Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Birad 4

Options
2»

Comments

• DiannaA
    DiannaA Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    Options

thank you all so much for posting.  I am 43, no family history.  My routine mammogram showed microcalcifications had slightly increased in number (I was unaware they had ever seen them on prior mammograms).  Went for a magnified view, and the radiologist told me they just couldn't tell if it was cancer or not, 50/50 chance in his opinion, "he just didn't know which way this is going to go". birad 4b.  I'm FREAKING out, stertatic biopsy next week.  Your stories help me to remember there is a decent chance this is nothing.  I have hopes that if it is something,I have caught it early.  I will now go back to trying  not to google anymore.

• marie5890
    marie5890 Member Posts: 111
    edited December 2013
    Options

Dianna,

Hello and welcome~

Nothing you posted is screaming cancer. Microcals are EXTREMELY common and are not usually cancer.

Because the has been an increased in their number, it is prudent to have a biopsy to see if it may have anything to do with cancer. Most likely, it does NOT have anything to do with cancer.

If, and I stress *IF* it does have to do with cancer, its very very early stage. 

So, one step at a time. The waiting can be brutal and DONT TURN TO DR GOOGLE. You need the microscope to tell you what it is, not the internet…

Hang in there and let us know how it goes

• Chyanne
    Chyanne Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    Options

hi Dianna. I am also 43 and awaiting a biopsy.  I am so scared and would love to talk to you more. I'm having such a hard time coping.

• marie5890
    edited December 2013
    Options

Chyanne, Hello and welcome.

The waiting is hard and it causes our minds to go to dark places.

1) Do NOT google. It will just scare you more.

2) I read your posts. Know this. Most biopsies come back B9. It's hard to give you any more information than that based on the few posts you have written as they contain very little information.

A doctor requesting a biopsy does not necessarily mean they think you have cancer. 

• beesie.is.out-of-office
    beesie.is.out-of-office Member Posts: 1,435
    edited December 2013
    Options

Just to add to what Marie said, most often doctors and radiologists recommend that a biopsy be done not because they expect to find cancer, but because they want to rule out cancer. 

Many more biopsies are benign than malignant, and breast screening protocol indicates that a biopsy should be ordered when the radiologist or doctor assesses there to even just a 2% (or anything greater) risk that the imaging might be showing cancer.

• Chyanne
    Chyanne Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2013
    Options

hi Marie. I'm sorry. I haven't slept much this past week and have not been able to eat. I'm apologize for not giving more information.  I'm just so scared. I had a routine mammogram and 2 weeks later received a letter in the mail. I went back for a second mammogram of both breasts and an ultrasound.  At first ..The US tech said it looked like a cyst to her..but then I think she changed her mind while doing the US. All I know is now I am waiting to get in for a fine needle biopsy and I have extremely dense breast tissue. I am 43 and in otherwise good health. Never smoked and not a drinker. I have 3 children.  I have one aunt who was diagnosed with breast cancer after taking HRT...other than that no breast cancer in family.  It's 1.5cm and birad4

• Star13
    Star13 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2013
    Options

Hi DiannaA... I have a stereotactic biopsy scheduled next week due to increased cluster of calcifications on 6 month follow up. I am scared  and also find it extremely difficult to stay off the Internet . All I know is I received a BIRAD 4 no A,B,C was given, just got a call from my breast surgeon saying I MUST get a biopsy it can't wait for a follow up mammo again.

• marie5890
    edited December 2013
    Options

Chyanne, the waiting is hard.

Just because they are having a biopsy done doesn't mean they think it's cancer. And don't read anything into how the tech looked or even the radiologist.

I believe you mentioned that you are pre-disposed to anxiety and panic. Having a biopsy done certainly is a trigger for that.

Hang on. Keep breathing deeply. Stay off Dr Google. Only a pathologist who will look at the biopsy under a microscope can tell you what it is.

This is something many women don't know. There are MANY MANY MANY things that can go on with our breasts, and most have nothing to do with cancer. Nothing. 

• wrencrow
    wrencrow Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    Options

My mammo came back as Birads 4 and I had a stereotactic biopsy last week.  I'm waiting for results and praying for the best.  I am glad I went on with the biopsy so I don't keep wondering.  The biopsy was actually a piece of cake and I took a couple of days off work to relax.  I'll just be glad when I finally here a diagnosis, it should be any time now.

• PistolMama
    PistolMama Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hoping for b9 results for you wrencrow! I have my stereotactic biopsy this Wednesday, so hoping for good results too! :)

Edited to add I am a category BI-RADS 4b.

