Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Estrogen Blockers ??? Take it or dont take it ?????

Options

Comments

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    edited November 2013
    Options

Dyvgrl, with all due respect, that is simply not so. There is a large class of drugs, taxanes, used in breast cancer treatment. They were originally derived from a tree bark. Even if cannabis proved useful, there would be a role for the pharmaceutical companies, because you would need specific and reliable doses.

Besides, there have been studies done on cannabis. Those researchers must have gotten money from somewhere.

• jojo68
    jojo68 Member Posts: 336
    edited November 2013
    Options

Agree with Dvgrl..

Momine, do you have the studies done on cannabis?

• lisa137
    lisa137 Member Posts: 32
    edited November 2013
    Options

@aaoaao - I am only beginning this journey, and I start chemo on Monday, but I tell you this:

I am going to bookmark this thread. I may even put a shortcut to this thread on my computer desktop.

I am going to do this because sometimes I know that I am a complete wimp. I have anxiety issues, I freak out, I get scared, etc,. and if I feel sorry for myself I even pout and get as petulant as a stubborn child.

And while I'm on chemo, and then radiation, and then whichever option(s) I go with after that (for 10 years my onc says) I know that there are going to be times--maybe lots of them-- when I say "This sucks too much. I can't do this. I quit."

And when those times come I'm going to come to this thread---in fact, I'm going to give the link to it to my husband in case he has to drag me here kicking and screaming, or so he can print it out and read it to me even while I stick my fingers in my ears and go LALALALA--I'm going to come to this thread one way or the other and read, and probably re-read your words of wisdom.

I may need to do this so many times that I *memorize* your words, but I'm going to do it, and then I'm going to keep going. No matter what.

THIS is truly what it means to be an "inspiration," and if my life winds up saved, I believe I'll owe just as much to do you as I do to the doctors and drugs.

Thank you. From the very bottom of my heart, THANK YOU.

• aaoaao
    aaoaao Member Posts: 245
    edited November 2013
    Options

I've stated that each person needs to choose the path that is best for them. However, I also feel that people need to be given accurate information with all the pros and cons outlined. I will continue to clarify information that I feel could be misleading or at least give the other side of the story. I will also continue to give my opinion if I think it will help someone as I hope others will do.

As for the profitability of curing cancer with marijuana, in my opinion, money can be found in it. I'm sure there are already companies that would love to legally produce marijuana, similar to cigs and alcohol, because there is already a large market for it. I've always found that where there's money to be made, big business finds a way. I'm sure a way could be found to patent and regulate the production of marijuana. Governments would love to be able to tax it again similar to the large taxes imposed on alcohol and cigarettes (if they can get around people who oppose it based on it being a drug, proving it cures cancer would probably do that). People might argue that someone can grow their own marijuana so why would they buy it. Well, people can produce their own beer and wine, but that doesn't stop alcohol from being a huge and quite successful business for many companies. So yes, I believe, there is a profitable product model for marijuana and companies will eventually get around the legality issue.

As for big Pharma funding research and ignoring natural alternatives, that may be true. However, there are other grants for cancer research that isn't big Pharma funded. I agree the funds may not be as large but they do exist. Plus there are studies currently underway that are looking at the effects of cannabinoids on cancer. One example is Cancer Research UK, has both funded research and assisted in funding of research looking into the effects of cannabinoids on cancer. According to the website posted earlier, they are indirectly supporting an early stage clinical trial of the cannabinoid drug dexanbinol in patients with advanced stage cancer through funding of the ECMC Network, together with the devolved UK Departments of Health. Please note that this is a clinical trial, although in it's early stage, not just at a mouse model level study. There are probably other studies underway that I'm not aware of.

I just want to be clear that I believe there are medical benefits from the use of marijuana, I actually support the legalization of it. As I said earlier, I believe cigarettes are much worse than either liquor or marijuana and they are legal. However, for now it can be dangerous to use marijuana (especially as the only cancer treatment being used) due to the reasons I stated previously. I choose to rely on legal, medically approved and regulated medication to fight my cancer. Everyone is different and must make their own choices but I think discussing the pros and cons is productive in helping everyone make those choices. I absolutely hope and pray that everyone here has the treatment that cures their cancer, no matter their stage. If I had my way no one would ever again suffer or die from this disease and any treatment that does that I'd celebrate wholeheartedly.

