Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

Mastectomy Sept 2011

Comments

• Colodisneylover
    Colodisneylover Member Posts: 183

Hello-

I just wanted to pop in and say hi. I had a prophylactic mastectomy on 9/16.  Today I am getting my second drain out.  After a previous MX, 8 rounds of chemo, and 31 sessions of rads, all I can say is that this MX was much easier than my first back in February. I hope everyone is doing well and your recovery is going smoothly. Hang in there!

• chonikel
    chonikel Member Posts: 71

dancetrancer - I thought about the ice thing - of course since my PS could not be bothered to spend more than 3 minutes with me on MONDAY - I didn't really get a chance to ask any questions (Still burning about that visit)

I will follow-up and ask though - no worries.

I try to get up every 30 minutes or so even just to walk to the kitchen and back.  I get so stiff sitting in that chair

Thank you for the support sister!

ENJOY YOUR SHOWER _ but be safe!

• rk85
    rk85 Member Posts: 80

Babycakes, 3 weeks post op and back to work!  That is so great.  Unless I can get a job as a mattress tester, I don't think I'll be able to pull that off. 

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461

Thanks chonikel!  I'll be very careful - don't want to hurt the new girls!  LOL

rk85 - I'm a huge believer in exercise, and I really believe it has been extremely helpful to my recovery.  I'll share what I did along my recovery path over on the fat graft board.  Hopefully it will help prepare you, since you likely will be having the same procedure  (although I don't know where he'll be harvesting fat from you.)    

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 5,250

Hi bayareamom, I'm your neighbor in San Jose. I had my bmx on 9/7 and although it wasn't fun, my fears and anxiety going in to it were worse than the reality. My thoughts and prayers are with you. Let me know if I can do anything to help. Caryn

• olgah34
    olgah34 Member Posts: 300

Thanks, Margie! Goodluck with your surgery, I will pray for you....

Happy for everyone who is getting better!

• exbrnxgrl

Hi all,

Trying to remember who asked what!

Dance trance- I am a Kaiser patient and they are big on classes and patient education. No problems or LE but I took the class so I could be as well informed as possible and pro-active to minimize my chance of having problems.

Olga- so sorry about this difficult time. We can do only so much to prevent se's and then we just have to understand that each person reacts differently to the trauma bc puts us through. Lots of love.

Tappy- have you tried the Coobie bra? Much less constricting than a sports bra. Super stretchy, light support. Did you have reconstruction? PS: Coobie should send me free bras for promoting their product.

Stjude- sorry about extra surgery but glad it was minor. I have to have my left nipple removed due to a bit of dcis. Not looking forward to it but should be easier than bmx.

Love to all, Caryn

• dancetrancer

GREAT news! 

Just found out the pathology came back as nothing invasive!  The posterior margin was a bit close to the pec muscle, but doc says it should be fine. Will be getting a second opinion on the path from my doc here in Alabama to be sure, though.   

P.S. My shower by myself for the first time went well, and I climbed the stairs for the first time with no problem. Yahoo!!!!!!!!!!!!

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415

Welcome bayareamom. Sorry you have to join us but hope we can help you during your recovery. Wishing you the best during your surgery today.

Babycakes, you are truly amazing already back to work. Can't wait to get back to the normal grind if nothing for the comfort of routine.

Olgah, I am so glad you checked in as we were worrying about you. I hope your chemo passes quickly and that you feel better soon. 

Caryn - you are a great spokesperson and I think you should at least get a discount!!

Sending hugs to all...

• Lady-di
    Lady-di Member Posts: 74

Margie-I love the packman idea. It's so fitting

Bayareamom-thinking of you today and we'll be here for your recovery

Welcome colodisneylover- you have found a great bunch here.

Olga-so glad you have cheched in with us. Was wondering how you are doing.

Dancetrancer- so happy that your pathology came back non-invasive.

• Lady-di
    Lady-di Member Posts: 74

Bbbsmom- will be thinking of you tomorrow and hoping your having a peaceful day today!!!

• Hi Girls! I have napped all afternoon - so interesting how fatigue can catch up to a girl post-surgery. Saw my PS this a.m. and got my last 2 drains out - I am drain free - yipeee! She confirmed healing is going well - one little spot on Lefty is a little sketchy (this is the previously irradiated breast) - have to make an appt. for 2 weeks and she might do a little revision to get this little bit of skin that's not healing well off. No biggie - in-office procedure.

