Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Estrogen Blockers ??? Take it or dont take it ?????

Options

Comments

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited November 2013
    Options

Mandala, have you checked out www.osha.gov (Occupational Safety and Health Administration)?  I have no experience with them, but I believe they can send someone to assess the situation in your workplace and determine exactly what risky compounds are floating around in the air, and maybe settling on surfaces as well.   If they find a dangerous situation (sounds likely, doesn't it?), they can mandate a fix.  And by the way, there's no reason the heating system can't be part of the problem, especially if there are other businesses in your building.  Also, as you are a designer, is there any chance you can haul your computer home and work from there?

• RosesToeses
    RosesToeses Member Posts: 244
    edited November 2013
    Options

Mandala, thanks for clarifying about your job and what you meant about the oncologist's statement. I wonder if he meant that now that you already have cancer that leaving the job wouldn't change much? I can see for a lot of women that leaving a job with insurance, especially, would be too much to take during cancer treatments, so maybe he was trying to be reassuring about the relative risks when you already have cancer vs. not adding more stress? Don't know.

I got the impression that FDA warning states for high-risk and DCIS not stage I-IV because at that point the risks of mets is so much higher than the risk of tamoxifen related problems. Which is something my onc alluded to, as well. With the side effects you had (psychosis), I guess a blood clot is the least of your problems, but have you thought about one of the AIs? To me, when you're at the point where you're concerned about your job and the fumes and their danger, it makes sense not to ignore something like feeding estrogen to your cancer that would be that much more dangerous for you.

• melissadallas
    melissadallas Member Posts: 929
    edited November 2013
    Options

An AI could make her mood disorder worse than Tamox if it was estrogen related.

• MandalaB
    MandalaB Member Posts: 52
    edited November 2013
    Options

I was fired for calling OSHA. I was in the middle of radiation, still recovering from the surgery - my boss wanted me back after 12 weeks, no later. He told me rads were "no big deal" and it would be easy to work through. I told him I was concerned about the chemicals and he said to me "Everything causes cancer- deal with it.".... Surgery and rads destroyed my right arm and caused lymphedema, nerve damage and I cannot embroider or run that heavy machine anymore. This was at the beginning of this year. He didn't care- he just wanted a worker. Ironically enough- his wife is the head mammo tech and breast cancer cheerleader at the local hospital's breast center.

I read the Brophy study about the Canadian women who were working around melting plastics and getting breast cancer left and right. It came out a week after my surgery. T-shirt printing inks are made from liquid plastic. Heated and curing all day. I was NOT going back there. no matter what. When I asked my oncologist about this after the discovery- he said the only factor that definitely caused my cancer was being a girl. Any other circumstances do not matter. Not even heavy chemical vapors. Seems odd? I donated my breasts to science, yet my history or situation wasn't even noted. How are they going to find a cure when they don't give a whit about a cause?

My boss did get violations filed, but since this is Jersey and some bosses are connected- he got word of their impending inspection and made sure to keep the stuff that made the smoke under wraps for the day and he hid anything terrible from them. My former co-worker told me this. His violations were small- but he did get busted for the spot remover which is one of only 8 chemicals that OSHA recognizes as a serious problem. Methylene chloride.

Honestly- I never took an Rx before cancer- and I just don't do well with most medications, or drugs anyway. My children are the same way. The mood stuff just scared me- I had suicidal thoughts, I went batshit crazy on my family one day- sad all the time. That was not me.

I made my own personal changes, went vegan, most everything in my house is now organic and I meditate every day - I feel like I'm on the right path.

Whatever life has in store for me, I know I'll always be ok regardless.

I'm just a Tamoxifen failure.

