Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• mscal02
    mscal02 Member Posts: 167
    edited November 2014

Thanks Mandy and Ebru: I'll look for the eye cream. I'm trying to stock up on things in advance .

• Leah_S
    Leah_S Member Posts: 1,929
    edited November 2014

GemStateGirl, thank you for the link. As we all do, I read the SEs when I started X and of course promptly forgot whichever ones I didn't get right away!

The reason for the stop-and-start on the X is that I had surgery for an intestinal blockage and had to heal from that enough to go back on the chemo. The ironic thing is that the surgery had nothing to do with the cancer, but was a result of scar tissue from a previous surgery (ooph) growing in and around my intestines and literally tying them in knots. I lost about 10lbs during that time, though that's not the reason the onc lowered the dose. I was still pretty wseak from the surgery and aftermath so I'm taking 500mg less per day (though still 2 wks on/1 wk off).

When I was on the higher dose I also had very dry eyes - so dry it was painful to open them in the morning. I used an OTC eye drop which helped a bit but not completely.

DeliriumPie, I'm sorry to hear the X didn't work for you. What will your new regimen be?

Leah

• mscal02
    edited November 2014

I took my first dose this morning. Had my alarm set for 7am. I took the alarm off and decided that I'm just going to take it at whatever time I get up with a bite of food. I could tell after one morning that I was going to be discouraged from taking it by trying to keep on a time schedule. I'll try to space it as close as I can to 12 hrs. My prescription bottle only says to take it 2 times a day. 7 days on and 7 days off.

• kt1966
    kt1966 Member Posts: 1,021
    edited November 2014

Well done mscal.

I nearly forgot to take mine this morning. I had breakfast at 7:30 & meant to take them straight after but forgot until 8:45. I had to have a snack so I could take them....duhh!

7 on 7 off sounds nice. I'm on 14 on 7 off & I am getting tired of it. Hanging out for my week off.

I've been so tired this week. I spent all of Sunday in bed, then got up to go for a walk on the beach in the evening. It was lovely, but I was very slow & felt short of breath on the way back & my feet hurt ++.

It would be sooo nice not to be fatigued all the time!

kt

• mscal02
    edited November 2014

I went to Wal-Mart and they had a foot cream in there. I bought it ,soaked my feet in Epsom salt with lavender,mixed the foot cream with some bio- oil left over from surgery and some grape seed oil that I had in the fridge. I'll see how this works for me, if nothing else ,my feet sure feels good!!!

• mscal02
    edited November 2014

kt how long have you been taking X?

• kt1966
    edited November 2014

I'm on cycle 7, have been taking it since July.

I met a lady a couple of weeks ago who'd been on it for 2 years & still on it. She'd recently had a dose reduction though to help with se's.

I hope I can manage as long! I'm just a bit worried about progression as my tumour markers had gone up last bloodtest. I think xeloda is meant to be one of the easier chemos so I don't really want to change.

Your foot bath & cream etc sound nice :)

• mscal02
    edited November 2014

kt: I hope it's just dead cancer cells coming out in the drought!!!

• kt1966
    edited November 2014

Me too. Thanks :)

• MameMe
    MameMe Member Posts: 215
    edited November 2014

Mandy, Thanks so much for posting! Its amazing what a success story can do for my morale. I know that those who do well on a protocol often do not hang out here, so its rare to get strong clear feedback from them.

I am in my 4th cycle, and have blood work and scans discussed on Dec. 1. I am hoping for good news, of course. I am getting used to the routine with this med., and I like its potential to reduce cancer activity. it beats IV chemo, most certainly! My hair is filling in and that helps me feel pretty normal some days. Love that.

• mscal02
    edited November 2014

It's so good to have someone that's been on X for a long time with a success story to stop by and encourage those of us just starting.  It kind of takes away some of the fear !!

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited November 2014

December 4th will mark 2 years of Xeloda for me. So keep the faith. You can be on this drug for a while.

• mscal02
    edited November 2014

Thank you leftfoot!!!

• kt1966
    edited November 2014

Great to know there are a number of ladies in their 2nd year of xeloda :)

Very encouraging!

kt

• kt1966
    edited November 2014

It's taken a while, but I've finally figured out why my eyes sting in the morning & I can hardly open them to see where I'm going.

It's the hot water from my shower. I will not get it on my face anymore! I think it causes the capillaries in my eyes to leak chemo into them.