St. Jude - sorry for your extra surgery. Sounds like you're doing OK, so glad about that.

Dancetrancer - yay yay yay! all great re the path and the shower and the stairs. Cheers to progress.

Olga - I'm sorry you're suffering. I was worried that was what was going on - don't be a hero, take your Ativan if you need it. I took .5 mg. of Ativan EVERY SINGLE NIGHT during my 11 mos. of treatment my last go-round w/BC. It was the only way I could get relaxed enough to fall asleep. You will wean off it when you're done. You need sleep. You will get through this, my friend!

Caryn - Coobie bras needs to hire you as an official spokesperson. I ordered 3 and had them overnighted to me - got them this a.m. and wore one to the hospital today. THEY ARE FRICKIN' FABULOUS. Soft and comfy but with just enough support, and cute enough so you don't feel like a post-surgical hag. I even got a bright purple one with lace - take that, surgical bra! My PS loved the basic buff one I wore today - she did not know about them. Thank you SO much for this lead.

So I asked about physical activity today - I am a 7/day/week exercise nut and wanted to know when restrictions might be lifted. PS told me I am to do NOTHING that gets my heart rate up for 6 weeks. Yikes. I can stroll. No arm swinging, no repetitive motion, no power-walking. I'm determined to have my healing go well, but a little freaked at how deconditioned i'm going to be . . . I was kicking ass going into surgery - I guess I'll just work my way back slowly once I'm cleared.

RK85 - I hope there is more than one position open for mattress testing - today, especially, I feel I am the PERFECT candidate for that position - came home from doc and got back in my jammies.

So bbbsmom- tomorrow's your day! I wish you all the very best. Hang in there, try to rest tonight. We'll be pulling for you.

OK gals - sending you all hugs. We may have our trials, but at least we also have each other.

Sarah 

• olgah34

Thank you, my dear ladies!I am sorry I disappeared, but it is , probably, my personality- when I am depressed, I disappear...

Actually, chemo is not as bad as I thought it would be.I never throwed up and I never was nauseas so far...I don't have gall bladder, so I have IBS and problems with food since then.Now my aesophagus and throat are very sensitive, it hurts and I feel pressure there.I checked my leykocytes today, of course , it was low, so was HB, but they don't do anything about it, they say  body takes care of it.I got couple of books in Cancer center about what to eat,it is a puzzle.

With low leukocytes- everything boiled and soft, no fresh fruit or veggies. Even canned soups are ok. On another thought, I need alot of protein. And, what it is.Chicken breast, eggs, meat no bigger then playing cards.I constantly have gas in my stomach and pain in my throat or stomach.No diarrhea. I take omeprazole 40 mg, and I have this cholestyramine my GA prescribed me, but it absorbs nutrients, which I need.

I want to eat cheasecake, but is it healthy?I am confused.

And one of my so-called boobs is red , they say it is ok...

hugs to all of ladies, gentle ones...

• odie16

Olgah,

We were just worried but understand the days where you just don't feel up to chiming in.. I too have been trying to watch what I eat now and boy is it confusing! Not sure if the cheesecake is medically recommended but it is a dairy protein right? Spiritually recommended though!  Just save me a piece, ok?

Good luck tomorrow bbbsmom. Go kick bc butt and rest well.

Thanks to everyone for the words of encouragement to those of us facing chemo....

Gotta run, time to test those pj's again...  Hugs to all 

• dancetrancer
    Best wishes to bbbsmom and bayareamom for your surgeries tomorrow! 
  • Odie & Olga - re eating while on chemo - many cancer centers have nutritionists that can help sort out the food puzzle while on chemo. Olga, you have existing issues that are making it even harder to sort out what to eat . . . and for anyone, it's so important to get those nutrients in to help your body function optimally while it's getting assaulted w/the drugs. Cheesecake might actually be really hard on you, Olga, b/c of the high fat content . . . but I am w/Odie that food can be VERY spiritually uplifting (I am a real foodie), so it is definitely important to find some treats that make you happy that will also be OK w/your digestive issues.

xo

Sarah 

• rk85
    rk85 Member Posts: 80

Sarah & Olga, and anyone else having sleep issues, I have found melatonin really works wonders for me.  Just a small dose (2.5 mg) and if I get into bed and read it'll be lights out without fail.  I didn't think something non-prescription would work this well but I'm so happy to find it does.  But if I stay up on the computer or doing things, I can overcome it so you really must get into bed in a dark room and try to relax.

