Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex and dequervains tendonitis

Options
2»

Comments

• dianaleo
    dianaleo Member Posts: 18
    edited February 2012
    Options

I read good things about the tumeric, but I also just read that if you are on xeloda which I am not to have tumeric.  It all gets so confusing.

• beau
    beau Member Posts: 149
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi All,

Just want to add another possible item to try for tendonitis as well as general stiffness, I decided to add 1 claratin a day to my daily regimen (also take Vit D, Calcium, omega 3, B6, 1 NSAID and 1 diazapam at night) and it has really helped. My general stiffness in the joints is way down (not gone, but definitely noticeable improvement ) and the swelling that I was experiencing near my thumb joint and wrist has gone down. 

Has anyone else tried this?

Best, Beau 

• betsb
    betsb Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi everyone - I first posted my problem with DeQuervain's back in Jan 2011.  It took a long time, but I had 2 surgeries - one on each wrist.  What a relief from the pain.  I had the second surgery in August 2011.  I was fine for a few months, but then my hands started hurting again.  The hand surgeon then gave me a shot at the base of the left thumb and again I was okay for a about 3 months.  Now, I'm having hand problems, again.  I will try the turmeric.  I wasn't sure how much people were taking.  I hope someone can get back to me with the quantity that seems to work.

• gentianviolet
    gentianviolet Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2012
    Options

betsb - I developed tendonitis while on Arimidex, however it was in my ankle.  It was so bad that I limped for months.  I finally was put on tamoxifen and the pain diminished somewhat but never went away.  Most days I only limped a little but some days were much worse.  I eventually read a post of a woman that tried 200 mg/day of B6.  I tried it and, much to my surprise, by the time 5 to 6 weeks had past it was totally gone.  I am a jeweler and had some minor problems with CTS in my right hand......that too disappeared.  Perhaps you could try this after talking with your oncologist.  Good luck, I know how depressing the pain can be.

• beau
    beau Member Posts: 149
    edited March 2012
    Options

Hi Gentleviolet,

Thanks for mentioning B6. I was on it when I went through chemo and I think that it definitely helped then for neuropathy. I started taking it again along with adding claratin and I really notice a difference. Not sure if it is combo or not, but I am keeping up both for now.Best Beau 

• pearl71
    pearl71 Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2012
    Options

I also have dequervain's tendonitis and have been on Aromasin for about 2 and a half years,I have had 2 cortisone injections and hope they will help,had no.2 yesterday so waiting for result

• Albiongirl
    Albiongirl Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi, I know this is an old topic but wanted to post my experience. I was diagnosed November 2008 and took Arimidex for 6 months until the joint pain became too bad to cope with and then took Tamoxifen for 4 years, then tried Aromasin for 6 months. It was the worst of the lot. I was diagnosed with De Quarvains tenosinivitis in April 2013 in the right hand and then in the left hand approx 2 months later. I stopped taking Aromasin in June 2013. I wore 2 hard hand splints for approx 3 months, night and day and had a cortisone injection in my left hand which was giving me the worst pain.(I am right handed). This did not work at all so I had surgery in March 2014 on the left hand and a cortisone injection on the right hand whilst under anaesthetic. The surgery has helped with the left hand pain wise but I have no strength in that hand and cannot carry anything slightly heavy. So far the injection has helped with the right hand. In September 2014 I was diagnosed with tennis elbow in my right arm and have considerable pain in my right shoulder and neck and shoulder blade. I have asked my GP why I am having so much trouble with tendons but he just says I am unlucky. I am sure that is a side effect from the Aromasin. 

• ksue2
    ksue2 Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2014
    Options

Hi, this is my first time posting. I have been on Arimidex for 2 1/2 years. I also have fibromyalgia. Because of the fibromyalgia I was never sure if I was getting problems from that or the Arimidex. I have a lot of joint pain in my thumbs, hands, knees,etc. I just decided to stop talking the Arimidex to see if it helps any. I was horribly stiff when I would get up in the morning esp my ankles and knees which seems to have gotten better. I think it might be helping my other joint pain also. I also have night sweats which wakes me up constantly and I get hot flashes during the day. I just wonder how important it is to stay on the Arimidex if the quality of your life is affected so badly. I am only taking about myself as I am 70 years old and am also dealing with the fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis. 

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700
    edited October 2014
    Options

ksue2,

Ask your MO to switch you to Aromasin or Femera.  I'm on the former and my aches and pains are now minimal after 2 1/2 years.  Some women do better on a different AI.  Usually you take a month or so break then start the 2nd drug.  This helps to determine what SE the new drug is causing.  

• angelica74
    angelica74 Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2021
    Options

I know your post is about 7 months old but I'm also on Arimidex and have the same problem as you with the wrist/thumb pain. I know it's de quervain syndrome but the bump on my wrist concerns me. Ive never heard of breast cancer spreading to the bone in your wrist but as a fellow breast cancer survivor I'm sure you understand how the mind can overthink things. I'm just wanting to know if your bump was hard? My bump is like the size of a pea and it's on my normal bone bump on the inside of my wrist.

• Sukiann
    Sukiann Member Posts: 88
    edited January 2021
    Options

Angelica74,

This post is originally over 10 years old! But I can answer your question, yes, exactly like you’re saying. A pea sized bump on the inside of my wrist that was painful and as I remember hard. The cortisone shot did the trick. Don’t jump to conclusions that it’s cancer (I know we all tend to do this - it’s scary for sure). Best of luck to you,

• Polly_Ester
    Polly_Ester Member Posts: 6
    edited January 2021
    Options

This is weird but I have the same thing.

• buttonsmachine
    buttonsmachine Member Posts: 339
    edited January 2021
    Options

It's a well known problem with Aromatase Inhibitors, unfortunately. I had to switch to Faslodex because of it.

Here are a few other threads about it. Best of luck!

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78/topics...

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/78/topics...