Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Survivors who had chemo etc and are into Complementary medicine

Options

Comments

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited July 2011
    Options

Love how even the cast iron pan heats up!

• apple
    apple Member Posts: 1,466
    edited August 2011
    Options

yes.. and !!!  I have a pile of them.. ready to be burned and sold at my next garage sale.  There never will be a next garage sale because they are a total waste of time around here.  ..

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited August 2011
    Options

hillck I have told them that and as soon as they get to my house they say awe we forgot the jars.  None of my kids live close around, well one just moved and hour from me so maybe I'll start getting the jars back from him.

Was talking to DH about the cast iron pans and that we need to start using them again.  He has collected them over the years and we have really good old ones.  He has done alot with outdoor dutch oven cooking so he knows his cast iron.

• omaz
    edited August 2011
    Options

I got mine at Ace Hardware and they had little corn cob pans and even saquaro (cactus) shaped pans.

• hrf
    hrf Member Posts: 706
    edited August 2011
    Options

Linda, I also use the Magic Bullet for my morning smoothie - also with frozen fruit. It works although I have to coax it a bit to get through the frozen fruit. You can get one for about $50 and for the money I think it's worth it.

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568
    edited August 2011
    Options

I am another lover of the Magic Bullet for my smoothies...

I did not get any monetary compensation for making the above statement.Wink

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    edited August 2011
    Options

I love my Ninja....comes with 3 sizes of containers. Switched to it after wearing out 2 Magic bullets.

• ferretmom
    ferretmom Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2011
    Options

Cook's Illustrated did a blender review awhile back.

The Kitchen Aid 5 speed won.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=18893

• crazy4carrots
    crazy4carrots Member Posts: 624
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thanks for the advice, everyone!  I did consider the Bullet, but I haven't much storage space left!  I also checked out some blender review sites and the KitchenAid5 came out on top.  If I buy through Amazon.ca, it's $119 +tax.  If I buy from Sears it's $179 +tax.  Amazon is my friend!

• omaz
    edited August 2011
    Options

I tried to make scrambled eggs this morning.  Put the cast iron pan on the stove (electric) added olive oil waited a little bit then poured in the eggs.  The pan wasn't super hot.  They stuck to the bottom.  What did I do wrong?

• apple
    edited August 2011
    Options

hot pan, cold oil, add eggs prescrambled.. I let my pans heat up for at least a minute.

• omaz
    edited August 2011
    Options

OK, heat up for a minute, I'll try that tomorrow.  Thanks.

• sewingnut
    sewingnut Member Posts: 475
    edited August 2011
    Options

I love baking my cornbread in the oven in my cast iron pan.  I get the pan nice and hot in the oven while it is preheating. Then pour in the cornbread batter.  It gets this awesome crunchy crust and tender inners. Mmm good!!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited August 2011
    Options

DH is all about using cast iron.  Last night I was making supper and needed a skillet and used the one I normally use.  He walked in the kitchen and said why aren't you using the cast iron?  He will change my habits for sure.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,004
    edited August 2011
    Options

There is going to be a cast iron cookware shortage in the country thanks to us!

• tedwilliams
    edited August 2011
    Options

cast iron + okra = fried okra

Okay, not so healthy.  But I did find a way to fix cauliflower that is almost as good as fried okra.

http://www.usafireandrescue.com/recipes/sidedishes/cauliflowerpopcorn.html

Take this basic recipe and create your own favorite.  Add spices to the olive oil before adding the cauliflower.  I used cayenne, tumeric, chili powder and pepper.  I prefer the pieces smaller to develop the darker color and richer flavor.   

Jana 

• HappyTrisha
    HappyTrisha Member Posts: 115
    edited August 2011
    Options

Just saw this thread and didn't have the head to read through 42 pages so thought I would add my routine to the mix.  I don't know whether you are asking about people who have just finished chemo or people who have had chemo at some point in their treatment.  I finished my chemo quite a while ago.  So if that isn't what you were asking about, feel free to ignore the rest of this!

