All about Xeloda

Comments

• Kattysmith
    Kattysmith Member Posts: 688
    edited March 2020

Back to Xeloda!

My side effects have been very manageable and fairly mild since I started taking xeloda and November. Does anyone else wake up with an extremely stiff and sore neck and upper back? I believe I read that muscle aches can be a side effect. It doesn't persist throughout the day at least not in intensity.

Katty

• JoynerL
    JoynerL Member Posts: 1,392
    edited March 2020

AGREED...back to Xeloda. Katty, I wake up feeling like the Tin Man and walk stiff-legged to the bathroom. On a side note, since the Y is now closed, I do my improvised work-out routine at home, including lots of stretching to try to stay reasonably flexible. I don't know whether this stiffness is oncoming/worsening osteoarthritis (I mean that to be just plain old arthritis) or something sinister. That said, I don't see how overall stiffness could be the bone mets, but maybe I'm being naive. I intend to discuss this with my onc in mid-April when I see her after my every-3-mo PET scan on the 7th.

Hang in there, folks...we'll get through this blasted virus. I'm ducking and dodging here in the Northern Neck of VA. So far, no known cases in our county, but that may just be lack of testing.

• denny123
    denny123 Member Posts: 1,529
    edited March 2020

I went to my chemo center today for my Herceptin IV, and was reassured that they have plenty of gloves and masks....unlike our huge hospital system, where my daughter is a nurse. She is being urged to re-use her 4 masks.

No snacks, juice or coffee out, but we could ask our nurses for juice and snacks. They are only allowing one relative over 18 with each patient.

So it seemed pretty safe and now I will hibernate for 3 weeks until I have to go back again.

In am in PA and the cases of Covid19 are growing.

I don't have any stiffness, TG. Just the sore hands and feet.

• Leee
    Leee Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2020

Does anyone take Gabapentin for the foot/hand syndrome and/or neuropathy?

Does it help??

• JoynerL
    edited March 2020

Not I, and I've not heard about it. What is it?

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,835
    edited March 2020

Seizure medication for H/F? Not sure I would want to.

• nicolerod
    nicolerod Member Posts: 2,877
    edited March 2020

I think I heard someone talking about that on Facebook.....but I personally don't know anyone using that. If I can find it on facebook Ill post it here for you Leee

• Kattysmith
    edited March 2020

My husband took Gabapentin for neural pain when he had shingles last year and our vetprescribed it for one of our dogs for pain.

• Leee
    Leee Member Posts: 115
    edited March 2020

Goldie - Neurontin is alsoRX’d for neuropathy.

• nicolerod
    edited March 2020

Leee I found the thread on facebook there are about 15 comments they all said it works for neuropathy, one person said it caused weight gain...another said it made them sleepy and some said no side effects.

• husband11
    husband11 Member Posts: 1,287
    edited March 2020

Both my wife and I have used gabapentin. It's relatively harmless, and for some people its a really effective (off label use) sleep aid. My wife got her GP to prescribe it for her after I was on it for a neck injury and discovered its amazing sleep inducing properties. I would sleep without waking up even once during the night, which is so unusual. She tried it, found it worked somewhat, but for her, it didn't really address the issues she had. She has some lingering neuropathy from taxols and xeloda, and restless leg syndrome. The restless legs might be aggravated by her low hemoglobin and iron stores, which is something that is now getting corrected. In the end, she abandoned gabapentin for sleep. But for me, it worked wonders. They also say unlike other prescription sleep meds, it generally does not wear off. That's my 2 cents on the subject.

• goldie0827
    edited March 2020

Thank you Lee for the explanation. Fortunately, I do not have any pain or any neuropathy. Also I am no longer on X, but I do follow and read. For those of you trying it, I hope it helps.

• arolsson
    arolsson Member Posts: 94
    edited March 2020

Hi everyone, my two cents on gabapentin:

-was prescribed gabapentin after they removed the lymph nodes under my arm. The pain was indescribable. They kept upping the dose (to about 900 mg 3x day) and it did help some with the pain but I had some very difficult mental side effects. It was very difficult to focus and I had terrible nightmares and even suicidal thoughts. I stopped on my own from one day to the next, also a really bad idea.

-Now 2,5 years later I have neuropathy in my hands and feet from the chemo (have had 7 different kinds, hard to say which did the most damage, probably Xeloda and the Taxols. In any case don¨t you love how they say "it will go away when you stop treatment?" Hard not to snap at people and say yes well when I stop treatment that means I'm end stage. Anyhow, more importantly I read that gabapentin could help with neuropathy so tried a fairly low/moderate dose--300mg 3 times daily. WHAT A MIRACLE! I can now type and manage buttons. Even use my iphone (though the Xeloda burned off my fingerprints). And no side effects except it does perhaps make me a little more relaxed.

Different things work for different people. I had been warning people off gabapentin because of my earlier experience, now it's my lifeline. Worth asking about!

