Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• fc2020
    fc2020 Member Posts: 9
    edited August 2020

So I'm reading all of the inspiring posts today. I don't post much on the forums, but I read them and take solace. I'm coming up on my 1st official year cancer free tomorrow. I have an appt with my MO on Thursday and while I feel great (except thinner hair than before) I still worry that somehow he'll find something at my appointment. Not that they really do any tests for us TNs, but worried just the same. In fact I had pain in my big toe earlier this week and thought "Oh my God, could that be cancer in my toe?!?!" Now I'm 49 years old and it's probably some regular old reason for pain, but with every new sensation I automatically go to the cancer place (smh). Anyway, thanks for the positive energy! Stay well everyone!

• vlh
    vlh Member Posts: 773
    edited August 2020

FC2020, congratulations on your one-year anniversary! The anxiety about every pain or bump being cancer is normal, albeit unwelcome. I hope that no problems were discovered during Thursday's appointment.

Lyn

• katej128
    katej128 Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2020

anyone have a lot of tingles and twinges a few months after finishing treatments? It’s getting worse and I’m not sure if I should be concerned. No new lump but lots of constant activity in the same breast that I had the lumpectomy on. Anyone have anything similar?

• martaj
    martaj Member Posts: 307
    edited September 2020

katej128, I had partial mastectomy with reconstruction in Feb, I still get lot's of funny feelings in my breast. I asked my breast surgeon she said that is normal. Due for mammogram Oct 2nd, first one since surgery so I hope the feelings are normal. I feel fine but always worry it will come back

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited September 2020

Hi Katej, yes I also have the same feelings. I had a lumpectomy 4 years ago and my R breast feels far from normal. I understand that this is probably due to internal scarring - I have tried massaging the area and moisturising every day - I have now given up of it ever feeling back to “normal” and accept that it is better to be free of cancer and have a strange lumpy hard breast! Try not to worry and always get medical advice if you think there is something more sinister than scarring - peace of mind is a good objective. X

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited September 2020

kate j,

Yep, me too. I have little tingles, zaps and twinges. I'm out nearly 2 years from Lx surgery. Some of my sensations may be rads related also.

• Moonfruit
    Moonfruit Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2020

So very glad to hear this!! I think we may have the same Tx center in Santa Barbara as we have the same regimen. I have also had 2 cycles of Keytruda (immunotherapy) and have 2 scheduled. Am anxious about completing treatment, of course, and feeling like I'm on my own with this. Of course we're all in this together!

• Katiha
    Katiha Member Posts: 25
    edited September 2020

Hello everyone!

Decided to join this thread, though I don’t have cancer but my mom does.

She had her first cancer back in 2004. It was slightly ER+(5%) PR+(10%) and HER-.

Tumor was pretty small 0.9 cm.

She had a lumpectomy, full breast radiation and took hormones for 3 months. By the end of 3rd month she developed severe vaginal bleeding and doctor told her to stop taking hormones. He said it’s not really hormonal anyways.

She did not have chemo back in the day.

Lived happily for 16 years and this May they found something suspicious on her mammogram.

Biopsy followed came back negative, oncologist said must be fibroadenoma. Offered her to watch it for 6 months, mom insisted on surgery.

So after surgery they discovered it was cancer, and triple negative on top of those news. 1.3 cm this time.

She had her node biopsy few weeks ago and thankfully nothing in the nodes.

She is starting chemo tomorrow.

I am so worried about chemo and all side effects that come with it. Also worried about her being triple negative, the stats don’t look so promising even with 1st stage.

hoping to find some needed support in this group.

Kate

• vlh
    edited September 2020

Katiha. I'm sorry that your mother is facing cancer again. The negative node status is encouraging. If you glance through past posts, you'll see that here are many long-term survivors checking in on this forum. If you or your mom have any specific questions about chemo, I'm sure that someone here will be able to provide input.

Lyn

• Katiha
    edited September 2020

Thanks VLH!

Mom had her first round of chemo today, she is doing taxol + carboplatin. She said she feels fine just tired yet. We will see how she feels tomorrow, I read the real reaction starts on day 2 or even 3. Fingers crossed.

She said they brought her food during chemo( EU hospital, she also has her own room for this) and she was embarrassed to eat( like who eats during chemo:)) then couldn’t resist and ate everything they brought her. Said did not lose her appetite yet.

I am praying she still feels good tomorrow.

Kate

• mountainmia
    mountainmia Member Posts: 857
    edited September 2020

Kate, my appetite was pretty normal throughout chemo. I didn't have much nausea, never threw up, and didn't have diarrhea. If she starts to feel sick to her stomach, encourage her to take whatever antinausea meds they gave her, as directed. It's easier to deal with if you treat it before it gets going very far.

I hope she's feeling fine tomorrow. It's not easy, but it's pretty doable.

