Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• dianemoe
    dianemoe Member Posts: 52
    edited January 2011

Hi ladies I have posted before just been awhile. I am indeed a lurker obsessed I might add several daily viewings among 5 threads. I was dx 9-1-2010 with 1.2 cm medullary BC. Had lump. and sentinel node removed. Was told right after surgery no node involvement. BS called 3 days later to say good news clean margins bad news sentinel node was dirty. I was told at first rads and on your merry way. I was dx er+pr-her2-. After having affected node chemo was mentioned. I asked for oncotype test to be done. My score was (48) 32% chance of recurrence. Also changed dx to tripe neg. Now we know what we are dealing with.  Did go back and have axillary nodes removed 27 taken all clean.I have had 3 tx of 5-FU,Cytoxan,Epirubicin,Dexmethasone. Feb 2, I start Taxotere x 3. Then 30 Rads to follow. My mind keeps going back and forth if I had all the correct info  from the very beginning would I have opted for bmx. I feel my answer would have been YES. I see my bs in a week for a follow up. I'm gonna discuss it with him. He always put things in terms like if you were my wife I would want her to. I want to know what would you be suggesting to her. I so love the discussions here some days I'm so down I lurk around and one of you makes me smile.   HUGS to you all... Diane

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited January 2011

I had good news about my mammo. and ultrasound, BS saying no problems.   She had to drain a seroma and after only getting a little bit of fluid she said it looked ok.  Two days later, her sec. phoned to book an app't for monday morning.... to talk about my test results.  I'm thinking this can't be good.  I wasn't booked to see her again until next month after my visit with the PS.  Geeeeeez, now I am very nervous.

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited January 2011

Cc4npg - that is wonderful it was caught so early! My mammo in April was "clear" but I have such dense breasts I'm sure what was there was impossible to see. That's why I'm going for the bilateral, I just can't trust a mammo. I can see more than a rainbow...be sure to grab that pot of gold!!

dianemoe - please try not to beat yourself up over your decision. Statistics show that overall, lumpectomy with rads is just as effective as a mastectomy. Many TNs get lumpectomies and have no further problems.

Kelben - I will keep my fingers crossed that everything is just fine and your doctor just needs to go over the results "officially." I think sometimes doctors forget that we are sensitive to every little nuance. I told mine I wanted results - bad and good - the same way, in person. No phone calls. That way I don't get worried if she doesn't call or sets up an appointment. My thoughts are with you!

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited January 2011

Kelben:

Good luck Kelben - and I'm not fond of how this was handled!  Jeez, I'd be apprehensive too. Did you ask when she called anything about "what test results" etc.????  The only thing I can think of is that they tested the fluid removed and maybe some infection???? I really have no idea. I too had a seroma and had a breast MRI to double check only because of their being really complete on everything because of the dang TN, but it verified it was a seroma and they told me they were going to let it self absorb on its own and not drain it, so I really have no idea what this could be about.  Try to put it on the shelf until Monday when you see her (like you have a choice).  Keep us posted, please.

Linda

• kelben
    edited January 2011

I love that song !!!!    Thanks Teka, and Suze.

• lrm216
    edited January 2011

Teka:

Mine is Miley Cyrus (!!!!) - The Climb. It got me through all my chemo, especially when I wanted to just quit the whole dang thing.  I'll have to listen to yours again -it's been a long time since I heard it.

Linda

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited January 2011

Talking about songs..Jimmy Buffet for me."Changes in latitude, changes in attitude"..oh and Styx.."Sailing Away.

Oh..and for you older ladies (like me)..did you ever like Meatloaf?  Paradise by the dashboard light???? What a song..I use to dance my rear off to that song.. (don't tell anyone) Surprised

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011
    Titan- so *that's* what happened to your *ss?Laughing
  • Titan
    edited January 2011

Heidi..guess that is where it went!  HA HA!  I liked to dance at discos too...don't tell anyone!

• beccad
    beccad Member Posts: 189
    edited January 2011

Oh, Titan, another parrot head?  Almost anything by Jimmy Buffett, he's been with me on the mp3 player all through chemo, along with meatloaf, Queen and others.  I did some Disco dancing too, but it didn't help my @ss, it has stuck around for years. 

Becky 

• lrm216
    edited January 2011

Titan!  -  Oh, so that was YOU dancing right next to me?????  You could have moved over a bit, you were taking up the whole dance floor!

• Titan
    edited January 2011

Linda..that was YOU in the skinny jeans and stilettos??  It was such a small dance floor!

Becky..so glad that Jimmy is helping you through treatment...Just because your body has to be there in the room doesn't mean your mind has to be...

• beccad
    edited January 2011

Titan,

Oh Jimmy has gotten me through lots of thing over the years. I think I have seen him in concert 8 or 9 times, and have had to replace several CD's that have flat been worn out. Not to mention replacing cassettes with CD's. He was the 1st to be on that mp3 player.  

Becky 

• lrm216
    edited January 2011

Yeah - that was me - 25 lbs lighter pre-treatment.  Now my feet are even too fat to get through the ankles of my skinny jeans - let alone the rest of me!  But I do have the memories of when life was sweet and I was so naive as to what was to come!