• JoynerL
    edited March 2020

Goldie, what are you doing and how are you doing?

• goldie0827
    edited March 2020

Joyner, I'm now on Verzenio, Faslodex and Xgeva. Been on the Xgeva for years. Doing pretty good on it, just have to watch blood levels, liver and kidney. But I guess that is probably the case with most drugs we are prescribed. Still trying to clear my feet up, the bottoms are very dry and thick.

• denny123
    edited March 2020

Goldie-Verzenio sound interesting, since that could be an option for me. Please keep us updated. I was on Faslodex for a couple of years and really hated those shots.

I finally was able to stop the shots since it wasn't helping my chest nodes. I was also on Kadcyla at that time.

But a lot of ladies at my chemo center are doing very well on it and have been stable for years, thanks to Faslodex.

• imagine
    imagine Member Posts: 96
    edited March 2020

Hi Lynn, I’m in Va Beach, isn’t this a mess we have with this Coronavirus?? Some people I know have said they understand what I have been feeling for the last 8 months or so with this DX.

• JoynerL
    edited March 2020

Hi, Karen! Glad to know that you're close by! I'm sitting at my desk looking out at the creek. I took this photo last night of two boys in a kayak out where I'm looking now, headed home at dusk. That water is SO COLD still...it was all I could do not to go into "Mom mode" and yell at them that it wasn't safe for them to be on the water!

If these people you know don't have a similar diagnosis, I don't imagine that they understand what you've been feeling! When were you diagnosed Stage IV? Doesn't say on your data. Hugs to you-

• divinemrsm
    divinemrsm Member Posts: 6,585
    edited March 2020

Joyner, what a view! Those colors are spectacular!

• JoynerL
    edited March 2020

The photo somehow looks more like a painting than a photo-

• melmcbee
    melmcbee Member Posts: 371
    edited March 2020

Hi Ladies. I have been sick the last 4 days of chemo. Lets see they lowered my dose down to 3000 am and pm because my gands and feet are so badly burned. My primary gave me gbapentin which helps with pain somewhat but not with peeling skin and burned off layers. Im using every lotion aloe everything. Gel socks and gloves. The diarrhea is so bad that I have had accidents. Abd pain. Mouth sores and maybe even a bought with thrush. Not sure. White tongue is gone. For 3 days I couldnt keep my eyes open. Now from reading here I guess that is from gabapentin. Does anybody have a suggestion for the diarrhea? I was feeling great until the last 3 days of my chemo and it fell apart. Before then I felt great and canceled my dr appt because of corona virus thing. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

• melmcbee
    edited March 2020

oh I forgot chemo brain. I cant remember an

• JoynerL
    edited March 2020

Mel, I don't know anything about the gabapentin, but there has been a recent discussion on this string, so someone does. Surely your onc would reduce your dosage of Xeloda over your terrible hand and foot syndrome? I have to argue with my own NOT to reduce, as she doesn't want it to get too bad.

• goldie0827
    edited March 2020

melmcbee, 6 pills morning and 6 pills nightly? Holy cow! I couldn't handle 3am and 4pm. There are some gals here that do 2 and 2. I would say lower your dose.

• nicolerod
    edited March 2020

mel your dose seems crazy high. I would suggest a lot of rice for the diahreah also get a probiotic the chemo is definitely contributing to killing the good bacteria in your gut.

• Kattysmith
    edited March 2020

Oh Mel, that is awful! Yes, you need a lower dose if Xeloda is causing such severe side effects! Call your doctor!

If you can get unsweetened flaked coconut, take a couple of teaspoons per day for diarrhea. You can mix it yogurt. We keep it on hand for the dogs and ourselves. Once the diarrhea stops, don't take anymore as it can clog you up, too.

Hoping for immediate relief and comfort for you.

Katty

• denny123
    edited March 2020

My friend had success with charcoal tablets for diarrhea.

You definitely need a lower dose! That is criminal! I use Aquaphor constantly with silicone socks and food service gloves. I even use it on hands and feet through the day.

I feel really bad for you. Quality of life is important!

• melmcbee
    edited March 2020

im so sorry said the dose wrong. Its 3000 total. 3 pills in morn 3 pills at night. I am going to go back up and read yalls responses now. Im so embarrassed at saying it wrong. Im so sorry.

• melmcbee
    edited March 2020

Thank yall for the tips. Probiotic would help tremendously with mouth sores and possible thrush. Im definitely gonna try the diarrhea ideas. It was better today. My off week started sunday. Im so thankful for your advice. I definitely need to vall them because I kind of jumped at the chance to cancel my appt and blood work this week die to corona virus. I saved pics of all of your tips so I can look back and not forget what yall said. I hate to reduce my dose but I guess I will have to. Thanks again. Hope all of y’all are feeling goo

• JoynerL
    edited March 2020

I was just reading the paper, and the word, gabapentin, caught my eye. Here's the column, for what it may or may not be worth: