Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited April 2019

I had Taxotere/Carboplatin...x 6... and based on my chemo group, I'd say I had far fewer SEs than many women on AC/T do. I do not know if that was luck, fasting, other complimentary practices I did, or the chemo simply being mellower?

My MO had concerns about AC's slightly higher incidence of long term side effects.

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    edited April 2019

As LoveMyVizsla noted, the article seems to say that some people might be able to avoid the AC combo if it's shown that those drugs don't work on their cancer. But that leaves the taxanes, which most of us get anyway, even those not getting the AC for other reasons. So apparently they can't test (yet) for the taxanes' effectiveness? I had chemo after my tumor was removed, but only taxotere and cytoxan, so I guess there's no way to tell how effective the chemo was? Except if I have a recurrence, it didn't work, and if I don't, it did??? Maybe they could test the biopsied tissue? They didn't do that in the study reported in the article...

• santabarbarian
    edited April 2019

Flynn, kber; agree... I think it's important to know who is/ is not likely to respond to a given chemo, since there's no time to waste on a bad one... and yes, monitoring a shrinking tumor is very empowering.

The one time I really sobbed during the whole cancer episode was the night I felt it had actually shrunk. I sat there, feeling so relieved and grateful, and hopeful... like OMG I might survive this!! You can deal w any baldness, anemia and pukiness when you know it's working.

• FrackingHateCancerMPBC
    FrackingHateCancerMPBC Member Posts: 33
    edited April 2019

Well, I'm a one dose wonder with CHEMO. AC, so I did get to dance with the red devil but just once...Devil

My tumor type is basically proven CHEMO -resistant. Because it's meta -Plastic. Docs still want me to do it, because it's all they have, and it just MIGHT help they can't PROVE it doesn't they say. Also it is the standard of care. We treat MPNC TNBC just like TNBC, until you have a MET and then we don't.

I'll never get CHEMO for a MET because I don't plan to get one of course, but if I do they'll just radiate it.

So I collected the studies and was like, ok sure, my tumor's out so we CAN'T PROVE this AC is ineffective, but here are the first 15 studies of probably 100 that draw the conclusion that NO chemo works on my tumor type, not AC not T not FEC or whatever they're using in Europe. I mean we have scientists for a reason. It's so they can collect and analyze data form hypotheses, run experiments where needed and show doctors where to go next with treatment when they may not know.

Also you know I'm technically cancer free at the moment, so I feel I'm it METS management. Prophylactic METS management so I never get a MET but still. If I get one they won't bother with CHEMO. Because they know how ineffective it is on my tumor. So why on god's green earth am I putting myself through it now? I read one study it's for the new IMMUNOTHERAPY for mPBC TNCB ( meta-Plastic) where the CHEMO actually just pissed the local chest wall post MBX plastic METS tumor off. Then 2nd dose is immuno-chemo mix, tumor shrinks and leaves. So that was just approved for STAGE Four MPBC (Meta plastic only I think - it takes advantage of the metaplastics high death or kill something something that overexpresses in mPBC and makes it so virulent). So in 5 years that will be standard first line treatment most likely for my TUMOR but not today.

Think they can eventually for newly future diagnosed people make mPlastic TNBC CHRONIC, which I guess means it won't kill you any more if you're careful. But as my DOC likes to say, you'll still be eligible for all the other cancers!

Thing is 5 years is too long. In five years my TNBC mPLASTIC story has played itself out. Half of my tumor type will be dead in 5. or maybe it's 65% . Some numbers go as low as 40%. But that's because when it comes back distally we generally die in 8 months. BUT that said, half the time it's never seen from again!

Like the rare Chernobyl Minnow, now extinct. It crawled out of a swap, into a woman's breast one day to hide. They attacked it with needles, they attacked it with tears, they came at it with ill will and admonitions, , then they danced, cried again to shrink it, attacked it with knives, and finally it was gone.

Then they toxified the place it had been and radiated it. Hoping to kill any small seeds it had laid before it left. They imagined dragons to surveill and keep it away. And giant Squid patrolled the swap now..... And it was never heard from again....

