my exchange surgery.  I had a previous rad side, my PS wanted to give it plenty of time to stretch the skin.

I have used different things on my scars including BioOil.  I do not think anything is a miracle worker for the scars.  Time is what it takes and I also think massaging them helps if you have someone who will massage the ones on your back. 

Your doctor is right...no heat allowed on your boobs.  Someone used a heating pad on hers and she burned and was at risk of losing hers but they healed.

DH is for Dear Husband

• Diane509
    Options

I have read on the internet that extreme heat and cold can instigate lymphedema.. but my PS has not told me no heat ... he only forbid me from standing water, bath, pool, hot tub until minimum 6 weeks after surgery.  

Linda answered the dear husband (DH) question

I asked my doc about using creams or lotions.. he just said any moisturizer... today 1 day after the 1st fill of 50cc, my already dry skin split a layer... just the very surface... they are pretty itchy all the time i think because I am "afraid" of them and don't really wash them like I wash the rest of my body... they aren't properly exfoliating and they are stretching at the same time....

Does anyone notice a tingle when they lay in the sun?  Even if they are covered!! 

• Faythnme
    Options

Hi Diane -

I don't lay in the sun, we don't get along like that very well.  The heat exhausts me, hence that is why I live in Seattle with the liquid sunshine. Wink  After I get my fills both breasts itch on and off.  I usually apply the Bio Oil just before I go to bed.  It takes about a week for it to ease up.

I'm not quite sure what you mean by split a layer, do you mean your scar. I would think you would wash everything on your body. (I know that sounded stupid).  If I understand you correctly, I would just wash it gently.  Don't use drying soap such as Ivory, Dial, Irish Spring or Noxema.  Anything that has an -ol after indicates alcohol and as you know has a drying effect.  I use Dove, the new stuff with Nutrium Moisture.  I think it works really well.

Everyone - I've been reading a book titled "Living Well Beyond Breast Cancer".  It's been interesting reading and I believe to be helpful so far.  You could probably find some things that may answer many questions.

Everyone - Has anyone experienced a change in  their body order (armpits) since surgery?  I never had to wear deodorant and all of a sudden within an hour of a shower I feel like I have to put some on.  Any ideas anyone?

Thanks!!

Cindy

• lmcd46
    lmcd46 Member Posts: 2
    Options

I just had reconstruction on July 26h with the latissimus dorsi flap. The tissue expander was put in with 100cc. of saline. So I came out of surgery with the start of a breast.

I had four drains. Three were removed  on Aug. 5th and hopefully the last one will be removed tomorrow.

The flap looks really good but the radiated skin looks stressed so I'm worried about that. I asked the PS if it would be a problem but he said that they could do fat injections.

I had my doubts on the surgery while we were making the two hour drive to the hospital the morning of the surgery but am so happy that I made the decision to do it. Even at my age of 63.

• Linda54
    Options

Imcd46

Sorry you had to join us but this is a really great place for support and answers to your questions that your doctors don't normally give you.  We all have been there and done that.  There are lots of wonderful women on the boards.

I also have bi-lateral LD flap.  27 months post-op.  I had a prior radiated side (23 yrs) that the cancer came back and so the reason I had the LD.  My skin did wonderfully.  I got through all my surgeries without any porblems or infections.  Some women experience the "tight bra" syndrome with  recon surgery and I am one that does but with stretching I have begun to relieve the tightness. 

I know there are some creams you can use on radiated skin to help it stay healthy but I cannot recall.  Esteep on this site can help you with that.  I will send her a message to get you the info on what she used.

I pray that your skin does well.

• lmcd46
    lmcd46 Member Posts: 2
    Options

Linda 54,

Thank you so much for your help. I will find out tomorrow what the PS says about the radiated skin.

I would really appreciate the name of the cream.

• Linda54
    Options

Imcd46

I sent a message to Estepp.....maybe she will respond tonight.

In the mean time you can go to the topic "Radiation Therapy, before, during and after" and you will find posting there on what lotions to use.

• 2Xsenough
    2Xsenough Member Posts: 48
    Options

Hi everyone--I posted somewhere a while back that I wouldn't be around the boards much because we're moving. Well, ack, I should know better. A deal isn't done till the check is cashed, right. We're still messing around with this one, so I'm back.

