Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Root canals and breast cancer

Options
13»

Comments

• Belinda44
    Belinda44 Member Posts: 15
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thought this was interesting and kinda related to the topic at hand (mouth issues/infections and cancer).  Just saw a quick blurb on my local news this evening about a possible link between mouth bacteria and pancreatic cancer....googled it and found this:

http://www.newsmaxhealth.com/healthwire/pancreatic_cancer_mouth/2011/10/11/411296.html

So many fascinating things/theories we learn everyday about this complex disease.....

• impositive
    impositive Member Posts: 102
    edited October 2011
    Options

dogeyed, I have studied the cancer-fungus link intensively for the last couple years.  I do believe they are related and have posted my thoughts and findings on the "fungal theory" thread in the "Alternative forums."  Interestingly, because of fungi's affinity for estrogen, their ability to adhere to our tissues is doubled in estrogen dominant women... but what makes us estrogen dominant?  One reason could be because we have a fungal overgrowth such as candida.  Fungi produce toxins such as zearalenone that are highly estrogenic and these toxins can actually raise our estrogen levels so it becomes a vicious circle.  Antibiotics are one of the big culprits of candida overgrowth so be careful with those ladies!   Mainstream medicine seems to be ignoring these issues.  Hopefully, someday, they will catch up to these early researchers work. 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2012
    Options

Hmm. I got bc on the same side as my root canals.

Norah

• jenlee
    jenlee Member Posts: 204
    edited April 2012
    Options

My two front teeth were loosened when my dog reared his head into my mouth.  Not sure which one had the root canal, but it was two years before my diagnosis.  Though I can think of about ten other factors that probably contributed to the development of my BC, bad luck among them.

• gumshoe
    gumshoe Member Posts: 59
    edited April 2012
    Options

This post really caught my eye.

Not too long after I was diagnosed, I had an infection in one of my molars (same side as affected breast). They said I'd need a root canal. I've never had a root canal in my life! I was on antibiotics because the pain was so severe but because I was going in for more surgery, I couldn't have the root canal right away.

Fast forward 6 weeks: went to the endodontist who said there was no sign of an infection and that I didn't need a root canal after all.

Hmm. 

• momoschki
    momoschki Member Posts: 218
    edited April 2012
    Options

I asked both my dentist and the endodontist I was referred to for an evaluation for a questionable tooth, and both denied any connection.  The endodontist, in particular, looked at me like a was a nutcase.  Still, I am not convinced that there is no definitive connection.  Anyone know of any reputable literature on this topic?

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited April 2012
    Options

Here's an interesting website I just came across.  Don't know how "scientific" any of this doc's quotes are, but there's a meridian chart that's one of the best I've seen at detailing the whole meridian connection theory.  I've actually been looking for a holistic dentist and was interested to see that this one is located in So. Ca. 

As with any other risk factor, I think it's a very individual thing.  I equate it to smoking.  Some people get lung cancer from smoking, some don't.  It just (IMO) depends on what other stresses there are on your immune system and your genetic make up, as well as other lifestyle and environmental factors.   If you're predisposed to this sort of genetic breakdown and have enough other imbalances (e.g. too much estrogen) and other things already going on, it might make more of a difference than if we don't.   JMHO...    Deanna

Oops!  Forgot to give you the link:  http://naturaldentistry.us/1224/can-root-canals-cause-breast-cancer/ 

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited October 2012
    Options

Dental, I had something happen related to this question.  While having some dental x-rays a few months ago, I found out that a root canal I had 15+ years ago but no longer remembered what tooth it was done on was actually on a tooth that is on a breast-related meridian, which didn't totally surprise me, but gave me further reason to believe that my old root canal may have been a contributing factor to my developing bc.  OTOH, researchers have recently determined that there are several kinds of bc, and I don't believe they are all related to root canals, or that root canals are always a problem -- just that they might be one of many precipitating factors or stressors on our immune systems that play into developing bc for some of us.     Deanna

• hendrik
    hendrik Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2012
    Options

Hi,

The 3 mouthinfections are gum/periodontitis, rootcanals and bone cavitations. All 3 spread bacteria into the bloodstream, lymfesystem and /or via the nerve systems (axions). These bacteria are known to cause mainly atheriosclerosis of the bloodvessels, besides otehr damages to organs and joints.

The rootcanal problem is that the dentist can only seal the main canal;s and not the many small assecory canals, which feed the tooth when alive. These nerves enable you to feel cold and or sensitive teeth. These nerves rot when a tooth dies and become home to the anaerobic bacteria. These leak into the bone, sinus etc and their toxins are known as thioeters and mercaptams. Theya re very toxic. These toxins block the pathway p53-p21 which is the imune systems its defense against cancer growth and metastasis.

