Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• Stilts
    Stilts Member Posts: 228
    edited April 2017

Starting cycle 16 of Xeloda tomorrow 14 on/7 off...dose was decreased from 4000mg to 3000mg daily last December because of HFS...was sent by ONC to Dermatologist and started on a super moisturizing cream and a steroid cream which have helped greatly. TMs have gone from 600 to 40's....hoping and praying the results last !!! Best wishes to the "newbies" !

• Kaption
    Kaption Member Posts: 2,934
    edited May 2017

yay for Xeloda! Just had my best PET scan ever!

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited May 2017

YaY!!!!!!!!!!!! So happy for you!

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited May 2017

Kaption, that is fantastic news! I'm looking forward to joining you in the land of best PET scan ever, once I've been on X for a while. I'm so hopeful, now. Thanks for sharing your great update

:D

Stefanie

• JFL
    JFL Member Posts: 1,373
    edited May 2017

Wonderful news, Kaption!!

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited May 2017

Love to hear that Kaption.

• leftfootforward
    leftfootforward Member Posts: 1,396
    edited May 2017

woo Hoo! Love great news

• amw5
    amw5 Member Posts: 74
    edited May 2017

Thx for sharing your wonderful news Kaption.

• guidinglight
    guidinglight Member Posts: 10
    edited May 2017

Hi everyone!

Does anyone feel exhausted on the medication? Hips or knees ache at night? My mom has been sleeping alot lately, though she takes pain meds for bone mets. She started meds in mid October, and had a scan in January. There wasn't much in terms of results, very slight shrinkage/stable in liver. She just had another scan yesterday. I am nervous that she is so tired means the cancer is growing. Thoughts?

Christine

• girlwithacurl
    girlwithacurl Member Posts: 85
    edited May 2017

Kaption!! That is the best news! So happy for you!

• Waitingforspring
    Waitingforspring Member Posts: 11
    edited May 2017

amazing news kapition so happy for you

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited May 2017

My wife had her blood tests and check up today. Modest drops in both tumor markers again. Thank God. Still surprising the oncologist with the continued drops in tumor markers. She's been on xeloda for over a year now. Considering a switch to an aromatase inhibitor in the near future to give her a break from the xeloda and its hand foot syndrome that is bothering her. Possibly a try at palbociclib, if the board approves it. Onc says we can always go back to xeloda if we aren't happy with the endocrine therapy.

• Reneeswan
    Reneeswan Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2017

I'm hoping some of you here can answer a question for me. I have my xeloda delivered to my house. I forgot that it was being delivered yesterday, and didn't get it off front porch until this evening. It was hot here today, in the high 90's. It gets hot on my porch. I am wondering if this could have damaged my pills. My insurance covers it but I don't think would cover a new one for this. Would appreciate any thoughts on this. I hate being forgetful!!

• dlb823
    edited May 2017

Reneeswan, I would call your pharmacy for reassurance, but Xeloda is a pretty hard tablet, and I don't think the amount of heat you described would affect it, as it could some other meds. Just my first impression, and I live near Palm Springs, so am familiar with blistering heat and the concern about meds and heat.

• JFL
    edited May 2017

Renee, are your pills sent in a cooler? Mine come in a disposable cooler with gel ice packs. It is very hot year-round where I live. If not, you should inquire with the specialty pharmacy that delivers them.

You are probably fine with the current pills that were in the sun for a bit. They are pretty tough pills.

• Reneeswan
    Reneeswan Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2017

JFL, dlb823

Thanks for your replies, they did not put any kind of ice pack with the pills. They have a couple of times in the heat of summer. I wish our UPS would ring the door bell when they deliver something, but they never do. I called the pharmacy, but they couldn't say for sure. The pills were still hard, so I'm hoping they are ok. My tumor markers were up a little this month, so I'm on edge a little anyway. Next time I will put note on fridge to check porch for pills.

• JFL
    edited May 2017

Has anyone taken Xeloda in combination with another drug? I think I have some progression but want to stay on this drug if possible. Had a PET-CT today. No results yet but my DH saw the the CT portion of the scan and it looks like, at minimum, a small lesion grew to a more substantial size. Not sure if the progression is mild-moderate or extensive. If it is mild, I would like to try to stay on Xeloda, and possibly add another drug. I hate this. Failing a medicine is just scary.

• Lita57
    Lita57 Member Posts: 2,338
    edited May 2017

JFL, from looking at your history, it looks like you've only been on X for a short time. It takes a few months to really kick in. Your MO will guide you thru this.

Hopefully you're dealing with minimal progression. My lumbar mets grew, but my MO is keeping me on X. We used rads to shave them down a bit last month. I've been on X for almost a year now and I have very extensive bone, organ and muscle mets, and several nodes are affected too.

Wishing you the best.

• ABeautifulSunset
    ABeautifulSunset Member Posts: 600
    edited May 2017

Starting Xeloda tomorrow, ladies. Fingers crossed it will be good to me.

Stefanie

• JFL
    edited May 2017

Hi Lita, you might have seen March but not the year :) . . . I have been on it for 14 months. I did have an initial flare. Unfortunately, that is not what is going on now. :(

Stef, good luck with X

• Lita57
    edited May 2017

JFL, you're absolutely right! Well at least I'm not writing 2016 on my checks anymore 😅.

Nevertheless, I hope you can get some more mileage out of Xeloda. It's been very doable for many of us.

• Kaption
    edited May 2017

is anyone on this board on Xeloda and thyroid med too?

• Linda11111111
    Linda11111111 Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2017

Yes! Levothyroxine every morning.

• Kaption
    edited May 2017

Thanks. Not sure where I'm headed, but maybe to that.

• JFL
    edited May 2017

Kaption, I am also on thyroid medication.

• Kaption
    edited May 2017

thanks

• dlb823
    edited May 2017

Me too, Kaption, although I use a natural one -- Westhroid -- orig. RX'd by my ND; now by my onc.

• Kaption
    edited May 2017

interesting, Deanna. Thanks.

• Believe51
    Believe51 Member Posts: 28
    edited May 2017

Me too Kaption, thanks to extensive radiation during my first round 4 yrs ago. Am taking Synthroid.

Medicare question...I'm retiring in July and comparing Part D plans. None of the plans for my area (PA) cover Xeloda. I will need to switch to generic. MO said generic is as effective as brand name but may have different side effects. Does anyone else on this thread have any experience or advice about Medicare Part D?

• Lita57
    edited May 2017

Believe, I've been taking generic "Mylan" Capecitabine Xeloda for about 13 mos thru my insurance. It does indeed work.

Don't stress out over it.

Hugs,

Lita