Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

HOW TO MAKE A MICRO BEAD BREAST FORM

Options

Comments

• nagem
    nagem Member Posts: 46
    edited October 2010
    Options
    Photobucket" mce_src="Photobucket" alt="micro-bead breast forms" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="baseline" />
  • nagem
    edited August 2013
    Options
    These are the ones that were made by stuffing an old pair of covers from silicone forms (for some reason I cannot fathom, I can't seem to make the image appear just once). The one on the left is the back side (you can see my hand stitching). The one on the right is the front side (that center protrusion squashes down when you wear it):Photobucket" mce_src="Photobucket" alt="micro-bead breast forms" border="" hspace="" vspace="" width="" height="" align="baseline" />
  • eileen1955
    eileen1955 Member Posts: 31
    edited October 2010
    Options

nagem; this might be a dumb question but why is one form puffier than the other? I'm guessing you only had one mastectomy and you want to have a choice of sizes?

I am going to communicate with the ceo at silique (I already heard from him when I asked for a local Silique fitter. there are none in NJ and NY.)    He needs to know that these forms need to be turned inside out!    Now that I have a pr; I see exactly why you would do that.  for $40 a pop we should not be getting such shoddy worksmanship from Silique.      

and now I see why you ladies are making your own forms; $80 a pr is highway robbery.   I wonder how much my insurance will pay.

I have foam inserts from my post-op surgery bra. I think I'll use those covers over my micro-beads.              One of you ladies needs to get on e-bay and sell your forms!    You would not be a provider of Medicare durable goods though; so clients would not be able to get insurance coverage.        anyway, thanks for brightening up my un-cheery disposition.  these are hug-proof. I tried with my husband and he said they feel real when he hugs me (under my 3 layers of clothing).        I think I'll be doing side-by-side hugs for a while tho; incision is too sore and swollen. 

• nagem
    edited August 2013
    Options

Hi Eileen, I edited the post so it's clearer. I had a bilateral mastectomy. The forms may look slightly different in size, but they're virtually identical. The one on the left is the flat side worn next to your body. It has a hand-stitched center seam where there was a flap opening. The one on the right is the rounder outer-facing side. The protrusion squashes down a bit when you're wearing it in a bra or camisole. Compared with anything else I've tried (and I'm the princess and the pea), these are the most comfortable. They mold to your body and have no hard edges. Now if I could just find the perfect bra or camisole to put them in! Everything rides up on me or has an unpleasant synthetic texture.

• eileen1955
    eileen1955 Member Posts: 31
    edited October 2010
    Options

I have two amoena post-op camis and they hold the breast forms well.    95%cotton 5%spandex.  that is the only thing I can tolerate.     

• nagem
    edited October 2010
    Options

Thank you for the suggestion, but, alas, I have tried Amoena camis, and they hold the form too high. I'm 5'10", so a lot of things that fit others make me look silly or are uncomfortable. Sigh.

• Trudi51
    Trudi51 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    Options

I have been looking at the TLC Micro bead lightweight breast forms and would like to order myself a pair.  Over here we use centimetres but I am thinking these measurements will be inches? So if I want to get B cup size and my chest is 30 inches is that 02 breast forms I would order?

• LindaLou53
    LindaLou53 Member Posts: 60
    edited February 2011
    Options

Hi Trudi51!

Based on the TLC size chart for their microbead forms a size 02 is what they say would best fit a B Cup with 30 inch chest measurement.  Here is their size table:

• Trudi51
    Trudi51 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2011
    Options

Thank you LindaLou, I thought so but wanted to be sure before ordering Smile 

You have been a big inspiration to me, your wardrobe pics for boobless days were of great comfort to me when I first discovered this website, so thank you for that!

