Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

TRIPLE POSITIVE GROUP

Comments

• mystic
    mystic Member Posts: 1

I too have numb hands and wrists in the morning.  This exercise helps a lot.  Put your hands in a straight up finger prayer position and bring elbows in close to the chest.  This stretches the wrists at the base of the hand.  Then, put your arms straight out, locking your elbow and allow your hands and fingers to relax in a downward curl.  Then stretch your wrist down in the opposite direction of the prayer position.  When I remember to do this, the numbness goes away.  Good luck ladies.  By the way, I'm visiting this group because my identical twin sister was just diagnosed as tripple positive.  I'll be sitting with her next week as she starts chemo.

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Hi Mystic  I have an identical twin sister too.  She had a mammogram right after me since it obviously scared her that I had BC.  Do you have others in your family who have had BC as well?  I am the only lucky one in my family.

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    Wendy - are you eating lots of protein?  Don't know if that would help but it occurred to me.
  • Wendyspet
    Wendyspet Member Posts: 103

Omaz: Peanut butter at lunch and a meat at dinner.  I probably could be eating more protein...

Where are you in AZ?  I am in Gilbert.

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

mystic and kay ... i'm in the identical twin club, too!  my twin had a mammo and us a few days after my dx.  nothing ... she's clear.  whew!  do your twin sisters live close to you?

i think my hair is beginning to come out.  if i pull on it, i get several hairs in my hand.  i don't know whether to get my head shaved tomorrow or wait.  if it comes out in clumps on sunday and i can't get it shaved, i'll be so unhappy.  i just want to get this part over with. 

• omaz
    wendy - Tucson.  There is a group up there, do you meet with them?  Maybe add some greek yogurt, or my favorite - goat yogurt!  The onc nutritionist told me 0.56 grams of protein per pound of body weight.
  • Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914

Hi YaYa!  Yes, my twin lives a little over a mile from me.  How about yours?  It is nice; and our kids go to (or went, 2 of mine have graduated) the same school, and that is really nice even though they aren't in the same grade.  I know this is really scarey for my twin since we've had all the same illnesses usually pretty close together our whole lives.  And we're 48 now.  No other BC in our family though, how about yours?

• dragonfly1
    dragonfly1 Member Posts: 516
    YaYa Everyone is different but for me I knew I was going to buzz my hair and I just couldn't do it until I knew that my hair was really falling out even though I knew it was inevitable. Once it happened it was dramatic. One day my hair was normal, the next day I could pull it out in clumps and it seemed like it would never stop. I remember taking a shower that morning and there was hair everywhere-my hands were full, the drain was full, the brush was full. Then I was psychologically ready to buzz it off...I guess I'm one of those people who have to see it to believe it:)
  • Wendyspet

Omaz - wow, that's alot of protein!

No, I haven't hooked up with the people up here yet.  Maybe when I'm done with chemo.  All these doctor's appointments!

• omaz
    Wendy - I thought it was a lot of protein too but I think it really helped.  The Onc nutritionist said it helps to rebuild normal tissue that was affected by chemo.  It's about that amount.  She told me 95 grams for my size and I weighed somewhere around 165 at that time.
  • panamajayne
    panamajayne Member Posts: 73

I still am hoping that someone is going to tap me on the shoulder and say" this is just a bad joke and is not really true"

• panamajayne
    panamajayne Member Posts: 73

Dragonfly, when my hair starting falling out in clumps I drank 3 martinis and got the clippers out and did a buzz

• geewhiz
    geewhiz Member Posts: 671

Panamajayne...that cracked me up....buzzing with a buzz!!

Lago...You are right, I will ask for a le referral next time I go just to be on the safe side. I am in the heat a lot lately...it seems to be a bit more tingly after lots of activity and heat.

High protein low carb is a good way to go Omaz! It's hard for me though. I love black beans and nuts...both high carb. I mix them in though. We get lots of protein from plants, it just requires lots of preplanning from me...and learning new recipes.

TonLee...that's crazy about leaving a picc line dragging. Some people just like the attention of the spotlight I guess...whether it's from rads beams or otherwise!!! : )

• gasurvivor2011
    gasurvivor2011 Member Posts: 150

panamajayne- it's been over 7 months- finished w/ bmx, recon & 6 rds TC (still on H). I am so w/ you on the waiting for someone to tell us it's all been a bad joke..nightmare, etc. And glad to see your sense of humor too- that does help doesn't it?!!

10 more Herceptins to go! Another one this Wed. 

• achpurple
    achpurple Member Posts: 245

I have my next Herceptin tomorrow also _ forgot which # it is but going to ask.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,246

I am coming up on a year since dx and I haven't even had a fill yet!  I must be a slow learner!  This has been a definite time-out in my life, but I feel the worst is behind me, chemo :( mostly!  Now I need to get the food plan/exercise/supplements thing going so that I feel like I am moving in the direction of doing myself the most good.

• Wendyspet

I had TCH #4 last Thursday and had to stay home from work Monday.  Was feeling very weak, (I had to keep sitting down while getting ready, then just finally figured I wasn't going to make it in).  I hope its just the chemo and not the herceptin--have another Muga this Friday.

I guess I should stop complaining, because I made it to work today so it can't be that bad!

• specialk

wendyspet - Now that you are to #4 you may start to see some cumulative fatigue.  I am hoping that is all you are experiencing, and that your MUGA will be fine.

