Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Drinking wine after bilateral mastectomy

Options
2»

Comments

• LisaK12
    LisaK12 Member Posts: 18
    Options

I think it's important to remember that there are lots of dietary contributors to cancer. E.g., I recently saw this article about the link between many kinds of deli meats and cancer (including breast cancer). https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/14/well/eat/is-eating-deli-meats-really-that-bad-for-you.html?fallback=0&recId=1Ho7WNOfASoI4QDttMepqHskrYI&locked=0&geoContinent=AF&geoRegion=LP&recAlloc=home&geoCountry=ZA&blockId=home-living-vi&imp_id=452511746&action=click&module=Smarter%20Living&pgtype=Homepage I'm pretty sure there are quite a few people walking around eating smoked turkey sandwiches on a regular basis and thinking they're being healthy who have no idea that it is increasing their cancer risk.

And of course there are other behaviors within our control that can affect our risk as well -- e.g., we all know that exercise reduces our cancer risk.

We get one life, and a limited amount of time to enjoy it. I don't think it's realistic to completely abstain from all known carcinogens -- not to mention the unknown ones.

Wine contributes greatly to my enjoyment of life, so to me it is worth the incremental risk. Pepperoni, not so much. Others may make a different calculation. Everybody has to do what is right for them.

I am happy going to the gym four days a week, but wouldn't be happy going every day, or all day -- the additional reduction in risk is not worth that to me.

And then of course there are all of the genetic factors which are beyond our control. And the possibility of getting hit by a bus...

I want to go out having chosen to enjoy my time on this earth, and for me that means raising my glass with friends and family when I want to -- cheers!

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,257
    Options

Recurrence can happen even if we do everything "right" because taking care of ourselves is just one piece of the puzzle. How aggressive the tumor was, it's genetic make up, your genetic make up, how big, when caught, type of treatment plus how your body responds to the treatment. Too many variables.

I did read one study that indicated women who drink (moderation, of course) have lower mortality. Coincidence? This doesn't mean no recurrence but it may mean if one gets a recurrence, they may fare better.

Cancer is a crapshoot and life is short. For the times we have control and choice, make those that make you happy.