Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Mastectomy Sept 2011

Options

Comments

• MargieC
    MargieC Member Posts: 302
    Options

Odie---  I 2nd your sentatment.  I don't know what I would have done without my sister here.  Family and friends are wonderful, but they don't always get what and how we are feeling.

I hope everyone is doing well and done or close to done with treatment.

I had my nipple/fat grafting 3 weeks ago (tattoo sometime this summer).  I have 2 herceptin infusion left and then I am done with drugs.  YEA

• chonikel
    chonikel Member Posts: 71
    Options

Good evening ladies -

FINALLY had my exchange surgery today - in and out 4 hours... home and resting... Sore but not a big deal compared to September.
    I get the bandages off Monday - we shall see how they look.!

Have a great weekend  and so grateful to all my sisters! 

• groovygirls
    groovygirls Member Posts: 100
    Options

Good morning everyone!

I am thinking of you all as many of us are coming up to our one year marks. This year has gone by so fast for me. Lots of good things and not so good things.

Hoping all is well

• MargieC
    Options

Groovygirls  ---  we must be on the same wavelength today.  I haven't been on here in awhile and today I went on to see how everyone is doing and there you are posting.  I hope you are doing ok.

I hope everyone is do well.  I hope everyone has a much better summer this year than last Sealed

I had my last stage of my journey Mon - got my tattoos.  I am completely done.  Now I just see my Dr's every 3 months.

sending you all a hug --  I love all of you and wouldn't have gotten through this without your support.

• dancetrancer
    dancetrancer Member Posts: 2,461
    Options

Hello girlfriends!  Congrats on finishing treatment!  Hope you are enjoying your summer!

Of course you all know I'm behind all of you in recovery, since I was misdiagnosed for the first 4 months.  Soooooo....I just finished chemo a week ago today, which royally SUCKED.  I'm still recovering from the last round and feeling yucko, but I am PFC dammit!

I have big plans for the late summer/fall when I am feeling well - friends coming to visit, traveling to NH to sail with my brother, meeting up with friends for a week in Key West (ya-hoo!) and then meeting more friends for a weekend in Nashville.   Cannot wait to get some normalcy back in my life!

Nice to check in and wishing you all the best! 

• odie16
    odie16 Member Posts: 1,415
    Options

Hey there ladies!

Glad to see everyone doing well and moving on to put the previous year behind us.  Was a difficult year made bearable by friendship found here. Am glad to be putting this year behind me and wish everyone a wonderful summer. 

• Unknown
    Options

Hi everyone - I can't believe MARCH was the last time I checked in here - think of you often, though! Congrats to those finished with treatment - DT - HOOOOOOO-FREAKIN'-RAY for the end of chemo. Tina - how do they look? I hope you're feeling OK about 'em. More comfortable, at least? Olga - have you checked my blog lately? I'm cooking and blogging again and there are lots of recipes for you! And Caryn, congratulations on your baby granddaughter! I hope you are enjoying her.

Things are great here. I'm feeling wonderful, and this summer is SO MUCH BETTER than last summer. I'm calling it my "summer of fun," although hubs is working on selling the business and is slammed this summer . . . so not so much fun for him - but at least this stress is much preferable to last year's stress. I'm still working toward my goal of being in the best shape of my life - have a new trainer and working on a business plan for a new personal training/wellness coaching venture I'm cooking up. We leave for a 2 week family vacation to Vancouver at the end of the month - never been - looking forward to something different for a change this year.

I wish you all a happy 4th of July!

xo

Sarah 

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,830
    Options

Sarah,

I was just wondering about you! So good to hear that things are going well. I am the picture of stage IV health, if there is such a thing. My school year was very busy but, of course, I loved it. Enjoying a leisurely summer and my beautiful granddaughter who is now 3 months old. Take good care of yourself. Caryn

• olgah34
    olgah34 Member Posts: 300
    Options

Hello, everyone!

I have chemo head, that's why I am not on the forum...It is difficult for me to concentrate, plus English is not my native language...I do a lot of stupid and scary stuff with chemo head, including driving...and I am very, very depressed...I see concelour, it does not help. I have appointment with PS next week, we will decide about my reconstruction , what do I have to do - flap or another expander...I am looking so ugly undernath my bra- makes me cry...I have to have at least 2 more operations to fix it.

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Olgah,

It's so good to hear from you! I know things have been very difficult almost since your mastectomy. With all your reconstruction problems and chemo, it is no wonder you are struggling. In addition to counseling, have you thought about an anti-depressant? I started taking Effexor after my surgery and then my stage IV diagnosis. It has been very effective. Are you still using the same ps? I don't know anything about the flap surgeries but I know there are many threads on this forum where you could get info and ask questions. Olgah, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Come back here whenever you need support or just to vent. Love, caryn

• MargieC
    Options

Wow - it seems like forever since I have been on here.

Sarah so glad you are having a good summer. 

Caryn your little grandbaby looks adorable.  sounds like things are going good which I am glad about.

Olgah you have had such a hard time with all this.  I am sending you tons of prayers that things get easier.

I hope all the rest of the group is doing well.  Can you believe it was a year ago when everyone was getting ready for surgery.

As for me.  I had my exchange in Jan, Fat grafting and nipple recon in Mar, finished herceptin in May, June had my port removed and got my tattoos.  I am working on getting back into shape and getting on with my new normal.

sending hugs to all of you.. 

• olgah34
    Options

Well, ladies...TE won't work for me, not enough fat. I have to decide between DIEP FLAP  and Latissimus...yeeeewwwhhhhh

• Momine
    Momine Member Posts: 2,845
    Options

We made it a year! Last September I felt like a wet noodle. Now I am back in shape, doing well. I hope everyone is getting back into the swing of things.