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813

Wendyspet: My liver numbers were high too. I started taking Milk Thistle and my liver results are now back within the normal range, even at the two week mark when they used to go through the roof. My oncologist is fine with me taking it. It's made a huge difference.

Here's an article on it:
    http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091215172325.htm

Milk thistle has been used for centuries for liver detoxification, and may even have anti-cancer properties itself. Here is one more article:
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17548794

Good luck!

• YaYa5
    YaYa5 Member Posts: 532

i'm having my second tx on monday.  can you guys tell me if the se's get worse with each treatment?  ... are they cumulative?  i know that fatigue can be cumulative, but i wonder if my other tx's will be basically the same as my first one.  TIA

• windlass
    windlass Member Posts: 1,813

Hi, Yaya: I found AC got harder as I went in terms of overall tiredness, etc, but the second treatment wasn't as hellacious as the first with regard to immediate side effects (nausea, etc). It's like my body figured out "Oh, yeah, this - we did this before."

• specialk

yaya - I found #2, 3, &4 tx to be much easier than #1 was.  I didn't notice cumulative SE's until #5.  Still be careful with icing your fingers and toes, taking your anti-nausea meds and eating and drinking adequately.  I had a very bad headache on #1 that I did not have again.  I hope you feel good for this next one!

• LindaKR
    LindaKR Member Posts: 1,304

Yaya5 - I had different issues with each tx, but some were cumulative too.  My one regret is that I wish I had stopped working from the beginning of my treatment, I kept trying to push my way through, and it was really frustrating and added to my fatigue.  I'm still on disability,  my fatigue has improved some, and I have pain issues, neuropathy from the chemo, shoulder & LE issues from MX & Rads, then additional pain from the AI's, but all in all not bad.

Dragonfly, that sounds like carpal tunnel to me also - my carpal tunnel went away while I was receiving chemo, probably from the steriods, which also made my cheeks pink.  A week or two after I started the AI's, and 5 weeks post-chemo, my carpal tunnel came back with a vengenace, I had surgery for it, I had kind of planned it before DX, they are doing great, but now have developed trigger finger in a couple of fingers - does it ever end.

This sounds kind of whiny, oops, that wasn't the plan.  I am very blessed.

Linda

• nmoss1000
    nmoss1000 Member Posts: 324

Hi ladies! Hope all is going well. I have been a travel demon, making up for lost time. I am 12 weeks PFC and doing well! Headed to Herception this AM. starting Femara this week. Strangely I developed mouth sores this week? Just when you think your through the light...The DH was accepted to law school in SC and had to leave with a few days notice, I am staying here because of H and exchange surgery. Anyone have any insight of exchange surgery ? Is the recovery like BMX? Anyone else on Femara? I think of you ladies often and I still keep up with posts. I am working hard to get to that place where I can feel like a survivor:)

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653

Exchange surgery recovery is easy NOT like BMX. If I didn't have fat grafting it would have been even easier. It's more about WHEN your PS lets you do stuff not IF you can do stuff. You have certain restrictions. (Most of my discomfort came from the fat grafting not from the boobie prizes being installed).

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181

Hi, nmos1000,

I'm on Femara till 04/08/2010. There is a Femara site on BCO, look at it.

Wishing the best with SE's!

Best Usha

•    I am really having no SEs with either the Xeloda or herceptin....has been one week since herceptin and today is my  14th day on Xeloda.  I felt weird when they were infusing, but they pretty much told me what I was feeling was not from the herceptin.....easy for them to say.....but maybe it wasn't as I felt fine afterward and went to work.  Yesterday all my blood work came back fine, although I need to increase my warfarin since my INR was too low.   I know I should not look a gift horse in the mouth, but it worries me when I don't have SEs since in the past I have not and the treatments did not work. 

• specialk

nmoss - I just started Femara about a week and a half ago.  So far just some aches, nothing major.  I am attributing it to the Femara because I forgot to take it one night and didn't have those aches the next morning.  It is mainly feet and ankles - my first 100 steps in the morning I look like I am 100!

Marybe - So glad you are not having SE from your meds - I am on Herceptin only now and not having any problem with it at all.  They did run my first H only in 30 minutes and I had body aches worse than when I was on TCH, they lasted for about 4-5 days. It even hurt to lay down. Per other triple pos ladies I asked them to slow the infusion to 90 minutes as long as they could spare the chair to me (they said no problem) so now that is what I do and I have not experienced the full body aches since then.  Crossing my fingers that it is working for you and you continue to be SE free.

• nora_az
    nora_az Member Posts: 391

Hi everyone, long time no see

To answer ya-ya's question on how it worked for me. Every single tx for me was totally different. The first one I just was tired starting on the 3rd day. I didn't really want to go anywhere but just sitting in the recliner was all I wanted to do but I couldn't really tell anyone what was wrong, just didnt have any motivation to do anything. Nothing hurt though. My second one I had diarrhea from hell. Third one I had itching all over my body. It's weird because after each tx I would have a whole new list of side effects yet none seemed to be the same as the previous one. Those one would go away and I'd have a new list. The one thing that remained the same was the tiredness.

• Wendyspet

Thanks Special K for the well wishes.  I have gotten better every day since Monday so I hope its just the chemo tiredness rather than heart issues.

And thanks to Windlass about the milk thistle hint.  I will ask my Onc.  Sounds funny but I'd very much like to finish this regimen.