Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Survivors who had chemo etc and are into Complementary medicine

Options

Comments

• lee7
    lee7 Member Posts: 204
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hope someone here can help me out on this question...What is a good level to have for Vitamin D and what is too high?

I was so happy that I was able to raise my low score by taking D3 over a 3 month period up to a 62. I saw the NP in my medical onc's office today and she said they like to see the number between 30-40.  Huh?  The test range says 30-80 is normal ! 

I told her I had been taking 4000IU a day to raise it and she said not to take over 2000.  I'll cut back to 2000 because my level is 62 and I guess hope that it maintains me where I am.  I'm confused though because I really thought we should be trying for a 50-70 range.

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,999
    edited August 2011
    Options

30 to 80 is normal. 63 is very good. It doesn't make sense (from what I know) that they would want it that low. Did you ask? If not, you should call them back and then let us know what they say.

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited August 2011
    Options

According the my lastest lab results for the Vitamin D, 25 Hydroxy test, which measures 25-OH Vitamin D which includes metabolites 25-hydroxy Vitamin D2 and 25-hydroxy Vitamin D3:

Deficiency < 10
    Insufficiency 10-29
    Sufficiency 30-100
    Toxicity > 100

Hope this helps.

• Ang7
    Ang7 Member Posts: 568
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi all~

I tried Reiki when I was still having hip pain after chemo...

During it, I felt a strong warmth on the hip where I was having pain.

Now no longer having pain in that area...

• Iamstronger
    Iamstronger Member Posts: 102
    edited August 2011
    Options

Lee, I just saw a naturopathic onc and he said he likes to see vit d levels between 60-80. He has me taking 5000.

• pinkbutterfly
    pinkbutterfly Member Posts: 130
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Been gone for a while, dealing with some scans, etc.  Not fun.

Regarding CoQ10: they put me on it at the Block Center, so I have to believe there is some cancer benefit, though I can't remember the explanation now.

They also told me not to take standard multivitamins because they contain copper.  I have read that copper supports the process by which tumor cells form their own blood supply (angiogenesis) and I suspect this is the reason they told me not to take it.  I am even wary of cashews (which I love) and cashew butter (which I just discovered, and really love too) because it contains copper.  All things in moderation, I guess.

I try to do my exercises in the morning, and so I am watching way too many infomercials these days.  Has anyone heard of/tried the cookware called OrGreenIcs?  It is supposed to be ceramic non-stick "green" cookware.  I have been trying to find a substitute for Teflon coated pans, which I use a lot, which is non-toxic.  Don't want to get taken in by hype, but I have to admit, the infomercial for this cookware, though quite cheesy, had me convinced.  I also saw some "green" non-stick cookware at the natural food store I shop at, can't remember the name of that one - possibly EcoGreen or Eco-something.  If anybody has any experience with 'green' non-stick cookware, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks everyone.

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited August 2011
    Options

pinkbutterfly, I have gone back to my old iron cookware. An added benifit is it gives me some natural iron when using it.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    edited August 2011
    Options

Lee my onco has me on 2000iu's per day of Vit D3.  He said he wants my levels between 65-80.

• Fighter_34
    Fighter_34 Member Posts: 496
    edited August 2011
    Options

This what I have to change soon my pots. Pinkbutterfly I am going to read up on this.

• Melizzard
    Melizzard Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2011
    Options

Renrel, you said, "I get a non-instant Irish oatmeal that can be cooked easily in the microwave."  That's one more change you might consider ... stop cooking with your microwave and cook that stuff in a pot instead.  Micro cooking is really bad news.  ;)

xxoo

Melissa

• Melizzard
    Melizzard Member Posts: 24
    edited August 2011
    Options

In regards to Reiki and other energy work, I have to chime in here.  Legit energy healers have given me more life than any other tx, conventional OR alternative.  There are a team of them at www.cancertouch.com that I would HIGHLY recommend if any of you ever wind up with active disease again.  These guys have saved my life more than once.  The only downside of energy healers is that there's really no way to determine if they're legit or not ... especially for someone like me who can't feel the energy running.  I'm attuned to practice Reiki Level 2, but even still can hardly feel anything except a very delicate tingling in my hands.  However, the person on the table sure can feel it.  I also have an amazing woman who works with me long-distance (over the phone) who clears emotional energy blockages which is VERY helpful for me.  She does physical too, but I use her more for emotional work.  And the best thing of all?  Totally non-toxic!  ;)

xxoo

Melissa

• lee7
    lee7 Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2013
    Options

