Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

A place to talk death and dying issues

Comments

• GatorGal
    GatorGal Member Posts: 750
    edited December 2015

p.s. Sherrie, so happy for your NED results. We need to celebrate good news, even on this thread!

Especially on this thread!

• susan3
    susan3 Member Posts: 2,631
    edited December 2015

keeps mom, I am on palliative chemo. Been on for 4 years. Hasn't been too bad. Wouldn't be here if I didn't go on chemos. That was my choice, got to do what makes you feel bette

• letranger
    letranger Member Posts: 166
    edited December 2015

skylotus, we have not forgotten that your bday falls on Xmas day. Anxiously awaiting to blow out the virtual candles with you.🎂 Hope you are comfortable.

Anyone heard from sky

• Keesmom
    Keesmom Member Posts: 23
    edited December 2015

Hi,

I really wish there were a "like" button here. I go to respond and then forget the persons name I wish to respond too. Ok, well first things first.

Got my ruptured implant removed this afternoon. Everything went great. I am very happy to report that aside from the pain from the removal, there is no longer any back/shoulder blade pain, and honestly, the pain I had been in for the past 2 months was so bad, that the surgical pain isn't too rough. My plastic surgeon said the rupture wasn't as messy as he feared, and he was able to remove all the scar tissue that had encapsulated it as well as correct a lot of the radiation damage in there. He also removed the latissimus dorsi muscle that was like a rolled towel on the side of the implant, under my arm so it is back to normal when I put my arm down for the first time in 5 years! It really looks a bit freaky. Just surgical glue so I get to see it all. Parts are swollen, parts are concave so I will have to wait and see. Hell, anything will be better than the rock that was there.

Rose, I'm glad you got to spend your daughter's birthday with her. Wish you could keep some food down. So sorry you were so sick.

I received the MBC book and I am looking forward to reading it tomorrow while I re-coop. Thanks!

My next step is to meet with the new Onc on 1/6, tell her what I am hoping for, asking about any clinical trials available, what she would do in my shoes regarding treatment if any, talk about pain relief when needed, getting a prescription for acupuncture, chiropractic, PT etc because my health ins. covers these, and also to talk about what scans I need and about hospice. I also want this port out since it hasn't been used in a year and I want it out.

So that is the update from here. 25 more minutes until pain pills and then maybe I will feel sleepy. The anesthesia messed up my sleep.

Love an healing gentle hugs to all. Talk to you beauties tomorrow. Sweet Dreams.

Barb

• Rosevalley
    Rosevalley Member Posts: 1,664
    edited December 2015

Keesmom- wonderful to have that relief getting that out! I am sure your body will appreciate it. Why if you were having so much pain did they wait 2 months to remove it? seems like a long time. Glad your movement has returned so quickly. Are you sure about the port? Are your veins decent? Mine are crummy and the port is a life saver - well a stick saver ha ha. I understand wanting it removed if it's not being used. I have used acupuncture with great success and recommend it if you can find someone really good. The person I used was trained in Japan and China and he was awesome. I am fairly needle phobic and I would nearly fall asleep on the table looking like a pin cushion. It's heaven. I am sorry about the brain radiation was it not successful? I hope you heal up from your surgery and get some sleep.

It was heaven spending a birthday with my daughter. Tomorrow there is a concert to attend and I am praying for the energy to go and enjoy it. Today was pretty decent and I kept food down and got gifts wrapped. No puking! Woohoo I helped DD3 ice cookies she and her Dad made.Wish I could nibble... they look yummy. I hope Hortense, Blondie, Sky and M360 check in. I understand if they can't but I am thinking of you all and sending you lovingkindness through the universe. (((Hugs))))

• PattyPeppermint
    PattyPeppermint Member Posts: 8,950
    edited December 2015

keesmom. - rest and recoup. Hope they keep you pain free

Rose - so excited you got to spend time with your dd for her bday. Did she like the card? Also glad you got to help with the cookies. I know you must be pushing yourself hard to do this it that's what we do as moms right ? Your courage and strength is inspiring.

• Rosevalley
    edited December 2015

Hi Patty- Are you still in the hospital? Feeling any better? I hope they get you out of the hospital before Friday. Yep I hav been trying to keep up with DD3... no mean feat when they are 14. Wish I had more energy. Who watches the boys when you aren't there?

I woke up a little green.. took my reglan hoping for it to kick in. DH keeps after me to drink boost to keep my protein up. The problem with drinking it in the evening is everything sits in my stomach and it takes so long to empty that laying down to sleep causes dire heart burn and misery. I think I need to sit up and stay up if drinking. Everything has a price.

My DH had gotten concert tickets to a holiday Christmas show as a present for me and hearing daughter.. the 2 deaf ones will be with friends. I am excited to go! Hoping to feel good enough to enjoy it all. Pain pills are a must, for the 2 hours in the car it will require to get there. Weather here is mild but very rainy. Most of the country is warmer than usual for the first day of Winter.. weird. Hugs to ya'll.

