Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

A place to talk death and dying issues

Comments

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited September 2015

Skylotus- wrapping you in lovingkindness and sending metta your way for you and your wonderful family. Hugs.

• skylotus
    skylotus Member Posts: 265
    edited September 2015

Thank you Terre, and for checking on me... Thank you Ronnie and thank you Rosevalley.

I do hope that in sharing, it does help someone else one day. We all have a story and we all have much to share, especially in our own individual strengths.

A friend, co-worker, bc sister passed away last night after a three year struggle with this disease. This is my third friend to pass from this disease. That's three too many times a hundred thousand more times infinity until there is a cure

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    edited September 2015

Sky, I'm so sorry about your friend. I hope she and her family are at peace, and I wish the same for you and yours.

• KiwiCatMom
    KiwiCatMom Member Posts: 2,337
    edited September 2015

So sorry to read of your friend's passing Sky. And yes - three too many. Sending you hugs and love.

• skylotus
    edited September 2015

All day yesterday I had this impending feeling of what am I forgetting....???

Then my girlfriend came over and asked if I've thought about writing out Christmas/Holiday cards, and if I do, she'll mail them for me if necessary, at that time.

What a wonderful idea! We talked about some ideas for my "Celebration of Life" and what it may/could include.

I just wanted to share in case this idea can help someone else....

Feeling grateful....

• Xavo
    Xavo Member Posts: 244
    edited September 2015

Sky, you are simply wonderful to have such a big heart! In a moment like this, your thoughts are still with others. No wonder your friends want to celebrate your beautiful life! Wish you a very nice day today.

Calico, Rosevalley, Hortens, and Blondie, wish you all a very nice day today, too!

• MameMe
    MameMe Member Posts: 215
    edited September 2015

Dear Sky, Thank you so much for keep on sharing your thoughts and decisions. It means so much to those of us who have mets. I love your attitude and spirit, and am on the sidelines rooting for you to have continued peace no matter what turns the process takes. I am so glad for this thread. xo Mame

• blondiex46
    blondiex46 Member Posts: 2,726
    edited September 2015

Sky what a great idea.....

Calico worried

• ronniekay
    ronniekay Member Posts: 657
    edited September 2015

What a wonderful friend you have, Sky!  So glad you have friends who understand those times/things/events that are important to you.  I'll be really happiest if you can send those cards yourself!

My love to all...and adding SyrMom...I'm missing her too.

• LindaE54
    LindaE54 Member Posts: 1,379
    edited September 2015

A very good friend of mine and I participated in an art therapy group a few years ago. I have a painting she did hanging on my wall. She came over yesterday and said to me that she would like me to leave that to her in due course. I was just so happy that we can now talk openly about death and no longer pretend it won't happen. I know it took her a lot of courage to say that.

• skylotus
    edited September 2015

http://www.rt.com/news/316005-supermoon-lunar-ecli...

I'm so happy I found my way back to BCO and all the lovely ladies here. When I had stopped posting back in January, everything was getting to be too much for me...the two chemotherapy regimens, the 3-4 times a week alternative therapies, all the different protocols I was practicing. I stopped blogging as well. I probably fell into a bit of a funk I would imagine. I don't take anti-depressants, they're just not for me. I know a lot of people do take them and it works for them, so I strongly believe no one needs to ever stand in judgement of that, or of anyone else, in the choices they make.

I'm tankful to Ebru for allowing me to post on her quotes thread every day. When I was on FB, which I am no longer, I ran a couple of "closed groups" as an Employee Assistance Peer Support Rep, and the stickers, I call them, are leftovers saved to my phone that I'm simply sharing with the lovely ladies here.

And....each and every one of you are lovely, there is no other word. This disease is horrible. That anyone has to deal with it at any level, or stage, is a true testament to our spirit and loveliness.

My daughter and I posted the big orange DNR on the refrigerator the day before yesterday. That is rather unsettling to see everyday. A constant reminder. There is a spot for a picture on the DNR. I'm looking to put a picture of some cartoonish caraciature in that spot. Might as well try to have fun with it...I suppose.

My girlfriend said life is so unfair. And it is. It really is sometimes. But, death is a part of life, it's part of the ebb and flow of life. The waves of the ocean roll in, and then they roll out, continuous motion. And that is why it is so important to celebrate all the good moments in life, simply because it can be so unfair sometimes. But, if we focus on the good, the unfairness becomes smaller.

There is an amazing moon Sunday, the next one like it won't happen again until 2033! I added a link for the curious minded at the top. I hope everyone can take a moment tomorrow night to look at it and contemplate all the beauty happening in your world right now....

Namaste

• ronniekay
    edited September 2015

We are blessed that you came back to post, Sky...as you said, if something you say can help others at our time & place when tx is no longer an option (wanted or needed), you've already done so a hundred fold!  Your blog is wonderful...I checked it out.  Anxious to see the moon...love you all to there & back :-)

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited September 2015

I have not opened this thread until today as I am a relative newbie that is still reeling from my news. However, I am feeling the importance of preparing myself in many ways and it helps to read these perspectives. I find myself gathering and giving things away already. Skylotus, your grace and acceptance of how things are unfolding are such a source of peace to me as well. I pray for you and myself that I will be able to find some measure of peace with my eventual passing as well. Blessings to all of you ladies...

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited September 2015

My friends here. Scuttlers posted this and it's just to good to miss. It's all the bonehead comments in one place.

5 hours ago scuttlers wrote:

Scuttler: I may make a copy, put on the fridge, and play bingo for one week. If I get a "Bingo", hubby takes me to dinner. If I get a "full card", I get a full spa treatment. Then all those idiots would be wondering why I jump up and down and scream happily at their stupid and asinine remarks. :-). !!!!!

