Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Metformin-Anyone on this trial?

Options

Comments

• SelenaWolf
    SelenaWolf Member Posts: 231
    edited December 2012
    Options

Yep.  I was 50 at diagnosis and - everytime I had a consult or a test - I was asked, "... are you pregnant..."  Say, what?  I'm FIFTY!!!  But they said that they have to ask/test everyone woman who is under 55 years of age.

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited December 2012
    Options

Yes -- they even ran a preg test if I had to have a procedure done.  The best question asked - - when was my last period. I had just stated I had an ooph procedure done 2 years prior.  I sure hope the person in the uniform wasn't a nurse because she didn't seem to know what it was. This was an OB/GYN practise (I no longer go there......).

• rozem
    rozem Member Posts: 749
    edited December 2012
    Options

i was told they were checking liver function with the bloodwork

• whaevah
    whaevah Member Posts: 282
    edited February 2013
    Options

I have stopped taking Metformin as the GI problems for me were horrendous. The trial nurse has suggested we stop for 3 months and then reconsider. I really did not feel well during my 40 days on them...the double dose crippled me with inflammation of the bowels then lower back issues. I like to walk at least 5k x5 per week and with lower back severe pain, it wasn't comfortable to say the least.

I think overall it is hard to say what is happening as I am 90days PFC and 30days post rads. So...we shall see~

• AnnE16
    AnnE16 Member Posts: 38
    edited February 2013
    Options

Did anyone get constipated from taking this drug?  I tried the XR dose and then the regular dose too.  I went off of it b/c I couldnt stand the constipation after being so regular from my smoothies and juices!  But I still think there is something to this drug.  I told my Endo that I am keeping it on the back shelf for right now.

• Babs37
    Babs37 Member Posts: 320
    edited February 2013
    Options

I have a friend that has diabetes and she told me gets constipated on Metformine...so the other way around does happens.

• wildrumara
    wildrumara Member Posts: 109
    edited February 2013
    Options

My PCP gave it to me over the Summer and I took for one month and stopped because of constipation!!  I couldn't believe it.  Funny how it works differently on everyone.  I eventually took myself off it, although, I'm thinking of trying again here soon. 

• Outdamnedspot
    Outdamnedspot Member Posts: 164
    edited February 2013
    Options

Did anyone notice weight loss when taking it?

• Babs37
    edited February 2013
    Options

Didn't happen for me...Frown

• Sjesse12345
    Sjesse12345 Member Posts: 12
    edited February 2013
    Options

My GP agreed to give it to me, she has me on a low dose for now though, can I ask what dose people here are taking?  I am seeing her next week and want to get it on par with people on the trial.  Oh and definitely not constipation for me, the opposite.

• Babs37
    edited February 2013
    Options

The clinical trial protocole is 850mg- 2 times a day.

• whaevah
    edited February 2013
    Options

First 30 days...850mg x 1 ...day 31, 850mg twice per day. Always with meals.

• Chocolaterocks
    Chocolaterocks Member Posts: 94
    edited February 2013
    Options

HI I am not on the trial because I dont qualify as a 1a (they take 1c or higher) but I have been taking 1000 mg for a 1.5 years now. I have not lost any weight taking it.  I  take it with food since  on occasion it really has caused me stomach cramps.  I hope it helps.

CR

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 126
    edited February 2013
    Options

I have lost almost 30 pounds (I gained 35 during treatment - due to swelling, lack of activity, etc.) So am just about 8 pounds form my norm on a very large frame.  I think its the metformin as I've been on tamoxifen and that causes weight gain.  I had barely any stomach discomfort.  sorry to ehar about your side effects.

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited February 2013
    Options

Yes, I have lost some weight and I still have GI problems about once a week now according to what I eat. Not as bad as it was in the beginning. I have been in the trial for almost 1 yr and 6 mos now time is really flying by.

It would be great if they released some follow-up findings soon. I am curious. My study nurse said basically we will be BFF for a long time because she will be tracking me for awhile even after the study has ended.

• purple32
    purple32 Member Posts: 1,767
    edited March 2013
    Options

I have had some GI issues on this.

Has anyone tried probiotics /  ( like culturelle )  I was wondering.

• Ossa
    Ossa Member Posts: 685
    edited March 2013
    Options

Purple. I take probiotics every day.. made a huge difference for me.. make sure you get one that has the full spectrum..

I use one called HCP 70 and made by progressive. (get at healthfood store) i did try culturelle but find the HCP 70 works better for me

• lbrewer
    lbrewer Member Posts: 96
    edited March 2013
    Options

metformin has been used for years to treat diabetes and most of iys side effects are wll documented.  it is so cheap to produce that it is free at grocery stores here in fl.  my onc is part of the survey.  i told him i was just ordering it from an off-shore pharmacy.  the whole idea is so logical to me.  they know glucose excites tumors...thats why they give it before scans.  women with diabetes who take it have less bc than those who don't.  with the rise in obesity and diabetes, we konw see a rise in stage4 bc in young women.  i don't believe in coincidences!

