Comments

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited October 2019

Good luck, Katty!!

• Kattysmith
    Kattysmith Member Posts: 688
    edited October 2019

Monday, Monday. I took my first dose of three pills after a very light breakfast at 6:30. I took an ondasentron at 5 a.m. just to be on the safe side, although I know most people don't seem to have nausea with this.

So far, so good, although my bladder has gone into overdrive, which as I remember was common for me when I took other chemos.

My bladder says oh hell no! Guess I better pick up some pads until I know if this is going to settle down.

Hope this morning finds everyone well!

• JoynerL
    edited October 2019

Katty, you're going to be great.

• JoynerL
    edited October 2019

Well, that was stupid. Great has no meaning in that context. I believe that you're going to feel just fine!

• Kattysmith
    edited October 2019

Thanks so much for your support, and I am glad to know that you are doing so well!!!

• JoynerL
    edited October 2019

Katty, another hint that is working well for me and for some others of us: One of these wonderful folks suggested (and I think it may have been Goldie) the NatraCure "Five Toe Moisturizing Gel Booties". I can't imagine why they work as they do, but they're odd-looking "booties" with toes, and they're lined with some sort of gel. I wear them at night in bed. Some of us apply cream and then the booties, but I just use the booties;I worry that the cream would ultimately damage the effectiveness of the gel. Somehow, the gel seals in the natural moisture in your skin and keeps your feet softer and moist when you arise. I even wear them around the house when I have the chance. I got mine through Amazon. I wear a size 9.5 shoe, and the medium was too small (I clipped the heel elastic, as it was uncomfortable). I just got another pair in large and they look perfect. I strongly suggest that you order a pair.

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited October 2019

Joyner yes, I have those and always use some sort of cream or ointment with them and they have no damage at all. Have had mine for several months now. I find them to be hot and your feet can't breathe, but I keep them on as long as I can at night. I do like them.

• JoynerL
    edited October 2019

Thanks, Goldie. Good to know that they're not showing damage from the creams. In any case, at $14.99/pair, they're replaceable.

My larger pair had mixed reviews last night: less good contact with skin because larger but surely more comfortable.

• Kattysmith
    edited October 2019

That's a good idea and a medium should work for my size 8 feet. So, do you wear cotton gloves at night, too? I started last night. I'm an old tomboy who has never taken care of her skin, so I'm sure my hands and feet and wondering what's up with all of the gooey stuff...

• JoynerL
    edited October 2019

I know that some do the cotton gloves with moisturizers. For me, I found the creams "weep" through the gloves during the night, leaving stains on my sheets. I recently tried using Nitrile "doctor" gloves (from Costco) after gooping cream on my hands, and they work well overnight and don't leave stains. I just remove and discard the gloves in the am, rub the remainder of the moisturizer into my hands, and wipe off the residue. Has worked well for me.

I just saw these: made by NatraCure/same as booties. Has anyone tried them at night?

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,529
    edited October 2019

I like the silicone socks and food service gloves over Aquaphor the best.

• goldie0827
    edited October 2019

Joyner, those gloves look similar to the gel footies. Like Denny, I have just used latex gloves, grab a handful of them whenever I leave my MO's office!

• JoynerL
    edited October 2019

Goldie, I'm actually using those doctor gloves, too, with either Aquaphor or Bag Balm or something similar, at bedtime, and I'm having good results. But, I do really like the gel booties for my feet, and I'm wondering if the glove version (also from NatraCure) might be worth a try. Has anyone tried them?

Another thing I'm doing, which blessedly has nothing to do with BC(!!), is using Yoga Toes whenever I'm watching TV or reading. When I first put them on, they were somewhat torturous (if a word), but my toes quickly adjusted, and they're very comfortable now. Supposedly they put your toes into proper alignment for best foot health. Using them regularly also has made putting on the gel footies (someone of a contortionist move on my part at 73) easier!

Hugs to all, and Katty, I hope that you're doing well! I'm sure of it, though.

• Kattysmith
    edited October 2019

Day 3 and so far so good!

One question, during the day how often do you moisturize your hands and feet?

Like all routines, it will take me awhile to remember when to do everything like swish my mouth for the baking soda rinse etc.

Because we eat dinner around 6 p.m., I take my first three pills around 6:30 a.m., which means I have to choke down a very light breakfast beforehand! Yuk! But I will get used to that, too.

A new routine is a small price to pay if the xeloda gives me some good results. Make it so!

• goldie0827
    edited October 2019

Katty, I'm not a morning eater either, so I totally understand. I take my morning pills around 4-5 am and then around 3 pm for the rest. Yes, I'm an early riser! I try to put lotion or something on at least in the morning and before bed. What's weird is my left foot is worse than the right and my right hand is worse than the left!

• Kattysmith
    edited October 2019

I usually get up between 4:15 - 5:15 and have coffee, but it takes a while to work up to food!

So far it seems like a piece of cheese toast is enough to constitute "a meal" along with a big glass of water or a small portion of instant oatmeal.

Thanks for the input; it helps to know what everyone else is doing!

That is weird about the left right thing, are cancer bodies do the strangest things! Last week, after 4 years of not having any armpit odor, my right pit was stinky... not my left mind you, only my right! Go figure! So I bought some deodorant but it hasn't been a problem since then. :) Crazy.

• denny123
    edited October 2019

Actually, Goldie..I use the thinner food service gloves...cheaper too. I think the latex gloves are too hard to put on at night.

I don't like anything between my toes, like the thong sandals, so the toe things won't work for me. And sometimes my toes get too sore to touch.

During the day, I try to put a thin layer of Aquaphor on my feet every 4 hours, then my hands get a very thin coating too. But of course I have to watch what I touch.