• aaoaao
    aaoaao Member Posts: 245
    edited November 2013
    Options

Mandala, you also don't know what my life is like either. Try living with Stage IV cancer and you'll realize how crazy and SHORT life can be. You want to know what it's like running from doctor to doctor...that's my life. Always seeking new treatments, new doctors, new drug trials, you'll be surprised at how you find the time when your life depends on it The best time to find the best treatment and the best doctor for you is now before it becomes a race against time. I respect people posting their opinions but when those posts gives misleading information, such as the only maker of Tamoxifen is also a poison producer, I have to speak up. I don't see why you're offended that I said you should find another doctor since you're so unhappy with the one you currently have. You say you don't have time to find one...how much time is your life worth. You say you're not buying the product he's selling, but you are each and every time you see him, because you're not getting the care you should be. All I was saying was that things can never change if we don't make the effort to change them. If I gave you any attitude it was because you said we attacked you just because you posted your opinion. I didn't attack you, I questioned the information you gave. Any thinking person has the right to question information given as fact that isn't true. Tamoxifen wasn't the right choice for you, it isn't for everyone. However, it is a life-saving medication for many women and I want to help people have accurate and unbiased information to make their decisions. I will continue to post any data I find about the positives and negatives of any treatment method and I will continue to question data that appears to be wrong. I'm sorry if you find this offending, but people lives are more important to me. I wish someone would have been less concerned about offending me by telling me things I might not want to hear. Things like, estrogen is produced in fat cells so losing weight lowers your chance of getting a recurrence. I'm sure my doctor felt like saying something but didn't want to OFFEND me by saying I'm too fat and it might kill me someday. As for this discussion with you, I will just agree to disagree because I also have bigger fish to fry. We will probably never see eye to eye...which is okay because we are different people with different experiences. I will wish you and your family the best and I hope any treatment you choose will keep you well.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited November 2013
    Options

Aaoaao, please don't beat yourself up because of weight. It is one factor out there, but not necessarily the one that put you at Stage IV. BC is a crap shoot after all. Personally I think genetics plays the biggest part.

Anyway, I just love your posts. You express so much intelligence and insight. Thank you for all you do to help and enlighten us all!

• aaoaao
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks Yorkiemom. I use to blame myself, it's pretty common when you're dx with breast cancer at any stage. We always ask what did we do or what should we have done. I'd say everyone here probably has felt this way at some point. I pretty much have moved on from that since it just wastes the time I have left with regrets. You are right that who gets breast cancer is a crap shoot. I also agree that genetics probably pays a big part of it. That is why people who never smoke sometimes get lung cancer and some others who smoke like a chimney (my stepfather) never get it. Yes, smoking drastically increases the chances but for others it doesn't seem to play a part in it at all. My mother and my maternal half-sister both had cancer. We tested negative for the BRCA1 and BRCA2 tests. I believe there are other genes involved that just haven't been found yet. Unfortunately, my half-sister just found out that her cancer is now Stage IV too. It could be a coincidence that both she and I would be Stage IV after an initial dx of earlier stage cancer or there could be a link. I think there's probably a link and someday hopefully someone will find all those links. I do want to help others here because I also get help and support here too. I try, not always successfully, to help without sounding scary or preachy. I pray every day that a cure for cancer is found, but until then all we have are our medical teams, our families and friends, and each other here to help guide us and give us strength. For me, my medical team gives me treatments, my family and friends give me love, and you all give me understanding when others don't, We know what this journey is like, those not going through it will never know.

• pupmom
    pupmom Member Posts: 1,032
    edited November 2013
    Options

Aaoaao, sorry to hear about all your family dx'd with the beast. I too have had numerous people in my family dx'd. Not always bc. I had two dear friends, actually one was my DH's friend but I knew him well, who never smoked and died of lung cancer. Very weird. My aunt smoked like a chimney and died of something besides cancer in her 80's. And yes, I've been through the blame game, but am trying to let that all go. Here's hoping so much for a cure!

• MandalaB
    edited November 2013
    Options

I never said I was offended, or attacked at all. I gave my point of view and you didn't like it because it wasn't the same as your situtation. It's ok. No worries. I respect you and I think you kick ass for all the strength you have pouring out of you!

