Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Not quite a horder - decluttering

Options

Comments

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    edited August 2011
    Options

Pattoo----sometimes I try to time it as to how fast a discarded item at the curb is gone. We picked up a discarded table one time. My DH put a couple of screws in to fix the leg, sand and refinshed the butcher block top and repainted the white base---DS used it for multiple years in college. Two chairs that were  a match to the table were at the dumpster at the thrift store. We took them home, gave them a soap and water wash--they didn't even need a paint job. When I last saw them at DS's college place, well they did need to go to the dumpster. BUT we had no money into them so............

• patoo
    patoo Member Posts: 5,243
    edited August 2011
    Options

SAS, yes, it tickles me to see how stuff can disappear from the curb long before the garbage truck gets there.  I do try and put stuff out the night before so people have time to take a look and haul it away before the next morning. 

• karen4u
    karen4u Member Posts: 27
    edited August 2011
    Options

Just found this thread ladies and I fit right in.....I am a hoarder!!!  Of course I would like to think of myself as an organized one though.  Through the years I have kept all the cards that people have sent me for different occasions and every once  in a while I will go through and read them.  It always lifts my spirits.  A few years back I seperated them into boxes by occasion....I know, OCD.  Now I need to finish up seperating all my photos.

• patoo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Okay, busy days behind me, for now, so will try and do some more decluttering this weekend.  Anyone join me?

• Dilly
    Dilly Member Posts: 394
    edited August 2011
    Options

Today I got rid of a couple passed-down family things my nephew & wife didn't know they wanted...nothing real special, just stuff... but they seemed to think "special"...

They now have the stuff, and I now have a couple more cubic feet of space. And we're both Laughing

I still have a big box in the middle of the garage that needs to go to the fire dept thrift store...  

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568
    edited August 2011
    Options

Son sold 2 of his bikes and an I-pod chair at consignment today.

Gave us more room in the basement and some extra spending money for him...

Win-Win!

• Linda-n3
    Linda-n3 Member Posts: 1,713
    edited August 2011
    Options

Good job, Teka!  I cleaned out my underwear drawer.  Why do we keep OLD underewear "just in case I need them" as if I am not going to do laundry for a month???? So, out went the really old stuff!!!! Now nothing in that drawer has a hole, run, or stain in it, and it all fits!!!

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited August 2011
    Options

I've gotten rid of some old beddings. I kept them just in case I had a ton of overnight guests. Also, a big bag of shopping bags is going into the trash. Should look into my drawers too. 

• Dilly
    edited August 2011
    Options

Teka that's a good idea.  I've been at that for awhile now, and often can only manage a paper grocery sack-full -- but still, it is cumulative, and after awhile really noticable.

Good idea on the undie drawer - I keep the "just in case" ones as well...

• Linda-n3
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Lost_Creek, I just can't understand myself on that one!  What IS that "just in case" all about???? There must be some deep psychological aberrancy there or something....  Wink
  • Linda-n3
    edited August 2011
    Options

Teka, I think you have identified it!!! I have not needed it for years, but by habit just kept them around.  Thanks for helping me solve this one.... I seem to get caught up in that psychological stuff, wondering "gee, what does it all mean?"  How liberating!

• patoo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Started new bag where I put clothes, one-by-one, as I take them out of the closet to either wear or give away.  Linda, I think I will clean my underwear drawer also when I go upstairs tonight.  Sock drawer too!  Thanks for the idea.

• Linda-n3
    edited August 2011
    Options

Oh, Patoo - great idea about the bag of clothes!  There are a few things in my closet that I just want to wear one more time, then get rid of them because they are favorites, but just don't meet my needs for work and play anymore.  So once a week, as I put away laundry, I think I will look at what is there and pull out at least one item per week - either wear it or give it away!!

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    edited August 2011
    Options

i haven't bsed to have a friend to pass them on to.. no longer a friend. dissappearred since bc.. so, i had to really work up the nerve, but have done one closet full. i have 2 more yet!!!een here in awhile, but am still de cluttering as much as i csn; but a little a time. my health has been testy for awhile..

i did find out one thing that was driving my "hoardingzZ" of old clothes. i used to have a friend to "pass them along to" she disappearred during tx. and i haven't sent any out. i've now, taken a big breath, and found a thrift store to take them to. they sell pretty well, i understand, and the $$ goes to a "no kill" shelter for animals. that gave me a good reason to clean one clost out...

since i've got le now, nothing is fitting the way it used to. so, 2 more closets to go!!!jeesh, i live a quiet life, how many outfits DO i need!!!!  thanks, gals, for the encouragement. i know im truly " not alone"...............3jays

• Angelice
    Angelice Member Posts: 1,116
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hey ladies I finally got to do my closet 6 bags later between my clothes and hubby I'm happy , now for the rest of the cupboards :) takes effort, energy, time :)

• Dilly
    edited August 2011
    Options

Old undies - past the period part, is the ever-present "what if somehow I NEED that? What if I don't have money when it's time for new?  They're still ok, just change 'em if you're going out..."... so for me the psych is part fear, and part "Yankee thrift." 

My dh takes Yankee thrift to an extreme and he makes me crazy.  He was raised by a German grandmother who'd lived through wars & depressions and who kept a box under her bed (they found it after she passed) labeled and containing

"String too Short to Save"

• heidihill
    heidihill Member Posts: 1,856
    edited August 2011
    Options

Too funny!

