Support us when you check out at Walgreens! Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2017

Dianarose, I was wondering how the cruise went! i hope you had a fabulous time! And you do have a sweet face. You look remarkably like my principal at school who is a kind and lovely woman.

HLB, yes I get disgusted too as I am such a busybody do-er! A million projects I would love to accomplish and only managed a few little ones so far.

goldie, I think that will be my best time too. I am on my last day of a week off and feeling ALMOST normal, even have an appetite! of course I had to have a paracentesis yesterday. I was miserable. So feel much better because of that too. Amazing how just a 50% improvement in filing well can feel so damn good!

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited December 2017

The cruise was amazing. Already miss the warm tropical weather. Back to reality. Not liking it much. Found out hubbys cancer is grade 4 so he will be having his prostate out in February. This shit never ends.

• Bluebird-DE
    Bluebird-DE Member Posts: 1,233
    edited December 2017

Oh my, 3 pages to catch up on reading. Only time to say have been off Xeloda for over 3 weeks now. Still getting stronger and the appetite is slowly returning. But that is not saying much. Had lost almost 30 pounds in 6 weeks. Just barely able to tolerate morethan a few bites but now can eat about 1/2 c of soup or cereal. A piece of lemon meringue pie took me 4 hrs to get down last night but I did it. Cannot take morethan few swallows of water at a time.

Question is - does anyone have this. I have liver lesions that are large on R side. Xeloda or lesions? Or both.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited December 2017

Diana,so sorry to hear about your DH.

Blue, I did go through a spell where I too lost a bunch of weight, but I was eating. Also went through a spell where I could not stand to have food in my mouth. I didn't lose a lot of weight during that spell. Just so weird, as I don't know what to contribute either of them to. Also it was within the last 6 months this happened, not when I first started X.

• kacy2
    kacy2 Member Posts: 26
    edited December 2017

hi. I am recently diagnosed with stage IV Metastatic Breast Cancer (liver and bones). My doc is suggesting herceptin and Xeloda. The only problem for me is I can't possibly afford the pills at $5000 for two weeks. How are you all managing that. Are there other optionsl. I am anxious to get my treatment started. herceptin starts next week, and the Xeloda is already at the pharmacy but I can't buy it.

• Kimchee
    Kimchee Member Posts: 94
    edited December 2017

Tell your doctor or there should be a nurse there to help and surely will not have to pay a dime. Good luck and Merry Christmas

• sadiesservant
    sadiesservant Member Posts: 1,875
    edited December 2017

Kacy, I am in Canada so cannot speak with authority on your system but I find it very odd that it is not covered as it is a standard protocol. Almost everyone has it covered by their medical plan. Having said that, I know of one other person who indicated their insurance did not cover this med. Hopefully if you appeal you can get this turned around. As Kimchee says, speak to your oncologist. He/she should be able point you to compassionate access.

Sending positive thoughts. Pat.

• goldie0827
    edited December 2017

Kacy, do you have insurance? I have insurance but also get assistance from Good Days and I have $0.00 copay. I thought I saw one time where my pills were like $2000.00. It's crazy for sure.

https://www.mygooddays.org/

• Dianarose
    edited December 2017

Got the best Christmas gift ever today! My tumor marker is down to 58.3 . Made me cry 😢

• pajim
    pajim Member Posts: 930
    edited December 2017

Dianarose, WOOO HOOOO!!! Congratulations.

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited December 2017

Hooray! Dianarose, that's a Christmas present for all of us, I'd say. I'm very happy for you.

• marylark
    marylark Member Posts: 159
    edited December 2017

Oh Dianarose, I am thrilled. Thank you God for this wonderful gift to our sister!

• Kimchee
    edited December 2017

Merry Christmas to all ! I have a lot of hope for xeloda

• artistatheart
    artistatheart Member Posts: 1,437
    edited December 2017

Dianarose, I'll bet you miss that tropical weather. Just the thought of basking in sunshine makes me glow. Yay on the tumor markers! Great news! But hate to hear your DH going through more crud. Hope it all goes well and things look up soon.

Blue, I am on second round of Xeloda and my appetite stinks. It takes me an hour or more sometimes too to get down whatever i am trying to eat. So far I am managing to get enough I guess. But sure would love to go out for a nice meal and actually feel ravenous and excited for it.

• Kimchee
    edited December 2017

So this might be a dumb question , but has anyone had the hair grow back on xeloda ? And how long?