Everyone is different and diversity makes discussions like this one lively ...

• aaoaao
    edited November 2013
    Options

Mandala, I hope we've just had a misunderstanding and can move on from here. This really is and should be a place of support and even hope. I'll admit that I might have gotten my nose out of place and spoke too harshly, I just get too emotional at times. Looking back, I could have said things differently. I realize you are going through a lot too with having cancer and young children. I am sorry for the things you've been through and hope that the future gets better. As for my strength, I think we all here have strength because we need it just to get through this crap, otherwise we'd never get out of bed.

• MandalaB
    edited November 2013
    Options

aaoaao-

Ive been thinking about you all day and just sending you love. We all have pain and anger towards cancer. Every single one of us has our own journey and sooooo fiercely protective of it. and that is totally awesome. Keep it up!!! I lost my dad at 4 months pregnant in March of 2010 from a Stage IV multiple myeloma that kicked his butt for 8 years despite his doctors saying he'd make it 3 years of he was lucky. I am so grateful for the doctors he had that worked so hard to keep him alive- he took thalidomide, revlamid, constant drugs....a huge amount of experimental meds... his heart stopped 4 times after the huge dose of cytoxan he got before his stem cell transplant,,, etc. (if it wasnt for my mom being a paramedic he would be dead) ...Both my mom and dad were stage IV at dx. Mom had Hodgkins, dad had multiple myeloma. Naturally - I went with the same reputable Philly hospital they did. I drive a hour and half for my doctors- i really thought I did my homework going with the same people they did..... For the "reputable" hospital they are affiliated with- they were so great- . But again- I am not at that hospital, I had to settle with the satellite NJ hospital they practice from. Anyone else is my area is awful.

My mom is now an 18 year survivor- my father lived well beyond what conventional medicine said he would. Both supplemented their treatments with good organic food, juices and big nutrition- which sadly is never ever addressed in modern oncology. I wanted my oncologist to be just like them- unfortunatley - my doctor stopped being intrested when my tumors started to shrink.

We as a people spend so much money on stuff- but when it comes to our health- we coupon for food. The building blocks of our bodies.... Nutrition is such a huge part of our bodies and cancer and doctors never acknowledge that . That is a huge part that gets me upset when oncology professionals go about trying to improve our lives as patients- they never address what we put in in our bodies. ever.

right now I'm staring at blood test results that may suggest MDS.

Castor oil? rids the liver of excess estrogen. Kale? kicks butt in providing calcium to degrading bones.... kicking dairy out eliminates the instance of casein protein feeding aflatoxins..... no doctor usually mentions this. & its simple science.

I'm sorry if I seemed adamant against Big Pharm- I'd be dead without the chemo I had to take- I am thankful for the drugs that saved me... but I will always question them as it's just my nature...My family seems to be always that 1-2% that the side effects of drugs affect. I just wish doctors would just listen a little bit better.... and stop turning blind eyes to food and healthy alternatives

• Dyvgrl
    Dyvgrl Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2013
    Options

mandala,

Have you tried to seek out a naturopathic oncologist? I am seeing one on occasion since I have to pay out of pocket for him, but I've been told that because of the affordable care act, insurance now has to cover him. We'll see how this pans out. I'm taking curcumin, broccoli sprout extract, mcp, bioperine, Vit D and B12 to help keep cancer at bay. I also take Metformin to control my blood sugar, and it just so happens to kill cancer stem cells. I also eat clean, I only use organic soaps and cosmetics. I do yoga. All of these things have made me feel like a whole new person again. It's amazing how good I feel. I did 6 rounds of chemo, 4 AC and 2 Taxol and just didn't want to finish. Am trying to get a PET scan to see if there is any evidence of cancer. We'll see but I do think what I'm doing is a good thing...

