Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Calling all TNs

Comments

• JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    edited March 2011
    Kyme - Sorry you have to be here with the rest of us.  I had a lump then mastectomy due to unclear margins and one node positive and I was not given the choice for chemo but told it was necessary.  Like some other woman even if I was given the choice I would have done it. I had AC and Taxol and Rads. I did not finish the Taxol (did 7 out of 12) because of neurpathy to my feet but was told that I got enough.  I am 38 and the mother of a 6 year old and would and will do anything possible to make sure that I am around for a long time for him no matter how crappy I felt, hair loss, etc.  It is all worth it in the end to beat this monster.  Good luck with your decision and remember that sometimes the hardest road is the one worth taking Smile
  • JenC
    JenC Member Posts: 186
    edited March 2011

Cleb.  Sorry to hear that you have more lumps and I hope that all the tests go well and it is nothing.  Thoughts and prayers are with you. 

• sugar77
    sugar77 Member Posts: 1,328
    edited March 2011

Hi Kymn, glad to hear you've decided to do the chemo.  I really think that once you are on the other side of the fence, you'll look back and be glad you did it. My daughter turned 10 the day before I had my first treatment.  We were honest with her and tried to keep things at a level that she could understand. She was really a big help and I tried to keep things as normal as possible during treatment. I do think the whole experience made her grow up a bit faster but not in a bad way.  She's so much more responsible now and her grades improved (now all A's and B's from mostly B's and some C's!!).

• Survivor2Be
    Survivor2Be Member Posts: 70
    edited March 2011
    Well, this sucks!  I'm getting admitted for antibiotic therapy and this weekend my parents are coming to town!  What a downer!  Especially cuz I made it through AC with no problems at ALL!!  Frown
  • Kymn
    Kymn Member Posts: 887
    edited March 2011

Thank you ladies, yes it is a big decision but I am confident now that I am making the right one. I have a chemo teaching class today and will find out when I start. I am having some pain in my breast today not sure if it is just the incision still healing in there or what, I will ask when I go in. Do any of you worry everytime you have an ache or pain now? I think I am turning into more of a hypocondriac than I was before lol.

• MBJ
    MBJ Member Posts: 3,671
    edited March 2011

Kymn:  Welcome to the thread and I am glad that you chose chemo, as it is our best defense!  I still have aching and occasional pain in my MX site and I had my MX in April of last year-guess you could call it the new normal.  As everyone said above, you will find a great group of women here and much support.  Hugs!

Michelle:  You are in all of our thoughts today and I hope everything goes smoothly.  Hugs!!!

Survivor:  Noooo!!!  So sorry to hear this!

• Suze35
    Suze35 Member Posts: 559
    edited March 2011

Survivor2Be - I'm sorry you have to go to the hospital, that does suck. I hope all goes well.

Kymn - I sadly welcome you to this group. I think chemo is the right choice. It isn't any fun, but doable, as everyone else has said. As for being a hypochondriac, hah!, I'm the queen! It is another awful side effect of this cancer. I've been told it eases over time...I sure hope so.

I go in for my brain MRI tonight, and have my surgery Monday. I am feeling just so...resigned...I guess is the right word. Is that supposed to be the "acceptance" stage? I don't know what they'll find in my skull, hopefully just a brain, lol, but I am concerned I've had some new tumor growth in my breast. Two weeks ago, I felt nothing but scarring. Now I have some lumps where I didnt before. So, I feel like I'm resigned to bad news, from one doctor or another. I guess this way I won't be disappointed if I'm wrong...

Sorry to be a downer. On a happy note, things are moving quickly so I don't have too much time to worry myself to death :). And I've been able to finally feel good enough to just hang out and enjoy my kids. Small steps!

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

((((((Suze)))))!!!  I will be thinking about you and hoping all is B9.  I am glad your dr's aren't making you wait.  Big hugs!!!

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited March 2011

Hang in there Survivor2Be this too shall pass...

• cc4npg
    cc4npg Member Posts: 438
    edited March 2011
    Andrea:  So sorry to hear you're going to the hospital.  Been there.. done that.. it wasn't fun.  But they have to check everything for possible infection.  I wish you a fast recovery so maybe you can still be at home by the weekend!
  • lindaa
    lindaa Member Posts: 13
    edited March 2011

I will be starting a trial next month of gemcetabine with MK1775 Wee1 inhibitor.  Has anyone heard anything on this?  I think it's like a parp but a different enzyme is being targetted.  I have to be off chemo for 3 weeks so I am very freaked about that.  My disease seems to move so fast.

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2011

welcome Kymn I will add that I think you are doing the right thing with doing chemo.  It is a pain, but the whole time you will know in your gut that you are killing any cancer cells that may be roving... it is a feeling that sort of gave me strength

Good luck Michelle and Survivor I will be thinking of you both.

• tracie23
    tracie23 Member Posts: 214
    edited March 2011

Hi Titan: My mother had breast cancer twice and never had chemo or radation with no drugs for 5yrs. My Aunt had chemo for years and radiation and pills etc... for years her cancer was detected way to late.

• MonikaV
    MonikaV Member Posts: 148
    edited March 2011

Kymm, I am also a mother of two. I turned 40 last September. When we found out that I was ER-, PR- , HER@- my doctor said we needed Chemo. I first had a lumpectomy, but when I found out that I was BRCA + , my doctor suggested Bilateral Mastectomy. I took the advice. I remove breast and Ovaries. Have you done your BRCA test? That might help you to decide.