Ruthbru, ProudMom, vmarie, sherryc...Thank you for the Vit D info.  I really have to wonder about my medical onc team. The dr is ok, it's the rest of them. This isn't the first time I feel like I've been given odd information from that office. In fact, one of the onc's nurse originally read me my score and said it was 67. It was only after I got my actual labs printed out for me I saw it was really 62.  I know the # is not a big difference with a VitD level but she misread the #'s for my FSH/estrogen tests earlier..telling me I wasn't post meno and could still get pregnant.  The dr had it correct and I got the Arimidex.

I have to say I trust the collective wisdom I read here a LOT more than what I'm hearing from my current onc. office  and I'm seriously considering trying to switch to a different one.  Thanks again for the input!

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 46,999
    edited August 2011
    Options

You should make a list of all the problems you have had; set up an appointment with your oncologist and talk to him/her about them. You may find that he/she is more shocked than you are. I actually did this with my oncologist (who was new to my clinic) and some major changes came out of our discussion.

• Renrel
    Renrel Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2011
    Options

Melizzard - I eat the oatmeal at work so I really need to microwave it if I am going to eat it.  I do make a point of using a china bowl and not plastic for microwaving.  My Reiki teacher also said not to use the microwave, that shaking up molecules could not be good for you.  Made enough of an impression to make me think 2x but not eough to make me stop using a microwave.  And I remembered the missing ingredient - Wheat Germ.  Lots of B vitamins from that.  And  am not sure if Cherries are supposed to be anticancerous but they are anti inflamitory (a cup is supposed to work as well as advil) and cancer is related to inflamation so I like using those for the bit of sweetness I like to counter the curry spice.  I was using tumeric with either ginger or pepper, as I read you need to use one of these other spices to get the tummeric benefits but it is easier to get all three, plus a few others in the curry. 

On Reiki - I remember when I got attuned to first level I felt so so so good for about 3 days after, not just pre cancer good, I felt young and I had no idea I was feeling old until I had the Reiki after glow to compare it too.  And my hip pain was completely gone for several days as well.  Don't think I have had any other treatments that wowed me like the attument and treatment but I am very glad to have this tool in my kit.  And the price of my attunements was very reasonable.  $100 for first level, $200 for second and I think $250 for third.  Now I can have the energy whenever I want/need it.  I only paid for a treatment once, during chemo.  I don't know if it helped with chemo but it did help with the cough I had which was completely gone within days when they normally linger for weeks even without being autoimmune supressed.  

Another antioxident recipe - Quina cooked in green tea with dried fruit (blueberries, apricots, cherries, whatever you like) soaking in the tea with the Quina. Then a dressing made of raw apple cider vinigar, olive oil, tumeric, ginger and any other good spices you like, and walnuts or some other good for you nut and chopped onion or leek or scallion.  Delicious cold or hot, can be mixed in with other things like greens, or used as stuffing for roasted peppers and you can play with the recipe based on what you like or think give you the most bang for the buck. 

• omaz
    omaz Member Posts: 4,218
    edited August 2011
    Options
    This is a really nice website for info on supplements at Sloan-Kettering Institute: link
  • Sherryc
    edited August 2011
    Options

Omaz thanks for the site it is great.

