Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

tubular carcinoma

Options

Comments

• vrsecond
    vrsecond Member Posts: 5
    Options

I was just diagnosed 1/14/13 awaiting MRI 1/29/13 then meet with surgeon to determine course of treatment. I'm scared. here's the path report notes:

Invasive duct carcinoma well differentiated (tubular carcinoma). No in-situ component present. ER/PR+ Her2neu Negative

Anyone have any insight for me? thank you for your help!

• voraciousreader
    voraciousreader Member Posts: 3,696
    Options

Vrsecond... Register at the NCCN website and check out the 2012 breast cancer treatment guidelines... Professionals version... Not the patients version. Tubular and mucinous ( which is what I have) have their very own guidelines. Our mucinous thread is a little more active than the tubular thread. I hope someone with tubular will reply. I will say that pure tubular and pure mucinous BC have favorable prognosis'. I wish you well!

• TaTaForNow
    TaTaForNow Member Posts: 1
    Options

Vrsecond, Just saw your post and Voraciousreaders suggestion to check the NCCN treatment guidelines - great idea. How are you now and have you made your treatment choices?

Mine was a pure tubular  Got a second pathology report from another hospital to be sure it was pure  (that is, over 90% tubular). For me  this  helps to figure treatment. I think if it's less than 90% tubular, you can get different treatment outcomes -  so the data in these studies may not apply.

Local oncologist and radiologist offer the standard treatment (rads,  no adjuvent per the NCCN guidelines). However my breast surgeon understands I don't want to overtreat and is agreeable to increased surveillance if I don't have the rads (ultrasound, breast check. maybe MRI at 6mos). 

Cocococo, Voraciousreader, MarieKelly and others - you really helped me learn to think about this problem and consider treatment decisions. Thank you.

I'm getting a second opinion from a  teaching hospital  next week - by the end of the month I should be able to make a decision that makes sense to me. Which may be nothing more than increased surveillance.

Also, Oncotype and KI-67 cell proliferation test make treatment (for me anyway) more of a reasoned decision. Although there is still a guesstimate factor. 

Good luck fellow tubular!

• BookWoman
    BookWoman Member Posts: 33
    Options

This is my first time posting. I've been debating where to start as there are several threads that apply. I was glad to see the tubular thread had some activity. I was diagnosed in December, had BRCA testing as this is my second BC in just over two years (negative Smile) and am now waiting for Oncotype results.

• voraciousreader
    Options

Welcome sisters. Hope this thread doesn't have to become too active! I hope you all can come back here and can help others thru their journey. On the mucinous thread, I put links to all the journal studies on mucinous breast cancer. Some of the studies include tubular... Perhaps one of you can do the same here....there needs to be a place for the newly diagnosed to find as much info on our rare favorable types of BC.

I wish all of you newly diagnosed well during the time it takes to make a treatment decision and especially well during active treatment.

• LuvSnow
    LuvSnow Member Posts: 138
    Options

Hi ladies,

I am two weeks out from a BMX w/TE.  Saw my onc yesterday and got the final pathology to take home :)  I had .8cm of IDC noted as tubular and .7cm of DCIS.  My TC was grade 2, and the DCIS is a grade 1. All my nodes were clear (yay).  I chose a BMX due to having dense breasts, atypical ductal hyperplasia (both breasts), numerous biopsies, and a strong family history (mom at 28, maternal grandma in 40's, two (of three) maternal great-aunts in their 60s).  I was just tired of sitting, waiting, worrying. The one thing that concerned me was I thought they thoroughly look at both breast's tissue after surgery...my onco said that although they "look", buy only they concentrate on the suspicious area.  So, in his words, there was the possibility of small cancers that are overlooked. He said that is why all other diagnostic tests are done ahead of time (mammograms, u/s, MRI)...to tell the pathologists where to look.  But my mammos and u/s showed NOTHING...and the MRI missed the DCIS growing with a fibroadenoma.

