Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Metformin-Anyone on this trial?

Options

Comments

• IndigoMont11
    IndigoMont11 Member Posts: 42
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hi!  I just finished chemo on 9/13/12 and am applying to be part of the study.  I am not diabetic and have never taken Metformin.  Since the actual study is a double blind one, I won't know officially if I'm on Metformin or a placebo - unless I have side effects.  The info I was given says that 20 percent of people get the GI symptoms like diarrhea, bloating, gas.... I've been hoping those are no worse necessarily than the diarrhea and constipation I've had on chemo, but I'm not crazy about that possibility. I don't usually have "stomach problems" as a rule but chemo of course has changed things up.  Do most of you who actually know that you're on Metformin get those symptoms?  I guess I'm thinking that I volunteered for the study excited about the chance that I'd have one more weapon to throw at this, but I only have a 50-50 chance of even getting the real drug.

Also, I should be starting rads in about a month; does that make any difference, does anyone know?

I go 9/26 for my rads consult and meet with the study research analyst for some blood work and an interview after.  

I'll be interested to see what you think!

• gwendolynann
    gwendolynann Member Posts: 11
    edited September 2012
    Options

IndigoMont1 ~ I went through Chemo and Rads  before I had to qualify for the "Trial".  I've been taking "Metformin" for about 2 1/2 months and have had zero side effects.  : (  I was also excited hoping I had an extra bullet in my gun but we just don't know.  What sucks is I won't know until five years from now ..... it was worth a shot.  I hope you get the really thing also!  Good Luck  (also, being on the Trial they pay for allot of your care and extra Mamo's) Can never have to many Mamo's.  LOL

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hi Indigo

I am not diabetic, but taking metformin. Definte bloating and gas here the first several weeks.

Good Luck to all!

• BellaJean
    BellaJean Member Posts: 32
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hi all,

I am on the trail and no idea of course if I have the real thing or the plecbo. AT first I was a bit nauseous and not hungery. And I had this yucky taste in my mouth. These symptoms came on right way so could be plecebo side effect. Who knows.

After going up to two pills,  I became gassy and have two other strange changes to my body. They are: my tummy suddenly got bigger, ugh...pants don't fit now. And I am constipated. Wondering if any one else has had either of these changes.

I did gain four pounds on chemo and have not lost it, but still that does not explain suddenly being up two sizes. Anyone else out there struggling with either of these.

• BellaJean
    edited September 2012
    Options

Hi all,

I am on the trail and no idea of course if I have the real thing or the plecbo. AT first I was a bit nauseous and not hungery. And I had this yucky taste in my mouth. These symptoms came on right way so could be plecebo side effect. Who knows.

After going up to two pills,  I became gassy and have two other strange changes to my body. They are: my tummy suddenly got bigger, ugh...pants don't fit now. And I am constipated. Wondering if any one else has had either of these changes.

I did gain four pounds on chemo and have not lost it, but still that does not explain suddenly being up two sizes. Anyone else out there struggling with either of these.

• WaveWhisperer
    WaveWhisperer Member Posts: 557
    edited September 2012
    Options

I'm in the Metformin trial and am pretty sure I'm getting the placebo. The trial coordinator indicated that many women experience GI side effects, especially when, after 4 weeks, you go from one to two doses a day. I had plenty of GI side effects from chemo, so I know I don't have an iron tummy.  Oh, welll...

• Momof2inME
    Momof2inME Member Posts: 249
    edited September 2012
    Options

WaveWhisperer,

I am in the trial too and pretty sure I am getting the placebo as well. I was on Metformin off and on for 4 years so I know what the side effects usually are.  I have had none and it has been 3 weeks. Oh well is right......

• purple32
    edited September 2012
    Options

BellaJean

sounds pretty typical for metformin.

• wildrumara
    wildrumara Member Posts: 109
    edited September 2012
    Options

I was very constipated when on Metformin....which is actually the opposite of what most people experience!

• wildrumara
    wildrumara Member Posts: 109
    edited September 2012
    Options

I was very constipated when on Metformin....which is actually the opposite of what most people experience!

• BellaJean
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. My trail nurse seemed to think I am on metaforin and not the placebo. Whjo knows. I just hope that the results come in sooner rather than later so we know if metaforin actually can help reduce risk of reoccurance. Off to take my morning pill.

• BellaJean
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. My trail nurse seemed to think I am on metaforin and not the placebo because I had some symptoms . Who knows. I just hope that the results come in sooner rather than later so we know if metaforin actually can help reduce risk of reoccurance. Off to take my morning pill.

• BellaJean
    edited September 2012
    Options

Thanks all for taking the time to reply. My trail nurse seemed to think I am on metaforin and not the placebo because I had some symptoms . Who knows. I just hope that the results come in sooner rather than later so we know if metaforin actually can help reduce risk of reoccurance. Off to take my morning pill.