Fracking out, off to DERMO to solve a CHEMO rash before reconstruct and RADS. I will be MARATHONING game of thrones too! MNCTeach and FLYNN. We should do a GOT marathon book club sort of thing. Is it your first time through GOT or are you rewatching/ catching up for premiere? I'll be rewatching for premiere!!!

• piperkay
    edited April 2019

Yay, Game of Thrones!!

• santabarbarian
    edited April 2019

Fracking, do complimentary practices or metabolic therapies help w metaplastic? High dose C, hyperbaric Oxygen, metfomin, melatonin, hyperthermia, keto, supplements, vigorous exercise, etc? These are some proactive things you might check into.

• mike3121
    mike3121 Member Posts: 280
    edited April 2019

Right to Try laws.

• FrackingHateCancerMPBC
    edited April 2019

Hi guys,

What's a Right to Try Law? Is it some law allowing people to get access to new treatments? Is it Local? State? Federal? Forum related?

I'm guessing all that stuff mention by Santa Barbarian work and I may be able to figure out modifications that will work for myself. so I'm going item by item and googling them.

1. Yes to vigorous exercise. Any indication how vigorous? And I hear weightlifting someone has been telling me to avoid bone cancer mets? So, Yes exercise √ check. Vigorous. What qualifies as vigorous? √
    2. What's with the vitamin C? Just take more of it is that it? Is this a Linus Pauling thing? I could just take more and I will. The thing with actual effectiveness on that I don't care if it works or not, I like vitamin C, and it's true I haven't had enough of it lately. . I'll get a big thing of chewables. It certainly could not hurt, who doesn't love vitamin C. YES I will increase my vitamin C intake so modified. Vitamin C check √
    3. I don't own a hyperbaric oxygen chamber and I'm not going to buy one so that's probably out. I'm also very claustrophobic, so I think the anxiety there would outweigh the benefit. NO, lack of chamber. But, I will take ten deep breaths 3 times a day. or as often as I think of it. deep Breathing check to improve oxygen levels and lung function
    4. Keto diet, let's see, ok I googled it. No I'm not doing anything involving heavy cream and mayonnaise, but that said, I'm a pesco - vegetarian and I will cut all sugar and most carbs out of my diet and eat more fatty fish and fish roe. And cottage cheese and herbs etc. Garlic... so I will make diet modifications for sure. What cancer wouldn't respond to that right? Yes modified I'll do low carb and try to increase fat sources like fatty fish. diet check √.
    5. I do like melatonin in general, trader joes has the supplements that are chewable. I'm afraid to mess with my sleep cycles so I will take it as a supplement in the am and forget it has any effect on sleep. Yes modified, I will take a melatonin every day. Melatonin check√
    6. Metformin: OK this is a drug. I am notoriously bad with drugs. This one's for insulin and weight loss. How about I just lose weight instead? I'm reading studies. Looks complicated. I don't fully understand the mPlastic cell type yet. I'm mid semester with classes offering me a break MAYBE at the end of June. I will understand mPlastic soon and someday. So this one's a IDK and we'll see. How about I just lose weight? That I will do. Weight loss check √.
    7. Hyperthermia: Ok upon reading this, this suggests that carrying a cell phone in one's bra might prevent breast cancer which I was thinking might be true as I always carried mine on the non tumor breast. OK so I'll keep carrying my cell phone in my bra. And then spend time in Saunas? I'll have to look into that. And maybe I get a gym with a sauna? I will check doctor on this one first. I mean heat usually increases metabolic processes, but I guess if cancer likes it cold then cancer likes it cold. But I'm open to it. I love saunas. And I'd love a reason to need it. It's good at least to know that heat or hot weather isn't BAD for cancer. Heat it up √ Saunas and Spas √
    8. Supplements: The doctor has been trying to get me to take a b -supplement. So if I take a B vitamin and melatonin and Vitamin C I should be covered right? And I'll do the colorful plate thing too. YES modified vitamins and supplement C & B and melatonin check
    9. Meditation: love meditation. I'm a background meditator so I meditate my way through transitions all day and commutes etc. Meditation and mindfulness & Slowing down to the present moment. big check √√√
    10. Also, imagery. I'm going to do it! I will imagine the dragons, and the squid in my blood and my organs,working hard and fighting cancer for me. I'll imagine the destruction of any remnant's of my disease. I'll set aside meditation time and do it then. And I'll do it when I'm in the radiation chamber. Maybe I'll join a Tai Chi group and do it then as well. I know my community has an informal group that meets at the tennis courts every am. They have a leader but no formal organization or payment for example. It's drop in. I'm going to add Imagery, Cancer eradication Imagery check √
    11. Positive thinking. Eradicating negativity. Standing up for what counts. Making meaningful courageous gestures that say I am alive, I make a difference, I am a worthy active participant of this thing called life. I try my best to do the right thing and then I do the right thing. I admit and correct my mistakes as best I can. I take a daily inventory of my actions and what I did well, and what may be improved upon for tomorrow. I reward myself. I am not a martyr, no stake burning for me, look elsewhere for your martyrs. I am a cancer hero. I live. I laugh all the time when and if I can. I talk about what bothers me until it no longer bothers me. No stuffing or stewing anything when you have cancer, am I right? I accept that life has changed for me but I'm still me and I still want to live this new challenging life. And I'm so grateful for the opportunity. And Wi-fi. Super grateful for wI-fi. Positive thinking and wellness and √ check.
    12. I'm also handing this battle over to my higher power (who generally hands it right back to me) and so taking suggestions. Expressing gratitude first this every morning to actively increase connection with the planet. Staying on the positive side of life and feeling grateful that I get to do so. Humility, gratitude, staying open and connected and thankful for this opportunity to learn so much more about myself and others and life in general. I'm humble and grateful. Faith in something is powerful. Keep my head to the sky. √ check.
    13. Drink lots of water.
    14. Don't eat too late at night.
    15. Get lots of sleep.
    16. Stay away from all recreational drugs, alcohol, tobacco, and other carcinogens. and I do that. 100% now.
    17. Have fun. Do something just for fun for you everyday FUN every day. check √