My oncologist ordered an oncotype (waiting on that, but he thinks is will be low). Though he said even IF the onco came back high he would still not recommend chemo (IF that happens I may get a second opinion). Based on my family history, and my age (44), and what he plugged into adjuvantonline.com, has me starting tamoxifen in 2 weeks.

Oh, I have read that TC are HIGHLY ER positive....mine is extremely weak...only 5%!  Any  one else the same?  I guess I am wondering if I have a tubular carcinoma, especially given it is so rare.

• voraciousreader
    Options

momof5inva...I found this abstract:

Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2009 Dec 1;75(5):1304-8. doi: 10.1016/j.ijrobp.2008.12.070. Epub  2009 Apr 20.

Clinical-pathologic features and long-term outcomes of tubular carcinoma of the breast compared with invasive ductal carcinoma treated with breast conservation therapy.

Source

Department of Therapeutic Radiology, Yale University School of Medicine, New Haven, CT 06520-8040, USA.

Abstract

PURPOSE:

To evaluate our institutional experience of treating tubular carcinoma of the breast (TC) and invasive ductal carcinoma (IDC) with conservative surgery and radiation therapy, to compare clinical-pathologic features and long-term outcomes.

METHODS AND MATERIALS:

A review of our institution's tumor registry from 1975 to 2007, followed by a central pathology review of available slides, yielded 71 cases of Stage I/II TC and 2,238 cases of Stage I/II IDC treated with breast conservation therapy. Clinical-pathologic features and outcomes were analyzed by subtype to detect significant differences.

RESULTS:

The median follow-up was 7 years. The TC cohort presented more frequently with pT1 disease (97% vs. 80%, p = 0.0007), pN0 disease (95% vs. 74%, p = 0.0004), hormone-receptor positivity (ER+, 89% vs. 62%, p = 0.0001; PR+, 81% vs. 52%, p = 0.0001), and HER-2 negativity (89% vs. 71%, p = 0.04). Clinical outcomes also favored the TC cohort, with lower rates of breast cancer-related death (1% vs. 10%; p = 0.0109) and distant metastasis (1% vs. 13%; p = 0.0028) and higher rates of 10-year overall (90% vs. 80%; p = 0.033), cause-specific (99% vs. 86%; p = 0.011), and disease-free (99% vs. 82%; p = 0.003) survival. There was a nonsignificant trend toward improved breast cancer relapse-free survival for the TC cohort (95% vs. 87%; p = 0.062) but no difference in nodal relapse-free survival or contralateral breast cancer relapse-free survival (all p values >0.05) between the cohorts.

CONCLUSION:

Our institutional experience suggests that TC, when compared with IDC, is associated with more favorable clinical-pathologic features and comparable, if not superior, outcomes after breast conservation therapy, suggesting the appropriateness of a conservative approach to this rare subtype.

Notice there were 71 cases of Tubular bc.  Of them, 89% were ER Positive.  So, while Tubular is rare, Tubular that is ER NEGATIVE is rarer...occuring in 11% of cases.  But notice, according to this study...at 10 years...disease free survival was 99% for all cases.  So, even those who were ER NEGATIVE, they had EXCELLENT outcomes.

I think it's a great idea to have the Oncotype DX test.  However, for Tubular and Mucinous breast cancers, the test is not as strongly validated as it is for "traditional" types of breast cancers.

Good luck.  Let us know your score and decision.

• LuvSnow
    Options

Thank you!  It really is amazing how few people actually have this cancer. I feel so special Wink  It will be interesting to see what the oncotype comes back at.  My MO is treating this as a stage II IDC, and even though I am a weak ER positive, it is postitive none-the-less, hence the tamoxifen.  I am less concerned at this point of a recurrence of this, as another new lump, even though I had a BMX.  My body likes to grow tumors Laughing  I currently have two on my thyroid, not cancerous, yet...but they are showing changes and my endo said once we are done with this (BC) journey we need to tackle the thyroid. 