I do want to add that there are organizations that are pushing for the legalization of marijuana in all states. Hopefully, this will make the study of health benefits of marijuana easier for researchers and physicians. However, I won't list any of those organizations, most ask for donations, and since I don't have resources to thoroughly research each and every one of them, I'll leave that up to anyone here that is interested to do themselves.

• jojo68
    edited November 2013
    Options

I would much rather take the original Pacific Yew herb than a synthesized Yew chemical from Pharma.

Early research using paclitaxel was limited due to difficulties in obtaining sufficient quantities of the drug. The amount of paclitaxel in yew bark is small, and extracting it is a complicated and expensive process. In addition, bark collection is restricted because the Pacific yew is a limited resource located in forests that are home to the endangered spotted owl.

As demand for paclitaxel grew, NCI, in collaboration with other government agencies and the pharmaceutical company Bristol-Myers Squibb, worked to increase the availability and find other sources of paclitaxel besides the bark of the Pacific yew tree. This work led to the production of a semi-synthetic form of paclitaxel which is prepared from precursor chemicals called baccatins. These chemicals were derived from the needles and twigs of the European or Himalayan yew tree (Taxus bacatta), which is a renewable resource. The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved the semi-synthetic form of paclitaxel for use with cancer patients in the spring of 1995. This form of paclitaxel has now replaced the drug derived from the bark of the Pacific yew tree.

http://benchmarks.cancer.gov/2002/12/taxanes-and-platinum-drugs-in-cancer-treatment/

• Dyvgrl
    Dyvgrl Member Posts: 9
    edited November 2013
    Options

aaoaao,

I agree using marijuana as your only cancer treatment is dangerous as Is using ANY single treatment. We have to use several different attacks to kill this beast and each person has to choose which options to go with. I really wish we had better choices but we do what we can with what we've got. I had an mx, 6 rounds of chemo, and am using several natural supplements under the guidance of my onc. I'm eating very clean, exercising, and losing weight. I will monitor my body closely, and if there is any evidence of disease later on, I will change tactics. I'm considering hormone therapy but at this point I'm holding off to see how my naturopath feels about it. I will be having my hysterectomy / oopherectomy in a few months so we'll see how things go from there. It's a challenge to stay ahead of it but I will fight with all I have!

• jojo68
    edited November 2013
    Options

http://www.yewconservation.org/YewCon/YewCon_YewsTaxol.html

Because the compound then named taxol was identified by a publicly funded agency, it could not be patented (although the name later was). In order to interest pharmaceutical companies in its development, the NCI, via a competitive process, awarded Bristol Myers Squibb (BMS) exclusive rights to harvest yew bark on federal forest lands in the Pacific Northwest.

I am sure 'patenting' and being able to make sufficient money off of any herb is the driving force/

• Fallleaves
    Fallleaves Member Posts: 134
    edited November 2013
    Options

aaoaao--I think many off the side effects of marijuana that you listed are associated with the THC component of marijuana, not the cannabidiol component.

I have actually been thinking of trying cannabidiol. Luckily I am moving to Washington state, where marijuana is legal (that's not the reason I'm moving there!) I am one who is not going the tamoxifen route, either.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,226
    edited November 2013
    Options

jojo - here is some study info on marijuana/cannabinoids and cancer. The last two cites you need to google - they were pdf.

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/cam/cannabis/patient/page2

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20859676

http://www.molecular-cancer.com/content/9/1/196

Proc. Nat'l. Acad. Sci. USA Vol. 95, pp. 8375-8380, Jul 1998 The Endogenous Cannabinoid Anandamide Inhibits Human Breast Cancer Cell Proliferation.

The Journal of Pharmacology and Experimental Therapeutics, JPET Fast Forward, Pub. May 25, 2006

DOI: 10.1124/jpet.106.105247 Anti-tumor Activity of Plant Cannabinoids with Emphasis on the Effect of Cannabidiol on Human Breast Carcinoma.

• jojo68
    edited November 2013
    Options

Thanks for the info!  I will take a peek!

• specialk
    edited November 2013
    Options

Sorry about the crazy font thing! I can't make it go away!

