Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

HOW TO MAKE A MICRO BEAD BREAST FORM

Options

Comments

• BoobsinaBox
    BoobsinaBox Member Posts: 77
    edited July 2010
    Options

Linda,

I had wondered about turning the seams inside, but I was afraid the closing seam might not keep the beads in.  Thanks for proving it could be done.  I really like these forms, and when I get my sewing room back, I'm going to make my own.  Thanks again for being the pioneer for all of us!

Dawn 

• Unknown
    edited July 2010
    Options

Amazing idea!!  Nice work!  I also saw your pics on the breastfree.org website; I'm just recovering from a R side lumpectomy, but it was centrally located so basically the nip and surrounding tissue were removed, and my skin was sutured in sort of a drawstring fashion to close the top.  My doc has mentioned a reduction of the L breast to match, but I may delay that surgery for awhile while I lose a significant amount of weight.  These microbead forms would be perfect to fill me in during the interim.  Thanks!

• Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 237
    edited July 2010
    Options

Linda,

Turning the fabric inside out once stitched is a great idea! My one objection to the TLC (Silique) form is that the seams show in some bras.

Barbara

• sher
    sher Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hi LindaLou,

You did such a great job making your microbead forms that I'm hoping you might have suggestions or ideas on how I can minimize my purchased too large microbead forms.  Do you think I could open a small area of the seam and squish out some beads and then resew without too much of a disaster?  I'm also thinking how to get the right amount measured out?

• LindaLou53
    LindaLou53 Member Posts: 60
    edited August 2010
    Options

Hmm.....Sher I'm not sure how easy a project that would be.  You could try it but be prepared for some frustration. 

Now just a comment first....if your purchased microbead forms are still fairly new and you just tried them on for size, you may be able to return them to TLC for a smaller size.  I would certainly start there first if there is a chance they would accept returns.  I think someone else wrote that they returned the wrong size for exchange without any problems. 

The other thing you could try is a different bra that has slightly larger cups than the one you tried the forms in.  With these forms if the cup size is small the forms will project more and seem larger.  If you wear them in a wider more roomy cup, the forms will tend to flatten out some and may not seem so big to you.  Just a thought.....if you have already tried the forms in a variety of different bras and they still seem too big to you then, they are probably too big.... Frown

Ok..well after thinking about it some here is what I might try.  You would need to hold one corner of the form and shake it to get all the beads to settle in the bottom.Then find some way to clamp the form to keep the beads away from the seam you want to open up.  You could try a rubber band or maybe one of those plastic clips used to keep an open bag of chips fresh. Just make sure it doesn't damage the form lining.

You can then carefully use a seam ripper or sharp pair of embroidery scissors to snip a few threads in the seam but be careful not to tear any holes in that thin stretchy fabric that covers the front of the form.  Start with just a really tiny opening (1/4 to 1/2 inch approx) in the seam.   You may have some microbeads floating around that were clinging to the sides of the lining.  

At this point I would try taking a plastic straw (one of the wider ones if you have it), cut it to about 2-3 inches long and insert it into the opening.  Tie a rubber band around the straw to keep the form lining sealed around it.  If you want to try to contain the beads you are removing, you could try tying a little plastic baggy around the other end of the straw with another rubber band.  Otherwise just plan on dropping the beads into a waste can or better yet outdoors where they will just blow away. 

Release the clamp on the lower part of the form, and gently turn the form upside down.  Apply pressure to see if the beads will start coming out through the straw.  You may have to keep a gentle pressure on the form or use a slight "milking" action by pressing and releasing to get the beads to start moving out the straw.

As to knowing how much to remove it really would just be guess work.  I used a digital kitchen scale to weigh my forms that I purchased and then just tried to get the same weight on the forms that I made.  There is very little difference in weight between the sizes.  My sz 8 forms weigh about 0.85 ounce each.  My sz 7 forms weigh about 0.75 ounce each....so not a lot of difference.  You will just need to make a judgement call based on the shape and fullness of the form after you have removed some beads.  If you think you removed enough then just upright the form, shake it down again to keep the beads at the bottom, reapply the clamp to the middle of the form, then remove the straw and stitch up the opening.  Make sure the seam is thoroughly stitched with small stitches and that any tiny holes in the lining are above your stitch line so that no beads can escape later.

