Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Not-so-good surprises in DIEP surgery and recovery?

Options
123457»

Comments

• alexanjb
    alexanjb Member Posts: 32
    edited June 2011
    Options

I am about 10 days out from the SIEA.  It looks like I am having some tissue failure.  The NP said we have to wait and see after she looked at it and cut it to see if I bleed red.  I did.  I see the PS on Monday.  What does necrosis look like?  I am mottled purple with some blistery areas and some other areas that are cooler to the touch than others.

• Ralsper
    Ralsper Member Posts: 131
    edited June 2012
    Options

BUMP

• New-girl
    New-girl Member Posts: 80
    edited June 2012
    Options

I had DIEP in February of this year.  I thought I would get my 2nd phase done this month but I am not until end of July.  I will not get my tatooed until after phase 2.  I want to get everything done this year so I am not out another deductible next year.  Can anyone tell me how long after phase 2 can I get tatooed? 

• bdavis
    bdavis Member Posts: 3,192
    edited June 2012
    Options

I was told 3 months.. I think putting more time between stage I and II is better anyway... so don't fret over the extra time... and then you can have tats at the end of Oct.. tattoos are only about $400, so not huge.

• New-girl
    edited June 2012
    Options

Thanks for reply.  I was initially very happy with my DIEP but now that they have settled in, they are quite unattractive.  Husband lacks a sensitivity chip so that only adds to my feeling of deformity.  One side is ok round but other side looks a flap of meat.  Both parts where nipple will go are indented and show through everything except sports bra.  Also side that looks like a flap of meat seems to grow larger as the other side gets smaller.  I am scheduled for fat grafting along with nipple construction so I hope they can get enough fat to make them look the same.  Just ready to get somewhat normal and say goodbye to Frankenboobs.

• bdavis
    edited June 2012
    Options

I see you live in Texas... where did you go for your surgery? And have you been back to the doctor to express your concerns??

• New-girl
    edited June 2012
    Options

I was at Medical City Dallas.  I expressed concern at my last appointment but I am somewhat concerned that fat grafting will not be enough to make them even.  I have heard of women who needed an implant along with the DIEP.  Have you ever heard of that? 

• bdavis
    edited June 2012
    Options

I have heard of that... but I have heard of that after all fat flaps have been exhausted... Perhaps your doctor could supplement with a hip flap... does he do those?? My doctor says there is always a place to get fat from... of course some donor sites are better than others.. I have used both the DIEP and Hip flap sites. And if he needed more he'd have to take from somewhere outside the bikini line.. I need a little more on one side where I have had fat necrosis and they are probably going to do fat grafting, but if need be, he will use a flap from somewhere else.

• angiebaby1
    angiebaby1 Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2013
    Options

I had my bilateral diep with right breast skin sparing matsectomy and left breast delayed(since may) on the Jan. 28th. My left breast is bigger than the right and the right is a little square. Now I do realize that i am barely out of surgery and swollen and all of that crap that goes with it...but my doctor just informed me that I may not need a second surgery, although I am already talking about it. I think it upset him as he says everything looks great and i think the results so far are alright aas the flaps have survived...but I would like my breast to match a little more. If I have to change doctors I will without any problem. I guess i will see what happens ove the next few months or so and see how things settle down.

• bdavis
    edited February 2013
    Options

Angie.. yes, see how things settle. I just had a stage IIb and mentioned that I may be interested in a IIc, but just for a minor tweak. And I am TOTALLY aware that in 3 months, 6 months, I may disagree with myself. I just want perfection. And told my PS I wanted perfection, as does he... Thats one of the reasons I went with him... I don't want so so after everything I have been through. And I am not so so ... I am way better than that. But I want perfect. Lemonade out of my lemons.