Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Arimidex - Coping with the SE's

Options

Comments

• MarieK
    MarieK Member Posts: 467
    Options

I have had a similar experience to smurfette26.

Switched to name brand arimidex and side effects were lessened.

I still have aches and pains in hands and feet when I first wake up but that diminishes with movement.

Constant headache is pretty much gone but weight gain and insomnia are still problems.

In addition I get weird breast sensation on my natural side since going on AI. Sometimes it's just achey and other times it's like a burning sensation. I have had it checked out and all is clear.

Regardless of these SEs I'll keep taking it for as long as it is working for me.

• guardian_devil
    guardian_devil Member Posts: 1
    Options

Hi 509337! I received a medical marijuana card with my cancer diagnosis and I am a firm believer in it's abilities to ease discomfort. It got me through chemo by helping with my nausea and the bone pain from Neulasta shots better than any of the prescription meds. I'm one year out from chemo but now dealing with nasty neuropathy along with joint pain from Exemestane. (Also developing numbness and trigger finger...hooray!) It really helps as an analgesic. You don't have to smoke it; you can get tinctures or edibles. If you do go this route (legally, please) ask the dispensary for strains that are specific for pain management. These really won't get you "high". It can also help you sleep. In states with medical marijuana legalization, you are pretty much a shoe-in for getting a card with a cancer diagnosis. I honestly wish I wasn't a "shoe-in", but having access to marijuana has really been helpful in managing my pain. I plan on using it indefinitely.

509337 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Guardian Devil,

Thank you for sharing your experience. Since I have been considering stopping Arimidex, I will definitely give it a try.

Pa

• Losiannie8
    Losiannie8 Member Posts: 1
    Options

Has anyone experienced a bad rash from anastrozole? I developed an extremely itchy rash six weeks ago. Started at my ankles then went up my legs. My oncologist held off on my herceptin for 3 weeks but the rash did not go away. Then they took away the anastrozole and gave me herceptin again. Two weeks after receiving the herceptin the rash flared up this time on my upper body. Six weeks later I still have the rash although it is starting to subside. Now they took away herceptin again for 3 weeks, so I am not taking anything at this time. Oncologist doesn't think the drugs are the cause of my rash but I don't believe it.

Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!

• brutersmom
    brutersmom Member Posts: 886
    Options

Just had my annual blood work and got my results. It seems my white count has dropped just below acceptable numbers. I can see my history on line and it has always been between 5.6 to 6.8 the range is 4.8 to 10.8 10/e3/ul. This time it has dropped to 4.7. Nothing else was outside of the guidelines. I notice that a low white count is listing as a rare side effect on aromatase inhibitors. Has anyone ever else experienced this. I see my family Doc in two weeks. I will probably reach out to the oncologist as well. Not panicking because it it just below the bottom number but I am concerned. I find it helpful to be armed with knowledge when discussing this with my docs.

• doxie
    doxie Member Posts: 700
    Options

Losiannie8,

Missed your post until now. It can be really hard to tease out what is causing a rash. It might help to go to a dermatologist or allergist, especially if you have a lot more herceptin to go.

I've had many such rashes and hives over the years. It can take me months to figure out the cause sometimes, but over the years I've gotten better at figuring it out. I've used googling the better medical sites to advantage, but this isn't for everyone.

If you can't get the help of a dermatologist or allergist, then keep a log of everything you eat, put on your body and med you take. This may help you tease out the problem.

• Sophiee
    Sophiee Member Posts: 10
    Options

Brutersmom my white blood cell count is down also. I go back next week to have it repeated. I have been taking Anastrozole for 6 months. My doctor didn't mention it could be from the Anastrozole but I saw that its a side effect too.

• brutersmom
    Options

Sophiee, please let me know which way your count goes. I am hoping my medical doc will redo the test to monitor.

• Sophiee
    Options

I will Brutersmom and please let me know what your doc says too. I go Tuesday.