• linn2u
    linn2u Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2011
    Options
    Linda, I agree with Erica and think that yours are finished nicely.  I too have one of the Silique ones and I do love it! I am a 4 and it does quite nicely in boh my pocketed and not pocketed bras. But you Ladies have been very inspiring, soooo, I was prowling around in JoAnn's -- they had some remnants of a lovely soft and stretchy velvet in a leopard with rose pattern!  Bingo! I do love some fun and color! So, I bought some of that and some soft very narrow wale cord. in a nice red to match the roses in the print!  And, I also purchased some soft, pretty and lacy yarn to finish this naughty little bean bag!Laughing  I will keep you posted.  Was going to do it today, but lost my nerve when I got my machine out.  Oh, and about the beads, I am going to try the micro-beads in my travel pillow as I am pretty sure they are the same.  And I am going to make another using teenie weenie little glass beads.  I love all of the suggestions and this topic has been one I have been thinking about for a long time!  Oh, and have any of you seen Beryl's knitted titties?  They are great as well.  Who is it that is the master of invention --- necessity?? Sealed  Thanks, Linda Drew
  • river_rat
    river_rat Member Posts: 317
    edited February 2011
    Options

LindaLou, thank you for your wonderfully thought out and detailed instructions....now if I just get up the nerve to mess with those little balls.  I think I'll have to wait for warm weather and try it outside, just can't see any good coming of me trying it inside.

linn2u, that does sound like fun.  I think when I do finally get around to trying this I'm going to have to look into some special fabrics too.  Smile 

• MRSROCKYTOP55
    MRSROCKYTOP55 Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2011
    Options

What a wonderful idea.  I am a missionary here in Costa Rica and while receiving treatment here saw first hand the need for items such as bras, prosthesis, scarves, wigs etc.  If anyone would like to send me front and back pattern sets in different sizes, I could make these and donate to the hospital.  When we come back to the states for a visit I bring back as many donated items that ladies no longer need as I can get, but this would give me the opportunity to make and supply them all year long.  I have friends coming in July and could have them bring me the beads.  I have a sewing machine that I use for making scarves.  Again what a wonderful idea.  If you would like to donate patterns or even some of the prosthesis please PM me or let me know here.  Blessings, Kathy

• CarylC
    CarylC Member Posts: 30
    edited April 2011
    Options

I ordered a set from TLC off of that chart and found them way too big!  I was trying to downsize, pre-mastectomy I was a 34D so I ordered a size 4 for a 34B but they seem huge!  Even my DD said, you look just like you used to look.  I'm sending them back and going smaller.  I just want a gentle suggestion of breasts that are larger than my ribcage.  I wish I had a sewing machine to try a DIY set!

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited April 2011
    Options

CarylC,

I had the same experience with the TLC forms, which are made by Silique. Even the size 3 was too big for me, so I tried a size 2. Those felt too small! But one of those sizes might work for you -- we're all built so differently. Like you, I wish I had a sewing machine (and some talent!)...

• Kezzie62
    Kezzie62 Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2011
    Options

I just made my first pair of microbead forms... I did not have any microbead forms to copy so I used my silicone forms to make the template.  I followed the instructions above and found it very easy to do.  I could not find anywhere that sold the Microbeads but the lady at the fabric shop sugested I go to bed, bath & beyond and buy a cheap travel pillow that is filled with microbeads.  This was a wonderful idea and I got a pillow for $4.00 and I think I will get about another 8 size 9 forms from whats left.

I am so proud of myself...

Kezzie

• LindaLou53
    edited May 2011
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS Kezzie!  You should be proud!   I'm glad you were able to find the microbeads.  That was a great suggestion to try the travel pillows.  I have a few of those at home but haven't cut into them yet since I can get the microbeads from my local Joanns Fabric store. I hope the forms work well for you.  You can have fun and make several different pairs in different sizes if you like!  I found it gets a little easier after you make your first pair.  Those microbeads go a long way so you should be set for forms for awhile.  Smile
  • 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited May 2011
    Options

bump... 3jays  maybe i'll try it tommorrow

• bethhg
    bethhg Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2011
    Options

I don't own a sewing machine, but I may just try to make these by hand sewing.  I find the silicone forms too heavy sometimes, and the form forms are both too light and too hard.  Great idea!