OK this was awesome thank you so much Santa Barbarina. (My niece just got into UCSB as a high school senior and she is actually down there now). See how I changed your name? Santa Barbarina. It's mysterious and has an allure. But I like Santa Barbarian too of course. My young 27 year old cousin also just graduated from UCSB 5 years ago and still lives down there. That said I've never really spent any time there, but I will be with my niece down there now we'll be down there all the time I'm guessing.

So this was a great reminder of these things that must obviously have an effect on one's overall health and also may affect cancer health/ prevent mets. etc. yay!

I'm so tired. Game of Thrones has like ZERO positive thinking. But I'm gonna watch it anyway And eat doritos. OK no doritos but I'm gonna eat some pico de gallo salsa and cottage cheese. So just like doritos. The things I do for cancer....

• Flynn
    Flynn Member Posts: 208
    edited April 2019

Fracking, I’ve been catching up on GOT. We watched one show a night thru most of chemo. Kept us busy. We’re looking forward to tonight’s premiere. Good luck with rads- glad you didn’t do allthe AC for no expected benefit.

• Traveler918
    Traveler918 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2019

It has been so helpful to peruse the forums I just wish I had gotten here sooner.

Smile

I am wondering if anyone has experience or advice for deciding for or against rads. I was diagnosed at 43 following a routine mammogram in the fall--IDC, Stage IIIC, TN grade 3, Ki67 95%. The tumor was 1.4cm and near the chest wall but had spread to axillary nodes as well as 1 supraclavicular node.

I completed chemo in January, dose dense AC+T. My axillary nodes began to soften after the first treatment and no longer felt enlarged after the third. I had a double mastectomy 3 weeks after finishing chemo. I was fortunate to have a pCR, with no evidence of the primary tumor. I had ALND with 21 nodes removed and no cancer present but with scarring evident in 6 nodes suggesting treatment effect.

