Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

ER-, PR-, Her2+ Roll call

Options

Comments

• juviben
    juviben Member Posts: 6
    Options

Thanks, guys.  They got all my cancer out, which is awesome.  None had spread to the nodes and all the margins were totally clear.  I'm trying to focus on that.  Is the Herceptin given through a port?  She mentioned me having a port.  Does the Herceptin have side effects, too, like hair loss, nausea, etc.?  Or, is it pretty mild?

• marjie
    marjie Member Posts: 365
    Options
    juviben - Herceptin is pretty easy (IMO) compared to chemo.  There is no hair loss or nausea but you may experience some aches and pains in your joints but it's totally manageable.  I have a port and I'm really thankful for it since they no longer have to jab and search for usable veins for the IV. 
  • leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    Options

I love my port and am insisting they keep it in after my surgery on Thursday so I can receive the rest of my Herceptin treatments through it.  This past week was my first treatment of only Herceptin and it was way easier on me than the other treatments. I am off steroids, didn't get a rash (was from the taxol), and had no nausea. I was a little fatigued and had a runny nose but that was all.

• nevo84
    nevo84 Member Posts: 55
    Options

Dear Lilah

Next monday my mom has an appointment with his oncologist and I'll surely ask him. Thank you for your advice

Dear Juviben- I'm so glad that everything went well. My mom doesn't have any side effects from Herceptin besides this miracle drug gave her high morale. I hope it will work for u the same

• Lilah
    Lilah Member Posts: 2,631
    Options

Herceptin is way easier to take than regular chemo (for those who asked).  I had some achy joints and a crusty nose while I completed the year.  After I was done that all went away within a matter of weeks/months.

• toughmom38
    toughmom38 Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hello ladies-

I am also an unfortunate member of the ER-/PR-/HER2+ club.  Finished Herceptin 3/10/11, got my port out 3/18/11.  Had my three month check-up yesterday, he didn't find anything during examination, I can call Monday for results of bloodwork.  So far so good!!! 16 months today since diagnosis... Smile

Jennifer

• maryannecb
    maryannecb Member Posts: 74
    Options

Next month it will be 6 years since I found my lump. I am delighted to say that I am in excellent health...doing anything I want..and planning my future.

From early on I decided to live each day and have no regrets, I only occasionally think of BC each day. I still worry about recurrence but less so as time passes.

BC has made me more aware of my mortality but it has not robbed me of my joy of life.

Fists up!

Mary-Anne

• nevo84
    Options

Dear maryannecb

Congratulations on your sixth year. I like your profile picture. It says "Fists Up" and it is really needed. Thank you for your post

• sewingnut
    sewingnut Member Posts: 475
    Options

MaryAnne, Thanks for the post. It is encouraging to see and hear from others that have passed the 5 year mark.

• Survivorwoman
    Survivorwoman Member Posts: 70
    Options

MaryAnne--thank you for posting and congratulations! You inspired me greatly today.

• amlg1
    amlg1 Member Posts: 77
    Options

Juviben...I had A/C DD then T/H and herceptin for a year.It sue is scary getting all these drugs,but chemo was doable for me.You hear such terrible stories,I thought what the heck???is something not working.I didn't have many side effects at all,and I had aggressive chemo.Herceptin is a piece of cake.Good Luck.

• Slainte
    Slainte Member Posts: 55
    Options

Off to MUGA scan this morning. In my family we call them muggle scans. Maybe this time I will show some which abilities and be able to go off to the wizzarding world . :))

Christine

• ReadingMama
    ReadingMama Member Posts: 338
    Options

Slainte - lol, I need a good laugh today, thanks!  My dd is reading Harry Potter now and she is always talking about which house each of us would be in!

mary-Anne - thanks for the post, its very encouranging!!

• nevo84
    Options
    I love Harry Potter series.I've read them several times.Laughing
  • Slainte
    Options

My 19 year old grew up with Harry Potter, she is a HP nut! The last movie is coming out in July . She will be at the midnight showing in full HP costume ( providing we can get tickets---fingers crossed). I might even go to the midnight showing with her since it's the last one!

Her full gear includes robe, glasses wand and of course scar. I have always said to her , if she fins a boy who embraces her passion for HP she had better grab him! Lol

• Lilah
    Options

OK -- now I've lost 11.5 pounds -- woo hoo!