• 3jaysmom
    edited June 2011
    Options

bump i haven't been able to find micro beads yet. Joanns doesn't have them anymore, except online...soon     3jays

• DesignerMom
    DesignerMom Member Posts: 730
    edited June 2011
    Options

Linda Lou-  Brilliant!  This is a wonderful, incredibly clear tutorial.  I know a lot of women will benefit from this.  I had an idea that may or may not work to help "wrangle" those little pesky beads. Maybe if you initially use a cup to dip the beads out of the big bag into a heavy duty freezer ziploc bag.  Then zip it closed, cut one of the corners off and "pour" the beads into your form?  Kind of like a cake icing bag?  Worth a try!

Apple-  What the heck is floam??  I have a 12 YO.  Am I going to regret making this with him?

• sharalou
    sharalou Member Posts: 16
    edited July 2011
    Options

Hi. Are these good for swimsuits? Would anyone be interested in making them for me, and I will gladly pay? Someone made them for me a whilte back, and I have no idea where I put them.  Thanks in advance. Name the price, and I will gladly pay.  Have not put a suit on, cause only have one prothesis ($150), and recently had rt. mastectomy (lt in 2005).

Shari 

• goldiebelle
    goldiebelle Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2011
    Options

I sent you a pm sharalou

• 3jaysmom
    edited August 2011
    Options
    bump..3jays
  • shippy41
    shippy41 Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2011
    Options

i am not good at sewing but would like to try this however i have  a few questions:

Has anyone tried this by hand ( i dont have a machine) how  did it go?

I wonder if i can use an old towel as the material for the outside part of the form?

Has anyone tried putting the beads into an old nylon knee high and then putting that into the shell that you sew? 

Does anyone know of an easy crochet pattern to make a form with?

Many of the folks on this board have recommended buying a cami at target with the extra shelf to use with a prosthetic. However, how do i convert the cami's  to accept a form. The extra shelf opens down so i know i need to sew it closed but am not sure where to put an opening so that the form can fit but not fall out. anyone know how to fix this?  thanks!!!!

• goldiebelle
    edited August 2011
    Options

Shippy

I sent you a PM

• goldiebelle
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi ladies

I have a friend that makes microbeads breast forms. I do not want to get in trouble on the board for advertising so PM me if you are interested. Her forms are 24.00 a pair shipped

• sewingnut
    sewingnut Member Posts: 475
    edited August 2011
    Options

THese are great instructions.  I used the fiber puff that came in my surgery camisole and stuffed it with a bag of plastic stuffing pellets I got from Pat Catan's. They came in a little bag and stuffed easily.  I am interested in using the polystyrene pellets.  They look like they would be more natural and a little softer. I made my own after a local MX fitter couldn't find a comfortable one for me.

I also made pockets in my pre surgery bras.  All of the MX bras rubbed on  my port, OUCH. The tutorial on how to make a bra pocket was also great.  The Mods should put them together in a forum so they are easy to find.

• shippy41
    edited August 2011
    Options

hi do any of you sewing angels know the answer to my question about the target cami's i.e what is so useful about the built in shelf how do i convert it to accept a form??? thanks

• LindaLou53
    edited August 2011
    Options

Shippy I have not shopped for the Target camis for over a year now, but the ones they used to sell had small removable breast pads already in them presumeably for "nipple coverage".  The reason those camis worked so well for the micro bead forms was they already had a bra pocket built into them.  You would just removed the pads that came with the cami and then insert your own forms.  Sometimes the side opening into the bra pocket had to be snipped to make it a little larger so it was easier to get the breast forms in.

If you are shopping for camis, try to find the ones that already have removable inserts and bra pockets.  The camis with just a "shelf bra" that have the elastic on the inside can be adapted to fit a prosthesis but will take a little sewing.  You can see a pic of one I converted last year here on this thread: 

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/82/topic/753209?page=3#post_1921049

• shippy41
    edited August 2011
    Options

do you have any advice on how to convert the cami's with a built in shelf to accomodate a form., ie. how to sew it ( i only can do by hand no machine) thankks