Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited January 2011

my cat won't stay off my chest

it's my fault though

when he was a baby he was very sick and i kept him in the top of my shirt to keep him warm - i force fed and forced water on him to keep him alive.

now 15 pounds later - he still tries to climb in my shirt lol

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

Obviously, great potential for kitty titty overload...

• Claire82
    Claire82 Member Posts: 490
    edited January 2011

ohh love em

• Swanny
    Swanny Member Posts: 118
    edited January 2011

Soooo cute!

• riley702
    riley702 Member Posts: 575
    edited January 2011

Very pretty bed, too! Love the lace bed-hanging.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited January 2011

I'm in the feel yourself up club also....plus a cat lover (we have two)...

• TiffanyF4
    TiffanyF4 Member Posts: 104
    edited January 2011

Hello all my TN ladies! I haven't logged on in a long while. I have tried to distance myself from Breast Cancer. I do think of all of you often. I hope everyone is doing well.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited January 2011

HeidiToo:  So many beautiful babies!  I only have two and one likes to sleep on my feet and the other at my head and they both like to walk on me!

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited January 2011

Love the picture, Heidi, and the bed looks sooooo inviting.  Would love to sleep under that pretty canopy.  I have two cats and both of them take turns sleeping on my chest every night!  And I wonder why I don't sleep well!

• MIchelle67
    MIchelle67 Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2011

Hi ladies,

I wanted to be counted as being boob-vigilant too, but instead of feeling (I do, but am afraid to sometimes, must be PTSD since I found "the" lump myself in Oct.) I am a visual checker.

I've healed well from my two recent surgeries and always find myself smiling when I look in the mirror because all I can think is that my breasts look like Marty Feldman's eyes! 

(wish I knew how to post a pic of Mr. Feldman, who also always made me laugh)

• SunnyCoconut
    SunnyCoconut Member Posts: 191
    edited January 2011

Michelle67 - OMG that is so funny.  I couldn't remember who Marty Feldman was so I googled it and busted out laughing!  That is great.

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited January 2011

You guys are so bad!! I googled too and laugh! Thanks I needed that.

• MBJ
    edited January 2011

LOL!!!

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited January 2011

Marty Feldman eyes...what a hoot!

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011
  • TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited January 2011

Finally some good news!!! My genetic test came back BRCA1- negative and BRCA 2- variance of unknown significance-which after a 40 minute conversation the dr. told me it basically means negative. He also said 95% of triple negatives would have the BRCA1 mutation if they were positive. I can now rest easier knowing my precious 5 year old daughter doesn't have any more chance of getting breast and/or ovarian cancer than anyone else!! If i didn't hurt so bad from my infected port (removed Fri,) area, i would be doing a happy dance!!

• Blindsided
    Blindsided Member Posts: 28
    edited January 2011
    TifJ: congratulations on your test results.  Sometimes a "triple negative" is a good thing!  What a relief for you not to have to worry about your precious daughter!
  • tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2011
    sorry, but I'm confused by this statement...He also said 95% of triple negatives would have the BRCA1 mutation if they were positive.  If they were positive for what?  sorry, just confused and trying to understnad :)
  • cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited January 2011

TifJ:  Congrats!!!  That is wonderful news!!

tnbcRuth:  I think what she meant was if a triple negative person gets the test for BRCA, if they test positive she was told that 95% of them would have the BRCA1 genetic disorder... not BRCA2.  I happen to be a rare bird in that I was triple negative and BRCA2+, which is fairly rare, but not impossible.  On the other hand, I believe probably 95% of BRCA2 positive people are estrogen positive for cancer.  Does that make sense?

As for boobie feeling.  Prior to my bilat mx, I was also feeling where the tumor was supposed to be, as well as everywhere else for any other lumps.  I had just about talked myself into having cancer in a lot of areas... but I didn't... and in my case, my tumor didn't grow while I waited for surgery.  I think the fetish with boobs happens to everyone who has had breast cancer, to one extent or another.  I never had much interest in my boobs prior to cancer... but now it's a regular thing.

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited January 2011

You know how naive I was until I earned my PhD in triple negative BC within two weeks?  There is no cancer in my family whatsoever, on either side, and I have been fortunate in never having had a friend be diagnosed with BC (never imagined it would be me though either!), so whenever I read anything about BC, or donated, or watched a commercial on tv, I would always say - geez, if I ever get cancer, I hope it's BC.  They just cut them off and you're fine!  Duh!!!!  I cannot believe I ever said that let alone really believed it!  Guess I'm eating my words now.  Like that saying.... be careful what you wish for.....

Now my every waking hour or just about is all about touching breasts and thinking bones, liver, lungs and brain - geez.

• TifJ
    edited January 2011
    Ruth- Angelisa is right. I just didn't explain it very well. It is rare indeed that Angelisa is BRCA2 and triple negative. My dr. didn't mention about the BRCA2 estrogen positive thing, but it makes sense to me. Angelisa- when your dr. gave you your results did he/she tell you it was rare?
  • jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited January 2011

RE:  anxiety meds........I started taking Effexor for hotflashes and found out that in addition to the reduction of hotflashes that I am much happier - I love it!!! 

RE:   bubbies/boobies/Marty Feldman's eyes - I have no boobs to feel (yet), but do find myself rubbing the middle area of my chest at times.

LRM -  I was BC ignorant as well.  I was the first in my family to have any type of cancer, didn't know anyone with cancer and thought my lump was a cyst and was not worried (thank goodness I had a mammogram shortly after the lump was found).  I didn't know that there were a bunch of different types of BC.........Live and learn.