Cindy----, if you are still reading, Yes, I did notice a strange body odor after recon. I changed deodorants and it seems under control now. Weird. No one else responded to your question so maybe it's limited to just lucky duck us, LOL.

Hello Imcd. You are not alone at age 63. I started my recon then too. I'm now 65 and all done, except for nipps, and I would do it again. I also had radiation fifteen years ago and my skin sailed through the stretching just fine. I used Palmers with vit E and really slathered it on. That is after good wound healing.

Hi Linda--Great new photo! 

Bye for now,

Bobbi 

• Linda54
    Options

Hello Bobbi

Thanks for the compliment....

Great to see you again.  I am sorry about the house deal...maybe it will still come through for you.

I used Palmers Cocoa butter lotion with VitaE on all my scars but when I ran out I did not buy more.  I started trying other things.

take care

• tamgam
    tamgam Member Posts: 83
    Options

Hi girls, I battered my PS about scar creams.  He is adamant that none of them are worth the money.  His humble opinion is that your skin will heal how it heals!  Not much help there.  I am only talking scars( especially from the drain sites!) I have no experience with rads.  But I absolutely hated my bubbly scars a few months ago and just tonight after my shower, I noticed that they are looking more faded and flatter!  I am amazed and very happy.  I have not used a thing on them as I really do think my PS is super knowledgeable and he would sell the cream in his office if he believed in any. Just my 2 cents.  Hugs to all!

• Linda54
    Options

Imcd46

Estepp told me to have you send her a PM (private message) about your radiated skin. To send a PM click on Member List which is at the top of this page on the right.  Then type in Estepp and when the info comes up click on her name and that will take you to her page.  On the right side of her page you will see "Send Member a Private Message"...just click on this and you can type your message.  If you have any problems doing this please let me know.

• scareds
    scareds Member Posts: 20
    Options

Linda54,

Although I am sure you mean well, I get so frustrasted everytime you tell people that you "breezed" through this surgery. That is not an accurate statement, and I think it is disingenuous for those who are trying to make up their mind between lat flaps and another type of reconstruction. Fact is, I have seen you on numerous boards looking for a solution to the "Iron Bra" feeling that you want so desperately to get rid of!   (The "Iron Bra" is NO minor problem--it is something you will have for life. Over 10% of all lat flap patients end up with it--according to my surgeon.) You should be up-front and tell other women about it if you want to really help them. Also, tell them about the depression that oftentimes accompanies the surgery.

There are A LOT of women who have problems with lat flaps out there, but there seems to be little tolerance for those people on the boards. In fact, the one time I posted about my pain from lat flaps, you suggested that I didn't have a good surgeon. (I happen to live in Boston and am under the care of a Harvard educated and trained breast surgeon and plastic surgeon.)

So, since you seem to be the "resident expert" on Lat Flaps on this board, please try to give the a more realistic picture of the good, the bad, and the ugly.  You may tell me not to "talk down" this surgery, but I would ask you to be honest. Stop painting a rosy picture, when indeed, you suffer from your own issues from this surgery.

I suspect that if the Lat Flap surgery were that great, one wouldn't still be on this forum looking to talk about it. 

• Diane509
    Options

Hi Ladies....  

I am really hoping that this discussion does not branch off into another "you may not want to read this".  

I appreciate EVERYONES posts and stories and opinions.  Personally as one who is midway through a bilateral lat flap I can appreciate that there are many variables among us.

1. Our general physical and mental health before surgery
    2. Our body types & breast size before surgery
    3. Our elasticity of our skin and muscles and predisposition for scarring
    4. Our ages
    5. Our surgeons technique
    6. Our post surgical physical therapy

There are probably more factors that make each of us different. Of course the problem is...when you get this diagnosis you are not given the luxury of time in order to do months of research to find the surgical dream team, second and third opinions, etc.   Most of us see local physicians and respect their opinions and launch into this lifelong journey under their recommendation.

In my case I had choices.  I had pre operative dx of DCIS on one side.  (although my BS thought she was going to find something invasive).  She recommended the mastectomy but gave me a choice on the other side which was negative for any disease from the mammograms and mri's.