The bone cavitations have toxins more toxic than the one of rootcanals. The are hollow openings in the bone jaw where teeth have been extracted without debriding the ligament of the  socket.

Thiese researches were presented by the researcher Jones, who has also developed the cavitat. This device is used to find bone cavitations.

T.Rau just found the connections with the meridians.

There are more factors causing cancer, such as lifestyle, but having a rootcanal is participating in the lottery for cancer. Also known is that calcium and magnesium deficiency in drinkingwater does not protect against 5 types of cancer, as published in 2009. The modern food fast food in does not provide enough minerals, it needs to be in drinkingwater.

The people with periodontal problems /infection have a chronic state of body acidosis. The body uses calcium from the bone to fight the acidity.  Healing and prevention starts with change of diet and remove the infections from the mouth.

Mercury does not cause cancer. It does affect the immune system and oxidizes the body and is a toxin that is involved in many ilnesses. For thoose reasons it should be removed safely from the body.

Hendrik Dentist

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited October 2012
    Options

Ironically, just had a root canal done last week for a crown that broke off.  It was on the non-cancer side.

• carmfinch
    carmfinch Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2015
    Options

Hi, thank you for your story. I had breast cancer in 2013 and got a mastectomy. 2 major hospitals checked my dna and said they can find no medical reason for me getting the breast cancer. I believe it was my dental work.  I wish I had read your dental Root Canal story and others before or I wouldn't have gotten the surgery. I am getting mercury fillings removed and 3 root canals removed as well. I can see that there is infection going on in 2 of them and that's the side I had the breast cancer on. I thank God for the stories of yourself  and others because perhaps others can be spared losing their breast and being healed instead. thank you and I pray you are still doing well.

carm

• marijen
    marijen Member Posts: 2,181
    edited December 2015
    Options

Hi Carmfinch,

I have a tooth with a crown and a root canal that bothers me on and off for decades. Everytime I bring it up to a dentist they say it's fine? I want to take care of it once and for all. I have asked for them to just remove it and they refuse. What kind of dentist should I see for this and what do they pur in the place when a root canal is removed? Please and thanks

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited December 2015
    Options

I would think the choices would be pulling the tooth and not replacing it or replacing it with an implant or partial bridge. Don't do it because of your breast cancer though. It has nothing whatsoever to do with it

• marijen
    edited December 2015
    Options

So Melissa I know you are well informed but, can you tell me how you arrive at your opinion. I was just looking at a book - Toxic Root Canal - and tomorrow I was going to find a new dentist, like a holistic naturapath or something. The molar is very close to where my positive node was, just a handspread away. And since I'm asking, what about all those theories, regarding weight, alcohol, etc. Do you agree those are causes?

Thanks!

• melissadallas
    edited December 2015
    Options

Weight, yes. Alcohol, yes, at least weakly if consumed in reasonable amounts. These are well researched and documented. There is not a single respected and reliable medical source that backs up root canals having anything to do with breast cancer

• marijen
    edited December 2015
    Options

Ok, I'll buy that. But what do you mean weakly? There's also smoking, menopause, diet, all those things we feel guilty about. Thanks again.

• melissadallas
    edited December 2015
    Options

This is a good thread on alcohol.

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/68/topics...

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited December 2015
    Options

Marijen, try not to feel guilty. It doesn't help anything. Various thing have, through credible medical research, been established as increasing the risk of BC. However, root canals are absolutely not one of those things. Just because someone puts his completely unsupported theory into a book does not make the theory true.

• marijen
    edited December 2015
    Options

Oh I don't feel guilty it's just that there are uninformed people out there who will blame you for getting sick. I don't think that's right, and I just wanted more information to counter them. And there are things we didn't know about long time ago. My BS said the cancer started 20 years ago! This tooth is driving me crazy and now my tongue is hurting. Don't want to take my Femara tonight. Giving my body a break. I still think maybe a doctor that can do a root canal without spreading bacteria everywhere would be a good thing, I already had the root canal a little over 20 years ago, so it must be a coincidence. It looks like there is some infection and they need to go in and redo it. Just trying to inform myself.

• Momine
    edited December 2015
    Options

Marijen, apparently the root canal link to cancer has been thoroughly debunked. The idea originated with Weston Price:

Myth #2—Root canal treatment causes illness.

Myth #2—Root canal treatment causes illness.

The myth: Patients searching the Internet for information on root canals may find sites claiming that teeth receiving root canal (endodontic) treatment contribute to the occurrence of illness and disease in the body. This false claim is based on long-debunked and poorly designed research performed nearly a century ago by Dr. Weston A. Price, at a time before medicine understood the causes of many diseases.