• VanillaPudding
    VanillaPudding Member Posts: 4
    edited May 2015
    Options

Hello Ladies,

I have had a Birads 4 rating 3 times.  All biopsied and were B9.  Looking at number 4 possibly due to new findings on US and "bad" lymph node.  Hoping this trend continues.  I have accepted that I just have very busy breasts.  The constant worry every 6 months, for 4 years is stressful.  Had my Mammo and US last Tuesday, and results are in but my PCP is out of town until next week so I am still waiting for results.  Grrrr.  I work across the hall from the Imaging Center I go to so every day is a constant reminder of what could be.  Hoping the weekend goes fast. 

• Lisa123456
    Lisa123456 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2016
    Options

I also had BIRADs 4b after my first ever mammo, and despite all favorable statistics and me being relatively young with no risk factors, it didn't turned out benign -- it was LCIS on CNB. Then, when the BS signed me up for a high-risk program and ordered what he thought would be a baseline MRI, it came back as BIRADs 4a in my other, "good" breast. I'm having a CNB next week, only this time I know better and prepare for the worst.

• Wicked
    Wicked Member Posts: 27
    edited July 2016
    Options

Lisa, I was just diagnosed with LCIS in both breasts and had two lumpectomies, one in each, on Tuesday. Won't get pathology back until 8/9/16. LCIS is usually bilateral, so don't be too shocked if it's in the other breast too.

• Lisa123456
    Lisa123456 Member Posts: 4
    edited July 2016
    Options

Thanks for responding, Wicked. I'm aware that LCIS is often bilateral. I'm, actually, afraid of an ILC dx because who knows for how long I had my LCIS. It might have had plenty of time to cook something invasive. The MRI showed "distortion", which is how 25% or so of ILCs get detected.

Good luck with your pathology - I hope they don't find anything other than LCIS. It's so hard to take your mind off that stuff while waiting for results, isn't it?

• Mskarr
    Mskarr Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2017
    Options

I’m new here and my mother is a 2 year survivor of breast cancer. Well I waited 3 years to have a mammogram just because I didn’t want to do it due to watching her and being with her during that time. I finally did and as I had that gut feeling, ended up having to return for another with a report of 3 diiferent findings. One on the left breast and two on the right breast and the rating was a BI RADS 4!! I have to wait 2 weeks for the consultation to have 3 biopsies!! What are the odds on this anyone before I go stir crazy!?!

• Jlb028
    Jlb028 Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017
    Options

I’m new to the group but I’m wondering what’s accoustic shadowing? And have you ever had the nurse leave the room during the ultrasound to her the DR? It was an outpatient ultrasound at the hospital. I have never had that happen. He also got the ultrasound tool and started looking at my mass and the shadowing. You guys yesterday was honestly the worst time to go to an appointment alone. I cried all the way home. biopsy is scheduled for Tuesday. I also need to add that this lump (nodule) was discovered in 2017 amd i jusr found out 2 weeks ago when i went to the ER for a different reason

• BreastIntentions
    BreastIntentions Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hi,

I have had a swollen lymph node (right subclavicular) for about three months. Was referred for a mammogram which I had on the 17th. Before the mammogram no other lumps were detected in the breast. The doctor decided best to have a mammogram, sonar and biopsy of the lymph as a precaution since both my paternal gran and aunt have had breast cancer. Luckily all could be done on the same day. The mammogram was clear except for the subclaviclar swollen lymph. The sonar however showed a second suspicious lymph in the axilla, both measuring about 1.7cm x 0.9 cm. A third smaller lesion measuring 0.5 x 0.4cm was identified in the right upper outer quadrant. Left side clear. Was given Birads 4AB. So I guess nothing else to do except wait for the biopsy results (expect those next week Friday the 8th, state hospital South Africa, these things take a while. Usually results take six weeks here so I was lucky to get my follow up appointment in three weeks. Not sure what to expect, none of it sounds good but this forum has given me some hope for B9 results. Congrats to those of you who were fortunate enough to receive b9 results.

• moderators
    moderators Posts: 7,990
    edited December 2017
    Options

We're sorry for the new members here waiting for test results.... but wanted to say welcome to our amazing community!

If it helps, the article What Mammograms Show: Calcifications, Cysts, Fibroadenomas reinforces that there are many other benign masses that can come from testing. This may reassure you until you get your results. Good luck!

The Mods

• BreastIntentions
    BreastIntentions Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2017
    Options

Thanks that article was informative but still not sure what to expect. Worried about lymph involvement as everything I read indicates that not being good.