• Lilah
    Options

Nevo -- keep us posted about your mom.

• slousha
    slousha Member Posts: 181
    Options

Hi Pecmakabo,

Let us know how you are coming through chemo? How are you feeling?  What's about your DRs deciding?

Best Usha

• mikamomof3
    mikamomof3 Member Posts: 11
    Options

Juviben, welcome!  I just finished my second round of chemo yesterday (EC) and it went much better than the 1st!!!

All, how bad are side effects of Herceptin?  I did a muga scan to chek my heart yesterday to start my Herceptin in 3 weeks with next chemo on June 30th.  However, I am planning on flying to NY for a family reunion for the week of July 4th.  I do not want to feel bad - well any worse than I do now.  Would it be awful to put it off until the next chemo after vacation?  Thanks!

• sewingnut
    sewingnut Member Posts: 475
    Options

I had weekly Herceptin during TCH treatments.  The only SE I had was a runny nose the first few times.  When I went to the 3 week Infusions I had no SE.  Have fun on vaction.

• nevo84
    Options

Dear Lilah

My mom is in her 19th course of radiation from 25 prescribed by her doctor. At first sessions we feel that she is in depression but now she is really fine. As I said before she had lower back pain we asked her doctor and he said everything is fine and the pain is from her waist problem which is Waist Disk. We are soooo happy that everything is fine. Also my mom's eyelashes and eyebrows are growing back and she is so happy about that.

• Lilah
    Options

Nevo -- wahooo!  That is great news about the cause of the pain.  And six more TX in the radiation means she is almost done!

• marjie
    Options
    mikamomof3 - I am about half way thru my Herceptin and it's really not bad.  I have definite joint pain and it's pretty slow and achey to get moving in the mornings but once I am going it's all right.  This is a common SE from herceptin but not all women experience it.  If it gets particulary bad I just take a few tylenol or an advil and I'm fine.
  • soccermom
    soccermom Member Posts: 55
    Options

I really had little or no SE from Herceptin, every three weeks for a year. I would sometimes get a little diarhhea which was easily controlled with Immodium- and a little extra tired on infusion day- it was stressful for sure to have to keep going back to the infusion room for an entire extra year and see others getting treatment- I had the worst time with regular chemo SE's and emotionally it was just hard going for that extra year- but so well worth it!

• Slainte
    Options

MUGA scan back, and it looks good. I have stayed aaround %66 the whole time. I guess I am on track for my next "IV injection if the flu" aka perception next Monday morning. By afternoon I have a runny nose, fever and chills and extra aches and pains. Hahaha. Instan flu lol

Christine

• marjie
    Options
    Christine - do they give you tylenol with your infusion? They do that for me right before they start the drip and that seems to take the edge off 
  • Slainte
    Options

I will try tylenol next Monday. I always forget until I don't feel well. I'm sure it will work much better taken ahead. Thanks

Christine

• Southamptonmom
    Southamptonmom Member Posts: 71
    Options

I am a newby, and found out this week I am er/pr-, her2+. I am having A/C x4, THx12wks, surgery, then H to finish the year. Did any of you Stg III ladies have surgery first? I can't stand thinking about not getting it out of me. I started Chemo Friday. Lots of burning in my sinuses, throat, and headache. I'm a little queezy. Today I went for the neulasta injection. Not looking forward to the next treatment. I have no evergy just from being stressed out.

• suemed8749
    suemed8749 Member Posts: 210
    Options

Hi Southampton - So sorry you've had to join our club - I had surgery first, but think of it this way: your doctors will be able to see what works in your particular case, then they'll be able to take anything that's left OUT.

I had a few rough days after chemo/Neulasta, but then felt OK the next week and pretty darned good the third week. Hopefully you'll be feeling a lot better soon.

As for no energy - listen to your body, rest, and eat whatever tastes good. I understand the stressed out part - I lost about 25 lbs from Jan - July that year, and it was from stress. The only time in my 32-yr marriage that my husband was trying to make me eat!

Wishing you well,

Sue 

• Lilah
    Options

Southhampton - drink a lot of water.  My Oncologist told me to do so and I was a maniac!  I think it helped me alot on infusion days.