• PattyPeppermint
    edited December 2015

rose. Yes still in hospital. Mo nurse just left and said more IV fluids and antibiotic today as long as no more vomiting and diahrea slows down so no dehydration fear then I will go home tomorrow very excited. Already told the boys. They were elated. They are 13 and 10. So while I am here they either go to work with dh( he is self employed so not a problem plus he usually gets them to clean his shop and office so they make some spending money ) or some days they stay home til dh gets home . Inside with no visitors. We live in a safe area and know all our neighbors. Most who are retired and can be at my house within just a minute if my boys need them. They are safe but like to argue when home alone. Usually ds1 stays mostly upstairs and ds2 has the downstairs. Space and some chores and some reading helps their arguing. Today ds1 stayed home and ds2 went to work with dh half a day then the are hunting this afternoon. Ds1 is a fisherman not a hunter.

• Xavo
    Xavo Member Posts: 244
    edited December 2015

Rosevalley, very glad that you are hanging in there well! How nice that you have already fulfilled your one wish to celebrate your DD2's 20th big birthday a couple of days ago! And you are now ready to attend the Holiday concert as part of the Holiday celebration you wish to accomplish before 2015 ends. Congrats!

Barb/keesmom, how are you feeling today? Glad that the removal surgery went well. Hope that your upcoming doctor appointment will be fruitful and that you have many options to choose for a best plan!

In three days comes Skylotus' birthday. You are in my thoughts.

Blondie, Hortense, M360, thinking of you all. Wish you comfort and peace today.

• Xavo
    edited December 2015

Patty, glad that you will go home tomorrow. Just in time for the Holiday!

• Zillsnot4me
    Zillsnot4me Member Posts: 2,122
    edited December 2015

hoping you get sprung soon pattie. Hootie hoo!

Rose your determination and fortitude are inspiring. Even the clear boost is hard at night? Gaviscon is OTC. Tastes terrible but makes a raft that floats on top of the acid to keep reflux down but I had to sleep upright too during the worst times. Was given Ativan to calm stomach at night but made me nap early the next day. Here's hoping the concert is awesome!

Hope skylotus gets to blow out candles tomorrow.

• Longtermsurvivor
    Longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 738
    edited December 2015

Slowly learning about the other members of this topic...

Keesmom, I'm so glad you got the implant and offending flesh removed yesterday and wish you an uncomplicated and complete recovery from the procedure. Also glad that you'll talk with your doctor about your options, including hospice. Though you don't need it now, you don't want to need it in an emergency...better to plan ahead.

Rosevalley, I too am dealing with draining of ascites, liver mets, nausea, reflux, etc. A while back I posted a few tips including a recipe for lemon-ginger ice...think it was on this topic, but it might have been on one of Torridon's??? Sorry.

While zofran worked well for nausea for me, I've been doing so much better since supplementing with reglan and the homeopathic remedy nux vomica 12x. I take half a zofran on waking and before sleep (it lasts 12 hours) and 5 mg of shorter-acting reglan 2–3x during the day. The nux vomica, I take on waking, before sleep and mid-day. Together all are doing the trick. Ginger helps immensely and some high CBD medical marijuana tincture is somewhat helpful (more superstition, I think, but worth experimenting with if you live where it's legal and available).

I'm hanging in there with hospice, though I'm sleeping more and more and have basically ignored the holiday. I'm single and don't have offspring, so it's fairly easy to keep it simple. Friends come for company and bring food and cheer. I'm happy and at peace.

much love and healing wishes for all, Stephanie

• Xavo
    edited December 2015

Stephanie, did not realize that you are also hanging there with hospice, dealing with all sorts of severe discomfort! You sound calm, mellow, having things in control. What a strength! I am here to listen, to learn, and to support a bit if I could. Wish you long time of comfort!

• Rosevalley
    edited December 2015

Keesmom-hope you are recovering from your surgery well. Glenna good luck on your chemo, Susan you too on the GI stuff. Patty hope ya get sprung out of the hospital!

Skylotus- countdown to candles for your cake and a flurry of well wishes from your virtual friends! M360, Horrtense and Blondie much love to you all. Thinking of you.

I got to the concert... a little weak kneed, pain meds for back and with the exception of a woman 2 seats over doused in perfume it would have been perfect! Why do folks wear gallons of perfume? It's so mean. It was an Appalachian Christmas...fiddles, banjos,guitar, bass and mandolin and it moved it out. We have remarkable musical traditions in America a true blending pot - crockpot where I could hear the Gypsy, Scottish and Celtic influences and even the Blues came through. I love music - universal language.. DH said "well maybe a music concert every year keeps you here!" Hope springs eternal. We got back late past 11. I woke up at 6 with terrible muscle cramps...my foot drawing up, that'll make you get up right fast. My calcium was 6 something in the hospital and must still be low. Anyway..ascites and cancer be damned carry forth! DD2 comes today and the whole crew will be here Thursday. So I won't be on and will catch up later. It's killing me not to be able to eat any of these goodies cookies and treats.. I guess a "Boost" holiday meal is better then none!Loopy

To each of you special blessings for all the traditions that warm your heart and speak to your soul! Light the candles, the tree, whisper the prayers and chants, sing praises and experience joy- be totally present with your loved ones! (((Hugs))) to you all.

