Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

half dose of Femara

Options
13»

Comments

• Capri
    Capri Member Posts: 3
    edited January 2021
    Options

I just read a study by the national Institute of health done in 2010 that discussed how various lower doses and infrequent doses of letrozole are just as effective as the 2.5 daily that we are required to take by our oncologists. It even went so far as to say that 2.5 once a week had the same affect as 2.5 once a day. I just passed my six year mark of being on AIs, mostly Letrozole, and I am just getting tired of the side effects. I feel like it is affecting my entire body - like my entire body is just falling apart. I have all kinds of random issues with my body and I mean ... I don’t drink, I’m pretty much a vegetarian, I don’t eat ice cream, I just quit cheese, I don’t drink soda, I don’t eat fried foods, blah blah blah blah blah. There’s really no reason for me to feel like I’m falling apart when I’m only 58 years old; and this is adding to a little bit of depression. I’m tired of the hair loss, the random hot sweats, the inability to sleep, and all of the other extremely random things that are going on with my body that I don’t think would ordinarily be going on if I wasn’t jampacked full of letrozole. After reading the article, the study, that I just mentioned and realizing it was written in 2010, I have decided that’s justification enough for me to reduce my dose and that is what I fully intend to do. I’m not sure I will telI my oncologist, but I am making her test my estradiol levels every single time she orders blood work ... and I agree with the person above -actually with the two people above - first about the medical field over killing us with drugs, where more is always better; and second of all with the person who mentioned the fact that their oncologist never tests her estradiol levels, and I have to agree, mine doesn’t either - with hell is that about

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,996
    edited January 2021
    Options

Hi Capri, We welcome you warmly to the Breastcancer.org community, and are sorry you are having these side effects. You may find this podcast (or transcript of it) helpful in making your decision. (https://www.breastcancer.org/community/podcasts/5-...). We encourage you to talk with your doctor, or even get a second opinion, but naturally your decision is personal and yours. We wish you the best as you make this decision.

• annie60
    annie60 Member Posts: 295
    edited March 2021
    Options

Did you talk to your doctor about the reduced dose? I'm so depressed. I am taking Adivan to help me sleep and I think it has helped my mood some. I can't sleep, cry a lot and have lost interest in everything. I wonder if cutting the dose would help..

Annie

• lillyishere
    lillyishere Member Posts: 770
    edited March 2021
    Options

In website femara.com it says:

Your doctor may tell you to take FEMARA every other day if you have severe liver disease. Always take your medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2021
    Options

I also wonder about a half dose of letrozole. I'm taking one everyday for a year now. Also felt depressed but with all that is going on in the world I'm not sure if it's the drug or just life. I am on an antidepressant but have recently cut that dose in half. I have never had my estradiol level checked. Will ask onco in July. I'm also on Prolia which I'm not thrilled about.