• Katiha
    edited September 2020

hi MountainMia!

Mom felt fine today. Did not lose her appetite, said just more sleepy than normal in the evening.

Her doctor warned her usually it will hit day 3. So fingers crossed it’s easy for her tomorrow!

Kate

• vlh
    edited September 2020

No need for your mom to feel embarrassed about eating during her chemo infusion. I'm a fan of anything that distracts one and makes the time go more quickly. I had a little trouble with nausea during a couple of infusions, but slowing the speed of delivery made a big difference. Please encourage your mom to speak up if she feels queasy or flushed during her treatments because there may be minor tweaks that can be made that will keep her comfortable. Please keep us posted!

Lyn

• vlh
    edited September 2020

That's great, Kate! Please keep us posted.

Lyn

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited September 2020

I'm on taxol & immunotherapy right now & I'm pretty much always hungry & I've been gaining weight. Not the image of a cancer patient lol. It really depends on the chemo & how each individual responds. And with taxol, some of it is the steroids they give you to prevent allergic reactions ... So she's not alone. Eat while the eating is good :)

• mountainmia
    edited September 2020

Tomorrow is the first anniversary of my last radiation treatment. I know that NO ONE knows this but me, or how each of these anniversaries plays in my head -- a year ago was my surgery; a year ago was my first chemo; a year ago was my last chemo; a year ago my legs were buckling under me; a year ago... ALL of those. No one knows how I think about these, not even my husband. I know it only plays in my head. I know it is only important to me. I know he (and he was with me through ALL of it, and listened well through all of it) doesn't still have it all in his head. I know he doesn't quite get it when I say, I read an interesting article today about a targeted therapy for tnbc mets, approved this year... I know he doesn't quite get the catch in my voice when I ponder about whether "we" will still be living here 10 years from now.

I know you all get it.

Tomorrow is the first anniversary of my last radiation treatment. I had a lumpectomy, then chemo, then rads, then a reduction on my healthy breast. But the CANCER treatment, that ended a year ago tomorrow.

I wonder how to celebrate the occasion. I wonder who to tell.

• Katiha
    edited September 2020

Happy anniversary MountainMia!

While I am not a cancer patient or survivor I hope I can still get the feelings. I try to read as much as I can about TNBC.

This cancer has forever changed my life, I will forever have fears about mom and myself and all the women around me. And I will forever read about new targeted therapies and hope that things will change in a month or a year.

And I think things will change for the best.

If I was to celebrate this date I would go to my favorite restaurant and have my favorite dish with some good wine or cocktail.

And I would tell everyone

Kate

• scotbird
    scotbird Member Posts: 592
    edited September 2020

I get it Mia - I keep it to myself when I reach these milestones. I did announce one of them to my family at dinner a while back. They all said they didn’t want to be reminded, just want to forget all about it and never think of it again. I think about it quite a lot. Not every day but a lot and I mostly keep the thoughts to myself because it seems to embarrass or upset people to mention it and so it seems impolite. Congratulations 1 year is a great milestone - I am quietly celebrating with you. X.

• JCSLibrarian
    JCSLibrarian Member Posts: 548
    edited September 2020

This has brought back some memories. I actually told my family about my MBC diagnosis over Thanksgiving dinner in 2018. Recently my eldest DS posted that his mother sure knew how to ruin a holiday! Last year, he and his wife were in Paris over Thanksgiving and he mentioned maybe skipping the holiday this year. Seems he is now concerned that more news might be shared! I do congratulate myself on the various milestone dates. they are affirmations that I am winning some of the battles that come with this disease. I also designed a bracelet where I add a stone for each year’s anniversary. I can look at the bracelet daily and pat myself on the back for getting through chemo, SBRT and learning about how to treat my diagnosis. Congrats to everyone here that has anniversaries and milestones to celebrate

• LoveMyVizsla
    LoveMyVizsla Member Posts: 526
    edited September 2020

Mountain Mia, please tell me about your reduction on your healthy breast. It's something I've thought about, to even myself out. Did it cause the same pains after surgery as your cancer surgery(did you have a lumpectomy or mastectomy). I know a second cancer on the opposite side is rare, but I worry about that too.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-news/articles/2020-08-17/delayed-surgery-for-early-breast-cancer-wont-harm-survival-study

• martaj
    edited September 2020

love my, I had a partial mastectomy on right breast with reconstruction, and reduction on left. Both breast are same size, I went from 34f size bra to 34 c, Love it. No more pain than usual post op pain. I can buy bras off racks now. I'm petite in statue, and small, so I'm very happy. More scarring of right but heck at least I still have my breasts. Radiation did cause some dimpling along surgical scarring, but no one sees it but me and hubby. I'm stage 3 triple negative, also had lymph nodes removed. All margins neg. Having a full mammo Oct 2 of which I have lots of anxiety about

• mountainmia
    edited September 2020

LoveMyVizsla, I had lumpectomy in April 2019 and reduction of the other breast in November. My recovery was very similar, other than I was already worn out in November due to all the other treatment all year. Neither surgery caused me much pain. I didn't take any prescription pain meds either time. I didn't have drains or infections or any problems at all.