My BS said that although a new occurence % is low with my BMX, he has seen it.  And given my history and family history, he said we just have to be consistent with follow up.  Good thing he says it will be MUCH easier to find...no digging through that dense, lumpy tissue.

I feel like a petri dish Laughing 

• raspberry
    raspberry Member Posts: 8
    Options

Hi All,

- in this rather small group of people. It is strange to be diagnosed with a rare-ish form of IDC. I gather mine is pretty much a "pure form" - they don't give me as many details as I would like on these histology reports.

Anyway, survival rates seem to be really good with or without radiotherapy, but in New Zealand, where I am, although they are careful not to over-treat, I still still have to do radiotherapy, with my first session tomorrow, the dry run for measurements etc.

I wonder if they have considered that I may not need the radiotherapy. Although lumpectomy followed by radiotherapy is standard for all breast cancers in NZ, as a minimum treatment it seems. I got off having to take Tamoxifen though, as it only improved my survival by 1.7% and my surgeon said "it is not an innocent drug". I hated the sound of the side effects. I have my ovaries, but had an abdominal hysterectomy last year. Although I don't get periods I have absolutely no symptoms of menopause yet at 50. I really am glad I can go naturally towards that and not suddenly.

I am more afraid of depression than anything and there was a chance of that with Tamoxifen. That definitely was the worst disease I ever had.

As my tumour removed was 1.6cms I am ok about having radiotherapy, as anything over 1.5 can mean it could have gone somewhere, although my lymph node was clear (the removal of that is much ouchier than the breast part of the op isn't it?)

Anyway, is there anyone out there who had a lumpectomy only, because it is tubular carcinoma, because their doctor recommended no further treatment?

I believe I may have caused this cancer by drinking alcohol, a moderate to heavy to drinker, only had about three days off per week and when I did drink it was 4+ either wine or a third of vodka, a bit heavy I must admit.

Since diagnosis I have completely stopped drinking and lost four kgs, as a result.Cool I am at my perfect weight for me, under 63kgs

My doctor took large margins, as I requested, since the affected breast was quite a different shape and larger (it had become a different shape - that was my symptom, but it had always been larger). With such large margins, they were clear.

Along with the 1.6cm cancer there are 8mm of cribriform carcinoma in situ, so 2cms all up of bad stuff.

• voraciousreader
    Options

Rasp....First off, I'm sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with tubular breast cancer.  As you know, the prognosis for tubular breast cancer is excellent.  Regarding radiotherapy, as you mentioned, the standard of care for most patients who have a lumpectomy includes radiotherapy.  You can check other threads here at bc.org regarding radiation therapy.  Most patients who do decide to have radiotherapy do well with few side effects.

Regarding alcohol consumption, there are numerous MIXED studies.  In April a small study suggested that mortality rates of breast cancer survivors INCREASED from alcohol consumption.  Likewise, there are studies that have said that overall survival improved from moderate drinking because of it's effects on the heart.  The good news for you is that your decrease in alcohol consumption improved your weight.  There is evidence that for ER positive tumors, additional weight is a no-no because it fuels your body's estrogen which in turn affects breast cancer.  So, IMHO, I would suggest if you want to drink alcohol, that you consume it wisely and try not to worry.  I wholeheartedly agree that depression is an awful illness.  So you need to concentrate on feeling well and do the things that keep depression at bay, and of course, do the things that make you happy.

I wish you well.

• auntienance
    auntienance Member Posts: 3,871
    Options

Thank you all for all the information you have provided. I have a very confusing diagnosis. Although my tumor was 95% tubular, my oncotype score came back a 26. When discussing my treatment options with my MO I questioned him about what seemed a rather high score for such a tumor type. His opinion was that the test caught something that the human eye (pathologist) missed. Obviously not very comforting to someone looking for the most positive outcome. At any rate, I'm happy to read about others experiences with this diagnosis. Info is sometimes hard to come by.