MBJ: Are you feeling better?

Heidi: Love your cartoons!!!!!

Michelle67: Good luck with Chemo! You can do it!

Laurajane: Nice work!

• Kymn
    Kymn Member Posts: 887
    edited March 2011

HI ladies, no I havent had BCRA is that the genetic testing one? I dont believe here in Canada they do that rountinly and you have to pay for it sigh. But I did get my chemo date march 17. I had chemo class today and cried on and off the whole time. just wanted to pop on and let you know Im just drained right now. talk soon

KYmn

• Babs37
    Babs37 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2011
    Kymn- I live in Quebec and I did get tested for the BRCA gene and I did not have to pay for it.
  • tracie23
    tracie23 Member Posts: 214
    edited March 2011

kymn, Hang in there it is an emotional journey but you are going to be just fine.

• sugar77
    edited March 2011

Kymn - I also live in Canada (Ontario). I did not "qualify" for the genetic testing because I didn't not fit the criteria.  I have no family history plus I'm older than 35, which I recall was the cutoff age without a history. Last year, Luah on this thread sent me a link with the criteria. If I can dig it up, I will send to you as a private message. 

Hi everyone!  I hope you are all having a good evening.

• Titan
    Titan Member Posts: 1,313
    edited March 2011

OMG..you guys are busy!

Suze..good luck to you and hopefully they do just find a brain!  

Michelle..hope your first chemo went well! 

Luah..I think our kids are the same age...my daughter handled it all pretty well...my son..well..I'm not sure how he handled it and I'm still not...I never could get him to visit me during my chemos..my daughter came with me once..we ended up sharing a room with another mom and daughter..and dare I say..we had fun..we talked the whole time..I think it did my daughter good..my parents came once also..I think that they were relieved once they saw that yes..I did have drugs going into my IV but I was talking, eating and watching TV..

Ok..Canadian ladies..my son is going to be in Windsor on Friday and Saturday (spring break) for him..keep an eye on him for me..ok??/

• Titan
    edited March 2011

Kymn..good choice...let us know what your treatments will be..we will be with you..

And hey unclezwife...you have been around awhile haven't you?  Good to "hear" from you..I remember (which is surprising) your posts from a year or so ago.

Do you guys remember Janice?  I wonder what happened to her...

• sugar77
    edited March 2011

Titan - sure I'll keep an eye on him...but it'll have to be at a distance because I live outside Toronto, which is almost three hours away. lol

• Titan
    edited March 2011

Sugar..that's ok...I told him that I have mothers looking after him everywhere he goes..ha ha..I think he is a little nervous..good stuff.

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

Titan:  Awwww-your baby is growing up!!!

• Titan
    edited March 2011

We just told him to not get arrested...I'm glad I only have to worry (alot) for 2 days...he's a good kid..and he is so excited...we didn't let him take a senior trip after high school but I'm finding that now..we really don't have alot of say in what he does..guess he is growing up...

I miss it now that my kids aren't little anymore..it's a HUGE adjustment.

• MBJ
    edited March 2011

Titan:  I can't imagine but it sounds like you are lucky to have such great children!  Congratulations for doing such a great job!

• lrm216
    lrm216 Member Posts: 534
    edited March 2011

Kymn: 

Hang in there, Kymn and know that you made the correct choice.  None of us wanted chemo, but with what we all have, it would have been too frightening not to go that route. 

Suze:  Good luck with the MRI and the surgery - and know that I am wishing you all the best.  God, you've been through the wringer waiting on all this - it's all so unfair.

Andrea:  Been there done that too.  Right after my very first A/C I developed febrile neutropenia and cellulitis (which was horrible!) in my surgical breast.  A tiny little bit of lingering scab fell off leaving a tiny bit of "raw" healing skin which three different docs cleared me for the chemo with it - and whammo!  Spent 6 days in isolation on iv antibiotics and for 6 wks following that every morning to the infusion center for an infusion of different antibiotics due to the breast.  Gawd - it was a horror and delayed my second A/C for two weeks.  Yours should be a lot easier, I'm hoping.  Hang in there, it's for your best what they are doing. 

To everyone else - hope all is well in everyone's little corner of the world!

• mitymuffin
    mitymuffin Member Posts: 242
    edited March 2011
    Suze,  I know you will be relieved to have the MRI and surgery behind you. I hope it goes as quickly and easily as possible.
  • minxie
    minxie Member Posts: 239
    edited March 2011

Suze - hope everything is ok with your MRI. I had a similar experience this summer, constant headaches, particularly behind my ears, then dizziness, loss of balance, then leg tingling... I was convinced I had a tumor in my brain. When I told the symptoms to my oncologist he must have thought so too because he ordered a brain MRI. The results were perfectly clear - I have a brain :) and it was fine.

After that the symptoms dissapated some. I honestly think they were symptoms of panic attacks, now that I'm being treated for PTSD.  I never would have though my mind could do that to me, but it did. Not saying that's the case with you necessarily - but headaches can be from so many different things. Best of luck to you!

• kelben
    kelben Member Posts: 199
    edited March 2011

kymn I am 62 and am having BRCA test done, they are making allowances due to TNeg status.  I live in Ontario, Canada

• sugar77
    edited March 2011

kelben - interesting they are making allowances for you. I'm also from Ontario and I've pushed and asked all my doctors and I've been told over and over again that I don't qualify. I was 45 when I was diagnosed.  Good for you to get it done.