That is how I would try it at least....not sure it will work though..Surprised

Let us know how it goes!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited August 2010
    Options

I love this. Great tutorial

• sher
    sher Member Posts: 76
    edited August 2010
    Options

Well, I've spent some time debating on whether or not to tackle the Micro-Beads!  (Unfortunately, I've tried on the forms several times, washed them and tossed the packaging, so wouldn't be able to return them.)   I think my issue with the forms might be the excess tissue left after my mastectomy, which makes forms project more than I would like.  But, I've decided to see a PS for revision, so will hang on to the Micro-Bead forms for now..............might like them better afterwards.  Smile

Thanks LindaLou, for your excellent advice and your willingness to share.   It's appreciated so much!

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    edited August 2010
    Options

Sher - I'd rather reduce the size of the micro bead form than have another surgery to reduce the size of me!. There has to be a way either to buy a smaller form or to reduce the size of the one you have. I use the knitted foob and fill it to the desired size - using a nylon stocking sewed to shape as a liner to keep the beads contained . That fits well over the lumpiness in my scar area. So far no one has stopped to point and laugh at me or to say that I am uneven - and the thing is relatvely comfortable. Just my experience.

• Erica
    edited August 2010
    Options

Sher, I don't have any excess tissue whatsoever, but the Silique Microbead forms (they make the TLC forms) project more than I'd like, too. I'm small and initially ordered a size 3, then down-sized to a size 2, yet still feel they sit funny on my chest. I enjoy the lightness and softness of them, but haven't yet found a bra that works with them for me.

• nagem
    nagem Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2010
    Options

This cross-dressing site has some amusing solutions: http://www.blooberry.com/bformfaq/miscmakeown.html

• binney4
    binney4 Member Posts: 1,466
    edited October 2010
    Options

Good morning, all!

I'm off to JoAnn's this morning for the microbeads (got the vacuum out and ready!), so thought I'd bump this since it's so inspiring. Thanks, LindaLou!

Be well!
    Binney

• nagem
    edited October 2010
    Options

One down, and tomorrow I'll fill the other. The one that's finished looks and feels pretty good, but after seeing the snowstorm that resulted as I filled it outside, I worry about what would happen if it started to leak. That never happens, right? I just keep thinking I should have made a liner of some kind. Too late now. But maybe for my next pair? What do you think, Linda Lou? Do you line yours?

• LindaLou53
    edited October 2010
    Options

Hi Nagem.  Congrats on making your breast form!  I know its hard to believe that those tiny little microbeads won't work their way out but if you use small stitches and do 2-3 rows of stitching on the seams I don't think you need to worry.  I was even concerned about the light stretchy fabric I use on the front of the forms and thought the beads might try to squeeze through the fabric itself, but after wearing and washing my forms for several months now I have never had a problem. 

The fabric I use on the fronts of the forms is a very lightweight, stretchy swimsuit liner material that I picked up in the remnant pile at the fabric store this past summer.  I make sure the back fabric is a dense woven fabric to keep the shape of the form.  I try to use a smaller size needle designed for lingerie or thin fabrics so I'm not punching huge holes as I sew.  Other than that I just stitch the seams 3 times with rows of small straight stitches right next to each other and then I use my serger to trim the excess seam and do a final overstitch for good measure. 

Once I turn the form through the 2 inch opening so the seams are on the inside, I can fill it up with beads.  To me that is the hardest part of the whole process.  Once I have the right amount of beads in the form I pin the opening closed with some straight pins until I can get it back into the house to my sewing machine. The tricky part is trying to shake the beads down away from the opening so I can stick it under the presser foot and stitch the opening closed.  It doesn't always look pretty, but I stitch it back and forth several times to make sure it is tightly sealed.