Dr. Christine Horner also gives the following benefits of melatonin: slows down the production of estrogen, prevents its overproduction, blocks its stimulatory effects on breast cells, and increases vitamin D's tumor fighting abilities (pg 184-185, Waking the Warrior Goddess). 

• jazz3000
    jazz3000 Member Posts: 109

SAO hoping your drains are no longer attached to you, but rather back on the shelf at the hospital where they belong. I've had my drains out for several days but still can't lift my arm to dance a jig. I can lift it up but have to keep working on moving it over my head. Hoping yours is moving better. Nodes removal makes it hurt more they say. Either that or I'm just a weiny. LOL

almostfifty, I hate these little shockwaves the doctors and pathologists keep handing me, but I don't think you need to be afraid. It sounds like the chemo did just what it needed to. It pushed the original tumor out of you and that's very hopeful. What the pathologist shared is what was going on with that tumor so thank goodness you had the chemo. Your 5mm clearance is a good thing as the cancer hasn't invaded your chestwall. That's a relief. The surgery removed all that but I'm sure they want to be sure any floating cells are now gone with the use of radiation. I have a path report very similar. I just have to have chemo after surgery and radiation after that due to the triple negative ER HER and PR. Your going to do well I'm sure so don't be afraid. 

Hey donna333 - welcome - What an initiation, huh? LOL - Hope your doing okay and all is well.

Applauding dancetrancer for the do it yourself efforts for the day. Good on you. Freedom is close. 

• rachelvk
    rachelvk Member Posts: 564

Hi girls - Even though I'm now scheduled for Oct, I've been keeping track of everyone here. Best wishes for speedy and hurdle-free recoveries going forward. 

Thought I'd mention this about chemo, though maybe it's more for the 'alternative' threads. I have a friend who, when she was going through chemo, had a doctor who was testing a theory about olive oil helping preserve your taste buds (apparently one of the things that can also go haywire during chemo). She had a spoonful of olive oil several times a day, and swears she hardly lost her taste during that time. I figure I might try it, since it certainly can't do any harm....

• exbrnxgrl

Jazz, have you seen a pt? I went to a pt class on Monday and have been faithfully doing my exercises since. Even just a few days have helped increase range of motion on the side where nodes were removed. Also learned lymph drainage massage.

Sarah/Olga , food glorious food! If cheesecake sounds good and you can digest it, I don't think a moderate portion will hurt. For several days after I got home from the hospital I had no appetite. Then, I had a craving for French toast made with cinnamon raisin challah, topped with strawberries and honey. May not have been the best choice but it was divine and I ate it with great relish.

Still waiting to become official Coobie spokesperson ...

Caryn

• jazz3000
    jazz3000 Member Posts: 109

exbrnxgirl- I am suppose to see a PT but I don't know when. It's been 12 days since surgery and even though they say I will have one I'm still waiting.

• So question for you guys who're doing PT - Caryn, I know you had the same surgery as me - and my PS says no moving my arms higher than shoulder level, and generally, not a lot of movement at all so that the implants can "settle". What sorts of exercises are you guys doing in PT? I haven't noted much range of motion limitation yet, but then again, I'm really doing a lotta nothin'. I have indulged in a few shoulder rolls b/c I'm prone to frozen shoulder on my left side anyway, but otherwise, I've played it VERY safe. Just curious 'cause I know different docs have different ideas about this stuff.

rachelvk - never heard that about olive oil! my tastebuds were fine during chemo, but I did develop aversions to certain tastes and smells that I'd previously liked. Best example, my MIL's jumbalaya (did I spell this right? they'll kill me, my husband grew up in New Orleans) which I normally would kill for smelled and tasted like dog food. I kid you not. It was wretched.

rk85 - I have other friends who swear by melatonin - I've never had luck w/it and not sure why. I have a long history (and family history) of circadian rhythm problems - my people, we like to be in bed by 9 and up by 5 a.m.! It's just when it's 3 a.m. that it starts to kill ya.