I just finished my 6th year of arimidex in February, so I really hadn't done anything of note until then.  I have been taking a tumeric supplement daily for the past 5 months or so.  I've read really great things about tumeric and BC.  I am also going to an acupuncturist.  I started going specifically because I wanted to see if anyone could "cure" my LE.  I am always looking for the easy way out.  If I can forego bandaging, sleeves, etc., just sign me up!  He's convinced that he can permanently reverse my LE.  He's also interested in treating anything and everything else that I presented with, even though I didn't go there for anything else.  That would be seasonal allergies, sinus problems, and a few other thing.

I trust this doctor (he's an MD - ob/gyn) implicity, so I'm in it for the long haul.

Smile

• Yazmin
    Yazmin Member Posts: 218
    edited August 2011
    Options

Ladies:

Does anybody have that link on the effect of alcohol on IDC (versus ILC)? Apparently, alcohol increases recurrence risk for ILC, but not for IDC?

Thank you.

• Unknown
    edited August 2011
    Options

Yazmin - I've never seen it broken out for ILC and IDC, the word is now that alcohol consumption raises risk of initial breast cancer and of recurrence or another breast cancer. The ACS, for example, advises that women consume no more than one drink per day . . . .

• tedwilliams
    edited August 2011
    Options

Research news. Aug. 2010 .... You will find the article concerning alcohol and subgroups

Jana

• apple
    edited August 2011
    Options

about heating up a pan.. 1 minute on 'low' will not be enough.. it should be over 200 degrees, so water will sizzle instantly when it hits the pan.. perhaps sprinkled on as a test.

• peggy_j
    peggy_j Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2011
    Options

I'm behind in this thread but...re: plastics, I've read that plastic wrap does not contain BPA (found in hard plastics) but may contain phthalates (found in flexible plastics). I just googled and there seem to be mixed opinions. I'm having a hard time keeping track of all these suspected carcinogens, so I've taken a better-safe-than-sorry approach and am avoiding most plastics most of the time. I use wax paper and even found wax paper baggies (and when I freeze things, they go into wax paper and then that goes into a freezer ziplock). But...I buy veggies at the store which are sometimes wrapped in plastic and then scrub them before using. At some point...it gets to be too much.

On the positive news, have you seen that some "plastic" water bottles (and juice bottles) are now made of plant material. Yay!

• omaz
    edited August 2011
    Options

apple - thanks because I had dinner stuck to it last night.  I seem to be cast-iron cookwear challenged!

Sunflowers - I missed your post telling me congrats on getting my port out soon - I am excited, I can hardly believe it is 3 weeks away.  I remember when I started all this a year ago it just seemed like forever.

• ruthbru
    edited August 2011
    Options

It is such a fantastic feeling to be 'portless'....congratulations in advance, Omaz!

• omaz
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Thanks ruthbru!  Being on herceptin is a little like having this invisible shield to me.  Now I give it up.  Just me and my tamoxifen and everything we can think of here to do to help keep ourselves healthy and strong.
  • ruthbru
    edited August 2011
    Options
    The tamoxifen is still your shield. And think of all the scoop-necked tops you can wear!!!! Smile
  • omaz
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Laughing
  • omaz
    edited August 2011
    Options
    hillck - seriously?  Groan.  I asked a similar question on the triple+ thread.  I guess I better look into those studies.  I heard something about it a while ago but thought they weren't sure about it. 
  • omaz
    edited August 2011
    Options
    apple - Success with the sizzling water technique!!  Thx
  • otter
    otter Member Posts: 757
    edited August 2011
    Options

That "sizzling water" technique works for any type of pan (not just cast iron) where you want to make sure the surface is hot before you pour in your batter.  I was taught that a drop of water should "dance" when dripped onto the surface.  It doesn't simply sizzle away and evaporate -- it should jump around. That's when you add your butter/oil/bacon grease/whatever, and pour in the batter.

Yazmin, I tracked down the original research paper that presents those alcohol-and-ILC findings.  The study was done at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle.  Here's the citation and a link to the abstract in PubMed:

Li, C.I. et al.:  Alcohol consumption and risk of postmenopausal breast cancer by subtype: the women's health initiative observational study.  Journal of the National Cancer Institute 2010 Sep 22;102(18):1422-31. Epub 2010 Aug 23.  (PubMed:  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20733117)

otter