• SarahMeadow
    SarahMeadow Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi everyone,

first, what a great thread! I looked at all the posts and I don't think the omega3/omega6 ratio has been mentioned. Based on current research, it looks like having a high ratio can help prevent breast cancer in some women. The movement away from partially hydrogenated oils in processed foods and fast food meals has left the false impression that high omega-6 fats such as soybean oil and corn oil are "healthy." But these high omega-6 fats drive down the ratio (others are peanut oil, safflower oil and sunflower oil). So I try to avoid these oils if I have a choice, in addition to trying to get more omega-3s and using virgin olive oil (omega-9). Below are names of some academic studies on the topic:

Dietary intakes of ω-6 and ω-3 polyunsaturated fatty acids and the risk of breast cancer

Mammary Gland Density Predicts the Cancer Inhibitory Activity of the N-3 to N-6 Ratio of Dietary Fat

Dietary polyunsaturated fatty acids and breast cancer risk in Chinese women: A prospective cohort study

Long-chain n-3-to-n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid ratios in breast adipose tissue from women with and without breast cancer

Hope this is useful,

Sarah

• Belinda44
    Belinda44 Member Posts: 15
    edited August 2011
    Options

Love all the info on this thread.  Been thinking about Reiki for awhile.  I think I'll give it a try!

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited August 2011
    Options
    I have a Le Crueset wok (gift) but it won't work on my ceramic top stove. Frown It seems like nice stuff.
  • Sandeeonherown
    Sandeeonherown Member Posts: 1,781
    edited August 2011
    Options

Looking for information...had a heart attack 4 months after finishing rads and taking tamoxifen..was taken off it an dhave been on heart meds since the heart attack in march..no high blood pressure but they are all pretty confident the tammi caused the blood clot ...so....was just told I am now post-menopausal and can begin another treatment....I know there are lots more options...but the side effect scare the crap out of me (for obvious reasons) and I am also afraid I will end up with anothe rheart a ttack..even though I am on a blood thinner....anyone else been in this situation?Any natrual medications or treatments you have been focused on that seems to be helping? I plan on making an appointment with my naturopath as well.

thank you 

• Sherryc
    edited August 2011
    Options

SAndee you should ask BarbaraA what she takes as she is going natural supplements and I think she is post menopausal.

• omaz
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Sandee - I am not positive but I don't think the aromatase inhibitors like femara are associated with blood clots the way tamoxifen is.
  • barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited August 2011
    Options

Sandee, I take grape seed extract (City of Hope is studying it as a natural aromatase inhibiter), DIM, curcumin, calcium d-glutarate and NAC. I was post-meno before cancer and had had my last hot flash years before. Well, this is working and I am flashing my brains out. Last time I was tested, my estrogen was below 9. But with the supplements I take, the estrogen I do have is metabolized in a better way.

• omaz
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hi BarbarA - I am meeting with the study coordinator on Monday to see if I can participate in a clinical trial here that is comparing tam+DIM vs tam+placebo on breast density and recurrence. 
  • lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Sandeeonherown I know a friend of my is having lupron shots so she can take Anestrozole instead of tamox because she had issues with blood clots. Tamox is know to have blood clot issues. I think your doctors are doing the correct course but don't be afraid to question them further on it.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012
    Options

BarbaraA

Are you working with a Naturpath, or Holistic Doctor to determine doses of each thing you're taking?

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited August 2011
    Options

I work with Dr Joe Veltmann of the Intitute for Indivdualized Medicine. He does phone consults with me.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012
    Options

Barbara, after reading your list, I went and was surprised to find GrapeSeed extract in SO MANY of the supplements I take ;)  Good to know.  thanks, for your information.

• deenah
    deenah Member Posts: 38
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi all,

I posted a while back about how I had done chemosensitivity testing on my lung mets. I just got results from my first scan since starting my new treatment (5 doses), and I have substantial regression!! That is in spite of 7 weeks between my last scan and beginning treatment. My doctor is floored. I am so happy I stepped outside the box and had the surgery and testing done. I thought I'd pass along the great news. It is one thing to be stable, but to be winning the battle is another.

• proudmom_wife
    proudmom_wife Member Posts: 176
    edited August 2011
    Options
    deenah - Wonderful news.  Thank you for sharing it with us.