Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Metformin-Anyone on this trial?

Options

Comments

• IndigoMont11
    IndigoMont11 Member Posts: 42
    edited January 2015
    Options

No kidding. I've been on the double blind trial since 10/2012. I keep thinking they'll end it before my 5 years is up, since it's been going on awhile overall.

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited January 2015
    Options

I too have been on the clinical trial dose of Metformin. I get my liver checked every three months through bloodwork. It's been over a year and no I'll effects. My endocrinologist said she had seen it be helpful in preventing recurrences in other cancers besides breast cancer, although it it's my wonderful gynecologist who prescribes it for me. I plan to stay on it unless some negative effect occurs, which I highly doubt will.

I am triple negative and it is the only post-treatment drug we have so far. If I were you, I'd go for it!

Hugs,

Peggy

• katcar0001
    katcar0001 Member Posts: 320
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thanks everyone for the encouraging info! I am going to stick with it and try to move up my dosage over time. I found this interesting article--pretty technical, but it seems that Metformin with chemo could be very promising in the future. I would just go for it if I were doing chemo.

http://omicsonline.org/individualizing-chemotherapy-using-the-antidiabetic-drug-metformin-as-an-adjuvant-1948-5956.1000197.pdf

• funthing42
    funthing42 Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi

I'm looking at Rads for the second time. No one talks to me about anything outside the box or why this Ca keeps coming back.

Can you suggest any websites that can help me find information that is not standard protocol.

I need help. I will be off herceptin soon. Totally freaking.

• PatMom
    PatMom Member Posts: 322
    edited January 2015
    Options

I haven't kept up with alternatives funthing42, but there are two forums on this site where someone may be able to point you to some information. One is

Forum: Alternative Medicine

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/121

the other is

Forum: Complementary and Holistic Medicine and Treatment

https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/79

I hope that you can find answers, or at least the support that you are seeking.

• mary625
    mary625 Member Posts: 154
    edited January 2015
    Options

Dear FunThing: I find that I have had to push to get some of the things that I'm on. With others, the information has been volunteered. For Metformin, I got my PCP to prescribe under the diagnosis of metabolic syndrome. I have had that for years, largely untreated. Same thing for Simvastatin, which was suggested by my onc. I saw a 2nd onc in a different locale who recommended baby aspirin and turkey tail mushroom supplements. Right after treatment, I went to an integrative med/naturopath, who recommended a lot of things, some of which were for my thyroid, and I continue with Melatonin. Vitamin D is vitally important and was recommended by my onc as soon as treatment ended.

Out of all that, you'd only have to get a prescription for Metformin and Simvastatin.

Hope this helps.

• JohnSmith
    JohnSmith Member Posts: 61
    edited January 2015
    Options

I imagine this won't surprise anyone, but the latest research news explains that Metformin is playing a pivotal role in stopping prostate cancer.

Link: Drug combo suppresses growth of late-stage prostate cancer tumors

"Low doses of metformin, and a gene inhibitor known as BI2536 can successfully halt the growth of late-stage prostate cancer tumors, a Purdue University study finds.

• sandiesau
    sandiesau Member Posts: 8
    edited January 2015
    Options

Hi everyone I went to an integrated cancer clinic that is run by medical doctors who are also naturopaths. They take the best of both worlds in terms of preventing cancer from recurrence. They wrote me a prescription for metformin right away as well as upping my vitamin D. I was diagnosed in November 2012 and have taken 500 mg of metformin daily for  just about 3 years with absolutely no side effects

• funthing42
    funthing42 Member Posts: 236
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thank you such a positive breath of fresh air. Now this is what a Doctor should be: Open to Ideas and researching to save lives in combination with tried and true medicines.

Drives me nuts that some are sticks in the mud. :)

• katcar0001
    edited January 2015
    Options

Thanks for your postings. I have been waffling about continuing with Metformin or not. I am going to stick with it. The problem is that I have not told my doctors I am taking it, so I feel "guilty" like a kid sneaking cookies out of the cookie jar. I am afraid they'll take it away from me, so I am keeping my mouth shut. My confessions stay here ;-).

• PeggySull
    PeggySull Member Posts: 368
    edited January 2015
    Options

Regarding Metformin--I have been on the dosage they are using in the clinical trial for over 18 months and have had no side effects. I go for blood test for liver function once every 3 months. All liver function good so far. I am triple negative so this drug is all I have besides supplements, diet and exercise.

My endocrinologist said that Metformin is helpful not just in BC but in other cancers as well.

People interested in Metformin may find it difficult to get through MOs who are still awaiting the results of the big clinical trial but other docs such as my gynecologist will prescribe the studies' dosage. I brought mine a few of the smaller studies positive results in the beginning. He is really on board with it!

Hope this is helpful addition to the wonderful replies already made.

Hugs, peggy

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited February 2015
    Options

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Endocrinology/Diabetes...

Lower Lung Cancer Risk Seen in Nonsmokers on Metformin

But smokers taking the drug may have increased risk.

• cgesq
    cgesq Member Posts: 183
    edited March 2015
    Options

I have put myself on metformin about 2 months ago for its anti cancer properties. My primary care Dr. gave me the prescription, after my MO refused. I am not diabetic, or even pre-diabetic. I find that the clinical trial dosage (850 mg, 2x a day) makes me terribly constipated. Does anybody else have this SE?

• DorMac
    DorMac Member Posts: 153
    edited March 2015
    Options

This is the one major side effect that most people have to deal with - be sure to take your Metformin WITH FOOD.