The reduction surgery was more extensive. For the lumpectomy, I have one linear scar on the upper, outer quadrant of my left breast. For the reduction, I have an anchor scar. It circumscribes my nipple, runs to the bottom edge of my breast, and then goes to both the left and right of that line. Fortunately I have good healing, so now 10 months later, the scars are visible but not outrageous at all. My nipples are pale, but if they were rosier you probably wouldn't see the scar around it, and the lower lines are hidden under the curve. My nipples have never been very sensitive, so I don't have much sense of what the surgery did to that. I am very very very happy I did it. I went from a C/D cup (pre cancer) to a B/C cup, so not much change, but I'm shockingly symmetrical now.

• martaj
    edited October 2020

I had my first mammo today after mastectomy with reconstruction and reduction on other breast and it was normal!!!! No evidence of cancer. I was Triple Neg, stage 3

• santabarbarian
    santabarbarian Member Posts: 2,311
    edited October 2020

YAY Martaj, that is such wonderful news!!! I am so glad to hear it!! xxxx

• TulaMarie
    TulaMarie Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2020

Hi Everyone, It looks like this thread is still active and it's heartbreaking but wonderful to find a this group. I've just been diagnosed Triple Negative Breast Cancer. I'm 32, so this was very unexpected and I'm looking for any advice or encouragement from those with similar diagnosis. Just had a MRI this morning and I'm not sure if that will determine if it's spread?? Anyway, these next two weeks are dedicated to ovary stimulation to freeze eggs before I begin Chemo (AC) on October 21st. Tired of all the needles but I know this is just the beginning of my journey.

Thanks

• moth
    moth Member Posts: 3,293
    edited October 2020

Hi TulaMarie, sorry you find yourself here. yes, an MRI can usually detect spread. Some MO's prefer CT, some MRI but either should tell you your current situation.

Have you been tested for BRCA yet?

The monthly chemo threads are a great resource & I'd suggest joining the October 2020 thread. Also, if you read through some of the older threads, you can learn about common side effects and coping techniques. It's weird but soon all the medical appts become your new normal . The first days and weeks after dx are the worst - it gets better

Best wishes

• cookie54
    cookie54 Member Posts: 828
    edited October 2020

Hi TulaMarie, I'm so sorry this is happening to you. However you will find tremendous support and information here, I know I have. Just wanted to stop by and wish you well. Yes the first couple weeks after diagnosis I found to be the hardest part. I always felt better once I had my treatment plan and got chemo going. I think you will also. Hang in there and remember you are not alone...hugs

• hawkvand
    hawkvand Member Posts: 23
    edited October 2020

Hey TulaMarie, I was diagnosed at 30 so I 100% feel you with the unexpectedness of it all. This thread is a great place to come for support and hope so I’m happy you found it. As far as the needles go once (if?) you get a port it will get a lot easier. They can use cryo-spray or emla cream to numb it, and if you really hate needles some places give you the choice of having the nurse draw your labs through your port when they hook you up before chemo. It can mean a bit longer of an appointment but might be worth it if you really don’t like pokes.

Moth is right; the first bit is the hardest part. Once you have an action plan and a better idea of where you stand you can focus on that. Treatment isn’t fun but it’s nice to feel like you’re actively doing something. On a side note, if you haven’t gotten tested for gene mutations make sure you know the repercussions first. I got tested and found out I’m BRCA1 positive which is good to know for prevention, but now I will never be able to get life insurance other than through work benefits even if it’s been decades since my diagnosis. It may not have changed my mind about getting the test but I wish I’d known so I could make that choice knowingly.

• NinjaMeow
    NinjaMeow Member Posts: 9
    edited October 2020

Hi Tula- I was diagnosed at 40 after the birth of my youngest - no family history and genetics were negative. Just know that we are here for you - like the others responded it is so overwhelming and crazy to be thinking about all of this but once a plan is in place it will start to feel better. There are many up and downs - it is all ok. I am 7 years out from diagnosis this month but I was completely mentally numb at the time. Keep us updated!!

Karen

• piperkay
    piperkay Member Posts: 132
    edited October 2020

Hi TulaMarie,

I'm chiming in even though I'm older than you are - 53 - and just about two years out. I agree with all that's been said so far, but wanted you to know that I'm from Atlanta, too, and if you have any questions that might benefit from a more local perspective, just let me know. Have you figured out to do private messaging yet? Hang in there! You'll get through this!