• voraciousreader
    Options

auntie...Here's a retrospective study from 1999 regarding tubular and mucinous breast cancer:

http://jco.ascopubs.org/content/17/5/1442.full

Regarding the Oncotype DX test and tubular and mucinous breast cancer.....For our types of BC the NCCN do not mention doing the Oncotype DX test even though it is recommended for "traditional" ER positive, HER2 negative tumors.  I am pleased to hear that your doctor and mine recommended the test.  I can only guess why the NCCN guidelines do NOT recommend the test for us.  First off, it "usually" means we have an excellent prognosis AND the test is NOT as strictly validated for us because it is so rare.   However, there is some research which seems to validate that most patients who are OncotypeDX tested, will receive low scores.  But, as your situation shows us, there are ALWAYS outliers.  Thank goodness your physician had the foresight to request the test!

I wish you well.

• raspberry
    Options

Thanks Auntie and Voracious - so today was just a consultation with the oncologist, not the measurements etc., so that is next week. An MR scan and all (eek, a bit claustrophobic).

So now the oncologist is surprized I haven't been recommended Taxomifen as well and I told her the surgeon thought I didn't need it. I was told I needed six weeks radiotherapy and then today I was told it was three weeks plus a booster into the bed where the tumour was, 56 gys all up I think?

Opinions sure do vary out there amongst the medical professionals. Oh, I just want to get on with the radiotherapy and then I won't feel weirded by the next unknown factor of this journey. 

I haven't heard this for years, but she said I was "young" to get cancer at 50 and that in itself was something of a risk factor because I am still premenopausal, as far as I know (no uterus, just ovaries).

The oncologist also said lumpectomy and tamoxifen is as effective as lumpectomy and radiation? - that's a new one?

In regards to alcohol, I find it hard to have just one drink, so I just abstain - I like 4! but now I haven't been drinking, I don't want at all. Its about as attractive to me as smoking, which I gave away 30 years ago.

My main reason why is that even three drinks a week, spread out over a week, is known to triple the chances of reoccurence for those who have had BC (as someone said above - much worse for someone who has had BC). 

In regards to a score, I had a score of 12 for a test for ovarian cancer about 1 year ago - but since then it turns out that test is more accurate testing breast cancer. That 12 was in relation to 32 being the limit where it becomes suspicious for cancer circulating - I wonder if this is the same test. I must find those bits of paper. 

• raspberry
    Options

The penny just dropped for me "breast conserving therapy" is a two step process - it always involves radiotherapy, as well as surgery, unless you are over 70 years of age, on some kind of hormone therapy, have clear nodes, small tumour etc.,

So there you have it. Only experimental studies are having women try lumpectomy with no radiation. Of course, I can opt out, but it would be a bit foolish. All the predicting programmes online assume both steps are taken. 

• voraciousreader
    Options

Rasp.... Looks like you are voraciousreader 2!! Good luck with your active treatment. I wish you well!

• raspberry
    Options

I am probably not going to go for radiation. I will be my own experiment. I will be going for another meeting with the RO, this time I will know more and she assures me that she wishes to discuss a number of interesting points I raised in regards to my statistics. I was blind sided by her not even mentioning any specific to me at the first meeting.

I went home and looked up my stats and wow, there isn't much benefit in rads for me. An absolute maximum risk of 8.3% recurrence rate which could be improved down to 2.5% recurrence rate with rads, but I don't want rads for such a small shaving off that percentage, when 7.3% is the New Zealand rate for women AFTER radiotherapy. 

I think I will take my chances. I felt very irresponsible when I first decided I didn't like the sound of "pretty much guaranteed lung scarring", and I have had a couple of really bad days trying to make up my mind - in fact, this decision has been the worst part of it so far, and hopefully the last part of it. I think I will fly free from further treatment. I have massive clean margins, no LVI, no nodal involvement. 

