Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Grape Seed Extract

Options

the more i look into this supplement the more i'm impressed.  i found this abstract:

http://www.cbcrp.org/research/PageGrant.asp?grant_id=281

it looks like it acts as an AI.  i know that there are some women on this site who take this supplement.  my question is this:

do you also take DIM?

my understanding is that DIM acts to try and balance hormone levels.  or am i wrong here?  would DIM interact/interfere with Grape Seed Extract?

i'm also sitting here wondering if i should get used to red wine - i hate wine.  lol

thanks in advance!

~M

Comments

• beckward
    beckward Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2010
    Options

M,  I, too am considering starting DIM.  I've been taking grape seed extract since DX (2 years), as it was suggested by onc.  I had a recent recurrence scare and am not on Tamox. for other medical reasons.  Everything I've found on DIM sounds really logical and positive.  Haven't found any interactions with grape seed oil/extract.  I'm going to look for DIM today at the health food store....don't know if it's easily/affordably available retail.  60 mg a day, I think.  Let me know what you decide.  Beth 

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited November 2010
    Options

I take both DIM and grape seed extract. There is a study happening now at City of Hope with GSE.

• fairy49
    fairy49 Member Posts: 536
    edited November 2010
    Options

I take both also, you can get DIM at www.vitacost.com its half the cost that I was paying at the health food store, I use Nature's Way DIM.

L

• Maya2
    Maya2 Member Posts: 244
    edited November 2010
    Options

The Mayo Clinic has been studying grape seed extract and should have the results near the first of the year. They are working on getting the best dosage.

I've taken it for about 6 or 7 years and no recurrence.

• seaotter
    seaotter Member Posts: 642
    edited November 2010
    Options

Maya2 - How much grape seed extract do you take? Does it give you any stiffness?

Thanks, Patty

• crazy4carrots
    crazy4carrots Member Posts: 624
    edited November 2010
    Options

Yes I'd like to know the dosage too!  I''ve got 50mg tablets, and am taking it (one a day) to keep cholesterol levels under control.  But, should I double the dosage?

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited November 2010
    Options
    i, also take grape seed extract, for the al effect. 100 mg. every other day. I think maya takes 50, but she'll be along to tell you. i decided to start a year ago, after reading the Mayo Clinics study. they haven't come up with a dosage, yet... they have 3-4 different dosages they're trying as we speak. it really has been effective, because my estrogen level has become lower..so the onco says. have to get paperwork. i can feel a difference, with body fluids drying up, if ya know where im going...    3jays
  • barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited November 2010
    Options

The study gives out dosages ranging between 200-400mg/day. I take 200 along with myomin and others.

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited November 2010
    Options

Barbara, Are you doing the grape seed extract in place of AL's? Who is checking you estrogen levels? I'm only 1 week into AL's and having some real issues with them. I want to do some quick research in case I find them doing more harm than good.

• rgiuff
    rgiuff Member Posts: 339
    edited November 2010
    Options

It's confusing to me because I've always heard about grape seed extract as being an antioxidant, something which hopefully would slow down the aging process.  So it sounds somewhat contradictory to me to hear that it lowers estrogen levels, which to me would mean more breakdown of collagen and speeding up the aging process.  Can anyone explain this better to me?

• Maya2
    Maya2 Member Posts: 244
    edited May 2012
    Options

I've taken 50 mg for about 6 years and a couple years ago I went to every other day. Even in Europe, it was difficult to get a doc to monitor this. I didn't know about the Mayo study when I began taking it, so just took one pill a day and it happened to be 50 mg. I haven't had a recurrence and I'm a little afraid to stop completely, but probably will eventually.

Grape seed extract is an antioxidant, but appears to be a natural AI. I don't know the answer to the question about the aging process, but I have lovely skin and I'm pushing at 60 real hard.

In answer to the question about stiffness. No, none whatever. I do yoga and other exercise 6 days a week and I'm never stiff, don't have aches and pains, unless I have a flair-up with a herniated disc, and I have exercises for this too.

Sorry to be so late to the party.  

• Shayne
    Shayne Member Posts: 524
    edited May 2012
    Options

thx for the heads up on GSE.  Going to see naturopath today and will definitely bring this up!

• sam52
    sam52 Member Posts: 431
    edited May 2012
    Options

I have been taking Grapeseed extract 50mg per day since completing 5 years of aromasin two years ago. I am hoping it will be a substitute aromatase inhibitor.

I have not noticed any stiffness or muscle aches.

I was encouraged by the trialling of this supplement by a respected US medical facility; it is pretty rare for a supplement to be considered worthy of potential prevention and/or treatment for cancer, so I reckon there must be something in it.

