Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• monisch
    monisch Member Posts: 43
    edited February 2011

hey ladies,  DC sounds like fun but I certainly cannot make it there :(   live way to far to just come for the weekend.  Anyway I wish you all lots of fun and make lots of pictures .

A bit of good news on my side of the world... IM DONE !!!!!  I had my last Rad today... total of 8 weeks 5 days per week. Whoooohooooo. My skin looks like burnt chicken  LOL but it'll all be good again soon. Was a long road but when ya think about it it all went by quickly..with alot of big bumps in the road . 

To the comment about " dont sleep with your pets "  well yeah okay.. but just dont let them scratch you or bite you... I know what Im talking about. My puppy punctured my skin on my hand about 7 days after a taxotere sitting... it got infected, almost gave me a sepsis , I had fever etc... I had a complete collapse and ended up in the emergency room.. they hospitalized me for 4 days. About 1 week after the collapse they operated on my hand to get out the infection.. I now have a huge  scar on my right hand.  SO yes be carefull of your pets,  that scratch or small bite can kill you .

Ladies until next time.. take care of yourselves...  be back soon

• jenn3
    jenn3 Member Posts: 388
    edited February 2011

Babs - thinking of you (((hugs)))

MBJ - sounds like you're starting to feel a little better - hope you continue up hill.

Monish - congrats on being done!!! whoo hooooooo

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited February 2011

Babs37:  Praying your surgery will go smoothly and recovery will be quick!  Just ask for Versed as soon as they can give it to you... it is a miracle drug for me and I remembered nothing after 5 minutes of getting it!  This time tomorrow, you'll be on the other side!

Monish:  Congrats on being DONE!!!

• Babs37
    Babs37 Member Posts: 320
    edited February 2011

Thanks everyone for your kind words. I am very happy to have found you all. (((Hugs)))

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited February 2011

Babs -

All the best to you and an uneventful recovery. 

Carole:

Welcome and sorry you had to join us.  You will find great info and friendship here with us.  Stay strong and fight!

Linda

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited February 2011

Hi guys.  Gone for the weekend to a dog show.  Had a great time and my little girl won 2 points.  It was great!     So Thurs. I was to see my plastic surgeon to discuss recon.   Her office is 3 hours away.  We get there very early because we wanted to miss the AM traffic, but my app't wasn't until 1030.  I wait and wait and we all know how well we like waiting.   When I finally registered, they told me I wasn't on the list for clinic that day.    I was very upset, and apparently there was nothing they could do because they didn't have my chart.   The office screwed up, I had even phoned and confirmed my app't and they ok'd me for that day.   I don't know what happened but when I got home I called the office and after going about 3 rounds with receptionist Ratchet she booked me for March the 17th.   Disappointment was an understatement for me.  They even phoned and gave my BS receptionist heck for giving me the wrong date...  I'm glad I had the dog show to take my mind off things, I know I would have stewed all weekend.

Heidi hope you are feeling better soon.

Jenn, I have been thinking positive thoughts for you.

Suze, Hope you have a great time in NY.

• tnbcRuth
    tnbcRuth Member Posts: 338
    edited February 2011

Monish-congratulations!!!  And good info on the pets.  I'm fostering a dog right now that loves to gnaw on my fingers!  He would die of happiness if I let him sleep in the bed...so far I"ve resisted. 

Kathy-that so SUCKS!!!   3 hours??? I would have been totally pissed too.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2011

Hey everyone..Suze..have fun in NYC..!  Kathy..what a waste of time for you..I'm always amazed..I  used to tell them that I didnt' get paid waiting for them...I

Babs..good luck tomorrow...will be thinking of you and can't wait to hear from you!

We are having TONS of snow AGAIN in Ohio..I'm wondering if spring will ever come.

• kelben
    edited February 2011

thanks Titan, it was a bad day.

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited February 2011
    kelben- what a crappy thing to have happen!
  • cc4npg
    edited February 2011

Kathy:  That's horrible!  I would have been calling people left and right trying to figure out who made this mistake and what they could do to remedy it!  Wow.

Titan:  I promise.. Spring IS coming to Ohio!  I'm closer to Dayton/Springfield and all we have is a dusting of snow, but we did get a little ice.  Last week I cleared away some of the left over perennials from last year and all of them were starting to emerge!  So it's coming!!

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited February 2011

Babs:  Hope everything is going smoothly!  Thining about you!

Titan:  Hopefully this is the last snow that you will have for the year!  Stay toasty!!!

Kelben:  I had that done to me last year and it totally sucks.  So sorry to hear you wasted your day!

Monish:  Congratulations on being done.  Wahoooooo!!!!

• MBJ
    edited February 2011

Weights to stave off lymphedema:   There's a new study reporting that if you've had lymphedema or are at risk of developing this condition, weight lifting can benefit you. Lymphedema is characterized by excess fluid (lymph) that collects in tissues and causes swelling (edema) in them. You've probably heard of it, if not experienced if yourself if you've had lymph nodes removed to treat breast cancer. Or if you were treated with high doses of radiation. You've probably also heard, "Go easy lifting the groceries. And don't lift your kids anymore or break out the dumb bells."

But in December 2010 a report came out stating that weight training reduced risk for arm swelling by 36% in women who had nodal dissections and then did supervised weight training for one year. The reduction was actually higher in women who had the most lymph nodes removed - 70 percent in participants who had five or more removed.