I am considering opting out of radiation and looking for input. I learned I have a BRCA mutation which made my surgical decision easier. I also found out I have a heterozygous ATM mutation which may place me at an increased risk of radiation sensitivity. This coupled with my concerns about damage to my heart and increased risk of lymphedema make the radiation decision much more difficult.

Am I being irrational to consider omitting radiation?

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 8,560
    edited April 2019

Traveler, sorry you have to be here, but welcome! We're glad you've found us and decided to post. We've seen this other thread under the Radiotherapy forum that you may want to visit: I want to refuse radiation after bilateral mastectomy.

If you need some further help navigating the main site or the discussion boards, just let us know, we're here for you!
    Looking forward to hearing more from you soon!

The Mods

• santabarbarian
    edited April 2019

Traveler,

I was in your shoes pretty closely. I also had a pCR. That is just WONDERFUL!!

I did the rads because statistically the long term disease-free survival rate goes up about 10% with rads for those w pCR.

I was also really worried about long term damage, so I elected to get Proton Radiation. You might want to see if you can get that in your area. You will still have SEs, but the radiation can be more precisely targeted and it does not pass through the heart or lungs.

The risk of trouble with your specific genetic mutation must be calculated, and weighed against survival advantage... can you get the % of problems from your RO or MO?

I would approach it that way, and see what the numbers tell me. Good Luck!

• Flynn
    edited April 2019

Traveler, in addition to quoting me the likely benefit of rads, my RO also quoted me the odds of experiencing some of the more serious side effects. I went forward. If you are unsure, i’d get a couple opinions. We’ve actually pursued second opinions on every aspect of treatment b/c we wanted to hear all the pro’s & con’s. Our insurance has paid for the consults. GL!

• trishyla
    trishyla Member Posts: 698
    edited April 2019

I chose not to do radiation after my BMX. My circumstances are a little different than yours.

I was 58, an ex-smoker, did not get a PCR, but I only had a single micromet in one node. I figured I've already done enough damage to my lungs. Not sure they could have handled more from the radiation. I also did 7 rounds of Xeloda afterwards to mop up any stray cells.

I like santabarbarian's suggestion to look into proton radiation. If I had known about it at the time, I would have at least explored that option.

Only you can decide what is the best choice for you. Best wishes for continued healing.

Trish

• FrackingHateCancerMPBC
    edited April 2019

Hey guys,

Ibuprofen question:

I am post-fat graft! Surgery yesterday. Went well. He'll do one more after radiation takes its pound of whatever radiation takes. Fat?

I have a question. First Breast Surgeon had me on Tylenol alternating with Ibuprofen. So 3 hours tylenol, then 3 hours Ibuprofen, then three hours tylenol and so on for the first 5 or 10 days and then as needed after LUMP.

So now the reconstruct guy is like, no ibuprofen for 10 days and I had to negotiate that down from 2 weeks or a month. I did some googling and it seems to be mixed opinions with the American Plastic Surgeons Society or whatever is ok with ibuprofen (as was my regular breast surgeon.)

Here's the article it's a super quick read.

American Society of Plastic Surgeons. (2016, March 29). Ibuprofen Doesn't Increase Bleeding Risk after Plastic Surgery. Retrieved from https://www.plasticsurgery.org/news/press-releases...

I won't take Narcotics at all. (Outside of anesthesia of course) Absolutely hate them always have and I need to keep my head clear for Math and my body and soul clear of that nonsense whenever possible. I also just don't want at all to take things I haven't taken before so Gabapentin etc is out too. I want to take Ibuprofen so I have something to alternate with tylenol which is nowhere near as effective for me I don't think.

What do you guys think about going against Kaiser Plastic Surgeons recovery orders and adopting the Kaiser Breast Surgeons recovery orders which was just on March 1st of this year. And it went well I think. I have asked him multiple times the PS and he keeps saying no or lowering the time period for Ibuprofen blackout.