I am on my computer all day, since I try to sell on 5 Internet sites, so I have Udderly Smooth and Jergen's lotion here beside me. I use it constantly.

What is crazy, is that I am always washing my hands and that sure doesn't help.

• goldie0827
    edited October 2019

I hear ya Denny. I remember you commenting that you couldn't do the toe ones. With my hands all gooped up, I don't have any trouble getting the gloves on. I use Jergens too, the one with pure African Shea Butter. I will probably be moving on to a different treatment by the end of next month, my TM's are elevating quite a bit, quicker than before and in larger numbers, I'm now in the 700's. Next treatment will be Verzineo with Faslodex.

• denny123
    edited October 2019

Sorry to hear that your TM's are rising. My onc doesn't check mine since they are never accurate.

I use the Jergens original cherry-almond lotion, since I love the smell. I am allergic to perfumes so all of the other kinds bother me.

I hate the Faslodex shots, and they didn't work for me anyway. But some ladies do very well on just the shots alone.

• Topacio
    Topacio Member Posts: 34
    edited October 2019

Hi everyone, hope everybody is doing well.

Regarding to the creams for hand and feet, what I learn is that everybody react different .

In my case I try different creams but only one has really help me. The glasal base moisturizer cream the one recommend after radiation treatment.

What I do everyday is scrubbing my feet and hands with baking soda, that really help with the dryness and then put the cream . So far my hands don' t crack neither my feet.

So I hope I can help someone with the problem.

Have a nice day !!!

• JoynerL
    edited October 2019

Oh, Goldie...I I hate that you're having to move on to something else. That's always so unsettling. Please keep us posted and stay in touch. You've been a great source of information and inspiration on Xeloda.

Topacio, thanks for the new ideas.

• Kattysmith
    edited October 2019

Goldie, I'm sorry you have to move on, too. The Faslodex shots weren't bad. I had a great nurse and ample fanny padding, so it wasn't painful. They do advise walking around for a bit after you have them.

Denny, that lovely Jergens scent always reminds me of my mother; it was very popular in the sixties and I get a flashback when I smell it! I'm using a thick Vermont Bag Balm at night (no scent) and Udderly Smooth during the day.

My feet hate anything between my toes, too, but I am a sock devotee. Topacio, that's a good idea about the baking soda scrub. I just started Xeloda Monday, but my my heels already had cracks because I didn't take care of them.

I'm still trying to find something I can stomach eating at 6am before my pills. I may have to resort to Carnation Instant Breakfast or Orgain (vanilla only) if they aren't too sweet and full of garbage (which I'm sure they are...). If they are too nasty and artificial, guess I can blend a quick banana / milk / protein powder liquid breakfast.

Have a good day everyone!

• goldie0827
    edited October 2019

Katty, be sure and look at the ingredients in the protein powder, a lot of those are full of garbage as well. I personally like Vega Sport. It's plant based and organic. As for the HFS, I did not get it right away, in fact it may have been several months before it reared it's ugly head.

As for the Faslodex, I did that before X and it didn't work, but this time it will be in conjunction with Verzinio. My onc says he has said he has seen good results with that combo.

Joyner, thank you for your kind words. X has been go to me for 4.5 years! My onc says I am his patient that has had the longest run on X, most only get 1-2 years on it.

I get nuclear bone scan end of next month, had CT scan of abdomen in July, it showed nothing.

Edited to add: When I did Faslodex before, I had no problems with it at all, no SE's what so ever.

• goldie0827
    edited October 2019

Katty, I think a banana in the morning is ok, or maybe a piece of toast with peanut butter on it? I only take 2 pills in the morning, and often don't eat anything and I don't have any problems.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 760
    edited October 2019

hi everyone

I know TM can be tricky and we shouldn’t trust them. Just curious if any of you have had TM slowly rise but CT scans show shrinkage.
    CA 15-3 rose from 33 to 36 while on X.. If I get shrinkage I qualify for liver surgery.
    Ugh! X has been tough to handle the SE and no idea if it is working. Waiting is so hard My scans are in 3 weeks.

Dee

• goldie0827
    edited October 2019

Dee, your numbers are still very low. I would just wait until scans. A rise of 3 points, I don't think as a concern. Mine are in the 700's but don't show anything in my organs as of July this year, just bones.

Hugs

Relax and......

See the source image

• snooky1954
    snooky1954 Member Posts: 850
    edited October 2019

Alabama, Tm's often rise when their is cancer cell die-off. Apparently the test can't tell the difference between dead and alive cells.

• dorimak
    dorimak Member Posts: 89
    edited October 2019

Hi, I was wondering how long everyone has been on Xeloda. I was on it earlier this year and it was the first treatment that shrank the cancer. Then I had this bad experience with decatron where I was off all treatment for a few months and only resumed about a month ago. I have visible met on my sternum and it feels like it's getting bigger.

Also, wondering if anyone had any hair thinning. This wasn't an issue for me earlier this year but now when I brush my hair, there's a lot of hairs in my hair brush :(.

• JoynerL
    edited October 2019

Dorimak, I've been on Xeloda since February, and so far, so good. No hair thinning as far as I have noticed

My onc said something very discouraging at my last visit 2 wks ago, when I asked her specifically what she envisioned for me: though I've had stable scans, she said that she expected Xeloda is likey to fail within the next 6 months and that I'd be on to something else. Wish I'd kept my mouth shut.

• goldie0827
    edited October 2019

4.5 years for me, no hair loss.

Joyner, don't listen to that doctor. They have no way of knowing. I've only stayed on due to the fact that I have no pain, altho some progression in the bones. I have a nuclear bone end of November, last one was in January.