Just make sure you closely inspect the whole sewn edges of your form before you turn it.  After you fill it with beads and topstitch the small opening, inspect it again by putting pressure on the form and pushing the beads towards the seams.  Make sure you don't see any gaps or loose stitches anywhere.  I have never done a lining because I was afraid the lining material would bunch up or not lie smoothly inside the outer form, causing ridges or bumps that would not look good through some tops.

I can tell you that I have been wearing my home made forms inside the popular Coobie Bras and I throw the whole thing in the washing machine.  I remove the straps from the Coobie Bra but leave the forms inside the pockets and throw them in a lingerie bag on gentle cycle in the washer.  I also toss the lingerie bag in the dryer with the other clothes and they come out just fine.  The forms plump right up when dried and I have never yet had a leak.

Here are pics of my most recent forms:  

You can see where I stitched the opening closed several times.  So far so good!

Smile

P.S. Binney hope you have good luck with your forms too!  Let us know how it goes.

• lassie11
    edited October 2010
    Options

I use material from a (new) pair of nylon stockings as a liner within my knit forms. That seems to hold things very well.

• Erica
    edited October 2010
    Options

Those really look great, Linda -- better than the TLC (Silique) forms, I think, because the edges are so nice and smooth.

Barbara

• nagem
    edited August 2013
    Options

Well, since I'm using an old pair of covers from silicone forms, I've got a three-inch seam down the middle of the flat side that i'm hand-stitching (twice). Hope it holds! Don't think I'll risk the washing machine though. 

P.S. When you use the word "serger," I know we inhabit different worlds of skill and experience ... 

• Erica
    edited October 2010
    Options

nagem,

What a brilliant idea to use form covers. Great concept for sewing-challenged people like me. Please let us know how it works out.

• eileen1955
    eileen1955 Member Posts: 31
    edited October 2010
    Options

This is wonderful!  Even tho I would never actually sew a form myself, it's just to "calming" to see pix of it being together like a work of art.    I just had a dble mastectomy last week so I am in the throes of feeling "ugly" and somewhat "alen".  those are just the words to describe how I feel.

But then I see these fotos like someone is putting together a wedding dress.  It so affected my mindset and I wanted to express my gratitude.

I have an amoena post-op camisole that I bought. It had velcro pockets for the drains and it was something to wear when company came.    But this is a very short-term solution I know.  It does not at all conform to my chest wall; which is changing every day anyway.       I know this talk belongs on erica's website so I'll go there.      I hope other companies come out with these mirobead forms.         After a double mastectomy, I have no need for weighted prosthetics.  eileen   

• nagem
    edited August 2013
    Options

Using the covers from a pair of silicone breast forms makes a pretty neat result. I had to hand-stitch a center seam to close the flap on the flat side, and even though I made tiny, tiny stitches and went over it twice, I'm a little worried that the beads might leak. So I'm waiting for the weekend to do a test run. One thing that cannot be emphasized enough: those microbeads are minuscule, smaller than grains of sand. And they fly everywhere and stick to everything, no matter how careful you are. I pre-stitched the seam to within a half-inch of the end and inserted a funnel tip into the opening. My husband and I filled them outside on a windless day and then hosed down the deck. I hate to think of the effect on the environment. But I'm still thinking I might want to try making a pair out of an old T-shirt. I'll post pix when I get home tonight (shhh, don't tell anyone I'm writing this from work) ...

... I can't seem to figure out how to post a photo, alas. 

• nagem
    edited August 2013
    Options
    Microbead forms, front and back
  • Onetoughwoman47
    Onetoughwoman47 Member Posts: 132
    edited October 2010
    Options

Excellent IDEA!  I am a quilter and sew'r...because of the removal of my right breast (3rd time) and rejection to sutures and infection I am nearing the date to have right breast replaced.  I have silicone in left one in the meantime, I used a small nerf ball and cut it in half to fill my bra, I was left with a small "a" cup mostly towards the center of my clevage, the nerf fills up the other half making my clothes fit and look better....I thought of your idea a while back, but opted to go simple then, not knowing that I'd be almost a year without my right breast...huh, who knew...thanks for sharing!  S.