I originally had a flap planned so a cutting surgery and that's where the ibuprofen rules went into place. Then I ended up doing did the Fat Graft so a needle surgery. Much less invasive. So this is not Fat Graft specific as far as I can tell and Fat Graft is specifically mentioned in the article, I pasted the article link (not at all a list of scientific studies but references some for sure)

I'm trying to stay in school this semester (Math & Physics) and the semester's almost over. It's little things like this that can make the difference. Like for example I did not sleep last night until I broke down and took some ibuprofen at 4 am. I need to sleep eventually here.

Any experience, thoughts?

I'd like to add that my platelet count is 510 so way high (<400 is normal) post CHEMO reactively, and so not at risk of low platelets, and could probably benefit from Ibuprofen right now.

Oh I was going to say, Crazy Rich Asians is also streaming on HBO as well as VEEP and GOT. For those recovering from surgeries or Chemo or whatever or just watching TV you know as people have been know to do.

The GOT dragons were pretty cool to see again! Must be cold for them up at Winterfell. We have got to be losing some main characters to the blue guys right - the White Walkers? Who will it be? in good GOT early season traditions. Maybe Sansa or Bran.

Fracking out.

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited April 2019

That’s a tough one. I agree that Tylenol is virtually worthless. I would take as little ibuprofen as you can and still tolerate the pain level. As an aside, I took gabapentin for hot flashes (thank you chemo), and it was Great for sleeping at night, but I was a little fuzzy during the day.

• Dee1987
    Dee1987 Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2019

hi there I was diagnosed last year with a 1.5cm trip neg carcinoma and I was set out to do dose dense ACT. I cope well first 2 doses of ac then my dose was lowered as my wbc dropped to 0.7. A few weeks ago I started dual taxol and carboplatin(I found it I was brca positve) and the same thing happened again my blood counts were all over the place so they've changed my taxol to weekly infusions and lowering my carboplatin. Has this happened to anyone else?

• Flynn
    edited April 2019

Fracking- I don’t have experience with your particular situation. Have you shown your surgeon that link and asked his or her opinion? The only slightly relevant idea that I’ve heard is a person that I know who took antihistamines instead of gabapentin. They had some sort of calming effect after reconstruction. I haven’t looked into that at all- it’s purely anecdotal.

Dee- I had a couple dose reductions thru out treatment. I offered to space treatments out to give myself more recovery time but my MO felt the reductions were ok and wanted me to get to surgery in a reasonable time frame. I did give myself neupogen injections to support my WBC. Good luck!

• FrackingHateCancerMPBC
    edited April 2019

HI Dee,

You are so young! 32 years old, I am surprised they didn't run the BRCA test sooner as in right away, especially with a strong family history. Well water under the bridge. It's a good thing they got it out and your MX pre Chemo seems prudent now with your resultant BRCA results. Well, with the removal of the ovaries and the other breast coming up it's great to hear you are tolerating the CHEMO well enough! Almost done then it sounds like right? With the CHEMO?

A dose reduction does not make you a failure of any sort or kind. You are doing as much CHEMO as your body can support but no more. That's what they want. To toxify you ALMOST to death but not quite. I've heard some people call it dangling you over the edge but not dropping you. You are doing exactly everything you can and now you are advocating and asking questions too! That always has great benefits in any illness across the board in all studies.

Have you seen the Breast Predict NHS tool? My MO showed me.

https://breast.predict.nhs.uk/tool

Helps give me some sense of control.Your numbers are actually really good! I guess it's all relative but I find it very informative if you haven't seen it yet. The neg nodes are amazing good news and caught early so small tumor great!. That helps dramatically.The tool for you gave pretty low difference in CHEMO, like 3%. There's a place for 2nd gen versus 3rd Gen. You are doing 3rd Gen still I believe. You may be doing 2nd GEN. For me it was a full 9% difference (of course no place to enter CHEMO resistant MpBC tumor - that's me not you).

Anyway the efficacy difference from 3rd to 2nd GEN is listed as 1% in your case. For comparison - In my case it was 5%.