• brutersmom
    Options

Sophiee, I see my medical doc on 10/17. I am hoping he reorders blood work. MO won'd do anything until I start having problems.

• Cutiekool
    Cutiekool Member Posts: 2
    Options

hello ladies.. my Question is what %does arimedix reduce my chances of my b/c coming back

• Jennie93
    Jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    Options

Cutie, I was told, it cuts the risk in half.

• OvercomingOne
    OvercomingOne Member Posts: 160
    Options

hey y'all! I too suffer with Arimidex! It is terrible but tolerable. Anyone get monthly PMS symptoms? I am post menepausal and get monthly headaches on arimidex. Just hope this dang pill works!!

• Sophiee
    Options

Brutersmom my white blood cell count is within normal range. Don't know why it dropped, i'm just happy it went back up! Keep me posted about yours.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 830
    Options

Anyone having issues gaining weight? I am about 20lbs heavier since my diagnosis and I've maintained my weight (not gained) since January by going to the gym at least 3 days a week and getting on a machine to sweat and get my heart rate up. My MO says Arimidex can cause you to gain weight. I'm wondering if I go on some sort of plan like Jenny Craig or something like it, I can lose weight then maintain with my exercise program. Any ideas?

• BlessedOne2
    BlessedOne2 Member Posts: 17
    Options

Hello Everybody,  I started out on Arimidex in 2010 and have been on anastrozole for about 4 of the 6 years.  Night sweats, occasional hot flashes, mild headache almost nightly upon lying down, tingling feet upon rising (nothing serious, just takes a minute to get going), and insomnia(toss/turn almost daily but not tired during the day, thank goodness).  There are others like the occasional weird pain on either side.   Recently, I've noticed with the foot tingling is occurring during the day and there is some light swelling in the same foot.  Has anyone experienced swelling?    P.S.  I'm undecided if I will complete a full 10 year regimen.  Thoughts and experiences welcomed. 

• tobyholic
    tobyholic Member Posts: 53
    Options

I desperately need some advice or help. I have been on Arimidex for 2 years and have already gained 20 pounds. At this rate, I'll gain another 80 pounds until I'm finished taking the drug. I am literally crying because I'm so upset. I exercise every day, eat healthy and still can't lose weight

• WndrWoman
    WndrWoman Member Posts: 11
    Options

Hi, Deb, Weight has long been an issue for me, before cancer and Arimidex/Anastrozole. I did hear a nutritionist say that if you plateau or are stuck to try having no carbs in the evening for a week. So dinner should have protein and lots of veggies/salad but no potato, rice, pasta, bread or even fruit at that time of day. Somehow it can kickstart weight loss. Have the carbs in moderation earlier in the day. Not sure if it works. Just passing along a suggestion.

• Jennie93
    Jennie93 Member Posts: 263
    Options

tobyholic, I gained 40 pounds on tamoxifen and have not been able to lose any (but not gaining more) on anastrazole. I do everything "right", track food, exercise, all that. I was never fat in all my 50 years before this. It just sucks, big time.

• iamnancy
    iamnancy Member Posts: 641
    Options

I haven't been able to lose any weight since being on this pill - its crazy... my doctor said, oh some people gain maybe 5 lbs but that's all - yeah, right! I have at least 40 pounds to lose... so disgusted!

• tobyholic
    Options

Thanks WndrWoman......I will definitely try that. I am desperate for any suggestions.

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    Options

Tips on carbs absolutely correct. I've been on arimidex almost 8 years and had gained 30 lbs. In November 2013 I was at 202 lbs. Cut all carbs for at least 6 weeks, only eat them very sparingly ever since. Joined a gym and lost 40 lbs which I have kept off now for 3 years. I do exercise 5-6 days a week (but I'm retired so easier for me!). It's not easy because you have to be more motivated with action not words and it will take time. Don't think of it as a "diet" or "exercise" but as developing a healthy lifestyle because your life depends on it. Good luck.

