Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited September 2018

congrats to all finishing treatment. Remember, chemo is cumulative, so it can take awhile to leave your system completely.

I'm just about 3 years from dx. There are so many days I no longer think of Cancer first. Though I have some serious lingering side effects, caused by treatment, overall I am able to live and move forward. Not at the pace before dx. I think that has been the most difficult. Knowing that I won't be as I was before. It's impossible, because this forced relationship to breast cancer, will never be severed.

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited September 2018

I am three chemos down, three to go. Feels good to cross the halfway mark. I am on Taxotere Carboplatin and coping decently with not too bad SEs. I am on day three now and starting to get sleepy.

I am doing very well so far. Diagnosed in July with a 3.8 cm tumor and a 3 cm lymph node-- both are gone, melted, according to my doctor's examination on Monday, before chemo 3. My tumor is/was easy to feel and there is only a tiny nugget left which he says is marker + scar tissue. Very good to hear. Of course I am still worried about my stray cells but it is nice to see the main cancer dying.

I am wondering about anything any of you guys did in terms of complimentary medicine, nutrition, or follow up care during or after treatment that you think might have helped you.

• cccmc2
    cccmc2 Member Posts: 102
    edited September 2018

I was also wondering about things we could do post chemo to stay active in thin fight. I’m honestly feeling a little lost since treatment ended. Didn’t qualify for scans so I’m constantly thinking what if...

• santabarbarian
    edited September 2018

You might want to ask about "liquid biopsy" if scan is not covered....?

• Flynn
    Flynn Member Posts: 208
    edited September 2018

I think everybody is left with physical and emotional scars from the whole process. Some really impact every day life more than others. It seems like after we go through all the treatment, there should be a bonus at the end- not more stress!

As to next steps, I have two thoughts. You can always look into clinical trials, if you feel so disposed. Depending on your final results, there is a lot of focus in preventing recurrence. Also there are programs like LiveStrong & After Breast Cancer (ABC) that are geared toward helping you get on track with a healthy lifestyle and often include support from other bc survivors. I’m doing ABC at the Y right now and we have workouts with specially trained staff, a nutrition class and a support group. I was a little iffy on the support part but I’m enjoying all aspects of the program.

However you proceed, I hope you find a path that works for you!

• santabarbarian
    edited September 2018

Those are good ideas, thank you.

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited September 2018

I saw mitymiffins post and thought I'd chime in with some positive vibes...

Like her, I haven't been on here in a while and don't recognize many of the new names. I was diagnosed in Feb 2014. At my 4 year visit last Feb 2018, I was switched to yearly visits instead of every 6 months because I had passed the dangerous first 4 years (for us 3xneg girls) without recurrence.

It is amazing how in 2014 everyone thought TNBC was a death sentence...but not anymore! Cancer outcomes change fast!

• vl22
    vl22 Member Posts: 471
    edited September 2018

Radical - so happy you are doing great!

Thanks for sharing!

• cccmc2
    edited September 2018

question: why is that some women get the 4 DD taxol treatments and others get the 12 taxol treatments? Just curious.

• urdrago71
    urdrago71 Member Posts: 500
    edited September 2018

Yesh they can take max. Dosage and divide by three so u end up get taxol 12 weeks instead of 4 dose. My doctor said it's easier for my body.

• Vslush
    Vslush Member Posts: 117
    edited September 2018

Happy you are doing so well, Radical! Thanks for sharing ...these affirmations are very encouraging!

Vickki

• Jennifer522
    Jennifer522 Member Posts: 194
    edited September 2018

cccmc2, it seems like more and more the 12 weekly taxols are being used. My understanding its how MD Anderson does it.

I didn't. When I questioned my MO, he didn't think the science proved its better yet. I got taxol every 3 weeks for 6 times. From my chemo nurses some got it 4 times every 3 weeks, some 6 times every three weeks. Another MO gave it every 2 weeks. I did get a whopper of a dose.