Jazz - drain free, baby! could I have possibly forgotten to mention that yesterday? man, I WAS tired. I am lovin' the drain-free life. no jigs for me though - trying to be "good."

Re food. I just had a piece of chocolate zucchini bread as breakfast number 1. There are veggies in that! Seriously though - I'm finding the things that are appealing to me most are hearty, very veggie-heavy soups. Light but nourishing. It's amazing how little appetite I have compared to when I'm "normal." Don't need much to fuel all these naps and computer sessions. Last night a good friend brought one of my favorite kale and lentil soups - chock full of veggie protein and tons of kale, carrots, onions, garlic, etc. Health in a bowl. My niece did reassure me that your body is using up a lot of calories to heal . . . my usual daily workouts burn up around 400-600 cals. so I am used to much more unbridled noshing!!

Off to finish my tea and take my a.m. nap. Check in w/you gals later.

Sarah 

• chonikel
    chonikel Member Posts: 71

Had a lousy night - some pill that I took before bed got lodged somewhere and woke me up at 2 AM with horrible heartburn!  ARGGH

THEN this morning - I go out to take my daily dose of MORE pills and I for some reason look again at my antibiotic and realize (1 week after being home and taking pills) that I am supposed to take TWO pills twice a day - and I have been taking ONE.

OOOPS!!

Oh well - they say 2 pills twice a day for fourteen days - so I have 7 left.

I feel so stupid and sick of this fog in my brain

Why can't they just put MORE in ONE Pill why do I have to take  TWO??? :)
    Have a nice day - thinking of you all!!!
    TIna

• MargieC
    MargieC Member Posts: 302

Bbbsmon and bayareamom. Good luck today I hope all goes easily for you.

• dancetrancer

Olgah - nice to hear from you again! 

Tina - oh no about the heartburn and the antibiotic! I found it really hard to keep up with my pills - even with writing it down and DH trying to track it. Our brains just do NOT work like they normally do for a while after surgery. I had to take my antibiotic every 6 hours so that meant waking up in the middle of the night to take it. I didn't set a clock - I woke up at least once a night anyways, so I just took it whenever that was. Close enough in my book - long as I got the 4 pills in a day!

Sarah - I wasn't allowed to raise above 90 degrees until 1 wk post op, so, like you, I didn't do much and followed the doc's guidelines very carefully.  I did make sure I at least used that 90 degrees!    I too wasn't sure if I had lost much motion, b/c I couldn't test it out. So once I got clearance Wed, I found that I had indeed lost ~ 30% of my motion. I started doing a few ex's Wed (on the airplane, LOL), but yesterday I did a full range of motion program at home (GENTLY - not pushing into pain), and I'm already seeing remarkable improvement. This quick improvement has been a relief to me. Hopefully you will find the same once you are cleared to start motion.   I don't think there is much you can do (aside from the gentle shoulder blade squeezes you are already doing) until then.  You may want to see about getting PT lined up ahead of time so you are ready to GO as soon as your doc gives you clearance - in some areas there is a 1 to 2 wk wait to get in for your first PT appt! BTW, pulleys have been a great thing for me to have at home and feel sooo good.

• olgah34

Just came back from Cancer center.I noticed redness in my left breasr with TE, AND yesterday some disharge came out. Lovely! First thing in the morning went to PS office, he sent me to Cancer Center to put IV with antibiotics and prescribed me more per os. CC took my blood again to find what is acceptable ( bacteria?) for antibiotics, they took blood twice from port and right arm.See PS on Monday, I hope everything works out and I won't have an infection. Pray for me...  

• exbrnxgrl

Olga, you are in my thoughts and prayers. Be very good to yourself in the mean time. Much love, Caryn

• dancetrancer

Praying for you Olgah!!!  <hugs>

• Oh Olga, I hope hope hope it's not an infection - or if it is, that this'll get knocked out and won't affect your reconstruction or treament. You'll be in my thoughts.

Big hug to you - take it easy this weekend.

Sarah 

• odie16

Praying for you Olgah! Rest up & hopefully the IV antibiotic will clear it right up.

Having a rough day as I hoped to get my remaining drains out today but no go...Guess I will have to hope for next week.. Realize I am whining a bit today so I apologize but I am just really tired of the stupid things.

Hope everything is going well for everyone. Have a great day!