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited April 2015
    Options

Dyvgrl ~ I also see a naturopthic oncologist; where can I find out more information regarding the "affordable care act" that you mention above?

• MandalaB
    edited November 2013
    Options

would you believe I went back to my oncologist today for my 1 year check- I was all prepared to just lay it out and stand my ground.

He asked how life on Tamoxifen was- and I told him I chucked it in June. He finally acknowledged the suicidal thoughts, and other problems on it. Said the hormones to my brain were being blocked and it didn't sound like a good thing to keep going on it. He offered the shot to induce menopause but I said no.

and HE WAS OK with it. And then he asked "How's your diet? are you doing anything different?" I swear to God he was reading these boards last night. lol. He was completely fine with my vegan and all raw diet (I don't even eat cooked food)- cool with my protein choices of chia seeds, spirulina and other stuff- and listened to me without rolling his eyes. I honestly think the nurse he was practicing alongside who left the practice was the problem. He was like a different guy. What a freaking releif.

He also acknowledged the future risk of MDS being I worked in that environment as well.

Because my period is back and somewhat regular, and I refused the meds- I just have to get blood tested every 3 months.

"we are going to watch you like a hawk".....

So happy. soooooo happy.

and all my tests came back clear besides bone degeneration in my knee. immensely grateful.

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited November 2013
    Options

Mandala, that is good. What is MDS?

• deborah-smith
    deborah-smith Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2013
    Options

My daughter, 42, did not take Tamoxifen because she hear what an unpleasant experience it was. I so wish she would have and so wish I would have pushed it more ... she died last summer. She wished she would have taken Tamoxifn when it was too late.

• Momine
    edited November 2013
    Options

Deborah, I am sorry for your loss. One of my motivations for doing aggressive treatment was to outlive my mother.

• peacestrength
    peacestrength Member Posts: 236
    edited November 2013
    Options

Deborah, thanks for sharing and sorry about your daughter.   

Like Momine, I am choosing aggressive treatment - for my child, for my husband, for me - to suvive. My grandmother died of bc in 96', my aunt had it at 30 and now 72 years old, my cousin had it at 27 in 6 lymph nodes and just turned 50. 

My cancer was missed due to breast density and am doing ALL treatments.

• aaoaao
    edited November 2013
    Options

Deborah, I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter. It is possible that it wouldn't have made a difference so try not to beat yourself up too much. However, I still say for most people Tamoxifen is the way to go. People should at least try it before assuming the side effects would be too much. Plus if Tamoxifen doesn't work out there are other anti-hormonals that should be tried too. If the cancer comes back you'll always be asking "what if?" I still can't believe someone would go through surgery, radiation, and chemo and then run away from anti-hormonals without even trying them just based on another person's experience. Chemo affects people differently and so does drugs like Taxmoxifen. I had very few side effects while others had more. I still recommend people try them, give the side effects time to level off (they often do), and talk to the doctor to see if there are ways to resolved the most severe side effects. The longer you can stay on them the better you'll be. Once you've done all this and if the side effects are still debilitating, then give them up. At least you'll know you did the best you could do. Of course this is the way I feel, everyone is entitled to feel differently. I'm just saying that when you get to Stage IV, there is no going back and redoing anything. Just like Deborah and her daughter, you'll wonder if things would have been different if you at least tried. That decision will live with you for as long as you live...and being Stage IV that time is short and filled with medical treatments that really beats you up. Again, this isn't to scare anyone but to help everyone understand just how deadly this disease can be.