• Timbuktu
    Timbuktu Member Posts: 1,423
    edited March 2013
    Options

Bella, i take a nap most afternoons.  never associated it to the metformin but it's an interesting idea.  Of course we have lots of other reasons to be exhausted, chemo, drugs, etc.

What I did discover is that you can't take metformin without eating.  One day i just had coffee for breakfast and went shopping and almost passed out.  The dr explained that you have to eat ifyou take metformin or your blood sugar plummets.

• outfield
    outfield Member Posts: 235
    edited March 2013
    Options

Timbuktu, there's actually no way of explaining what you experienced as due to metformin because metformin is not known to cause low blood sugar.  Pretty much every other treatment for diabetes can do that, but with metformin alone the incidence of low blood sugar is no higher than placebo.  Low blood sugar can definitely be a harbinger of type II diabetes, as glucose handling problems often first manifest with disordered pancreatic response that sometimes results in more of the body's own insulin being in the blood than is appropriate.  

• whaevah
    edited April 2013
    Options

bump

• cgesq
    cgesq Member Posts: 183
    edited April 2013
    Options

I asked my primary care dr. to prescribe metformin for its anti cancer potential and for its (hopefully) weight loss properties.  I wasn't eligible for the clinical trial.

What have your experiences generally been, especially for those who aren't diabetic to start?

Thanks,

• Timbuktu
    Timbuktu Member Posts: 1,423
    edited April 2013
    Options

I am borderline diabetic but the dr gave me the metformin because I asked for it.

I have not felt much of anything,  don't think.  Between the chemo, AI's, bp pills, vitamins, and metformin, I can't really say what is causing what.  But I haven;t noticed anything from the metformin.

• momoschki
    momoschki Member Posts: 218
    edited April 2013
    Options

I am not diabetic and my onc has had me on metformin for about 2 years now, after a dx of ADH. I take 500 mg 2x day. I can't say that I have had any side effects at all, and although I have lost weight (a total of about 18 lbs), I can't say it's directly due to the metformin. I have cleaned up my diet and ramped up my exercise in a major way. Perhaps the metformin does somewhat curb my appetite? Anyway, no downside, from my perspective.

• AlaskaAngel
    AlaskaAngel Member Posts: 694
    edited April 2013
    Options

I am on metformin, but I don't have any other chronic disease besides bc. I posted about this on the triple-positive forum:

http://community.breastcancer.org/topic_post?forum_id=80&id=764183&page=558#post_3500592 

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited April 2013
    Options

My doc prescribed Metformin for me as I missed out on the trial. I have been nervous about starting it, but you ladies have made me feel more comfortable. I hope I lose some weight on it.

• Outdamnedspot
    Outdamnedspot Member Posts: 164
    edited April 2013
    Options

I started taking it a week ago after my PCP kindly prescribed it after I told her about the trials and stuff I had read.  So far I feel fine.  A little tired and bitchy, but I think that might be a little pre-appointment anxiety...6 month check-up tomorrow.  And probably the lack of warm weather and sunshince.

She also mentioned that it might help to lower my slightly elevated bad cholesterol.  Bonus!

• satisfaction1
    satisfaction1 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi 

I am also in Ontario and really interested that you started on Metformin. I am seriously considering the same. I have more surgery and 2 more rounds of chemo..so it will be a while, but good choice on your part. I think it sounds very promising and the researcher in charge seems (Goodwin) seems amazing! Best of luck to you.

• maggs09
    maggs09 Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2013
    Options

Hi,

I don't post often, but since I've been taking Metformin off label since Xmas 2012, I thought I'd share my experience.

I started taking this drug almost at the same time as Tamoxifen, (well, about 2 weeks apart), when I was half way through rads. I didn't qualify for the trial because I had two primaries (breast and colon) at the same time. My onc couldn't prescribe Metformin as it is not approved for cancer tx, but she seemed happy that I was able to get it from another dr.

I take it always with food, morning and early evening 850mg each time. I can't say that I've lost any weight from it, but I haven't gained any either. I don't have any adverse SE at all. I had full blood work (including liver enzymes, creatinine, sugar and more done mid February - all normal).

I just hope that trial will confirm Metformin's anti cancer effect.

Does anyone know if there are any early results out?

• nkb
    nkb Member Posts: 1,561
    edited April 2013
    Options

I'm taking metformin also 850 mg twice per day. I don't have diabetes, have never been overweight, eat a super healthy diet and exercise every day but interestingly enough my fasting blood sugar was 99 which is borderline. My two obese sisters do not have diabetes.

I did have to start slow and gradually increase my dose, but I don't feel any side effects now. I was hoping it would help the constipation from the arimidex, but doesn't seem to have.