• leggo
    leggo Member Posts: 379
    edited September 2012
    Options

I would love to know the "company" who declined to give support....the one that still holds the patent and the one that Ms. Goodwin didn't name. Anybody know?

• IndigoMont11
    edited September 2012
    Options

Interesting article!  I should be starting the trial on 10/12. 

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited September 2012
    Options

Does anyone have any links to results type articles, not just the trial page. I want to show something to my primary and see if he will rx it. Thanks

• LindaLou53
    LindaLou53 Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2012
    Options

I don't know of any early trial results but I just got this link in my email yesterday.

http://www.businessweek.com/news/2012-09-25/five-cent-diabetes-pill-from-1958-may-be-new-cancer-drug

Ooops!  Sorry, I see someone already posted this link.  

• BaseballFan
    BaseballFan Member Posts: 46
    edited September 2012
    Options

Any idea if this trial is helping Stage IV?

• leggo
    edited September 2012
    Options

BaseballFan, here is a link of all the ongoing/completed trials. There was one study for Stage IV. The trial is completed. Your doctor should be able to share the results with you.

http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?flds=Xj&flds=a&flds=b&flds=c&flds=f&flds=t&term=breast+cancer+AND+metformin&show_flds=Y

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited September 2012
    Options

I was coming to post this as well ladies. Well aren't we on top of things??? I just love it....

• purple32
    edited September 2012
    Options

This is a little frustrating...if the trial is completed, WTH can't we view the results ?!

• kpraydick
    kpraydick Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2012
    Options

I am beginning this clinical trial on Monday, Oct 1, 2012. Had a 4.8cm tumor in right breast and several lymph nodes and started TAC for 6 treatments from March 2012-July 2012, then lumpectomy 8/21/12 with full lymph node axillary dissection. The cancer shrunk, but still had 1 cm of cancer in tumor and 9 out of 17 lymph nodes still positive after chemo. Started taking Arimidex this week and radiation. Will do Arimidex for 7 years and radiation for 33 treatments.

• kpraydick
    kpraydick Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2012
    Options

I am beginning this clinical trial on Monday, Oct 1, 2012. Had a 4.8cm tumor in right breast and several lymph nodes and started TAC for 6 treatments from March 2012-July 2012, then lumpectomy 8/21/12 with full lymph node axillary dissection. The cancer shrunk, but still had 1 cm of cancer in tumor and 9 out of 17 lymph nodes still positive after chemo. Started taking Arimidex this week and radiation. Will do Arimidex for 7 years and radiation for 33 treatments.

• leggo
    edited September 2012
    Options

Purple32, your oncologist will not likely share results until all trials are completed, and will probably not be published until all are completed. Your family physician will probably share the results of a particular study if you ask. I think most are privvy to the information or know where to get it.

• leggo
    edited September 2012
    Options

That was so weird. I "x"'d out of the site because I didn't want to wait for the post to go through. When I came back 5 seconds later to make sure it was/wasn't there and to check my spelling, it was there. I guess that's the secret to a fast submission.

• IndigoMont11
    edited September 2012
    Options

I had my interview, exam and labs for the trial on 9/26.  The nurse who is the research analyst went over my medical history, how I've dealt with chemo and side effects, measured my waist, hips, height and weight, took 8 different labs, and took my blood pressure 3 times in succession, 1 minute apart, and then 1 more time with me in a standing instead of sitting position.  I wished she had done that before the blood was drawn, because getting my BP taken that many times left me with a big bruise inside my elbow (but I've had worse).  I also had a have a chest x-ray.  My labs all came back fine except for my white counts, which had tanked due to nadir (last chemo was 2 weeks before).  So I'll have to repeat the CBC, but I'll have to do that anyway before I'm due to start the trial on the 15th, because I'll be having my port removed on the 12th.  No extra sticks, yay. 

I'm crossing my fingers my stomach issues have settled down once I get to a month PFC.  Just in case I have SEs from the Metformin.  

Sharing this for anyone who's thinking about the trial - and curious if everyone else had a similar work-up.  

• purple32
    edited September 2012
    Options

That IS the secret, gracie!  I have done it too.

• BCinAK
    BCinAK Member Posts: 4
    edited October 2012
    Options

I have been on the trial since July 2012. No real side effects till I started taking 2 pills. I am sure it is the real thing. Some days I have a lot of lower GI issues. I will not be constipated for at least 5years. I need to get serious with my weight and am hoping metforman will help with that.

• IndigoMont11
    edited October 2012
    Options

I officially will start trial on 10/15 - get the study meds that day, since CBC was good the other day.  I think it is a 6-month supply.  I am torn between hoping I get the actual drug instead of the placebo, and hoping I can sidestep the GI stuff. 

kpraydick, hope rads is going well for you!  I'm about to start that, too.