Doreen

• sbelizabeth
    sbelizabeth Member Posts: 955
    edited March 2015
    Options

I was in a clinical trial at University of California for metformin and weight loss. It didn't particularly help with weight loss, but I had read the studies about recurrence prevention and metformin and wanted to get in the trial. I got the OK from my MO to participate. It was a double-blind study, but I knew I was on the real drug.

When the six-month study ended, my MO agreed to let me stay on metformin. I'm not diabetic, or pre-diabetic, and don't have metabolic syndrome, so I was happy she was agreeable to this.

No side effects for me, and I take 500mg twice a day.

I haven't done the reading for a statin and recurrence prevention. Is there good clinical evidence for this?

• new_direction
    new_direction Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2015
    Options

Some write 500 mg others much more - I read an article saying higher blood glucose levels needed higher doses but I'm still not sure which dose I should start off with?

• katcar0001
    edited March 2015
    Options

This is a re-post from the aspirin thread: I found a study on Metformin tonight that is a bit disturbing to me. It is a complex study that has some potentially good news for insulin resistant women and women with HER+ breast cancers doing neoajduvant therapy but not good news for other types: "Relative to placebo, metformin decreased ki-67 only in women with insulin resistance or HER2-positive tumors, whereas it showed a trend to an increase of ki-67 in the remaining women." Once again, I am overwhelmed at the complexity and heterogenity of the beast that is breast cancer.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC419613...

• mel147
    mel147 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for posting this article...very interesting. You are right about the complexity of breast cancer...very scary.

• new_direction
    new_direction Member Posts: 40
    edited March 2015
    Options

thank you for posting this katcar. Leaving me confused but will definitely look more into it now before I decide.

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited March 2015
    Options

For whatever it's worth. I tried metformin for a month. Gained weight, had bad constipation, suffered muscle weakness. ( I took a low dose.) I was skeptical when my onc suggested it to me as I had read for people who exercise vigorously, it may have the opposite effect as with non-exercisers. Maybe that has something to do with insulin resistance. I would guess I am not resistant as my fasting blood glucose and insulin are very low. I stopped taking it in any case. My doctor said to take it when I expect to be eating lots like on holidays.

• JohnSmith
    edited March 2015
    Options

Forgive my ignorance, but how do they test for insulin resistance?

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi everyone, I had an appt yesterday with a holistic Dr and he prescribed metformin for me, as well as some other things. My onc would not give it to me and he also wants me to do aromasin/afinitor. I am very scared of the afinitor so i went looking for an alternative. I will be doing the metformin 500 mg twice a day, as well as celebrex and Meriva which is a highly absorbable form of curcumin. he did a bunch of different blood tests and my A1c is at the high range of normal, so the metorfin was a good idea. I am going to take the aromasin and continue with xgeva. thanks for all of the good info on this thread.

• SlowDeepBreaths
    SlowDeepBreaths Member Posts: 6,702
    edited April 2015
    Options

I just received a letter today asking if I'm interested in a study on lifestyle change and metformin at UC San Diego. They said they got my name from a Tumor Registry?? Has anyone else received a letter on this??

• sbelizabeth
    edited April 2015
    Options

SlowDeepBreaths, I was in this trial at UCSD. It was a six-month trial (I think) that studied, among other things, weight loss with counseling, weight loss without counseling, and with/without metformin. I was in the "without counseling/with metformin arm." They were very nice and arranged all my visits according to my scheduling needs. I would do it again. PM me if you want.

• SlowDeepBreaths
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thank you sb! I will run it by my MO at my next visit coming up soon. I didn't even know they had a tumor registry. Are we all automatically in that registry?

• sbelizabeth
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yes. I'm not sure about other states, but California maintains a tumor registry on the State level. I wasn't aware the registry was used to solicit patients for participation in clinical trials, but I suppose that's a good purpose for it. I don't believe "just anyone" can access registry data, due to HIPAA protections.

Were you aware that almost every state also has a controlled substance registry, in which every prescription filled for any controlled substance is entered? It helps prevent individuals from "doctor shopping," or going around from doctor to doctor, asking for multiple prescriptions for drugs. You have to be a registered pharmacist or licensed physician to access the registry, and it has prevented a lot of drug misuse.

• sbelizabeth
    edited April 2015
    Options

http://www.ccrcal.org/Inside_CCR/FAQ.shtml#info

Here's the link to the page describing California's Cancer Registry, including its purpose and when information may be shared for research purposes.

• SlowDeepBreaths
    edited April 2015
    Options

Thank you for the link. I must admit I was a little disturbed when I received the letter. I had no idea they kept a registry.

• sbelizabeth
    edited April 2015
    Options

Yeah, I hear you!  But I work with health-related registries all the time, and it's the only way to collect valuable statistical data.  If you want to opt out of receiving any research-related information generated by the registry, you can do that.

I think our MOs should probably tell their patients that there's a registry that will have their cancer-related data.  At the same time, a registry isn't a concept most people would think about...at least until they get a letter asking for participation in research!

Have you considered the UCSD trial? 

• JohnSmith
    edited April 2015
    Options

Here's another research study showing the power of Metformin against cancer. They found great results when combining Vit D & Metformin together to fight Colorectal Cancer. I know this isn't a breast cancer study, but Metformin continues to show use against numerous types of cancers.

Anti-Diabetic Drug Metformin and Vitamin D3 Show Impressive Promise in Preventing Colorectal Cancer
    Case Western Reserve scientists collaborate with China's Lanzhou University investigators in exploring the dual compound strategy

I look forward to the results of the Metformin Breast Cancer trial(s).