Based on these latest results, breast cancer rehabilitation should be the standard of care for conditioning and strengthening the arm, and ultimately for preventing injury, said Kathryn Schmitz, PhD, MPH, the lead investigator from the University of Pennsylvania's Abramson Cancer Center. The 77 women in the study looking at 154  breast cancer survivors who had lymph nodes removed, participated in twice weekly, 90-minute classes. They used free weights and machines and were closely supervised.

To find a certified trainer, American College of Sports Medicine: http://forms.acsm.org/_frm/crt/online_locator.asp.

• kelben
    edited February 2011

thanks guys, I'm over it now but at the time, I was crying and everything..... what a suck I am!!

Anyway instead of waiting until June which was their first time they gave me, I pressed them a little and I got March 17th, so not too bad.   Here we go again with the waiting... sheeesh

• MBJ
    edited February 2011
    ((((Kelben)))):  It doesn't take much these days to reduce me to a blubbering mess!  Hugs!!!
  • EricaH
    EricaH Member Posts: 11
    edited February 2011

Sunny Coconut!  Hello from across the pond!

• SunnyCoconut
    SunnyCoconut Member Posts: 191
    edited February 2011

Erica - Hellooo!  Fancy meeting you here.  Undecided

• Lovelyface
    Lovelyface Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2011

Ladies

I came back from my 4th Rads today.  Radiologist showed me my plans today.  Did anyone out there see their plans for RADS, did they get to see what areas of their breast and beyond are being radiated?  did anyone get any exposure to their lungs and/or heart?  Just curious to know what is the norms. In my case, a little bit on the side under the arms is getting some half dose or something, not to mention that maybe a tiny bit of lungs too.  I am freaking out since I came back from RADS.  I will ask to take a look at my plans again tomorrow before I do the RADs.  I was too freaked out to ask the right questions when she was showing my plans to me and mentioned a half dose to the tiny part of the lungs.  It seems like my body is a dumpster, they can do anything they like to it, damage the tiny bit of lungs or whatever, in order to kill the cancer cells in the breast.

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited February 2011

My radiologist offered to show me the images on the computer - very colourful! - and while I'm not expert, he was very clear about how targeted the rads are, missing my heart and minimal lung exposure (this despite a deep tumour). It's true there are trade-offs in BC treatment. It's true that rads pose some risk, but generally far, far less than the risks presented by leftover BC cells. Perhaps you can raise your concerns with your rad onc and see what he/she says?    

• jenn3
    edited February 2011

Lovelyface - My rad onc showed me the plans, it was actually very interesting to see.  He too showed me where it would barely hit the outer edge of the lungs and the very outer tip of the heart. 

To all of my TN friends - It has been confirmed, I have three lesions on my lungs and one on my spine - I have a lot to think about over the next week or so, but I will keep you posted.

• Lovelyface
    Lovelyface Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2011

Oh dear Jenn - I am so sorry to hear your news, my dear.  You know things do work, so this does not mean a death sentence, not at all.  I met an older lady recently at my RADS and she told me that she was diagnosed 30 years ago, and now has a recurrence, brain and bone mets.  She said the disease is now manageable, and she treats it like a chronic illness, rather than a death sentence.  Keep your body strong and healthy by exercise and right food, and you can fight anything.  I just came back from Zometa infusion, and have exercised for 40 minutes.  I am gonna go for another 1 hr, 20 mins.  They said to keep on moving.  May we all see a cure very very soon, while we are still going through treatments, maybe a Vaccine!  Hugs to you.........

Jenn - when were you first diagnosed with BC?  I don't see your profile stats.  I am so very sorry.

• lrr4993
    lrr4993 Member Posts: 504
    edited February 2011

Jenn - I am so very sorry to hear that news.  I know there is not much I can do, but if you need anything, feel free to ask.

Lisa 

• jenn3
    edited February 2011

Lovelyface - I was playing with my signature line the other day and must have taken it off in error. My original dx was 6/19/09 - it not even a year since I've finished treatment.  These little cells were on the move........

• Luah
    Luah Member Posts: 626
    edited February 2011

Jenn, I'm so sorry, that just sucks!  Sending you warm thoughts, much strength and unfailing hope for successful treatment.  

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited February 2011

Jenn - I'm so sorry to hear your news.  My thoughts are with you at this time.

Sherri 

• HeidiToo
    HeidiToo Member Posts: 965
    edited March 2011

Oh crap Jenn. That just sucks. It's a hard blow for sure.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited February 2011

Jenn..I'm not very good at words even though I talk alot..but dang..I'm so frustrated and angry right now...I'm sending you a big hug...know that we are with you with this...and hopefully the treatments you have will wipe those mets out...I know you want to get started quickly with this..probably yesterday isn't soon enough for you...it sucks that you have to go through this again so soon..

• cc4npg
    edited February 2011
    Jenn:  I hate hearing this news.  Really hate it.  However, as some others will also say and have said, there are all kinds of treatment to throw at it and kick its butt!  And no, it's definitely not a death sentence.  Just get your docs to move quickly and start treatment to kill off those cells.  Breathe... deep breaths.. take one second at a time if more is too much to handle.  My thoughts are with you.  Keep in mind there are many MANY women who have been down this road and are here to encourage others.. many years later.  We are not statistics.. we are individuals! 
  • lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited February 2011

Jenn3:

I am so very sorry you had to hear what we all were hoping would not be said.  Please, please do not lose faith.  Words are so trite at a time such as this, and any one of us can hear the dreaded news at any time, just know that we will all be with you, every step of the way.

Linda