Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• ajb_12345
    ajb_12345 Member Posts: 5
    edited July 2016

Update: I had left mastectomy on May 19th with tissue expander, 3 lymph nodes removed. Clean margins, nothing found in the lymph nodes, but a few single cells left in the mostly dead mass. The second best outcome possible, and I'm happy with that. I did have some crazy complications after the surgery. A couple of days after my drains were removed, I developed some bug bites along my bra line on the left side. Well, I thought they were bug bites, turns out it was shingles. Then the shingles created a secondary skin infection (cellulitis) in the reconstructed breast. That put me back in the hospital for a few days for IV antibiotics. I had a PICC line placed in my right arm and sent home to do IV antibiotic infusions myself. I was having increased problems with my right arm and a week later was sent back to the hospital for an ultrasound. There was a clot in the PICC line. PICC was removed and was put on oral antibiotics and Xarleto for the clot. Now everything is cleared up and radiation is about to start next week!

• Joy777
    Joy777 Member Posts: 12
    edited July 2016

Ajb, why are you taking afinitor if you are ER negative?

And why are you stage 2B if your tumor was 2 cm and no nodes involved

• meadow
    meadow Member Posts: 998
    edited July 2016

Oh my gosh, my dearest Cocker. I too have been off the boards for a few weeks, and although I want to respond to the newbies, and those in treatment, I cannot think of anything except you going down the stairs in that awful fall. I am so sorry. I am sure it will take weeks for you to heal. Please know my thoughts and prayers are for you.

• Cocker_Spaniel
    Cocker_Spaniel Member Posts: 1,188
    edited July 2016

Meadow my dear friend it really has been a trying time trying to work with a really sore leg. I had to have a week off because it wasn't healing and was told to put my leg up for the whole week. Only now does it look like it might be coming right but still a long way to go. When I do something, I do a doozy. On top of that we are moving house so its a little bit of a frenzy at the moment. It was too sore to sit at the computer so it must be coming right now, I hope. Thank you for your prayers and love as I send the same to you. ((((Hugs)))). Annie xx

• ALHusband
    ALHusband Member Posts: 342
    edited July 2016

Cocker you whipped the pants off of TNBC and now you're letting a set of steps conquer you? Enough of that nonsense! Get better fast and show those steps who's boss!

• Cocker_Spaniel
    Cocker_Spaniel Member Posts: 1,188
    edited July 2016

You are quite right Mike. No more feeling sorry for my poor leg from me. It's still not healed but heal it is going to. I told it today when it was dressed, quick stalling like Mike said and get me back to walking properly and not like a duck. No more nonsense from now on and the stairs can take a running jump. lol. Thanks for your pep talk Mike it really cheered me up. xx

• meadow
    edited July 2016

I just learned that my Oncologist was killed in a car wreck last night, he was the kindest man, so brilliant too. From day one he gave me hope, he told me he had patients with IBC, and they did well, and he expected me to do well too. That gave me a positive outlook from the beginning which I believed helped save my life. One lady I know whose mother died about 10 years ago, told me he would lay down on the bed to comfort her in her final stages. Such a wonderful man, such a great loss. Tears today.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited July 2016

Oh Meadow that is such horrible news. Tears with you. It's so hard to find a caring good Dr, who is honest but caring. My heart goes out to you

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited July 2016

((Meadow)).

• anothernycgirl
    anothernycgirl Member Posts: 821
    edited July 2016

Oh Meadow! Sad I am soooooo sorry! What a tragic loss to his family and all of his patients! Sad

Sending hugs

• meadow
    edited July 2016

thanks ladies. I am taking it hard, can only imagine how his family is handling the loss of such a kind man.