• Suze35
    edited January 2011

Oh memories! My dad lived the Florida Keys for 15 years, then on a boat sailing around for another 10...Jimmy Buffett...warm oceans, sandy beaches, sigh...

And I remember seeing Meatloaf in concert in college! I had every song from Bat Out of He'll memorized.

I'll have to start a dance my butt off routine when all this is over mysel, lol.

• beccad
    edited January 2011

Am  I the strange one in this group?  I have lost 25 lbs (not that I needed them)  while on chemo?  Is it the Taxotere, Adrimycin, Cytoxan combo?  I have had to get new jeans, and my scrubs for work really look like I am wearing somebody else's PJs now.

Not bragging, but I was kinda used to the comfy clothes I lived in.

• lrm216
    edited January 2011

I did in fact lose 17 lbs during the taxotere - I lived on onion soup - can't even bear the site of it today.  But, alas - as I gathered back my strength and my taste buds in the year and a half since that ended - and all mouth sores healed, etc., I put it back on and a few extra! 

• Suze35
    edited January 2011

My problem during chemo is crappy comfort foods - spaghetti o's, pizza, raviolis...I had lost 20 pounds over the year prior to my diagnosis by completely changing the way I eat, and now, I just eat whatever I can stomach, blech. But I've only gained about 8 pounds so far.

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited January 2011

You all crack me up! My club dancing days were from the mid 80's to mid 90's, but my heart belongs to the music from the 70's.

Kelben- sending good thoughts for your sppt. on Monday!

I lost about 10lbs from surgery through tx 1. Then it started to creep back on. Have gained 5lbs back. Could stand to lose about 15lbs. now.

I never had much of an a** to begin with, but does anyone know a dance to get rid of the cellulite back there?? LOL!!

• beccad
    edited January 2011

Yeah I know the crappy food syndrome.  When I can stand food it is red jello, potato soup,or scrambled eggs.  I am thinking that potato soup will never cross my lips again after this is done.  It is really bad when dark chocolate tastes like soap.

• lrm216
    edited January 2011

The only dance I know that can help cellulite of the arse is the plastic surgeon hop.  Otherwise, it appears that just by being born a female - we are cursed with it.  At least you can hide it - even in a bathing suit - unless of course you are one of those "thong" girls!  I can only show my hands, feet and face - otherwise I have to cover everything else completely, lol!

• gillyone
    gillyone Member Posts: 495
    edited January 2011

I lost more than 20# from dx to the end of tx. When I started eating and tasting again it started piling back on which is why I'm on the TN ten pound take off thread. I might not get rid of 10# but want to be back under 140. Before dx, it was many years since I had been under 140, and I am determined not to let it all creep back on. I had to buy lots of new clothes during tx and found old ones that fit again. I'm not buying bigger clothes!

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011

Gosh, I must be a wallflower. The only "dancing" I ever did was on high-strung horses that were eager to play at whatever it was we were about to do. Fun, but kind of like waiting for a bomb to go off at times....

Saw "The King's Speech" yesterday with my two sons. It was very entertaining: the perfect blend of history and humor. I highly recommend it!

• TifJ
    TifJ Member Posts: 804
    edited January 2011
    LRM216 - defintely not a thong girl!!! The perfect bathing suit for me would cover from chest to knees! I certainly could use some toning up!!
  • MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited January 2011

Bikinis, thongs and dancing in stilettos, oh my!  When I was younger I lived in a bikini--24/7 there I was, at the beach, working on my tan.  I am 6' tall, so no heels.  As far as music goes:  I was honing my crafts as a singer/songwriter back in the day, so I mostly listened to great female an male singers or great songwriters.   I really miss performing and being able to wear a bikini!

I lost half of my 30 pounds during my 6 x TC--I was lucky my husband kept shoving food in my face, or I probably would have lost alot more.  Now that I gained all of my bad habits back during the holidays, it's back to losing a few pounds for me.

Kelben:  Sending you many good thoughts--I hate that the dr's don't consider that they are scaring the pants off of you when they announce an unexpected visit.  I hope it is nothing to worry about.  Hugs.  

• kelben
    edited January 2011

Just hearing Jimmy Buffet, Beach Boys, Jesse Winchester, Police, Jackson Brown, john Prine, takes me back to the "good old days"  and people think I am crazy sitting in the recliner during chemo with my eyes closed and a smile on my face.  Its funny how music works.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited January 2011

Loved, loved, loved many of those bands and musicians!

• mitymuffin
    mitymuffin Member Posts: 242
    edited January 2011

Has anyone heard from Laura Jane? I hope she is doing well and we haven't heard from her because she is not checking these boards so that she can enjoy her life and forget about cancer as much as possible. That is my wish for her. (That and complete recovery, which is my wish for us all.)

RE: Jimmy Buffet etc: Absolutely we need to soak every minute for  fun and joy and laughter. 

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited January 2011

Agree Heidi, saw King's Speech last week; awesome!

• kittycat
    kittycat Member Posts: 1,155
    edited January 2011

I love Jimmy Buffett.  I've gone to a few of his concerts, which the pre-party was awesome!  My hubby just downloaded a country song "Knee Deep" by the Zac Brown Band, where Jimmy Buffett is featured - awesome song!!