• aaoaao
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hey I agree. Try as many treatments that you feel will help you fight this beast. I believe that the best way to beat breast cancer is to use a combination approach. I also use natural remedies with conventional ones. You wouldn't believe the peppers my son encourages me to eat because it's suppose to help fight cancer cells. I've also substantially reduced my sugar intake from before. These are just a couple of the changes I've made. I'm just always suspicious when one method claims to be the only safe and effective method for curing or treating cancer. I truly hope that all states and our federal government recognizes that marijuana can have some benefit and legalizes it. My argument, to people I talk to who are against the legalization of it, is that if cigarettes are legal than there's no reason behind not passing laws to allow marijuana. Cigarettes have so many toxic chemicals, and have been proven to cause lung cancer, that how they're not illegal stumps me. Oh wait, I remember now...big business and government taxes. I do expect that in time, hopefully not too in the distant future, that marijuana will be legal in the United States entirely. I do have a niece who will be moving to Colorado next June with her family. Of course, she claims it's for the job opportunities (she's an apprentice cake decorator) not the legalization of marijuana...wink..wink. I believe that, those of us who believe marijuana should be legalized, should continue to push our representatives to do so.

• aaoaao
    edited November 2013
    Options

I'd like to add as a personal note, I know some of my family members..i.e. my niece are "probably" marijuana users. I also have a nephew who is a police officer. Makes for some interesting family get-togethers. Luckily they're few and far between when everyone comes. I don't know what my nephew's view is on the legalization of marijuana (I get the feeling he also doesn't see it as a big monster) but he has to enforce the law either way. So I have a true balancing act..I respect that my nephew needs to do his job but I also feel that as "crimes" go using marijuana is the least of our worries. I just feel that more efforts should be made in stopping violent crimes. I'm also an animal lover, so I believe that someone who abuses/neglects an animal should be given more time than someone who smoked a joint. I won't even begin about my feelings on people who drive while under the influence. Again these are my opinions..for whatever they're worth..maybe not a lot.

Edited to add: I've been up for 2 straight days, the effects of taking too much cold medicine and sleeping too much previously. So I apologize for the long posts...I liken it to electronic nonstop talking. I'm going to TRY to sleep. Goodnight everyone?

• Momine
    edited November 2013
    Options

Jojo, taxanes are widely used and available, that is the main point in all this. Many, many drugs have started from plant origins.

• specialk
    edited November 2013
    Options

momine - some of what you linked there is also in my post above - thanks for making them actual links, I was having computer issues!

• sloyd66
    sloyd66 Member Posts: 51
    edited November 2013
    Options

Hi Butterflylady, that is my concern, how do you know if this stuff is working for you, until the end.

• MandalaB
    MandalaB Member Posts: 52
    edited November 2013
    Options

When you have personally known the maker of my oil for 20 years and interviewed them heavily on their process, rather than buying it blindly or off the street- it is an advantage. It is also very difficult to "just get it anywhere" if you want the real medical stuff. You'll have to find someone whose state government says it's ok for them to make it. It is legal in may states for medical preparation. And caregivers are given licenses to make tinctures and things for patients. I know what chemistry is involved in extracting it and made very sure they weren't using the usual solvents the RS oil is. I do not smoke it. And the relief is better than any painkiller I have taken. And I do not get high at all. I just feel better for a change. Big difference.

I have yet to have a side effect that wasn't hunger, pain relief of sleep. All my doctors know I do this.

Why the "criminal" stigma? I have a lot of police in my family and not one of them agrees with throwing non violent drug offenders in prison. They know what I do too. They all stand behind my decision without judgement. God put this plant here for a reason, just as the yew tree and the willow tree and the other trees and bushes where medicine comes from. Problem is you cannot patent a plant. So there is the issue as to why nobody is getting to hear the actual benefits... Society has been brainwashed into thinking its the devils weed. It has saved many a life.

• gentianviolet
    gentianviolet Member Posts: 105
    edited November 2013
    Options

MandalaB - I have been on Tamoxifen for the last four years and have found that the medically produced marijuana tincture that I rub on my hips has been the only thing that reduces the pain. I did not want opiates that my onc was more than willing to write a script for and when he saw how the tincture helped me, he was in awe. Yet, I had the feeling he thought it was all in my mind even though I assured him that the CBD tincture was for pain and had very little THC in it.