• aaoaao
    edited November 2013
    Options

I also want to add that some people will say that they know someone who went the natural route, instead of doing the anti-hormonals, and the cancer never came back. That doesn't mean the natural route worked, some people's cancer will never come back either way. Authentic and numerous studies have demonstrated that anti-hormonals greatly benefit women in preventing recurrence. For me, I wouldn't take the success story of a few people over scientific proof which studied thousands of people. Of course, this is just my opinion. Please understand that I'm not anti-natural, I've incorporated some natural methods to strengthen my system but I also use proven medical methods too. I figure, why limit yourself to one or the other, I believe in a combined fight against cancer.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2013
    Options

I'm really feeling a little guilty now, listening to all of you gals. Now I'm thinking of going back on Aromasin after being off for so long. I just so dread these SE's though.Sad I'm going to have to confess to my onc I went off AI's since last January. One thing that makes me feel it wouldn't matter so much if I skipped the Aromasin is that my cancer was only grade 1.

• aaoaao
    edited November 2013
    Options

BlondiShanagirl, I can't tell you what to do because only you know how the side effects affected you. Your cancer seems to be a mixed bag. Yes, the grade is only 1 which means the tumor was less aggressive and slow growing. However, you had tumor cells in 2 lymph nodes. The grade of the tumor is good news but the fact that the cancer cells migrated beyond the breast is a concern. There is a greater chance of recurrence when cancer cells have invaded the lymph system. Also being Stage IIIA means that your tumor was larger than Stage I or II, again a poorer prognosis. I've posted a site that gives a little more detail about breast cancer staging. Unfortunately, there are women who were grade 1 that had a recurrence. It is less likely to happen but it does occur. I was only Stage IIb and grade 2 when my cancer recurred. So I was kind of in the middle of the pack in recurrence prediction. I only had a very small tumor, not even seen on my MRIs, in one of my lymph nodes. But I guess some of the cancer bugs still got into my blood stream. As I said, you diagnosis is a mixed bag..some good and some not so good. You have to decide for yourself what is the best path for you. Since the cancer was in the lymph nodes the chance that some cells may have spread beyond the lymph system is higher, but because of the grade it is slow growing. I wish the best for you and hope you never have to experience this disease ever again whatever way you decide to go.

http://www.mybreastcancertreatment.org/en-US/UnderstandingBreastCancer/BreastCancerBasics.aspx#.Uo0bmFIwBqE

• aaoaao
    edited November 2013
    Options

I do want to add that if it were me, I do the anti-hormonals. Given the size of the tumor and the lymph node involvement, I'd feel safer trying to fight this disease more aggressively. However, I didn't have major side effects so it makes my decision easier. Did you try talking to your MO about your SEs? Maybe he could try a different med or give you something to help with some of the SEs. However, you really should make your decision based on your own experience and the advice of you MO. I'd have a candid discussion with your MO about your needs and how risky he/she feels your path may be.

• Dyvgrl
    edited November 2013
    Options

Affordable Care Act - http://theintegratorblog.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=658&Itemid=189%22

Here are some sections relating to alternative and integrative medicine. Doesn't mean insurance will totally follow it - we'll see how things play out. I'm trying to decide between Only Preferred Providers - or Preferred / Non Preferred. Difference is about $150 a pay period - plus a $500 deductible - but then I get to choose who my provider is. So far, it hasn't been an issue except my ND. Now that I'm no longer in active treatment, I will need to see him more often and he is not covered. So trying to figure out which plan to get and whether or not he'll be covered under either one. All my other docs are preferred so it's not an issue. My catastrophic cap went up to $7000 from $5000 so I'll be meeting that cap as well. Ugh!!

• MandalaB
    edited November 2013
    Options

I'm also taking Rick Simpson's oil (you can google it). I'm not just living off fruits and veggies. Scientific studies have shows this destroys the tumors themselves in estrogen positive cancer and some mets- not just the hormone receptors. That's my big gun. It is expensive and I cannot get it all the time- but I do when I can, as often as I can. This has also helped immensely with the bone pain Tamoxifen and Taxol caused, I sleep for a change and I'm not a crab ass around my family.

science and medical evidence that it also works......::

I just cannot take drugs without awful effects- it's not for me.