Of course there's no place for the BRCA+ or - in this tool. Maybe they'll add it later. There's no place for my thing the MpBC either so cell type. It's nodes and receptors and age and tumor size and a few other things. But: maybe you can discuss it with your doctor. I'm sure she/he uses it to some extent. There's also no place and according to all the ONCO's I asked no real studies on DOSE reduction as far as numbers go. It's kind of like well if your bodies not tolerating it then it's too much. End of discussion. They give you less. It's still CHEMO.

I also did not have a KI-67 status to enter into the tool, as it wasn't tested, but I guess you may? I do not know. When you don't know you put unknown in that box.

This tool DOES NOT assess for radiation at all. It's not included in the numbers. For that info you'll have to search radiology Oncology studies.

You are doing great! Sorry I don't have more info. That tool is great though. My MO opened it up in the office when we were discussing Chemo Dose reduction. So I thought of you.

Fracking out, happy Friday and a GOOD one I guess too to all!

I want to make an Easter joke, let's see...as long as my Cancer doesn't rise from the dead, we're good!

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited April 2019

Dee, I have chronic low white counts due to a pre-existing auto immune disorder. Knowing this, my MO gave me an extra week between AC treatments. Even so, she had to make a dose reduction and I had to give myself neulasta injections. Once on Taxol(no carbo), I had to switch to neupogen injections due to the timing. Normally my MO wouldn’t treat somebody if their neutrophils were under 1000, but that’s where mine are normally. So for me, she had to drop it down to 750. It took me 7 months, but I made it through.

• Dee1987
    Dee1987 Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2019

Thank you so much for your responses guys I only just noticed as I received no email to say you had replied. I’m feeling slightly less of a failure x

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited April 2019

Fracking, thanks for the link to the prediction tool. Sobering for us, isn't it? I'm still waiting pathology report from my surgery last week. I don't know how many nodes were involved if at all. Appt with MO next week. We'll see. Thanks again.

• FrackingHateCancerMPBC
    edited April 2019

Good morning all,

I am off to meet the RO. Radiation Oncologist. Any tips other than stop typing and get out the door so you are not late?

I guess lowering my expectations might be in order. Don't expect a high end tanning salon, right?OK I'm off!

Kaiser has farmed this out to another provider, and I don't think that provider is a tanning salon, but ya never know, so here I go!!

Fracking out! Last stage of this planned treatment other than another post RADS reconstruct. Yay!

• mountainmia
    edited April 2019

Good luck at the RO, Fracking.

QUESTION FOR ALL TNs: chemo or not? Regardless of tumor size, lymph involvement, etc, did your MO recommend/insist on chemo regardless?

I meet with my MO next week. I don't have the pathology report yet but the nurse did call yesterday to tell me NO lymph involvement. That much is a relief but I don't think it's determinate in itself. Nurse said MO may order another test prior to recommending, which I assume would be MammaPrint.

• farfalla6
    farfalla6 Member Posts: 92
    edited April 2019

I had no nodes, 1.4 cm tumor and I was told definitely chemo and am doing it. They said with TN I would have avoided chemo only if tumor had been less than 5 mm.

So I expected going into my lumpectomy that I would need chemo.

I think they done use mammoprint for hormone negative tumors.

• mountainmia
    edited April 2019

Thanks, Farfalla. I did check into MammaPrint and they do use it for ER- tumors. Oncotype isn't good for ER-, though.

Anyway, no good way to guess what MO will tell me, even if I want to. Thanks.

• piperkay
    edited April 2019

The information on this website says that MammaPrint can be done on hormone receptor negative tumors, but I didn't have that test. Didn't know about it until later, although apparently the test can be done on tissue preserved from surgery if that's still available. The OncoType test, though, is only done on hormone receptor positive breast cancer, also according to this webiste, see below.

When I was first diagnosed, my surgeon basically told me that chemo was necessary given the TN status, but that radiation might not be necessary even with lumpectomy depending on the size of the tumor which prior to surgery looked right on the line between radiation recommended and radiation not recommended. As it turned out, the actual size put me over the edge into radiation recommended territory. But there are a lot of factors to consider in making these decisions, and everyone has a different combination of circumstances.