However, I have not seen any enthusiasm for DIM at a research level, and have also read conflicting things about it, so am not too keen to use it.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited December 2012
    Options

TO all on GSE

I have some complicated issues with  a very very low BP and circulation.  I ordered activin GSE , and  really want to take it ...esp for the circulation.  Having said that , broader research showed me that it can lower BP by 5-8 .  That would be too much for me .  I cant chance it.  Ihave been living in a  catch 22 since the cancer was discovered...multiple issues.

Can any of you tell if your BP has lowered at all as well as any effects / good or bad you gave noticed since startiung the GSE?

THX!

• kira1234
    edited December 2012
    Options

Purple, I've been using GSE for about 6 months now. It hasn't lowered my blood pressure at all, but I'm on 3 meds to lower it already. I feel great with the GSE. I also take DIM plus by the way. No stiffness, and thank goodness no more constant cough I had with the Aromasin, and the Femara.

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

Many thanks for taking the time to post kira.

I'd love to hear from others as well----ESP those who might have had BP on the low side to begin with.Any effects ?

Happy Holidays to all !

• Amrdbit
    Amrdbit Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2012
    Options

Purple, 

I have always had really LBP. My Natural Path started me on GSE about a year ago. I am a BC newbie but a cancer vetran. (I had Hodgkins Lymphoma 18 years ago) I had no idea that GSE was a good one to take for BC, but I'm glad I've been taking it. I've always felt great and have had no side effects from the GSE. (I don't know the MG of how much I take off the top of my head. I'll look at the bottle when I get up, but right now I snuggled on the couch watching football with the fam. :) 

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

Thank you arm.
    I appreciate that reply. I am presuming then this has lowered your BP.

Enjoythe game !!!

• Amrdbit
    Amrdbit Member Posts: 41
    edited December 2012
    Options

Surprisingly, it hasn't changed my BP at all. It's naturally very low and has stayed the same with the GSE. Odd. (As for the game, I enjoyed it emensly. I'm a Boston girl born and raised and the Pats won. My husband and 2 teenage boys are Cowboys fans b/c we've lived in Texas for so long. Sigh. I guess I'll keep 'em anyway. LOL! JK!Now we are watching the CBoys. Ugh. LOL!

I'll be interested to see how you do with the GSE. Good luck! 

• kira1234
    edited December 2012
    Options

Let me know how you do if you decide to try the GSE!

• purple32
    edited December 2012
    Options

If I try it, I will let you know,.

I DID get the activin type.

• kira1234
    edited January 2013
    Options

Purple the activin kind is what I use!

• purple32
    edited January 2013
    Options

Supposed to be the 'gold standard ' kira. I just wish I knew for sure what my basline BP was right now ( used to avg 90/60) but I will not have it tested due to lymphedema present.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited January 2013
    Options

I have been taking 100mg twice a day for 5 years.  I will be taken off the AI next fall and plan to double the dosage to keep the estrogen at bay.  

There are already a lot of studies out there but it will be interesting to see what the new ones that are focused on the GSE only will show.

• kira1234
    edited January 2013
    Options

purple, Do you avoid BP testing on both arms? I have it done on the arm where the SNB wasn't taken. I understand they can do it on the legs as well.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited January 2013
    Options

Kira, I know you weren't asking me, but....Laughing  I have the BP done on the side that did not have the SNB.  I also get my needles there too.  I have never had any problems.  A lot of medical personel don't know how to do BP on the legs and I don't think it is as precise.

• kira1234
    edited January 2013
    Options

pip57, I agree most medical personnel don't know how to take the BP in the legs. It was my Onc.s nurse that told me about the legs, and is done by them all the time.Smile

• purple32
    edited June 2013
    Options

purple, Do you avoid BP testing on both arms? I have it done on the arm where the SNB wasn't taken. I understand they can do it on the legs as well.

Yes kira, but ONLY because I recognize some very subtle signs that could potentially indicate an add'l issue in the right arm.  I asked my cardio dr about it, and he said in my case it was a possibilty since I also have an impaired CIRC syystem.  In fact, he thinks that may have contributed to the development of the LE since I only had 2 nodes out and NO RADS.  Who can say ?
      I sure dont want to take the chance , I can tell you that !

At the same visit , just a  few weeks ago, I asked his nurse  if she could take the BP in the leg and she said she had never done it and did not feel comfortable in doing so.  I appreciated her honesty.  I have had a few ' medical blunders' in my lifetime.

• Welzey
    Welzey Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2018
    Options

Sorry I’m new to this community and i don’t know some of the abbreviations.Can you tell me what DIM is?

Thanks

• wallycat
    wallycat Member Posts: 1,249
    edited December 2018
    Options

I just spotted this thread...for anyone "afraid" to stop their grape seed, this may be helpful: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC49328...

(basically study said grapeseed extract did not do much statistically on estrogen).

Welzey, DIM is an extract for the cruciferous family: https://www.webmd.com/vitamins/ai/ingredientmono-1...