• aaoaao
    edited November 2013
    Options

As I stated before, some people cannot take anti-hormonals due to severe side efffects and they shouldn't take them. However, if the side effects are not debilitating, many years of human-based evidence shows they provide a significant benefit. I do believe there are natural remedies that can be used in conjunction with conventional treatment methods or in place of conventional methods if they simply cannot be used.

However, I feel the need to clarify information on the evidence provided.

First, the evidence provided is scientific evidence but not medical evidence as stated. It is based solely on scientific, lab-based research. No medical tests were actually performed. For data to be medically based it would need to be study in a medical treatment arena. It would need to be given to live human subjects by researchers who then follow them for a specified period of time under a specified protocol.

Second, none of the studies involved actual live human beings. Almost all of the studies you listed were based on mouse models. In addition, one study was performed only on HER2+ mice tumors.

Third, the only study that involved human tumors, (however, no live human studies were performed) were samples sent from labs, was the study from 1998. It also stated more studies would be needed to verify results. Are any more recent studies from these researchers available? Often if no further studies are available it's because of one or more of the following reasons: the researchers never did further studies, further studies were done but evidence was inconclusive or didn't support the original hypothesis and thus no additional data was reported.

As quoted in the first study, provided as evidence, one of the researchers' stated: "The results have the potential to lead to the development of novel non-toxic compounds for the treatment of breast cancer metastasis, and the information gained from these experiments broaden our knowledge of both Id-1 and cannabinoid biology as it pertains to cancer progression." The researchers do NOT make the recommendation that cannabinoid treatments should replace the use of anti-hormonals for the current treatment of breast cancer. In fact, not one of the studies listed advocated the use of cannabinoids over the use of anti-hormonals. These studies are looking at cannabinoids as possibly another treatment method not necessarily as a replacement treatment method. Just as anti-hormonals were developed as another treatment method to supplement chemotherapy or to be used alone.

• aaoaao
    edited November 2013
    Options

A good site for information on cannabinoids is the following:

http://scienceblog.cancerresearchuk.org/2012/07/25/cannabis-cannabinoids-and-cancer-the-evidence-so-far/

Its information is provided in a user friendly format and seems to be unbiased.

Special care must also be taken what form of cannabinoid is being used. Marijuana in almost all states is illegal and synthetic cannabinoids are very dangerous. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/11/synthetic-marijuana_n_3908171.html

http://www.aapcc.org/alerts/synthetic-marijuana/

Also please note there are side effects from using cannabinoids. Two sites that detail the side effects are:

http://www.doping-prevention.sp.tum.de/substances-and-methods/cannabinoids/side-effects.html

http://www.cam-cancer.org/CAM-Summaries/Herbal-products/Cannabinoids/Is-it-safe

Please note that the second site is an alternative medicine for cancer website and they list the following information:

Central nervous adverse effects comprise alteration of mood (euphoria as well as dysphoria), depression, anxiety and paranoia, sensation of depersonalisation, hallucinations, drowsiness, muddled thinking, loss of coordination/ataxia, blurred vision and dizziness. These problems are common among patients receiving cannabinoid treatment with an incidence of about 50% for dizziness, 50% for drowsiness/somnolence/sedation, 13% for dysphoria/depression, 6% for hallucinations and 5% for paranoia.

Cardiovascular adverse effects are also regularly observed, such as hypotension (ca. 25%) and reactive or paroxysmal tachycardia. Cases of cardiac and cerebral ischemia associated with cannabis consumption have been reported. In addition, patients frequently complain of dry mouth.

Patients with long-term intake of cannabinoids may develop tolerance as well for the psychoactive as for the cardiovascular side effects. Long-term intake of cannabinoids should therefore not be stopped abruptly. (My note. If you're a long term user you will need to be weaned off if you choose to stop)

Cannabinoids can change DNA synthesis and cell reproduction in vitro, but there is no evidence of mutagenic effects or of long-term carcinogenicity of orally administered cannabinoids.