Who's eligible for the MammaPrint test?

MammaPrint can only be used to analyze early-stage breast cancers. MammaPrint can be used on cancers that are:

• stage I or stage II
    • invasive
    • smaller than 5 centimeters
    • in three or fewer lymph nodes
    • hormone-receptor-positive and hormone-receptor-negative

The MammaPrint test can be performed on a sample of preserved tissue that was removed during the original biopsy or surgery.

Other genomic tests

There are other genomics tests used to analyze breast cancer tumors. To learn more, click on the links below.

• The Breast Cancer Index test is used to predict the risk of node-negative, hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer coming back 5 to 10 years after diagnosis.
    • The EndoPredict test is used to predict the risk of distant recurrence of early-stage, hormone-receptor-positive, HER2-negative breast cancer that is either node-negative or has up to three positive lymph nodes.
    • The Oncotype DX test is used to predict the risk of recurrence of early-stage, hormone-receptor-positive breast cancer, as well as how likely it is that a woman diagnosed with this type of cancer will benefit from chemotherapy after surgery. The Oncotype DX DCIS test is used to predict the risk of recurrence of DCIS and/or the risk of a new invasive cancer developing in the same breast, as well as how likely it is that a woman diagnosed with DCIS will benefit from radiation after surgery.
    • The Prosigna Breast Cancer Prognostic Gene Signature Assay (formerly called the PAM50 test) is used to predict the risk of distant recurrence for postmenopausal women within 10 years of diagnosis of early-stage, hormone-receptor-positive disease with up to three positive lymph nodes after 5 years of hormonal therapy.
  • volleyballmom2008
    volleyballmom2008 Member Posts: 49
    edited April 2019

Hello ladies. I am wreck. I finished radiation 2 weeks ago. After chemo and surgery, which I was "pcr". Went f I r check up Monday with oncologist. She felt around as did her nurse practioner, said all was good. Last night I felt a lump about the size of a dime, under my incision scar close to surface. I called my surgeon I can't see her until May 9th. I am freaking out. I am hoping scar tissue. My puppy who is also 20 puns jumped on my nreast also the other night, but I am grasping.

• santabarbarian
    edited April 2019

Seems way too big / too fast to be another BC lump. It might be a seroma, or fat, or a scar...? I know it's hard to be in suspense but it seems there are many little lumps post surgery so don't leap to a bad conclusion but do get it checked...

• Valstim52
    Valstim52 Member Posts: 833
    edited April 2019

Hello All

Chiming in on so many thoughts. Looking at everyone's signature, I can't believe I"m approaching 4 years. I had lifetime Red Devil, cytoxan, taxol and 36 rads. In the beginning there is so much coming at you. Articles, statistics, you should eat this, oh no don't eat that. Soy makes cancer grow, green tea makes chemo ineffective. It goes on and on.

For me, chemo, surgery and rads went ok. chemo was a breeze(except for my first one which landed me in the hospital) , so was surgery. Rads burned me terribly and a month after finishing I had a mild stroke due to radiation scatter to my carotid artery. From there my hip arthitis has gone from mild to end stage. I just had a procedure on my hip to help, and it turned into a disaster. I was allergic to the dye had a reaction that put me in the hospital for 3 days. So i'm wobbly and on a cane. Due to advanced arthritis. Which now we hear many bc patients are suffering with some form of arthritis.

Before BC, I was a runner, so very active, ate well etc... now ..... but I'm happy to be here, and will cope with the new normal I did not expect or ask for.

What have I learned, if it comes back (just had friend was tnbc, stage II, had recurrence in same area 9 years later) or it advances, I will choose a way to go, and not second guess it with every article or what someone says. That almost made me insane.

I love this forum. We can bounce things off one another, help those that are just starting, or the rest of us who are coasting along with this cloud over our heads. The cloud does get further away. Truly there are more days I DON'T think of BC, than when I do think about it.

Welcome to those that have joined, and plow on to those that are working through treatment or just finishing.

Val