Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Halaven - Day 1

Comments

• SPAMgirl
    SPAMgirl Member Posts: 137
    edited September 2012

I have chemo Monday morning and sleep about 20 hours Wed. night into Thurs. morning. So, Sat and Sun morning should be good for you and you'll probably sleep Sun night and Mon morning. That's my experience.

I'm so happy that you finally got your 2nd dose. It has been wonderful for me so far.

• K-Lo
    K-Lo Member Posts: 826
    edited September 2012

Alesta,

I have recently!   I chalked it up to my 24 hour fentanyl skin infusion but,  Now I realize this is one of the H SE's.   One I can tolerate.

So glad you got tx.  (What is OH?  Old husband?) 

• alesta29
    alesta29 Member Posts: 240
    edited September 2012

Other Half He's only 59 and very fit and would be peeved if I described him as old!

• geowys
    geowys Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2012

alesta29: I get Benadryl in my cocktail (because of itching) and I sleep from it (during and after infusion) so I'm not sure  about Halaven and sleep.  Do you have other drugs in your cocktail?  I do get really tired easily, daily, moreso on the Halaven than any other chemo regiment.  I also get dehydratd easily tho I drink water etc constantly.  Have had to go in for IV fluids a few times this last couple weeks. 

• holdontohope
    holdontohope Member Posts: 44
    edited September 2012

Sleep?  Yes, for sure.  I get my infusion on Thurs.; then I sleep off and on most of the weekend.  I don't feel sleepy until Sat.; maybe because of the steroids they give me with the infusion.

• K-Lo
    edited September 2012

Yall, with this or any chemo, how do you help people understand that chemo itself makes you "ill"?

Im very fortunate to have become stable. But i know im not the same old me.

In a wayim glad myson thnks im invincible but i dont want him to think im lazy or a chronic disease complainer.

And how does halaven hold up over time, cumulative effects? I think i feel worse than when i started.

signed,

CHRONIC COMPLAINER

• alesta29
    edited September 2012
    Just get anti-nausea with the infusion. Need to call my nurse to check schedule tomorrow as it looks like i have 2 weeks off after my 25% reduced dose. To be honest, dpn't think I could do it agai after a week - it's almost worse than TAXUndecided and no doubt just as cumulative...
  • K-Lo
    edited September 2012

i thought every one gets day 1 day 8 then off, repeat without fail.  She warned me that this schedule would be strict.   If day 1 was Tuesday, day 8 would be Tuesday.

• holdontohope
    edited September 2012

Tumor markers--from 900 in mid-June to 134 today!  Halaven seems to be working!!  CT next Monday.

• K-Lo
    edited September 2012

YAY!    Hope, way to go!

• SPAMgirl
    edited September 2012

Fantastic holdontohope !!!!

I've been force to a Day 1, day 8, off schedule too.

• alesta29
    edited September 2012

Holdontohope

Brilliant news!!!!!

Looks like I have to get my next dose on Friday - think I might have woken up by then!

• mkkjd60
    mkkjd60 Member Posts: 136
    edited September 2012

Hello, my mom is 72 and just completed a series if two halavan infusions. She has never been this sick on a chemo. I'm not sure if it's the chemo or the neulasta shot. She has a fever, dizziness, nausea, can't eat, weak. Sloan says this is normal. I'm so upset for her. She had to miss my sons confirmation at church because she just was so sick. She was crying. She never misses anything with the grandkids. I've notice some of you get pre meds. She doesn't get any. Should I ask for anti nausea with the infusion? She tried anti nausea pills but they didn't work. Also headache was sooooo terrible. I would appreciate you input as to what you are getting or doing to handle side effects. Many thanks and blessings. Mary

• K-Lo
    edited September 2012

Mary, Forgive me if this seems intrusive, but do you feel that your mom is fully enabled to understand what is being done and make this choice for herself?  I just can't imagine myself not being strong enough to speak to my doctor about horrible SE's like these yet consenting to take the treatment.  Does that make sense?  

I am slowed down, queasy  and rocky on this at 57, but I know I'm choosing a serious treatment.

What I would do if I were her,  or you, is call and speak to the doctor ordering the halaven immediately; first, to get her checked for dehydration, etc, right now. How long can anyone go without food and water?    And second, to ask what the doctor will do next to prevent this if she continues on H.  Or should she change to a different treatment, one that allows a better quality of life?

This is a big-time chemo.   Taking it, we should be under the agreement that we are fully informed of the risks for the benefits, and consent, expecting  a possibly rough ride. Eeveryone reacts differently, but I would say that our clinicians  dont usually allow us to suffer and become unstable.   Do you agree,  Halavenlies?

Hoping for the best, Kathy

• SPAMgirl
    edited September 2012

I do get some premeds. Aloxi (anti-nausea), Zantac (stop upset stomach), and a steroid. I don't take anything other than that and I would like to stop the steroid. My onc said she's seen really good results with Halaven in patients under 60, but it doesn't seem to work well if they are over 60.

The neulasta shot just makes my bones ache.

I agree, if she's already dehydrated, she should get some fluid now.

• holdontohope
    edited September 2012

Mary, they may have to reduce the dosage that she is receiving.  I am now getting an 80% dose, because I reacted so badly to the full dose.  I couldn't eat or drink much and had to get IV fluids and was put on an antibiotic because I had a fever.

My pre-meds are for anti-nausea and a steroid.  I think you or your mom definitely need to discuss this with her doctor and get her checked for dehydration.

