Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• TonLee
    TonLee Member Posts: 1,589

NMoss,

Don't let yourself get dehydrated...if you keep vomiting, I agree with the others, go to the ER...better a few hours in the ER on an IV to get it to stop, than several days in the hospital due to dehydration.

Don't give up.  I know you want too.  We all do sometimes.

I'm thinking about you today.

• arlenea
    arlenea Member Posts: 1,150

Special K....I think that is the one.  It looks like they do inject some dye in you for that test which I could have sworn the doctor on Dr. Oz said there were no injections but I sure could have missed that.  But the test (according to the doctor) is for women who have had breast cancer and also those with very dense breasts.

Thanks, Arlene

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813

NMoss: I am praying for you today.

• nmoss1000
    nmoss1000 Member Posts: 324

Thanks Ladies, my DH found something that I may be able to keep down. Small sips of Root Beer! I had a piece a toast about an hour ago. So we will see, Thanks for all the advice and well wishes. If I can;t keep the toast down then off to the ER I go. It's tough because I have a pretty strict nutritional regimen and it will be disappointing to see how this affects my counts on Monday. This has ben the worst round yet. 6 long days,

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    nmoss - Demand emend.  You can do it.  Nice but firm.
  • geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671

Nmoss...here's hoping you get to try emend!! I am glad to hear the root beer works a bit. Zofran worked like a charm for me, no nausea. The cheezits comment was funny. I went to Whole Foods so much during chemo, that the smell of the place still gets me sometimes!!

Lago...good grief!! I so hope this stuff clears soon for you. It makes me think twice. I am usually healthy, work out, eat right, etc. BUT, I have 3 kids, I work and care for my 86 year old MIL w alzheimers. I AM TIRED!!!! I need to think about that immune system, and respect it more.

I realize I am asking this on the wrong thread..but any ideas as to why I can't get in the neratinib trial? The trial front line told me that since I am NED, I am not eligible. But that makes no sense...lots of other women went through treatment and are subsequently on the trial. As a matter of fact, it looks to me that the link Lago posted shows active disease as an exclusion. Is my chemo brain messing with me again? What am I reading wrong here?

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

geewhiz they give you the drug right after you finish you 1 year of herceptin infusions… it's more a continuation of treatment. Hope that makes sense.

But contact the company and ask:  I filled out the form and they did contact me. Scroll down on the page below and click "To obtain contact information for a study center near you, click here." at the near bottom of the page http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00878709

They will tell you if you are eligible and where the nearest trial is being held.

• Ca1Ripken
    Ca1Ripken Member Posts: 829

nmoss - I'm glad you are finally keeping something down!!  It sucks this has been such a hard round for you! 

Lago - Hope your shingles quit you soon!! 

Arlene - Sorry about the H... hope they can figure something out, or get you on the oral meds.  I'm a (recreational) runner, and my EF has been hanging around 65%... not as high as I would have thought... I understand your frustration! 

Geewhiz - I agree with Lago... that's how I got info on the trial initially, then found my cancer center does administer it.  I believe you are eligible by your stats... keep pushing!!

Thanks for the info about my period... I am going on having it for 2 1/2 weeks now after nothing for almost a year.  Yell

• carberry
    carberry Member Posts: 997

Nmoss... the Emend is very expensive but worth it. My surg doc ordered it for me pre-surgery cause I always puke after anesthesia, It worked like a charm, no nausea after surgery.  It was 35$ for one pill but insurance covered most of it. At least if you go to the ER you can get IV's to hydrate you and you will have a paper trail to prove how sick you are, sometimes the onc docs just dont realize hwo sick we are, think we are exaggerating the SE.  Sips of gatorade or chicken broth (salt) will help maintain your electrolytes.  Hang in there, i was there (2 hosp admissions) and thought I would not live, but I did. Please keep us posted, wishing you the best.

Omaz..I start rads on Tues for 33 treatments.

• arlenea

Happy Mother's Day to all the Mommies here. 

NMoss:  Hope you are better today and that you didn't need the ER but if you did at least they will have you hydrated again.

Yes, Leanna, it is frustrating to not be able to run but I'll get past this too.  I don't think the Onc has any plans for a substitute for the Herceptin but I'll ask her next week when I go for #3.