• LibbyRN
    LibbyRN Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello all! I am new to this group and after everything I have been reading I am torturing myself! I am 42 yrs old and had a mammogram on 11/8/2017 which showed a multilobulated dominant mass in the central portion of the left breast which is new measuring approximately 3cm in widest dimension (compared to prevoius mammogram for benign findings from 2005) and ultrasound was suggested. I had the ultrasound on 11/24/2017 and I just didn't get a good vibe from the radiologist at all. My ultrasound report says there is a macrolobulated hypoechoic mass at 12 o'clock 4cm from the nipple measuring approximately 2.6 x 1.8 x 1.4 cm. Ultrasound-guided core biopsy is recommended. Sonography of the left axilla demonstrates normal axillary lymph nodes. No adenopathy. BI-RADS 4B. I did see that on the ultrasound there was blue and red coloring noted to the mass. I assume this indicates blood flow. The hospital cannot get me scheduled until 12/11/2017 for the biopsy. Is there a standard of practice on scheduling these procedures? I was told that with it being the end of the year and October being Breast Cancer Awareness Month, it gets very busy, which I totally get. It just does not help with the mental torture and neither does Dr. Google! What are the odds that BI-RADS 4B ends up to be malignant? Any feedback would be much appreciated!

• windingshores
    windingshores Member Posts: 160
    edited December 2017
    Options

Hello everyone,  Waiting is the hardest part of this. Apart from this forum, stay away from Google! I did buy the Mayo Clinic book which is basic and helpful. But researching is useless until you know exactly what you are dealing with.

If you do have cancer, you will find out size, hormone responsiveness (ER/PR), HER 2 status, grade, maybe ki67% and surgery will tell you about lymph nodes.  If hormone positive and HER negative you will probably have an Oncotype test to determine if chemo is a good idea or not.

That's the lay of the land, so to speak. For now, distraction (Netflix? walks?) and Ativan if needed are the best ways to go. Good luck to all!

• granna19
    granna19 Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2018
    Options

I had a Birad 4c. I had a large mass on my right breast. On the 18th of December I had a partial mastectomy to remove all of it. It turned out benign. So just because you have a birad 4 doesn't always mean cancer. Keep in touch as you get your results.

• Karis30
    Karis30 Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2018
    Options

Mine is as follows...any feedback would be great as I'm worried!

MAMMO LEFT DX W OR WO COMPUTER AIDED DETECTION performed on: 2/9/2018 1:19

PM

Left BREAST BIRADS CATEGORY 4: Suspicious

Recommendation: Ultrasound-guided core biopsy is recommended. Also,

follow-up left breast ultrasound is recommended in 6 months.

IMPRESSION:

1. There is a 4 mm solid appearing nodule in the left retroareolar region

at 3:00 1 cm from the nipple. Ultrasound-guided core biopsy is

recommended.

2. Additional 4 mm cysts at 10:00 3 cm from the nipple, 1:00 4 cm from the

nipple and 3:00 3 cm from the nipple. Follow-up ultrasound is recommended

in 6 months.

HISTORY: R92.8: OTH ABN AND INCONCLUSIVE FINDINGS ON DX IMAGING OF BREAST

Clinical Indications: 1/24/2018 MAMMO BILAT SCREENING: Focal nodular

asymmetry in the posterior upper left breast. Recommend ML and XCCL whole

breast views, spot compression views and ultrasound examination of the

LEFT breast.

COMPARISON: January 24, 2018-July 16, 2014

Ordering Provider: WYNETTE G A (M.D.) AMAZONA

BREAST DENSITY: The breast tissues are heterogeneously dense, which may

obscure small masses.

FINDINGS: Left XCCL, ML and MLO spot compression views were performed.

There are several faint mostly obscured nodular densities in the upper

breast. No architectural distortion or spiculation is seen. There are no

suspicious clustered microcalcifications. There are a few faint scattered

microcalcifications and coarse calcifications.

Left breast ultrasound was performed for further evaluation. There is a 4

x 4 x 3 mm cyst at 10:00 3 cm from the nipple, a 4 x 4 x 3 mm cyst at 1:00

4 cm from the nipple and a 4 x 2 x 5 mm probable complex cyst at 3:00 3 cm

from the nipple. There is a 4 x 4 x 3 mm hypoechoic solid-appearing

rounded nodule at 3:00 1 cm from the nipple in the retroareolar region.

There are surrounding ductal structures.

These images are also analyzed using computer-aided detection equipment.

Interpreted by: Daniel Henshaw,

• roareus
    roareus Member Posts: 68
    Options

I was diagnosed with breast cancer in September 2013 when I was 43 years old. I had a lumpectomy, chemo, and radiation. I had a mammogram in January and they found some calcifications they thought was probably benign. They wanted to repeat the mammogram in six months. I had the follow up mammogram last Thursday, 7/6/2023. This time, it's BIRAD4 and they said it hasn't grown but looked somewhat similar to the malignant calcification from 2013. I had the biopsy today. Pathology report can take up to five days. I am petrified. Words of encouragement? Help! I am loosing my mind.

• luluh
    luluh Member Posts: 20
    Options

I am in a similar boat, although my biopsy is on Thursday. Try not to get ahead of yourself and just focus on the next outcome. You possess incredible strength and resilience within you. Trust in your ability to navigate through this. The waiting is the worst. Remember to breathe and go easy on yourself. Hang in there. You are not alone.

Lulu H