SPAM, have you tried taking Claritin before and after the Neulasta shot?  I did and it really helped.  No achy bones.   I used to get Neulasta and feel so achy I couldn't get out of bed.

• SPAMgirl
    edited September 2012

I haven't tried the Claritin yet. I've only had a couple of shots in this last 2 months. Yeah for me. I needed that info when I was on the red devil, I was getting shots 2-3 times a week.

• K-Lo
    edited September 2012

So, Claritin helps with bones?   There seem to be new waves of allergens every month here, so that would be logical for the runny eyes etc too.  One more pill though!

Y'all I am sleeping from 9pm to 9 am and going back to bed until noon.  Getting exercise, eating moderately well.  The organic pizza had lots of spinach on it.  Beer is my downfall, even though Select 55 is super light, I could drink lemonade.

Can you get too much sleep?

• SPAMgirl
    edited September 2012

Not when the in-laws are at your house.

• K-Lo
    edited September 2012

Hola heavenlies,

Mary, did I scare you off?  its just my Yankee opinion.  Please feel free to air things out here if it works for you.  No bullies here, I'll kick myself in butt if Thats what I was.

Alesta, what up?  Are you getting Rx?

Spam, i forget which side of 60 you're on.....   I'm 57, so maybe that's why its working so well for me.  How is that even a real thing.....

Today was day 1.  My ANC was 1008, cut off 1000.   Did not feel sick as in the past with low ANC. 

Anyway, got Rx, and if they drop more, I get an extra week off or decrease in time for our birding trip.

The only premed I get is Kytril for nausea....   random, huh?  Being a good girl and pushing non-caffeine, non-alcohol fluids.   I do love Select 55.

kathy

• SPAMgirl
    edited September 2012

I'm 38 until Nov. All of my numbers are in the normal range. I told my onc that I haven't felt this good since I had that tumor in my breast. Minus the fatigue. That is horrible, but I feel great.

What is ANC?

I'm a little worried about Alesta.

• K-Lo
    edited September 2012

Absolute Nuetrophil Count.....   some calculation of the percentage of total white blood cells.....

Alesta,will you  ask your dh to check in.....    anyone to let us know how you are?   Hope youre crazy busy with those young blokes and ladies...

• netty46
    netty46 Member Posts: 68
    edited September 2012

matybe were yo not eligible for ressection surgery? or cryosurgery?  Lots of top hospitals do this.  Cut the Cancer out.

• mkkjd60
    edited September 2012

O my dear K-Lo!  Please don't worry about what you said!  It was very helpful and I'm a tough bird anyway.  I am going with mom to Sloan today to ask tons of questions about side effects from halaven and the neulasta shot.  When mom started to "recover" from the last dose, I spoke with her at length and my feeling is that she was nauseas from terrible head and neck pain she was getting which didn't kick in until after the neulasta shot.  So I'm thinking it is the shot.  This is also the second time I have heard that claritan helps with bone pain so I'm asking about that too.  As for mom, I think her debilitating pain made it so that she couldn't even function.  My mom doesnt like to complain about any drug because she thinks they will take the drug away if she does.  She grew up in a large family where no one cared what you were going through so why complain - just suck it up.  Even at 72 she truly and honestly believes that this cancer will only get her if she says "uncle" and gives up.  Another tough bird.  Wonder where I get it from?  LOL.  Thank you ladies for all your info.  I will check back here and let you know what Sloan says about all of this.  hopefully some info will help someone else.  Blessings, Mary

• mkkjd60
    edited September 2012

O my dear K-Lo!  Please don't worry about what you said!  It was very helpful and I'm a tough bird anyway.  I am going with mom to Sloan today to ask tons of questions about side effects from halaven and the neulasta shot.  When mom started to "recover" from the last dose, I spoke with her at length and my feeling is that she was nauseas from terrible head and neck pain she was getting which didn't kick in until after the neulasta shot.  So I'm thinking it is the shot.  This is also the second time I have heard that claritan helps with bone pain so I'm asking about that too.  As for mom, I think her debilitating pain made it so that she couldn't even function.  My mom doesnt like to complain about any drug because she thinks they will take the drug away if she does.  She grew up in a large family where no one cared what you were going through so why complain - just suck it up.  Even at 72 she truly and honestly believes that this cancer will only get her if she says "uncle" and gives up.  Another tough bird.  Wonder where I get it from?  LOL.  Thank you ladies for all your info.  I will check back here and let you know what Sloan says about all of this.  hopefully some info will help someone else.  Blessings, Mary

• mkkjd60
    edited September 2012

• holdontohope
    edited October 2012

Well, I am going off Halaven.  The liver mets have responded so well, that my onc. is going to give me a break.  Her plan to put me on Affinitor/Aromasin.  Of course, this all depends on insurance approval.  I read the post on Affinitor and the side effects, especially the mouth sores, don't sound encouraging at all.  Hope I'm not jumping from the frying pan into the fire!

Anyway, thanks ladies for all your good information about Halaven.  I hope it works well for all of you!

• SPAMgirl
    edited October 2012

Does that mean that you'll have a chance of going back to Halaven later if you need it?

• holdontohope
    edited October 2012

Spam, I asked that question and was told that I can go back on Halaven if needed.  I was really hesitant to take a break, but the neuropathy in my feet is getting worse, and also I am just worn out.  My onc. said it is good to take a break now and then, especially since my liver is looking good right now.

• K-Lo
    edited October 2012

Grrrr.......my counts were up so i got a tx. I want a break like you guys!