She assures me the next meeting will be just so I am sure of whatever my decision is, as opposed to the veiled threat I got from my nurse when I told her I didn't want radiotherapy "if I had known you were going to be like this - we would have given you a mastectomy". Frown

• LuvSnow
    Options

Hi ladies,

I had posted months ago regarding my diagnosis of tubular carcinoma.   My original core biopsy was sent to a large lab that showed IDC grade 2.  No mention of Tubular.  Yet, when I had my BMX, the path done at the hospital came back as Tubular grade 1.  Well, long story short. I was not happy with my MO (put me on tamoxifen and said see you in a year), and, given that I was relatively young (44) and Tubular is so rare, I wanted a second opinion.  I moved my care to Johns Hopkins, where they reviewed all my slides.  The MO there said it is just run-of-the mill IDC...not tubular...she even had pathology go over it twice...the diagnosis: IDC grade 2, just like the biopsy. The pathologist told the MO he does not know why they called it tubular.

So, I guess it pays to have second opinions, especially in the case of rare cancers.  

• voraciousreader
    Options

Yep! Rare breast cancers need more than one and even sometimes more than two reviews! Glad to hear you went the distance and thanks for the update!

• becca333
    becca333 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Age 64, Dx 4/07/2014, IDC, Type- Cribriform Tubular, 1cm ,grade1, stage1, ER+95%, PR+90-95%, HER2-, Node Negative, OncotypeDX Score 8.  
    Surgery: 5/15/2014, Lumpectomy (Right), Clear Margins.

Recommended Treatment:  Radiation Therapy - 25 secessions with 5 secession booster, Hormone Therapy (anastrozole for 5 years)

After doing extensive researching on both the type of cancer that I had versus the recommended standard treatment given me, I discovered that the treatment recommended for me was the same for patients having stage 2, 3, and 4 ER+,PR+, Her2-, Node Negative cancers.  How could that be?    I chose not to do radiation or hormone therapy.    Instead I would detox my body by eating right and exercising.  I would find out how I got cancer in the first place.  

What was causing my estrogen and progesterone levels to be so high?   What could I do to naturally lower my estrogen and progesterone?   While researching how I could test my estrogen levels, I came across articles and ads about cancer patients and the importance of testing ones PH levels.  The articles explained how cancer grows and thrives in acidic environments and environments low in oxygen, and that cancer CANNOT thrive or grow in alkaline environments or environments high in oxygen.  The articles claimed that cancer patients have acidic PH levels.   Was that true, was my PH level acidic like the article had claimed?  I rushed to the drug store to buy a package of PH testing strips to check my PH level.  To my surprise I was totally acidic.  I immediately began researching on what I needed to do to become alkaline.   While researching, I came across articles about how by taking 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a glass of water will immediately bring a persons body into an alkaline PH balance.   Better yet, by taking 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a glass of water once or twice a day, (depending on how acidic a persons PH level is) will not only prevent a person from getting cancer, but will also prevent those who had or have cancer from their cancer returning.   And even better than that, the article claimed that baking soda also gets rid of cancer tumors within a six week period.  

It was now 5 months after my lumpectomy.  I had started on the baking soda regimen for 3 days.  I noticed a small lump in the same spot that the tumor was removed.  Could it be scar tissue or another tumor forming?  To be safe I went to see my family doctor.  After examining the lump, my family doctor recommended that I have an ultrasound done. After leaving the doctors office while driving home in the car, I started to second guess myself as to whether or not I did the right thing.  Should I have done the radiation treatment, would that have helped?   And what about the baking soda, it was only day three.  Should I immediately rush to make the ultrasound appointment or should wait 5 1/2 weeks to see if the baking soda regimen really worked or not.  How would I know if I didn't at least give it a try.  So I decided to wait.  As the weeks went by I kept feeling the lump.  Some days it seemed smaller, than others days it seemed to feel the same.  On week five I went in for the ultrasound.  It was on a Thursday. The ultrasound reading came back reporting a suspicious malignant tumor.  A mammogram was also done confirming the ultrasound reading.   A biopsy was scheduled for the following Tuesday.  Over the weekend I kept feeling for the lump.  It was there on Thursday, I had taken a picture of the tumor on Thursday from the ultrasound screen with my iphone.   It was now Sunday and I couldn't feel lump.  Was it possible that the tumor could disappear that fast!  