She gave me the name of 3 PS in town but through a friend who went through a similar procedure I went with the PS of my choice who suggested the LD Flap due to my lack of enough belly fat for a tram.  He told me the tram is VERY popular among those women who have the body type.  What's not to like?  A tummy tuck and using your own tissue to make a new breast...no foreign implants.  I asked him about the SGAP and he told me, in his experience, he was not happy with the procedure or the outcome.  He specializes in microsurgery and he told me the blood vessels don't match up and that makes for a much higher failure rate AND he stated that any time you have to make additional incisions...ie tram or diep or sgap .. that adds to a risk of complications.  All this sounded like good advice to me...

For me the selling factor was that he had explained to me that he was not satisfied with the results of the standard of care "Lattissimus Dorsi Flap" procedure.  He stated that although women could often hide the back scar under a bra (what's that?) or bathing suit... he didn't like the end result.  So he offered me the LD Flap...without the skin flap.  He worked with my PS (which I was fortunate to have a team working together.) She spared the skin per my PS's instructions... he drew the lines on me before the surgery and she made the initial cuts per his outline.  She did her thing...removing all the breast tissue from both sides... nipples and areola too since it was DCIS... and she performed the SNB on the C side... not sure  2-3 nodes?...

My scar is horizontal... from the inside of the breast all the way across ending under my arm at the very end of the breast skin.  (the procedure to omit the back scars and be able to pull the lat muscle through makes that scar a little longer), but my back is untouched.  If you look really really carefully you can sort of detect where the lat muscle section has been moved away from it's original location.

Right now I am on week 12 since surgery.  I have had 2 fills and will have my last fill on Sept 2 (I  hope).  I have about 350cc in each now and I am already bigger than I was before the surgery.  I'm 50, 5'4" currently about 150 lbs (12 lbs heavier than presurgery... I have been eating lots of CAKE)

Has this procedure been painless.... hell no.  For 6 weeks I was strung out on pain killers which eventually stopped working.  I was constipated, had severe edema in my legs for a few weeks (until the last drain came out) I had 8 drains... which started coming out after 2 weeks but only 2 at a time so the last two came out after 5 1/2 weeks.  Those drain scars are darker than my breast scars.  they look like double vampire bites on my side.

Numbness?   Big time... My lat muscle is now under my arm in my side... when I exercise or on a hot day move a lot ... the muscle ... expands and contracts and the nerves were destroyed and or damaged in there.  Sometimes I feel more than other times and the numbness kind of moves but is primarily located in my side.  The first 5 weeks or  so I had EXCRUCIATING stinging pains in my armpits... if I tried to use my arms to prop myself up or anything.  That went away completely... just like many of you said it would.  

My "franken boobs" are healing great as far as skin goes.. I don't scar badly, however, my boobs are too far apart.  The TE's are hard and uncomfortable and I hate touching them.  I have been told to massage them and try and move them together to help close the gap.  The PS says he can fix it during the exchange surgery.  He wont do the exchange until at least 3 months past my final fill.  

I have had some depression... but I usually snap out of it.  I am one of the lucky ones in that I had no invasive cancer and no need for chemo or radiation.  I read your stories ladies with so much pride in how courageous you all are.  Nevertheless, you can find things to be depressed about.  I got married a week before my surgery.  I have yet to regain intimacy because I hate being touched and it hurts when I move..... I know that this is my life now, but I hope to regain more mobility, strength and sensation (not in the frankenboobs)

Anyway... I just want everyone to know... that we are all different.  I think anyone who reads these boards can figure that out for themselves.

Nobody is SELLING a procedure here.  We all come here for information (not medical) support and comradary ..........  

Best of luck to all.

Hugs, Diane 509 

• Diane509
    Options

Oh yea... IRON BRA ..... it has subsided some, but not much.  I don't expect it ever will.  IMHO

• 2Xsenough
    2Xsenough Member Posts: 48
    Options

Hi Diane--You and I are rarities. I don't think too many sisters have had the type of lat flap surgeries that don't impact the back skin. I chose it, like you, for ease of recovery. For me it was quite easy and. As for the intimacy issues. That's difficult, but now at 8 mo. post exchange I am regaining a lot of feeling. I have my husband run his fingers lightly around the area, starting in the back and working to the front to locate the areas that are regenerating. For us it is a means of foreplay that works. I kid him that he needs a roadmap to find those sensitive areas. Don't give up. Everything does improve.

Bobbi