• omaz

Carberry - Lube, lube, lube!

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245

nmoss:  I read a book from my library about what to do during chemotherapy and it said one of the best things for hydration was watermelon with a little salt on it.  Instead of just hydrating with water (which was what I was doing) it said your liquids should come from 4 different categories that were in the book, but watermelon with salt covered all four categories.  I found that I could eat it when I couldn't eat much of anything even though I never had nausea or vomiting, just couldn't find the "stomach" to eat.  And I figured out that you should never eat stuff during your chemo that you ever want to have the "stomach" for again.

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304

My oncology nurse recommended coconut water, you can usually find it in the health food section.  I was never that sick, but did drink it during chemo and it settled well.

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304

and my insurance covered Emend I took pills the day of and the day after, they also gave it to me via IV as one of my pre-meds with the TCH.  See if they will do that for you.

Linda

• lago

It's true not to just drink water. You can mess up your electrolytes. Even soup counts as liquid. Nurse from BC&BS told me that.

• omaz

I drank tons of water and didn't have trouble - but I was able to eat as well so maybe being able to eat and drink at the same time makes a difference.  I didn't like drinking anything else except water, tea, coffee and milk.

• lago
    Omaz I only drank water but made sure I ate a lot of soup. I have never had coffee, hot tea is OK and don't really drink milk… which is odd because as a kid a drank it all the time.
  • geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671

Thanks guys for the trial info. I will call again and perhaps will get someone who will give me the green light this time. It makes no sense...I fit the bill as far as I can tell.

• saralmom
    saralmom Member Posts: 216

My last Herceptin is tomorrow!!! I really can't believe it!!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

Yay saralmom!  What a milestone!

• kriskat
    kriskat Member Posts: 116

Congrats saralmom!

• arlenea

How exciting Saralmom.  Congratulations.

Liquids:  Water is my main source but I do drink a glass of milk a day with my Carnation Instant Breakfast (suggested by the nutritionist) and also a glass of Bolthouse fruit smoothy almost daily.  My electrolytes got so messed up after Chemo #1.

I've also heard that watermelon is excellent and I need to get some once we have a better selection in the store....I am a bit worried about the seeds though.

Arlene

• grammytotheboys
    grammytotheboys Member Posts: 14

Congrats! My last is on the 18th....really excited to be done with it. Good luck.

• grammytotheboys
    grammytotheboys Member Posts: 14

I fought for the Emend....onc was reluctant. $45 co-pay but never had nausea or vomiting. Also ended up changing onc too!

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245

Because I was drinking only water, my blood pressure got too low and then they had to monitor that all the time - including going to my cardiologist.  Once I added the watermelon, as well as soup, etc. my blood pressure went up, and they were able to continue treatments.  I was also regularly during the same time, because I didn't have nausea, but it still was messing with my blood pressure.

Woo hooo on last Herceptin - can't wait til I reach that milestone! 

• pasmithx2
    pasmithx2 Member Posts: 224

saralmom--Thanks for reminding us that there is an end to this tunnel. it must feel like a huge weight is being lifted from your shoulders. Can't wait to be there too.

• libraylil
    libraylil Member Posts: 325

I never realized what a difference the Emend made.! Like most of you I had it IV the day of and a pill the day of and day after. Nurse also mentioned Aloxi in the iv for nausea. Food aversion but not outright yakking. Once it starts it must be really hard to get a handle on the nausea. any nausea I had was controlled by zofran or Ginger chews. I co paid 50 for the Emend two pack. Libraylil

• motherofpatient
    motherofpatient Member Posts: 124

My daughter got IV nausea meds - Aloxi - lasts for several days after chemo and is totally covered by insurance with no copay since the chemo nurses put it in the IV bags.

When my mother had cancer the Enemd was $103 per pill and she had no  Rx coverage so I had to pay it out of pocket. that was befroe Aloxi was on the market.

• lago

Congratulations Saramom! I think I have 7 more.

You should google watermelon. It's actually a very good food to eat unless you have diabetes/high blood sugar issues. It has antioxidants as well as other benefits.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

plus it's super delicious!