My husband went with me for the biopsy.   When my name was called, both myself and my husband were escorted into a sterile operating room where biopsy instruments were lined up neatly ready for the surgery.  I was told to put on the famous hospital gown, to relax and not to worry, that the doctor would be in shortly.   Within a few minutes the doctor came in the room.  After washing hands, the doctor put warm ultrasound gel on the area of where the lumpectomy tumor was located and began going back and forth over the area to locate the new tumor of which it could not be found.  The markers from the lumpectomy were located but nothing else.  No tumor, nor scar tissue, no nothing. I couldn't believe it!

Another month and a half has passed and I haven't missed a day of taking 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a glass of water.  I couldn't feel any better than do or be any happier than I am.   I am still shocked by the whole thing.  To think that something as little as baking soda can change a persons PH balance from acidic to alkaline, and also dissolve cancer tumors, not to mention prevent cancer tumors from forming.  

I hoping that this information will be of help others.  And I'm wishing everyone the very best no matter what cancer treatment options they choose.

God bless all.

Becca333

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,966
    Options

Hi Becca!

As you noticed this thread has not been active in awhile and that may impact your receiving responses. Perhaps you might consider starting a new topic and posting your experience, maybe under the Alternative Medicine forum would be a better option, for to the content of your post.

Best,

The Mods

• becca333
    becca333 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Thank you, I will consider doing so.

• 99eagle
    99eagle Member Posts: 1
    Options

I had an initial biopsy showing DCIS. I recently had a lumpectomy but the sentinel node was not removed. The biopsy from that showed tubular carcinoma. Now the oncologist is wanting the sentinel node removed for biopsy, but since the tumor is less than 1cm I am resisting. Will have radiation therapy.

Has anyone had tubular carcinoma where the sentinel node was not removed, and what was the long-term outcome. I am 75 years.

• voraciousreader
    Options

eagle...I strongly recommend that you register at the NCCN'S website and read the professional version (red logo) of their breast cancer treatment guidelines. Specifically, read the page devoted to mucinous and tubular breast cancer. That said, when there is invasive cancer, the standard of care recommends checking lymph nodes. Furthermore, there is evidence that older patients may not need radiation.

You don't mention the size of the tumor nor other specifics. If it is ER + andHER 2 negative, you might request the OncotypeDX test. Please keep in mind that for favorable rare types of breast cancer, the OncotypeDX DX test is not as strongly validated as it is for other types of BC.

I wish you well!

• carolh75
    carolh75 Member Posts: 1
    Options

I had a lumpectomy 2 days ago.  The sentinel node was not removed.  I am 72 years old.  I have an appointment next week to see my oncologist.  I have a pure tubular carcinoma, that is 4.5 mm.  I hope to forgo radiation and hormones.  I will find out more next week.

• voraciousreader
    Options

Carol...I hope you will read the NCCN's breast cancer treatment guidelines (professional version-red logo) at their website. Specifically, read the page devoted to tubular and mucinous. From your description, you may very well be able to CONSIDER NOT having additional treatment. Your prognostics are excellent. That said, because you have excellent prognostics, you have many choices to make. I wish you well.

• NATSGSG
    NATSGSG Member Posts: 64
    Options

hello everyone:

Just stopping by to wish everyone well, and to share a hello a link that contains scientific articles of Tubular breast Cancer that I hope will be informative and of use to you. You may have to sift through the titles and find the ones pertinent and interesting. I've posted the same at another thread of the same title, but thought pasting it here will make it convenient for you.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=Tubular+carcinomas+of+the+breast

Also, please consider going to this site, the Society for Immunotherapy for Cancer (SITU) to see if they have anything on this disease using immunotherapy (current hot topic in cancer treatment) to treat it. You may wish to consider having them include you in their distribution list for any latest development and updates?

http://www.sitcancer.org/sitc-meetings/presentations?utm_source=Email&utm_medium=April%20IM&utm_campaign=IM%20PL%20edu%20Opps

PPS.