• Xavo
    edited December 2015

Rosevalley, you made it! it's simply marvelous! So very happy for your enjoyment of the concert! Wish you grand Holidays' celebrations!

Happy Holidays to All!

• Tomboy
    Tomboy Member Posts: 2,700
    edited December 2015

RoseValley, so happy for you! What a wonderful blessing you gave! All the same back to you all here and more.

• Sarah0915
    Sarah0915 Member Posts: 81
    edited December 2015

Rosevalley - So happy you made the concert and will spend the holidays with your family. Sounds like my kind of music. I have really had a great time exploring old time "roots" over the past several years. I agree it is a beautiful blend of all those influences you mentioned.

• PattyPeppermint
    edited December 2015

rose glad you went and enjoyed the concert. Now enjoy the next couple days with family. Even if its a boost.

• PattyPeppermint
    edited December 2015

blondie thinking of you. Huge hugs.😉

• Brendatrue
    Brendatrue Member Posts: 487
    edited December 2015

Thinking of you all, holding hope for

• steelrose
    steelrose Member Posts: 318
    edited December 2015

I could not have said it any better than Rosevalley. Love and blessings to you all...

Rose

• Longtermsurvivor
    Longtermsurvivor Member Posts: 738
    edited December 2015

Healing light surround you.
    Healing warmth within.
    Softness, fragrance, comfort.
    Healing now begin.

~ Kate Munger, the Threshold Choir

Sending light and warmth for all of us, Stephanie

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,894
    edited December 2015

• Zillsnot4me
    edited December 2015

Happy Christmas! May your boost be tasty and your memories beautiful.

• Xavo
    edited December 2015

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO SKYLOTUS!!!

We are thinking of you. Comfort and peace.

• Rosevalley
    edited December 2015

I hope everyone's holidays were lovely! Such sweet sentiments from everyone, shared wishes for well being. Happy Birthday for Skylotus and pain free days for Blondie, Hortense M360.

I was quite sick Thursday and this morning more nausea and vomiting. It seems to be full liquid day then puke a day. The joys of cancer. Doxil doesn't appear to do anything as I feel worse. At least Christmas eve was a N/V fest and Christmas was good and I managed a strawberry boost and red jello! Woohoo. I was very shaky and had my PCP get labs to check if they were ok and they were. I've lost 12 pounds which is fine since i have quite a bit in reserves! Ha ha. This can't continue and I tried having a heart to heart with DH but all I did was make him sullen and sad.

PCP gave me a pain patch for my back for better smoother control. I will try it out. Seems like things are coming to a close. Wish my family understood that. Problem is I always look good... and hide out when nauseous and no one sees. My DH gave me a Tibetan Yak hair shawl in red and green... who knew Yaks were so soft! This is especially warm and soft.

Lovingkindess to you all. rosevalley

• Zillsnot4me
    edited December 2015

Ahh Rose. I'm so sorry. Any pattern to N/V? Does clear boost work better than the creamy one?

Didn't know yaks had red or green hair. Glad it's soft and warm.

• PattyPeppermint
    edited December 2015

rose - sorry about the dng vomiting again. I know our dh's are also having a wide range of emotions. They are trying to be strong for us and kids. Still wish dh would let his guard down and just talk openly about it. We all deal with it differently. Hope this afternoon is better for you. Hugs

• Rosevalley
    edited December 2015

Holy crap this has been an awful day.. just friggin 9 on the 10 point misery scale. The vomiting and nausea have not let up oy. I have snapped.. no patience.. head in a bucket. Zofran of minimal assist.. maybe this is Doxil related. Jeez.. obstruction? All I know is gadorade comes up, water comes up jello.. ugh. My DH is pitiful. He's tking the kids to zoolights alone. Meeting friends. I can't go. DD2 is here and all pitiful as I couldn't do squat xmas eve or today.. she's cried. I cried. I am angry and sad and sick of being sick. I feel so bad she took all this time off from work to be here and I am miserable. I tried to get up and iron some shirts for her to take to work thought maybe if I try doing something easy and mindless.. headed back to the bedroom to puke.. back to the lounge chair. ugh.

Patty this sucks. Thank you for your understanding cause I know you understand- our kids are nearly the same age. HUGS sister.. great big hugs in misery. May you be well.

• ForestDweller
    ForestDweller Member Posts: 55
    edited December 2015

Rosevalley.....the only thing that fixed the same misery for me is 10mg Reglan four times per day and then over the course of a few days. But I think I have mentioned this to you before. Hospice said I will be on this for life.

Best wishes.