• Dianarose
    edited December 2017

Kimchee- it has been going on five months and my hair is finally starting to grow . It’s like a bad crew cut but it’s a start. I was worried it was never going to grow. Still need a hat or my head will freeze.

• Kimchee
    edited December 2017

Well that's hope anyway . Lol

• ihavebreastcancer
    ihavebreastcancer Member Posts: 5
    edited December 2017

I want to wish everybody Merry Christmas and Happy New Year! This is my first Christmas since my diagnosis, I am on last 4 days of the first cycle of Xeloda, and i appreciate all the support and advice.

Scwilly thank you, I am using your advice I try to drink a lot of water and moisturize at least twice daily and so far no rash or wounds, the nausea is better now and I was able to work. Thank you again!

• ShetlandPony
    ShetlandPony Member Posts: 3,063
    edited December 2017

I have peeling fingertips now, having been on Xeloda about seven months. I have had to change from long dental floss wrapped around the fingers to the kind stretched across a little plastic holder. Also I have given up using scotch tape, as its stickiness is dangerous to my fingertips. So I used many gift bags instead of wrapping paper last week. Life with bc means always adapting to the side effect du jour. I do find that lotion is helpful, and overnight Lansinoh offered healing when my fingertips were getting sore. Lansinoh is modified lanolin, so it is non-allergenic. It comes in a purple tube and is sold with breasfeeding supplies.

• Karina
    Karina Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2017

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all lovely ladies !! Hope 2018 will be good year for all of us !!

Love Karina xxx

• Kimchee
    edited December 2017

Can someone tell me , is it normal to be so weak  on xeloda ? It's hard for me to clean my house or go shopping !! This is my second month on it . And I sick and tired of  sleeping all the time !! Some PLEASE HELP ME !

• dlb823
    dlb823 Member Posts: 2,701
    edited December 2017

Kimchee, Xeloda absolutely does cause fatigue, but being too weak to do anything should be reported to your onc. A dose reduction might be helpful, or a longer break before your next cycle, especially if the problem might be due to low blood counts. We all need to be aware of QOL issues and speak up if we’re struggling with something like weakness or any other severe SE

• HLB
    HLB Member Posts: 740
    edited December 2017

kimchee, I have the same problem. I can sleep 13 hrs and still doze off at work. I decided to try 7/7 instead of 14/7. Tues. Was day 7 and I had off work and did not do much of anything and still fell asleep at 8 pm and woke up at 8am. A little nervous about it but it's working for some ppl so we will see what happens. I had already reduced from 3000 to 2000 on the 2nd cycle. Now on 5th.

• pajim
    edited December 2017

Interesting. I have no fatigue at all. In fact I wish I could get to sleep more easily. Can we trade or find a happy medium?

So after a lovely Christmas on the beach in Mexico -- not to mention my week off -- I show up yesterday for blood work and to get more meds. Lo, my liver function values are "wonky". Is that a medical term? So MO and NP freak out and I have a CT scan tomorrow to 'rule out' liver mets (I assume. It wasn't spoken aloud) and more blood work next week. Meantime, an extra week off!!

I hope you all had a grand holiday with a few more days of holiday to come. . .

• goldie0827
    edited December 2017

Let us know pajim. Hoping it's not liver mets.

• Kimchee
    edited December 2017

Well I'm off my meds for a week . See what happens 

• pajim
    edited December 2017

CT is fine. No new mets, bones stable from six months ago and lungs are better. [I had pneumonitis at the time of the last CT].

Restarting Madam X tomorrow. Blood draw Tuesday to see if it was just the Mexican tequila.

Kimchee, I hope you get some energy back! It may take a couple of days as the drug needs to 'wash out' of your system some.

• Karina
    Karina Member Posts: 76
    edited December 2017

Pajim , that's excelent news!! Stable is good, enjoy !!

Love Karina x

• marylark
    marylark Member Posts: 159
    edited December 2017

pajim that is wonderful news. Happy New Year! I'm thrilled for you!

I have scans next Friday - first since I started Xeloda in late August. Meet with the on onc the following Monday. I'm praying for good news. I haven't had good news for quite a while.

Happy New Year to all. May 2018 be kind to us all.

Mary

• goldie0827
    edited December 2017

pajim, great news for the new year.

I had labs done Thursday, my TM's took a small jump, same as last time. Each time about 10. Had some real problems with HFS the end of my last cycle. On my week off since Sunday and just yesterday did they start feeling better. I may take like 9 days off, vs 7. See onc on Thursday. Gonna stick with X until my next labs in 6 weeks.