I will see how I feel after tomorrow's shower :)

kt

• gciriani
    gciriani Member Posts: 195
    edited November 2014

That's an excellent point kt1966!

I think the eye side effect is very similar to HFS (hand foot syndrome). The physiological mechanism that causes it must be the same, and therefore everything that exacerbates HFS, also worsens eye side effects. Vice versa everything that helps with HFS would help with the eye side effect: hot water is a vasodilator, and would help more leaking of capecitabine.

• mscal02
    edited November 2014

This is day 3. So far so good! I thought I was going to have to drink some dieter's tea to get things moving, I usually have constipation, but everything is moving right along.

• mandymoo
    mandymoo Member Posts: 632
    edited November 2014

hi mscal02,

Good luck with your journey with X. I still tremble every time I have to take my X tablets even after 2 years hehe. However they always go down fine and I drink my whole glass of water to make sure that they do not stick in my throat.

My side effects always started to hit me on day 12 and then for about another 5 days before they started to subside. I think it is a wonderful idea looking after your feet already and I really hope that your feet remain nice and soft in your journey. If your side effects are too harsh initially, phone your onc or doctor straight away as there are other medications that can help with those side effects. In essence, Xeloda is certainly a gentler chemo drug.

Warm hugs

Mandy

• mscal02
    edited November 2014

Thanks mandy! I already have my prescription filled for my nausea med, don't worry I'll be knocking down his office door for help!! 

• hansaim
    hansaim Member Posts: 68
    edited November 2014

I've been on X for just over a year now. The latest scan showed a localized progression to one spot on the spine but the rest of my bone mets stable. My MO says to continue with it for now and re-scan in the new year. So I started cycle 18 today and hopefully get through the holiday season with X. I am on 10 days on and 11 days off. Best wishes to everyone on X.

• mandymoo
    edited November 2014

hansaim, yes, I have had regression like you as well, (almost complete regression) in my lungs, liver and brain, but like you, there is also some progression in the right shoulder, skull and sacrum. My onc is not concerned either and I have had some radiotherapy on my shoulder only due to pain. My onc is very confident that radiotherapy and/or surgery will probably keep the bone mets under control. I think the blood tests also have something to do with their decision on continuing with Xeloda.

mscal02, my thoughts are with you and I truly hope that Xeloda will work for a very long time with your cancer journey.

• mscal02
    edited November 2014

Thank you Mandy! Me too!!!!

• susaninsf
    susaninsf Member Posts: 1,099
    edited November 2014

Mandy,

That's fantastic news! Does your MO think the X helped your brain mets? I have brain, lung, eye and bone mets. Had radiation for my brain. Didn't know if Xeloda could get past the blood/brain barrier.

Hugs, Susan

• mscal02
    edited November 2014

Hi All: Are you calling a cycle, for instance I'm 7 on 7 off, the end of my off days?

• mandymoo
    edited November 2014

HI SusaninSF, yes, Xeloda (Capecitabine) crosses the blood brain barrier. :)

mxcal02, yes, you are on a 14 day cycle (7 days on/7 days off). Some people are on 21 day cyckes (14/7) and others are on 28 day cycles (14/14). Personally from what I have read and heard, you are on the best cycle as this cycle is easiest for the side effects and research has proven that the 14 day cycle is just as effective as the 21 day cycle.

• mscal02
    edited November 2014

Thanks mandy!!

• kt1966
    edited December 2014

Anyone have any good methods to deal with feet when you want to go for long walks?

We are on holiday (South Island, NZ) where there are lots of fantastic walks to do, but my feet are killing me after a short time! It builds & by the afternoon I'm hobbling...

Do soft fluffy socks help, do you think? 2 pairs of socks? Or do I just admit defeat? (Huh, defeet!)

kt

• mandymoo
    edited December 2014

Hi kt,

I have no magic words for this, unfortunately, but try to put an ice pack on them (or dip them in some icy water) for a while as soon as you can after your walks. However, 2 pairs of socks might be worth trying though like you suggested :)

Good luck.

• kt1966
    edited December 2014

Thanks Mandy, I haven't tried ice or icy water. Will have to give it a go.

As far as se's go it could be worse so I shouldn't complain :)

kt

• Maureen813
    Maureen813 Member Posts: 1,826
    edited December 2014

I'm on zeloda and experiencing vomiting, constipation and/or diarrhea. I Have the HFS and feeling like crap in general. This is the end of my second cycle and miserable.