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited January 2011
    TifJ:  When my genetic counselor went over the results, she really didn't have to tell me it was rare.  I had already studied up on it quite a bit, so I knew pretty much everything she was going to say once I knew I was positive.  It is true, most people who test positive for BRCA1 will be dx with triple negative, and most BRCA2 will be estrogen positive.  However, they do overlap some.  I know of other people on here and other forums who are part of this overlapping.  And I know of some people who have been first dx with triple negative BRCA2+ who went on to have a local recurrence and turned out estrogen positive then.  It's really a strange beast.  Sort of similar are the instances where two sisters, one positive/one negative, both get bc.  My half sister tested negative for BRCA, yet she had bc at 41 and just had a hysterectomy at 47.  I believe something is still in the blood in these cases but scientists haven't found the link yet.  There are so many different genetic things that can make a person susceptible to bc and other types of cancers that they simply don't know yet.
  • moe0279
    moe0279 Member Posts: 100
    edited January 2011

hi ladies, I just wanted to share my terrific news...My dr. confirmed my suspicions about the tumor reducing in size...she said she felt a definite difference..YIPPEE!!! Im so excited and on such a high right now...I know that i have made good decisions....

on the other hand, i didn't get to have the infusion today...My liver levels were elevated to 405 should be 245. 10 times higher than the norm..i was really disappointed and scared that if i miss an appt that my response will stop....is this possible....blood counts were good, can anyone explain high liver levels means and could do...I know that is my body telling me that i need a break so i should be completely happy with a break from side effects and no steroids and glutamine this week... I don't drink, but i have been taking tylenol for pain at night...so now im going to change to advil or alive...any other suggestions for pain...i wish i could get thru the night without something...

• MBJ
    edited January 2011

Moe: MilkThistle is great for clearing out the liver which can become toxic after chemo.  It's natural and it's inexpensive and you can read about it on BCO under the supplements page.  Congratulations that it's working.

Tif:  Yay!!!!

• Babs37
    Babs37 Member Posts: 320
    edited January 2011

Moe0279: It hapened to me once on AC with Neupogen shots that my liver levels were high and it was because of the tylenol I was taking for the Neupogen pains. Tylenol is really hard on the liver. My doctor told me not to take to much. I listened to him and on my following chemo, my liver was fine.

Isabelle XX

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited January 2011

re BRCA - Thanks for the clarification :)   My blood is sitting in the lab up there waiting for ins. to make up their mind.

Yea! for shrinking tumors!

• TifJ
    edited January 2011

Thanks Angelisa! I know that the "variant of unknown significance" may not be 100% negative. I was told that the specific defect has been found in 43 other people, but there has never been enough of a family history or other indications that required further testing for these people. My dr. did say that these defects are continually studied and say in 3 years (or whatever) they find this defect to be an actual cause of BC, then they would notify every dr. that has ever submitted this defect and then the dr. is responsible for locating that patient. He has not seen this happen in his career yet. I do not have enough family left to warrant further testing. The only blood relative I have is a brother. I am going to think positively, for once. and treat this as negative like my dr. told me to.

Ruth- i hope your ins. company gets off their a$$ and gets your test done- I will be praying for negative for you!

Moe- yay on the shrinkage!!!

• MBJ
    edited January 2011

Ruth:  Sorry your insurance is making you wait.  I go through this all of the time and it's so frustrating!  Hang in there.

• HeidiToo
    edited February 2011

Prognostic Significance of Triple Negative Breast Cancer at Tumor Size 1 cm and Smaller

Eur J Surg Oncol. 2011 Jan 1;37(1):18-24, HW Lai, SJ Kuo, LS Chen, CW Chi, ST Chen, TW Chang, DR Chen

Based on previous reports and this retrospective study from Taiwan, triple-negative tumor status is very likely an independent risk factor for small (<1 cm) node-negative invasive breast cancer.

TAKE-HOME MESSAGEBased on previous reports and this retrospective study from Taiwan, triple-negative tumor status is very likely an independent risk factor for small (<1 cm) node-negative invasive breast cancer.Abstract

Aims: The purpose of this study was to clarify the prognostic significance of triple-negative breast cancer (TNBC) with a tumor size ≤ 1 cm.

Materials and Methods: Patients with primary operable breast cancer with a tumor size ≤ 1 cm were enrolled at Changhua Christian Hospital and National Cheng-Kung University Hospital. Tumors negative for ER, PR, and HER-2 were classified as TNBCs and compared with tumors with any receptor positivity (non-TNBC) for disease-free survival (DFS) and cancer-specific survival (CSS).

Results: From 1995 to 2006, a total of 377 patients with tumor size ≤ 1 cm were enrolled. Compared with non-TNBC patients, TNBC patients with a tumor size ≤ 1 cm as a whole or in a lymph node-positive subgroup were not associated with a poorer 5-year DFS and CSS. In lymph node-negative patients (pT1a-bN0M0), TNBC was associated with a poorer 5-year CSS but not DFS. Compared with the hormone receptor-positive, HER-2-negative subgroup, TNBC was associated with poorer DFS and CSS. In the multivariate Cox regression hazard analysis, lymph node invasion was the most important cause of disease recurrence and cancer-specific death.

Conclusion: TNBC is very likely an independent risk factor in small (≤1 cm) node-negative invasive breast cancer. With tumors 1 cm and smaller, lymph node invasion was the single most important prognostic factor.

Don't you just love these f*cking studies? Who's on first... I don't know... he's on second, no He's on third. Blah blah blah...

Why don't they just say "nodes matter.... sometimes.... well, maybe once and awhile...sh*t, it's a crap shoot, we just like doing studies"