Below VIDEO link tells you what the current hot topic in cancer treatment, Immunotherapy is. Fascinating to watch.

http://videocast.nih.gov/summary.asp?Live=15875&bhcp=1 

• Dina44
    Dina44 Member Posts: 1
    Options

hi need help

Radiology report

The symptomatic lump lateral to the nipple is 29.20.29mm irregular low reflectivity mass calcification a are seen at11-12o'clock with irregular segmental low reflectivity tissue with associated increased vascularity u5U

Us axilla RT multiple small nodes a couple of which have vortices which appear thickened in relation to short axis

Distortion spanning at least 40 min the breast centrally with malignant segmental calcification extending from within 2 mm of the nipple which is slightly retracted

Can any one help me please

• Nana2PandS
    Nana2PandS Member Posts: 2
    Options

Has anyone had another cancer develop in the other breast after having tubular breast cancer?

I had surgery in May, 2014 for tubular cancer, right breast, 3 mm, no nodes involved, lumpectomy followed by advanced partial breast radiation and am currently on Anastrozole for 5 years.

Yesterday I went for my six month mammogram and on my left breast there was a small 4mm lesion which was biopsied with ultrasound guidance. The radiologist said it looked suspicious and with my history, he advised the biopsy. Currently waiting for results. Has anyone experienced this? I did read where, although, tubular breast cancer is one of the least aggressive, it may develop on the other breast.

• BookWoman
    BookWoman Member Posts: 33
    Options

I have not had a cancer in the other breast develop after having tubular carcinoma, but I did have DCIS in the other breast before the tubular carcinoma.

614 Member Posts: 398
    Options

Dear Nana:

Yes.

I went/am going through something similar to you.  I developed 2 suspicious areas 7 months after my radiation treatment in the same breast as my malignancies - discovered at my first follow up MRI after treatment.  (The mammogram and ultrasound did not detect anything.)  However, I have extremely dense breast with lots of lumps and bumps.

I was diagnosed last June 2014 (similar time table as you) with pleomorphic ILC and with pleomorphic LCIS in one lump of 1.9cm.  I also had another lump that was 7.5cm but that lump was biopsied and found to be benign in June 2014. It had also previously been biopsied years ago and found to be benign then as well.  I had both lumps removed (same breast) at the time of my surgery in July 2014.  The pathology report from my surgery stated that the large lump was actually tubular carcinoma and extensive pleomorphic LCIS, as well as having many benign findings. The area of tubular carcinoma was 4mm.  I had whole breast radiation and I am taking anastrazole.  I had my ovaries removed to medically induce menopause so that I could take the anastrazole. I was not able to metabolize tamoxifen. Luckily, I did not need to have chemotherapy.

In May 2015 (my first tests/images after bc diagnosis and treatment), my MRI showed 2 suspicious areas in the same breast that was radiated and had the malignancies.  I had an MRI guided biopsy on one suspicious lump and it was found to be benign - with 7 benign findings.  I have "busy breasts".  The other suspicious area is a "1.5 cm linear non-mass enhancement with rapid washin washout kinetics - bi-rad 4b."  I am waiting and watching this area for 6 months.  My next mammogram, sonogram, and MRI is scheduled for November 2015.  

I am sorry but I do not know any statistics regarding tubular carcinoma. 

I was shocked  that I had suspicious areas so soon after treatment too. 

The only thing that I know is that most lumps (80%) are benign.

I hope that you get your results back quickly and that the pathology report show a benign finding.  I hope that your doctor will answer your questions so that your mind can be put at ease.  The waiting, wondering, and not knowing is the worst.  Do you have any idea when you will find out the results of your biopsy?  GOOD LUCK! I will be thinking about you and saying a prayer for you.  Please let us know the results.  I wish you the best.