• NY2TXbaby
    NY2TXbaby Member Posts: 113
    Options

thanks patoo tiff and Kirchman. Prior to diagnosis I have started reducing carbs and illuminating sugar from my diet and lost 45 pounds. Then was hit with my BC diagnosis. Kept most of the weight off all three treatment but since being on Arimidex (now switched to Aromisin), I have put on 25 of those 45 pounds. Some of it is due to the stress of moving and being now around family more, hence eating at four. But I do find that I have to limit my carbs significantly and eliminate all sugars to lose weight. I actually lost the 45 pounds without doing any exercising. But I've now since tried to add walking to my daily routine because I know it is so important for good bone health. hope to add a little strength training for bone health. Good luck to everybody fighting this awful disease and those with weight challenges. Hugs to everyone, Cndy

• serenitywisdom
    serenitywisdom Member Posts: 109
    Options

Hi everyone,

I have not posted in quite a long time but since my doctor just took me off exemestane, after being on it for almost 5 years, I found I had a few questions that maybe someone knows about. Did anyone find they lost weight after stopping the medication? I have been struggling with my buddha belly and inability to lose weight for a couple years now. I don't eat sugar or flour and weigh and measure all my food but have had almost no weight loss since getting really strict with my food intake. I have slowly gone from a size 8 to a size 14-16 in the past 5 years. My clothes don't fit at all but at least I am cancer free. The nutritionist says at this point I must exercise a lot more. Have people found once they go off the med they lose weight?

Also, since stopping the medication very recently , I seem to be having even more sweating to the point of my hair in the back of my head getting wet ? Did other women experience that too?

Do most women after they stop the AI or estrogen reducing medication, get tested with the breast cancer index which apparently uses a sample of one's original tumor to predict the chance of reoccurence in the next 5 years.

Thanks for any information, Serenity/wisdom

• KayMc1
    KayMc1 Member Posts: 5
    Options

I started Arimidex the end of August. 100% ER+ and 100% PR+. I had no issues at all the first two months. This past month I feel exhausted all the time. At first I thought it might be seasonal allergies, but I've never felt like this with allergies. I'm trying to get to bed earlier, but I both look and feel like death. I'm hoping this is a temporary side effect, and will go away at some point. Has that happened with anyone?

• tobyholic
    Options

Thanks WndrWoman......I will definitely try that. I am desperate for any suggestions.

• brutersmom
    Options

Sophiee, I finally got my blood work back. Like you my white count went back up. No explanation. But it is back to normal and all my other labs were good.

• Sophiee
    Options

Great news Brutersmom! I was wondering about you.

• denvmom
    denvmom Member Posts: 23
    Options

I have been doing Atkins staying with 18-25 gr of carbs mostly from vegies since June 2016.  I have lost 20 lbs. and have totally changed my lifestyle.  I have been on Arimidex since June 2016 too.  Just glad I did the lifestyle change in my diet.  I hope to keep losing weight.  Let's face it ladies, cancer loves sugar and carbs are basically sugar so the less carbs the better off you are.

I have a question, after 6 months on Arimidex or it's generic I am going pee at least every hour and a half.  I never had to go pee this much.  Has anyone else had this side effect?

• Blinkie
    Blinkie Member Posts: 123
    Options

DenvMom ~ About needing to pee more - I think it's one of the many things that happens when estrogen is reduced. Check out some sites on what happens in menopause.

For example, here is a bit of information from healthline.com:

http://www.healthline.com/health/menopause/symptom...

It's common for women in menopause to lose control of their bladder. You may also feel a constant need to urinate even without a full bladder, or experience painful urination. This is because during menopause, the tissues in your vagina and urethra lose their elasticity and the lining thins. The surrounding pelvic muscles may also weaken.

I went through menopause before taking anastrozole, so I've been living for years already with hot flashes, arthritis, the need to pee all the time, no armpit hair, etc etc. When first taking the pills, the hot flashes got worse. Also acid reflux got worse. After a month or so these things decreased back to (almost) my 'normal' level.