• Momine
    edited November 2013
    Options

I have a relative who is very into the curative powers of cannabis, Rick Simpson oil specifically. As a result I listened to some of Simpson's interviews. As far as I could understand the cancer he cured with the famous oil was a skin cancer, the least dangerous kind (basal cell, I think).

I happen to think that cannabis may well hold some promise and it is certainly useful for many patients for pain relief, sleep and putting on some weight. However, its cancer killing potential still needs significant research, as far as I can see.

Additionally, Rick Simpson oil is another one of these alternative treatments, which are claimed to cure a long list of ills. According to my relative that is because it can cure anything, as long as you ask properly - IOW, some sort of mind over matter idea. My cranky self can't help but think that if the asking is the key, I should be able to do the same thing with an aspirin.

• aaoaao
    edited November 2013
    Options

Momine, you are absolutely correct that marijuana does help people with pain, sleep and appetite issues. I also agree with your assessment of Simpson's oil. There may be a substance in it that can help in the fight against cancer. However, none have been proven. My concern is that marijuana has been around and used by millions of people for decades, yet no one can prove it cures cancer. Where are the long-term clinical studies used by human subjects indicating the cancer fighting benefits of it? Let's just say there are also people who had cancer who have died while enjoying the benefits of marijuana. Yes, there are currently studies being done that hopefully will show cannabinoids have great cancer fighting properties and can safely be added to our arsenal of weapons against this disease. Until then I'd continue to use the medications that have been studied over decades and proven to be effective in helping to prevent a recurrence.

My concern about the current use of marijuana in the treatment of breast cancer are:

1. It's illegal. Please believe me I'm not anti-marijuana. I will admit I don't drink alcohol, or smoke (cigarettes and marijuana). However, I have know people who have smoked it. I personally don't see it as any more dangerous than cigarettes or alcohol. Alcohol also can affect people's moods like marijuana does. However, alcohol and marijuana can, in some people, have health benefits. In my opinion, cigarettes have no health benefits that can possibly out weight the damage they do. So I don't see marijuana as this big dangerous monster. But it still is ILLEGAL in most states and ILLEGAL under federal law (so far the feds look the other way in states allowing it). Going to jail while trying to fight cancer isn't ideal for your health under any circumstance.

2. The way it's currently manufactured is unregulated and could be dangerous. Unless you grow your own (again illegal), you are buying a product that may have been handled in unsafe ways. Most people would not buy their medications from someone off the street or ordered by other methods that haven't been inspected.

3. There are various types of marijuana and it's by products, such as Rick Simpson's Oil. Which ones are the most effective and at what dosage/amount/quantitiy? That can't be answered because it hasn't been adequately tested. So you can't even determine how much or what type works. It's basically a crap shoot. Do you smoke one joint or ten, use one teaspoon of oil or half a bottle? No one can safely answer that question with any kind of verifiable proof. So even if marijuana does help fight cancer, you don't know how much you need to use and that can be dangerous. Too little and your cancer continues to grow and too much you can have greater levels of side effects. Yes, marijuana like any drug has side effects and some can be pretty severe.

So until marijuana (or one of it's derivatives) can be legally produced in a regulated environment with a dosage amount that has been studied to be effective, I will continue to use and recommend anti-hormonals as the best way to fight breast cancer.

• Dyvgrl
    edited November 2013
    Options

marijuana isn't being heavily studied because there's no money in it. Every researcher will tell you they go where the grant money is. Grant money comes from big Pharma. Bottom line, cancer treatment is a cash cow and we are the victims of the system. There is a team at a Ca University that had been trying to get funding for human studies on CBD treatments for breast cancer for years and can't get enough money. Guess what. Big Pharma won't fund it because the return on investment isn't there. There are plenty of natural treatments not being studied because they can't monopolize the compounds. Everyone has to do the best they can and make the best choices for themselves.