Olga, how goes the recon saga? 

• olgah34
    Options

I am ready for the new operation...did not decide yet- DIEP or LAT FLAP...scared...crying...

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Olgah,

You have had such a long and difficult ordeal. I hope that flap surgery is the answer and the end of reconstruction for you. There are many threads dealing with both types and I hope you find some good advice there to help you decide. I am thinking of you. Keep posting to let us know how you are doing.

Caryn

• olgah34
    Options

thank you, Caryn! I have been thinking about you too... Yesterday a had an appt with both PS and microsurgeon. They both think I am not a candidate for DIEP though...I will do Latissimus , but I still have another opinion next week...How are you doing?

Olga

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Hi Olgah,

I'm doing fairly well. Still working full time, which I love. I have been NED since last May but have another PET scan coming up in November, so who knows what it will show? I am only on Arimidex and Aredia. My one step implants are fine and even though I did have to have one nipple removed , I am not in the mood for anymore surgery so don't know if I will ever have it reconstructed. It looks fine in clothing. This thread is pretty quiet so I don't know how others are. Have you made a decision on your surgery? Whichever way you go, I hope you have an easier time and heal quickly.

Caryn

• Hi ladies - it's been a LONG time since I popped in here to say hello - I see it's been a while since anyone posted. I hope you're all getting along OK. I'm doing great, over all, back to business as usual, been busy getting into great physical condition, etc. Just came back from Turks & Caicos - our annual escape from NE winter with friends. It was lovely - this year, in particular since I'm feeling so normal, finally! Other big news is that DH and I caved to our daughter's needling (been going on for years) and we're getting a puppy this spring - really looking forward to the joy of a new family member and the distractions and love that pets bring!

I do have an "issue" - have a small (smaller than a pea), rock-hard lump under my left breast . . . not sure what it is, of course - going to doc a week from Friday to have it checked out. SOOOO not in the mood to deal with anything right now. Anyone had anything like this or know of anyone?

Take care, all - think of my September sisters often and cannot believe how fast time is flying by.

Sarah

• dancetrancer
    Options

Hey Sarah!  Great to hear from you.  Yes, I've had two suspicious lumps pop up since my BMX - both turned about to be fatty cysts.  The ultrasound tech said it is VERY common - keeping fingers crossed that this turns out to be nothing for you as well!!!

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Good to hear from you! Chances are it will turn out to be nothing but I know it's hard not to worry. Good luck with the puppy.

Caryn

• Momine
    Options

Checking in after a long time, and I too had some fat necrosis bumps checked out by US a few weeks ago. The doc who did the ultrasound was incredibly careful and nice, so I feel confident that it really is not something to worry about.

• olgah34
    Options

Hi ladies! I had Latissimus Dorsi operation on January 22 ( other PS head of the department at University, no comparison with a first one!)operation was a success, but I, of course, had some complications. I had developed seroma in my back, they removed it manually few times, etc. Now I am home waiting for my exchange to squishies April 18 and working on my left arm, which is not cooperating well, it takes time. But I am happy I did it!

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Logan,

So good to hear from you and know that you are improving. You sound much happier than before. Hope your recovery continues to be good for you.

Caryn

• olgah34
    Options

Caryn, I guess, Logan is me...Smile

• exbrnxgrl
    Options

Olgah,

Too funny! Auto correct turned your name into Logan and I didn't even notice. Sorry about that and hope you're feeling better each day.

Caryn

• olgah34
    Options

Auto correct did not like my Europian/ hispanic name, huh?Smile I am doing fine, better then before ( woke up every morning and cried looking at my ugly chest), it is amazing how we are women, no matter what age, we still want to be beautiful...I am going to have 7 grandchildren this year.My husband and I remarried, it was in 1997, so he has 3  ( 2 girls, 1 boy) and I have 2 ( boys,) now 1 more boy and 1 girl on the way.... How are you doing, Caryn? Congratulations with Pesach!

Olga

• groovygirls
    Options

Hello Ladies-

I can't believe it has been almost 2 years since we had our surgery. I remember the flurry of activity days and weeks leading up to and after our surgeries. I hope everyone is well. I am still the same- good thing. Hate the weight gain with tamoxifen but so far it is the only side effect I have from it (except for joint pain now and then plus neuropathy in my hands and feet) Nothing I cant deal with.

Hoping everyone is doing well

• Momine
    Options

Groovy, I only just saw this. It is hard to believe that it has been 2 years. I just finished my annual check, which included so-called staging scans (horrible term), and all is well.

I am still flat as a board, and I have no plans to change that any time soon, if ever.

I am on femara and although I have had some SEs, it is not too bad. My weight has remained steady, in spite of my having been crashed into super-double-plus menopause. I do eat carefully, not so much for weight control, but to keep my blood work, cholesterol and glucose, where I want it and because it may help against the stupid cancer. I also try to get about 10 hours of exercise a week, although most of that is walking, with or without dogs and sometimes on a treadmill.

• dancetrancer
    Options

I am doing well. Most of my hot flashes have gone away (thank God) and so far so good at 2 years and counting. I've decided to finish my reconstruction and am in the middle of surgeries for that. Had my last one July 25 and will have another probably December sometime.

I have tolerated Tamoxifen well (after my hot flashes diminished in the spring). However I had abnormal bleeding (lasted 5 weeks one time!) so I had to have an endometrial biopsy. Fortunately, it was all clear, just my hormones doing wacky stuff. For now, they are just monitoring me closely.

Hope everyone else is out there busy living life and enjoying it!

• groovygirls
    Options

Hey Ladies- Hope everyone is doing well. Its been three years!