• allydp
    allydp Member Posts: 361
    edited July 2016

(((Cocker!!!))) I am so incredibly sorry to hear of your nasty fall! I sure do hope you heal quickly and Old Feller is taking good care of you! I'm glad to hear you've taken some time of work. Although it doesn't sound like you had a choice, I'm still glad you're at home resting. Take good care and keep checking in. xo

Simple - 3 years?! Amazing! I remember you being somewhat fresh out of treatment when I came to the boards. I'm so happy for you and your milestone is not only especially moving for me, but a real inspiration. xo

Meadow...I'm so so sorry!!! My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends, but I'm sure it's also quite a shock and devastating loss to you as well. We walk these journeys with our doctors and they become such pillars of hope and trust for us. My OBGYN who sent me for my initial mammo moved to Florida just after I finished tx. She called me once a month on her personal time to check in on me. When she told me she was moving, I cried like a baby right in front of her. I was so embarrassed. But it's hard not to form a bond with your doctor after going through something like this. Such a tragic loss for you, his practice and family. Sending you big hugs.

Shopgal - those scares are the worst! So glad it was fat necrosis and your BS was able to give you some extra reassurance.

JanetCO - welcome. So sorry you're joining us, but we're all here for you!

Sorry to anyone else I've missed. Sending you all love and hugs. xo

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    edited July 2016

cocker sending you more healing vibes.

And oh no meadow. That is heartbreaking. So sorry.

• Shopgal2
    Shopgal2 Member Posts: 594
    edited July 2016

heading to my mo tomorrow for my 6 month pfc checkup. Hoping he can help me feel more at ease about the results of my mamo last week. The 6 month waiting is nerve wracking. Also hope that he says the same as my bs said last week.

On the checkup front is there anything I should be inquiring about at 6 months?

• Cathytoo
    Cathytoo Member Posts: 394
    edited July 2016

Meadow...What devastating news and what a loss to all who knew him personally and professionally. It is rare to find such a caring doctor. My heart goes out to you and his family

• LifeAloft
    LifeAloft Member Posts: 69
    edited July 2016

Meadow...so sorry to hear

Cocker...hope you are feeling better!

I had my lumpectomy yesterday, I'm feeling good and got some great news. The lymph node that had 3cm of cancer in it when this all started was cancer free!!! Now just have to wait for the rest of the pathology.

• meadow
    edited July 2016

life aloft, so happy for your news!

Thank you all for your condolences, Ally, yes, did not realize how much of my survivorship is tied up in that relationship. To make grief worse for their family, he was traveling to plan the funeral of his 8 year old grandson who just died of leukemia. Today is the funeral for the child. Can you imagine their sorrow. He was so wonderful, I am not sure how I will transition to a new Doc. For those who have, it helps to know it can be done

• Angtee15
    Angtee15 Member Posts: 72
    edited July 2016

Meadow, what an horrific turn of events for your oncologist's family. Gosh life really can take a turn. Sorry for your loss.

• Cathytoo
    edited July 2016

Meadow...this story gets more and more horrific. I am so very sorry for everyone involved in this tragedy.

• ALHusband
    ALHusband Member Posts: 342
    edited July 2016

Terrible terrible story Meadow. My condolences. A good friend of ours was recently diagnosed with an extremely aggressive, terminal brain tumor. He's holding his own. But what makes the story worse is just two weeks ago, his son, who has Downs' Syndrome, was diagnosed with Leukemia. We often hear the old statement, "God doesn't give us more than we can handle" but stories like these can shake our belief in that. But what solidifies that belief for us once again is when we DO come out on the other side of these tunnels. Everyone in here has been in a dark tunnel at some point or they probably wouldn't be here. We ALL came out on the other side. Your doctor's family will. Our friend's family will. So it's true...we CAN handle it! Not always easy...but we CAN...and DO!

• Luvmydobies
    Luvmydobies Member Posts: 476
    edited July 2016

Meadow you're in my thoughts and prayers as well as your doctor's family. Same goes for you ALHusband. Prayers for the family of that man! You're right that God is not supposed to give us more than we can handle and I truly believe that. I saw something on the internet once that said sometimes he gives us these heavy issues to bring us back to Him. I'm not saying that's what I believe but it's just another perspective. I'm so sorry to hear of these incidents though. May God comfort these folks in a way only He knows how to do

• TulipsAndDaffodils
    TulipsAndDaffodils Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2016

Oh Meadow, that's so terrible. I am so sorry for his family, friends, other patients, and you. I would be devastated to lose my caring MO under such tragic circumstances (or any circumstances, actually). So, so sorry.