• sam0623
    sam0623 Member Posts: 67
    edited September 2018

I asked my doctor about 4 DD Taxol versus 12 weekly Taxol. I think it is Dr preference, because I had 1 doctor recommend DD, and the other 12 weekly. The doctor that recommended the 12 weekly said it reduces the side effects, and studies show it is just as effective as DD. Also, for those of us that got Carboplatin at the same time- they either give this weekly or every three weeks with Taxol- if you get the DD they do not mix it with anything else.

• cccmc2
    edited September 2018

thanks for the responses

• smansmom
    smansmom Member Posts: 27
    edited September 2018

I hate That there’s no scans after treatment it definitely scares me. My oncologist said that the 12 tax is weekly is easier on the body and just the same as the DD. Today was supposed to be my first tax or treatment and they canceled it because I have a bad sinus infection so I was nervous about skipping the week and they told me it’s nothing to worry about.

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited September 2018

One last response (maybe) to the dd versus longer on taxol. In my case with both TN and IBC, they felt the more chemo in a shorter time gave me a better chance at putting it in remission. In my case it worked along with other factors. That was the reason given to me by my MO team and by MD Anderson when I went for a second opionion.

• santabarbarian
    edited September 2018

I'm on a different regimen, Taxotere and Carboplatin x 6, every 21 days. I am so happy to hear from you ladies 3, 4, and 5 years out. Very encouraging.

• smansmom
    edited September 2018

my friends mother is 7 years out from TN and she did dose dense only 8 treatments, my other friends friend is also 7 years out and she did 16 treatments, I honestly think they all add up to be the same and just depends on the doctor. They are both in remission and never had a recurrence. My oncologist gave me the option for 8 or 16 I chose the 16 bc I heard your body handles it better. I’m 28 with a newborn I didn’t wanna add More life long issues to my list. Hopefully I made the right de

• urdrago71
    edited September 2018

Teka, that's super news!! Nerdy

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited October 2018

Yay, Teka!

Lyn

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited October 2018

This week marks 3 years since my official diagnosis! We are picking up friends at the airport this weekend and then heading to the Oregon Coast to have some fun.

• santabarbarian
    edited October 2018

Way to go Teka and Visla!

• urdrago71
    edited October 2018

Congrats Visla, may u have a great vacation.

• smansmom
    edited October 2018

Congratulations you two

• alabamaaustria
    alabamaaustria Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2018

I am also 'celebrating'. It is two years since my diagnosis. Yesterday I had an mammogram and breast MRI and I am so happy that they found absolutely no sign of cancer. Today I am so grateful that I am here.

• urdrago71
    edited October 2018

AlabamaAustria, Congrats ..

I cannot wait to be done with all of these appt 's..

• Flynn
    Flynn Member Posts: 208
    edited October 2018

Cheers to those of you with good news!!

• Ksh0227
    Ksh0227 Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2018

another progression after 3. 

That is when I decided to really study her disease more seriously amd find out she may respond to Everolimus given her AKT2 amplification. Thus after discussion with our oncologist (here in Korea), we did 2 cycles of Eribulin and Everolimus, but again her cancer grew bigger......

Now we are on Cabozantinib and Nivolumab and hoping that these combo will do the job. She has AXL amplification, providing rationale for using cabozantinib since September.

Thank you! 

• cccmc2
    edited October 2018

so I finished treatment about a month ago. I guess I thought I would feel happier or more relieved than I do. Not sure what’s going on.... is this nirmal

• santabarbarian
    edited October 2018

I am sure it is. I am behind you (in mid treatment) but I will have some degree of worry until 5 years passes. BUT I also know it is healthy to set aside worry and focus on joy as much as you can. Worry will not protect you. Healthy living & enjoying your family and friends will protect you much more!! Maybe some meditation or visualization can help restore the feeling of "normal and well"? Maybe a support group of people in the same situation?