• patoo
    edited August 2011
    Options

That is funny!

I like the idea about getting rid of clothes while folding laundry.  And I also live a quiet life so why do I need three large closets of clothes?  Some are really old time favorites but I will never, ever, get into them again and some are just too young for me.  Goal for the weekend is to fill the one bag and start another.

• Linda-n3
    edited August 2011
    Options

Had my professional organizer here today! Tackled the area that had been accumulating boxes and miscellaneous from the rest of the house that I have been avoiding making decisions on.  She headed straight for that mess right off the bat... I cringed... nearly had panic attack... onward we worked... and VICTORY is MINE!!!  My fireplace had been hidden behind boxes, bags, stuff to toss, stuff to go elsewhere, and now those things are all gone and my fireplace is beautiful and the room is now cozy and inviting instead of the beginnings of a horror show!

Laughing

• Linda-n3
    edited August 2011
    Options

By the way, Pattoo, I thought there were things in my closet I would never fit into again, and had started cleaning some things out before breast cancer.  I lost over 20 pounds during treatment, so now am scrounging to find clothes to fit..... not to suggest you keep things that don't fit you, but if they are truly favorites, you might keep a couple around.... am very glad I did!  Of course, I am terribly out of style.....

• patoo
    edited August 2011
    Options

n3ypb, congrats on uncovering your fireplace.  That's a big accomplishment.

I hear you about the clothes but if I manage to lose another 20 lbs I will reward myself with "new" favorites during a shopping spree.  Actually the old favorites are kind of dressy and I really don't go anyplace that special anymore.  (party days are long gone)

• patoo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Teka, are you unloading older items?  That would be one method - item in; item out.  I also need up-to-date stuff as I'm wearing some items that are 20 years old.

• hotandcold
    hotandcold Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello everyone,

So great to read about everybodys progress. It's too hot to work on my garage. 115 degress F. here in Arizona today. Working inside a bit. I sent 10 T-shirts, 2 shorts, 4 pairs of shoes, and 3 dresses and other things to Goodwill.  3 bags went in the trash. I did buy 5 new t-shirts and 2 new shorts. I hit a great sale at Macy's.   So my closet is looking pretty good.  I remember reading somewhere that old clothes make you look old. I don't need to look any older than I am.  I think somewhere around 40 I stopped buying new clothes except when totally necessary. I've seen this with so many women where our  wardrobe seems to hit a standstill.  I have kept a few old things like classic black dress etc. I'll never feel young again, but at least I feel more modern with my new clothes,  

• 3jaysmom
    edited August 2011
    Options

well, got some real progress here, and then got sick . now, im simply frustrated. i have found a line of clothes that ar expensive; they're made of material called "slinky" and its wonderful. I bought one 3 piece "suit" not structured, real soft. on HSN; but it cost too much for anymore. then, i found a place in an indoor flea market here that sells the whole outfit for the cost of one piece by the other site. so, i've gotten one in almost every color in the rsinbow. they're comfortable. light enough for s. Fla. so, now, the big job is go thru the closets, match tops for the sets, and declutter the rest.. its a big job, i have 3 closets!!!but, one little bit at a time. im getting a little better, even sick, i can take two sets of clothes out, and sort them. by the end of the wk' we have a big bag for goodwill....heres to a little at a time, but getting it done!............3jays

• patoo
    edited August 2011
    Options

I also have 3 closets, one full to the hilt the other 2 just have stuff I haven't worn in ages.  Saw on community TV channel a call for clothes for women in a shelter so need to sit and watch for it again.  I have about 10 suits that I haven't worn in at least 5 years so need to unload them.  Turning the channel now and will get that info to call.  Aha, turned it on DVR so I don't have to try and get the info before it goes by.  (I'm so smart!  Laughing)

hotandcold - thanks for that thought.  I never thought of it that way but I know my clothes need to be updated as I've been saying for probably a year that my clothes are worn out.  Problem is finding things as I seem to be in that age gap, stores have clothes that are either too young (everything hanging out) or too old (dowdy) so I end up frustrated.and still wearing clothes past their expected lifecycle.

3jaysmom - hope you are feeling better.

Teka, have fun shopping. 

• 3jaysmom
    edited August 2011
    Options

thanks, patoo. i'll feel a lot better when this place gets more order, thats a for sure.. onward, and upward...     3jays

• patoo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hoping to make some headway this weekend since Irene has sent many plans awry.  I'm more inland so probably will only get lots of rain and heavy winds but should not be damaging.  I plan on cleaning this weekend and trying to sort stuff into 'donate' and 'throw out' - notice there is no 'keep' listed.  Okay, so I'll also have a 'maybe' that can be thought about for a spell.

Those of you on the east coast, be careful and stay safe.

• samsue
    samsue Member Posts: 599
    edited August 2011
    Options

I've been working in the yard more this summer so not so much decluttering going on inside. I did get a bunch of old magazines thrown out. Why do I save the magazines??? I don't know. Some  of them were at least 5 years old. Still needing to shred old receipts and payment stubs. (this one is hard for me since it's so boring and takes forever to shred)

• patoo
    edited August 2011
    Options

lost my last post to Irene.

Night friends; stay safe.

• patoo
    edited August 2011
    Options

Storm passed with no significant problem in my area but nearby towns did not fare as well.  Overall however so far people have only lost power, downed trees need to get cleared and flooding subside.