Cocker,you are always such a trooper. I'm sorry you have to go through this!

All the newbies, and everyone struggling, I'm send you best thoughts. Those doing well--hooray, and thanks for letting us know! It is so encouraging.

Tulips

Cocker, I'm also so sorry for what you are going through. You are clearly a trooper, and will heal, but I'm sorry you have to go through this.qq

• meadow
    edited July 2016

Thank you all for your support. Thank you Al, yes, I will come out on the other side. Thanks for the reminder and support

• Triplegirl
    Triplegirl Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2016

So sorry to hear Meadow.  What a tragedy. 

Just an update.  I had my double mastectomy on Monday.  I met with my surgeon today with the pathology reports and to check on my incision. I didn't get a complete PCR so she didn't want to go into my residual at all....ugh...this is what the pathology report said.  "Residual tumor size estimated at <2 cm composed of multiple 2-3 mm foci over the 2 cm region and approx. 10% tumor cellularity.  Ki-67 was 35%-High.

Does anyone know what that really means.  She wants me to wait and talk to the onocologist but I don't see her for 3 weeks.  Ugh...I just wanted to know if that was close to PCR and she wouldn't tell me....

Any info would help....

Thanks, Janice

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited July 2016

Triplegirl, this might help some. http://www.breastcancer.org/cms_files/47/Breastcan...

• Ki-67: Ki-67 is a protein in cells that increases as they prepare to divide into new cells. A staining process can measure the percentage of tumor cells that are positive for Ki-67. The more positive cells there are, the more quickly they are dividing and forming new cells. In breast cancer, a result of less than 10% is considered low, 10-20% borderline, and high if more than 20%.

Although the S-phase fraction and Ki-67 level may provide you and your doctor with useful information, experts don't yet agree on how to use the results when making treatment decisions. Therefore, not all doctors order these tests routinely, so they may not appear in your pathology report. The other results in your report will be much more important in making informed choices. (If you decide to have an Oncotype DX test to check the likelihood of cancer coming back and whether you could benefit from chemotherapy, Ki-67 will be included in that panel of testing.)

cellularity

[sel″u-lar´ĭ-te]

the state of a tissue or other mass as regards the number of its constituent cells.

10% sounds like a low number to me.

• meadow
    edited July 2016

Triplegirl, how are you feeling after your surgery? Do you have support at home during these first few days? Hoping you are resting well, and feeling better every day.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited July 2016

Triplegirl, how are you feeling? Your MO will explain more to you hopefully. It did shrink though correct? Are rads scheduled for you?

• Cathytoo
    edited July 2016

Did anyone here do CT instead of ACT?

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited July 2016

Meadow so sorry about your news.

Triple I don't know what it all means, and I am hoping that you are not going to worry too much until you see the oncology expert who will be able to answer all the questions. Waiting is so annoying, could you try to bring the appointment forward a bit? I hope the healing is going well, that you are getting plenty of rest and are not too uncomfortable. Sending lots of love to you. XX

• greenae
    greenae Member Posts: 246
    edited July 2016

Meadow, I am so sorry to hear about your Onc and his family. Ugh, so sad.

Triple, I hope you're recovering quicklyand uneventfully, and will soon have an explanation and plan. It sure sounds like it shrunk, and that's good news. And I am hoping for you to get more when you see your docs.

Cathytoo, I did TC last year, and just had a follow-up, and am feeling Good.

Cocker, oh no! I sure hope you are on the mend. I wish I could help speed your recovery. We Need You! You have been so helpful and strong for many of us... Feel better sooner!

I am not on here so much, but trying to catch up. I am sending good thoughts to all still in treatment and a shout out to all of my TN sisters, (and bros!).

It's super-hot here in NY, trying to stay cool, keep busy,and live in the moment. You all have been so helpful and supportive, thank you for always being here.

Hugs!

Arlene