• DiDiT
    DiDiT Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2010
    Options

Excellent tutorial!!!  You should go on you tube!!!

Thanks for sharing!!! 

• Laurie_R
    Laurie_R Member Posts: 54
    edited October 2010
    Options

Useing this design, has anyone tried putting a bit of micro fiber fill(like for pillows) in first then adding the micro beads for a swim form.  The micro fiber would give it a bit more weight so it wouldn't float as easily.

• loonlover
    loonlover Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    Options

LindaLou, do you know what the difference in size is between a size 7 and 8 in the microbead forms? I want to try to make some (had a BLM so need 2). The ones I have are size 8 but I'd like to make the new ones a little smaller. I could trace the ones I have and cut the pattern down if I knew what the difference was.

• LindaLou53
    edited October 2010
    Options

loonlover:  I have both the size 7 and 8 TLC forms which I used as my templates for making my own.  The only difference between the two is the amount of microbeads used.  The size of the form backs is the same.  My size 7 forms weigh 0.70 - 0.75 ounces and the size 8 forms weigh 0.80 - 0.85 ounces.  I know that doesn't sound like much difference but the more microbeads the fuller the look of the forms.

Now if you start going down to the much smaller sizes like 2 or 3 I believe the actual form dimensions ie. length and width  will be smaller also but I don't have any of the TLC forms in those sizes to compare to.

In your case I don't believe you need to cut your pattern down from a size 8 to a size 7.....just add less micro beads.  Also if your current size 8 forms seem too big, try wearing them in a larger cup bra and see if that makes them seem smaller.  The smaller the cup that you insert the forms into the more projection and larger the forms will appear in clothing.  If you put the forms in a loose or larger cup they tend to spread out and not project forward as much.  You can manipulate your final result in clothing a lot just by changing the shape/size bra cups you put them in.

• lassie11
    edited October 2010
    Options

Yes - I have some knitted forms with quilt like batting - very light and comfortable to wear especially right after surgery. They don't have quite the same movement as the beaded ones.

• eileen1955
    edited October 2010
    Options

You ladies are so talented! I don't sew. I did order two of the micro-bead forms. 

My OT (post-mastectomy 2 wks 3days) said that microbead forms are used on scars on hands for healing.   tiny little micro-beads wrapped in cloth.        So the two of us are eager to see how mine will hopefully help.       She said less adhesions will form if my incisoins are massaged.

right now I'm so sore and swollen that I'm not ready. But you ladies help me visualize myself down the road.        thanks! 

• loonlover
    loonlover Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2010
    Options

Eileen, do try the microbead forms. I'm six week along from my BLM and that extra three or four weeks makes a big difference in how your scars will feel. Mine still look awful, but the forms don't bother them at all. And maybe the gentle "massage" of the beads will help too. I just started wearing them this week, so can't say for sure that it will, but they are very comfortable and much more "natural" feeling than the fiber-filled ones I had right at first.

• eileen1955
    edited October 2010
    Options

they just arrived. size 7 is smaller than I thought but that's ok; will try them out.  so soft and light and smooth!

• nagem
    edited October 2010
    Options

Update from an amateur: I'm still trying to make a perfect pair of micro-bead breast forms, not because imperfections show through clothes but because I'm a perfectionist. I sewed my latest forms last night and wanted to fill them today, but it was a little breezy outside. So I took all my supplies--bag of beads, pins, needle, thread, funnel--into the bathtub, sealed the edges of the shower curtain snugly to the tiles, and filled the forms in the tub. Many, many beads escaped, but they were contained by the enclosure and the cleanup consisted of turning on the shower.