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited September 2015

omg. This is just too funny.

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2015

Divine, Take a look back, I just added how Scuttlers is going to use it. Masterful. sassy

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,607
    edited September 2015

Lol, great idea! A good way to tolerate the insensitive remarks of others!

• LindaE54
    edited September 2015

Sas - absolutely priceless!

• sas-schatzi
    edited September 2015

Thank you all, but it was Scuttlers post and her way of handling the responses. I just reposted with her permission. Technically per TOS I spammed. There's still a possibility that I will get banned. Happened once before for a month trying to repost a good thing. Good intentions always don't fly. But your right it was too priceless not to spread around. Hmmmm wouldn't it be fun to carry the BINGO card. and pull it out and mark it when a senseless person made a remark and then go BINGO.....................

• ronniekay
    edited September 2015

Sky....the moon is definitely putting on a show!  8:13 pm, PDT...very dark sky, then the moon with a very faint red glow, getting brighter at the bottom...looks like it's full of air, very round.  Our place faces west so we came to a parking lot by the airport...it's lined w/cars & people observing.  8:30...getting brighter, like an orange basketball. The texture of the surface is awesome.  Wondering if sisters watched it across the world! Just got back in the car...too many people smoking weed...never have been a fan...LOL.  8:40...red going away, crescent very, very bright.  Goodnight :-)

• Jessica_07
    Jessica_07 Member Posts: 3
    edited September 2015

My husband was diagnosed with Lymphoma Meningitis in April. He had 4 rounds of high dose chemo and an autologous stem cell transplant. He finished everything in July and is still having some precautionary methotrexate shots through his ommaya port every two weeks. We were told a few weeks ago, there is minimal enhancement on his MRI ... not knowing if it is cancer or not, they decided to do localized radiation.

For the last two weeks, he has been having very bad headaches along with vomiting. Thinking it was a side effect of the chemo shots we weren't too concerned, but yesterday he had his first radiation treatment and this morning he woke up headache/nausea free.

Now I am worried that he still has cancer in his brain. Anyone with anyone going through a similar issue?

Jessica

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,306
    edited September 2015

Jessica: Sorry about your DH. There's a great thread to post questions if you're not Stage IV. Here's the link. https://community.breastcancer.org/forum/8/topic/7...

There's also a good thread for caregivers that you might find helpful.

• skylotus
    edited October 2015

Hi Lovely Ladies!

That BINGO card was great!

My youngest daughter wanted to post about me to FB, and given that I'm not a FB fan, but I understand a lot of the reasons why people are, I said I'd prefer that maybe she would reconsider. And she said: "this is about my feelings." And she's right...so I took a step back and she posted a very beautiful, heartfelt "update" along with a picture of the four of us taken about one year ago. I still have hair, so it was before chemo, but my face is puffy, so after brain radiation and steroids. My kids look awesome though! 😉

My oldest daughter came by tonight and showed me the post and comments that followed...and I felt the strangest disconnect.... Is somebody dying, I thought? All these words of passing, peace, blessings, thoughts, sorrow, with you and your family, are for me? I'm fine! I'm still alive! I might live for weeks, or months yet! Why is everyone being all full of sorrow?

It was the strangest thing. It didn't make me feel better. And then I thought, my daughter posted this because it was about how she was feeling. She wanted some outside support. I'm used to being independent and doing things on my own. I've nearly always been self-reliant and self-sufficient. That doesn't mean that she has to be that way too. Another step back, another step in letting go.

And I'm thinking this as I've gone to using a walker now. My left thigh and buttock have gone numb. And I get "jolts" (no other word to describe it) in my spine. They last long enough for me to say ahh-oww. So, I'm seeing that the disease is progressing....but, I'm still alive! I'm not in denial, I know I look like hell (on paper at the very least). It was just the weirdest thing, the feeling disconnected somehow

• blondiex46
    edited October 2015

YEP WE R STILL ALIVE

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited October 2015

hey Blondie,

Good to see you still have your sense of humor. You are an amazing woman! Glenna

• blondiex46
    edited October 2015

Thanks glenn but not really, we have to keep out sense of hmor, hru

Anything from calico

• LindaE54
    edited October 2015

Good to read you Blondie and Skylotus. Also worried about Calico.

• ronniekay
    edited October 2015

Sky...I read your Facebook conundrum with much interest.  Once again, I can feel where you're coming from...and am amazed at your ability to express the thoughts & feelings I would expect from my own heart!  I am on fb, mostly to keep up w/family, but I'm amazed & sometimes a bit overwhelmed by peoples' heartfelt comments when I or my kids have shared news. I've not shared many good tests, etc, because I start thinking some day it may not be good & I don't want to read sad comments.  Technology today.  Anyhooo...wondering how you, Blondie, Calico, SyrMom...just wishing we were all on a sunny beach together.

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited October 2015

On Oct 2 I received a very sweet PM from Calico's DH that she was still with us but unable to reply to messages. I asked her DH to give her my love and well wishes* on her journey. I wasn't sure whether to pass this on and waited to see if there would be a posting. Nothing. Since Calico is very much loved, I wanted to pass it on, so you can pray/ petition the universe in anyway your tradition honors the dying - for Calico and her family.

Hugs to you all.

(* By well wishes I mean wishing for spiritual peace and readiness to embrace death with courage and acceptance.)

• LindaE54
    edited October 2015

Oh Rosevalley, thank you so much for the update on Calico. She is my thoughts and prayers. I hope she is comfortable and surrounded with love. Indeed, she is very much loved. It breaks my heart.