In the 1920s, Dr. Price advocated tooth extraction—the most traumatic dental procedure—over endodontic treatment. This resulted in a frightening era of tooth extraction both for treatment of systemic disease and as a prophylactic measure against future illness.

The truth: There is no valid, scientific evidence linking root canal-treated teeth and disease elsewhere in the body. A root canal is a safe and effective procedure. When a severe infection in a tooth requires endodontic treatment, that treatment is designed to eliminate bacteria from the infected root canal, prevent reinfection of the tooth and save the natural tooth.

• The presence of bacteria in teeth and the mouth has been an accepted fact for many years. But the presence of bacteria does not constitute "infection" and is not necessarily a threat to a person's health. Bacteria are present in the mouth and teeth at all times, even in teeth that have never had a cavity or other trauma. Research shows that the healthy immune system takes care of bacteria in a matter of minutes.
    • Tooth extraction is a traumatic procedure and is known to cause a significantly higher incidence of bacteria entering the bloodstream; endodontic treatment confined to the root canal system produces much less trauma and a much lower incidence and magnitude of bacteria entering the blood stream.
    • There is no adequate replacement for the natural tooth - it should be saved whenever possible. Root canal treatment, along with appropriate restoration, is a cost effective way to treat infected teeth because it is usually less expensive than extraction and placement of an implant. In most cases, endodontic treatment allows patients to keep their natural teeth for a lifetime.

But what about Dr. Price? This is a good example of how the Internet can give new life to long-dispelled theories. Believe it or not, the misinformation about roots canals that is found on the Internet is still based on Dr. Price's century-old, discredited research. Dr. Price's research techniques were criticized at the time they were published, and by the early 1930s, a number of well-designed studies using more modern research techniques discredited his findings. In 1951, the Journal of the American Dental Association took the extraordinary step of publishing a special edition reviewing the scientific literature and shifted the standard of practice back to endodontic treatment for teeth with non-vital pulp in instances where the tooth could be saved. The JADA reviewed Dr. Price's research techniques from the 1920s and noted that they lacked many aspects of modern scientific research, including absence of proper control groups and induction of excessive doses of bacteria.

As recently as 2013, research published in JAMA Otolaryngology—Head & Neck Surgery, found that patients with multiple endodontic treatments had a 45 percent reduced risk of cancer. http://www.aae.org/patients/treatments-and-procedures/root-canals/myths-about-root-canals-and-root-canal-pain.aspx

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited December 2015
    Options

there is no way a root canal gets rid of the smaller and smaller branches of the root unless a lazer is applied after the root canal is done

• marijen
    edited December 2015
    Options
    • Thank you Momine! This aleviates my worries. Now I feel better about getting treatment. Abigail, I'm not sure what your post about smaller branches is about? Anyways thank you for taking the time. I'm going to be calling the dentist office in the am tomorrow
  • Momine
    edited December 2015
    Options

Marijen, you are welcome. We have enough real stuff to worry about, so no point in wasting worry on discredited and outdated theories.

• abigail48
    abigail48 Member Posts: 337
    edited December 2015
    Options

are y ou saying momine that teeth roots do not branch into smaller and smaller branches?

• Momine
    edited December 2015
    Options

Abigail, no, I am saying that root canals are perfectly safe procedures. The idea that they were not was based on bad research by Weston Price, and his research was thoroughly debunked more than 50 years ago.

• jelson
    jelson Member Posts: 622
    edited December 2015
    Options
      http://www.simplestepsdental.com/SS/ihtSS/r.==/st.31843/t.31883/pr.3.html
    • Root — The root of the tooth is the part that extends into the upper or lower jawbones. Different types of teeth have different root formations. Some, such as incisors and canine teeth, have a single root. Molars may have one, two or three roots depending on their type and location in the mouth. At the end of each root is a small opening called the apical foramen. Blood vessels and nerves pass through this opening to enter the tooth.

teeth can be described as being like trees - the similarity is that the part that we see is above the surface and there are roots below the surface. The roots of teeth, however, unlike trees, do not branch off into smaller and smaller root(lets).

• BethinRI
    BethinRI Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2016
    Options

I would sooner pull the tooth out. Not safe....like amalgam, flouride, GMOs, etc.

• carmfinch
    carmfinch Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2016
    Options

hi I am sorry just got back on the site! Look up a Holistic Dentist. They have a safe specific way for removing metal fillings n root canals. I have started with one here in North Carolina. I'm on my way n pray you find someone as well!