• Scarlett999
    Scarlett999 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2015
    Options

Can anyone tell me what exactly happened to you when you took Femara or Arimidex? I am 66 and am worried that I will lose my skin softness and total sex drive ( I was still young looking when I was diagnosed a year ago). That I will age a lot. My doctors say that I NEED to take it as my particular kind of cancer will likely return if i do not. Thank you

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I have been on Arimidex for almost 2 years and was told by UCLA that I will stay on it for life. My side effects were a bit of joint pain and a few other things that get mostly resolved when I move around and/or exercise. No major impact on the skin or sex drive. Can you describe your type of cancer by completing your profile? You will get responses from women with very similar profiles if you do. That will make for a better comparison. Good luck whichever way you go. Nisa
  • Momine
    edited September 2015
    Options

Scarlett, the AIs block your body from converting the testosterone produced by your adrenals into estrogen. At least for me, this means that I have a fair bit of testosterone in my system, which means that my sex drive is just fine.

I am younger than you (52) and I was DXed at 47, when I was still menstruating normally. So, for me cancer treatment meant first chemical menopause, then surgical menopause with an AI for good measure. It was a big adjustment, and I did have 6 months where I didn't feel so hot (or rather, I was freaking hot all the time :D ), but I am told that I look better than ever, so I really don't think it is a given that the AI will mess you up. The ARE side effects, obviously, and some are very annoying, but on balance I really have not found it too awful.

• jeanherbert0821
    jeanherbert0821 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2016
    Options

where do you get Rick Simpson's oil please? doesn't it have to be organic??

• MindaR
    MindaR Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2017
    Options

am taking anastrozole not happy with it

I feel all different joint pain I know like to stop taking it and want to know if anybody has stopped taking it and taking nothing. Had anybody had a recurrence I had stage 1

• NisaVilla
    NisaVilla Member Posts: 505
    edited April 2017
    Options
    MindaR - this is a very quiet thread, I had no idea I was still on it. Glad I can respond. I had one friend who was stage one and stopped taking it and had a bone recurrence and new problems from then on. I also have another friend who stopped taking it after only 2 months, and has zero problems. In other words, no one knows who gets unlucky, and even when taking this med religiously you can still develop a recurrence. How long have you been on it? I know side effects usually appear early on in treatment and get better over time, especially if you try to move/walk/exercise which has shown to help patients on this medication.
  • gardengypsy
    gardengypsy Member Posts: 499
    edited April 2017
    Options

Minda~ For those of us who'd like to respond to your questions, it's helpful for us to see your health information.

There are other AIs, and then there is Tamoxifen. I have found T to be doable. To help with the side effects, I use supplements such as Turmeric. I also use Lexapro, an anti-depressant, to help with the hotflashes.

• dtad
    dtad Member Posts: 771
    edited April 2017
    Options

MindaR....Hi there. I refused anti hormone therapy from the start due to a pre existing autoimmune disease. Its been 2 years and so far so good. I'm certainly not advocating this for everyone. It was just right for me. Good luck to all.

• beth1965
    beth1965 Member Posts: 203
    edited April 2017
    Options

There is more than one to try dont give up right away

I had to go through a few before found something tolerable. First one gave me blood clots in legs and lungs then had needles then anastrazole . My body fought it all the way and did not want to go into menopause but it finally gave in it took almost a year to go into menopause.. I am on for life as I am high risk for reoccurrence.

I am 95% estrogen positive and am quite positive they say this is what has kept me alive as well as treatment I agree

• CCtoo
    CCtoo Member Posts: 12
    edited October 2017
    Options

Why after all the cancer treatment, to prevent recurrence, does cancer always seem to come back???!!!

• wonderingcancersurvivor
    wonderingcancersurvivor Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2018
    Options

My question is. If I choose not to take the Arimidex, and the cancer comes back, how do they know? Does it metastisize somewhere else, or go to my chest? I had 2 stage breast cancer with no lymph nodes, no HER2. Did 6 rounds of chemo only. I don't want to take the pill. or the Prolia either. Im very active and want to stay that way. I have read a lot here and it sounds like you get old fast with a estrogen inhibitor.

Also, I went through menapause a long time ago with very little problems. (I'm 65) was through menapause at 55 years old. Wouldn't you think I don't have much estrogen now at all. So if I take the Arimidex it will take whats left. Then what happens to me?