Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Prepping for Surgery? Start Here.

Options
moderators
moderators Posts: 7,911

For information on all types of breast cancer surgery, see the main Breastcancer.org site's pages on:

There's also some great information in these Discussion Boards, where you can ask questions and get advice from others who are experiencing what you are, or have been there:

Also, if you have a surgery date set, you can scroll through the threads in the Surgery forum to find your Monthly Surgical Group and talk with others who are preparing for surgery too -- so you can support each other along the way!

Hope this helps! 🤗

The Mods

Comments

• tbulkovs
    tbulkovs Member Posts: 1
    edited October 2017
    Options

My mom is 77 and has a stage 1 invasive lobular carcinoma in her right breast on one side and a pre-cancerous mass in the same breast on the other side. We have to make a decision between a mastectomy and two lumpectomies with radiation. My mom is afraid to do a mastectomy at her age so I'm looking for advice from anyone who went through this in her 70s. Thanks.

• moderators
    edited October 2017
    Options

Dear tbulkovs,

Welcome to the community. W are sorry about your mom's cancer but glad that you reached out on her behalf. We are thinking that there are better forums for you to post this question. This is primarily a thread to provide information on other topics of interest. Why don't you look at the Forum for those who are over 60 years of age. You may want to post this question there. Let us know if you need any other help. The Mods

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited October 2017
    Options

Tbulkovs:

My mom had stage 1 ILC (only one location) and underwent lumpectomy, radiation and four rounds of chemo at 73. (She was triple negative, hence the chemo.) They did not get clear margins and she had to have a second lumpectomy but all went well with both procedures. She's doing great 10 years later.

BMX is a lot to go through (had one myself this year). And opens the Pandora's Box about reconstruction, which is more to go through than BMX in my humble opinion. (I'm not sorry I reconstructed, I just think it adds a lot to the mix.)

Ask her doctors lots of questions and go with what your mom is comfortable with and willing to do.

GOOD luck. ;)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2017
    Options

I just read a book written by a breast cancer surgeon and she had some great insight into this disease. Years ago, researchers found a mouse mammary tumor virus that causes breast cancer in mice. Since then, there's been research done that finds a lot of similarities between the virus in mice and a human virus. If scientists can determine that a virus causes breast cancer in humans, they could make a preventive vaccine and put an end to breast cancer.

The book I read is called "The End of Breast Cancer: A Virus and the Hope for a Vaccine" by Dr. Kathleen Ruddy. The breast cancer surgeon also talks about her work with patients and how important it is to prevent this disease. Check out Amazon if you want to get a copy of this book!

• bcbain
    bcbain Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2018
    Options

I was diagnosed with stage 1V BC in January , 2018. Medical Oncologist does not recommend surgery. Compares it to dropping a bar of soap in water. " You can remove the soap but you still have soapy water ." Surgical oncologist says she will review my case in 6 months. Doing weekly paclitaxel and monthly herceptin and perjeta. Any thoughts welcomed.

• eastcoastts
    eastcoastts Member Posts: 352
    edited April 2018
    Options

Bcbain:

You should post on the Stage IV boards which are more active. This is an old thread. I only know you posted because I used to follow it around surgery.

So sorry for your diagnosis. But there are many who understand and can provide great advice here.

{hugs}

• SpideyBee
    SpideyBee Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2018
    Options

Hi all!

Thank you to the amazing resources and brave voices on this page. I am in the early stage of diagnosis here and have been told that over the next few days I will need to choose between lumpectomy or masectomy. I have either a small incapsulated tumor or potentially a smaller tumor that may be more invasive. I need further biopsy to determine if the calicification on my mammagram and MRI are cancerous or precancerous. I think I am in favor of a lumpectomy, but am not ready to totally rule our a masectomy. Did anyone here elect for a masectomy and later have regrets about not saving what they could of their breast? I know this is personal and different for everyone, but I would welcome insight from others who have been there. Thank you!

• moderators
    edited June 2018
    Options

Dear SpideyBee,

Welcome to the community. We are sorry about your diagnosis but so glad that you reached our to our members. This particular thread while it contains some posts is mostly a thread created by the moderators to provide links about surgery. You may want to look at this thread which raises similar questions of Mastectomy Versus Lumpectomy. Here is a link to information on our main site about surgical choices.Please stay connected her and let us know if you need any help navigating your way around. The MOds

• Schweety
    Schweety Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2018
    Options

I am not sure if this is the right board....but what is genomic testing. Is it the same as genetic testing? I just had a lumpectomy last week. The doc ordered the Oncodx test but did not mention genomic testing? I am getting nervous again about "Not knowing" about these tests. The genetic tests came back negative..yay.

Thank you,

Schweetie

• hpfull
    hpfull Member Posts: 65
    edited October 2018
    Options

It is looking like I will be having a lumpectomy, with a setinel node biopsy,nipple reconstruction and then radiation. Does anyone know what amount of time I should take off work to recovery after the surgery

• Flybynightengale
    Flybynightengale Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2019
    Options

I have regretted the double mastectomy I had. Why does NO ONE IN THE MEDICAL FIELD on the "Breast Team" inform you that this will grossly alter your sexual arousal with no more feeling in your breasts???

• moderators
    edited August 2019
    Options

Dear Flybynightengale - Sorry your circumstances has brought you here but we sincerely hope that it will be a source of great support to you, welcome!

We understand your frustration... Hope you can find other community members here sharing some similar experiences and advice. In the mean time, here is a popular thread from our boars where you can ask and learn more on intimacy and sex live during and after breast cancer:

I WANT MY MOJO BACK!

We hope this helps! Looking forward to hearing more from you soon!

The Mods

• nursemyn
    nursemyn Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hello. I am new here. I had surgery last week, and am having a hard time with recovery..... because of the Covid situation my diagnosis and surgery process has gone so fast that I don't feel I had time to adjust to what was happening. I need a support group and others' stories to help me get though this.

• moderators
    edited June 2020
    Options

Hi nursemyn, and welcome to Breastcancer.org!

We're so sorry for the reasons that bring you here, but we're really glad you've found us. Our Community is an amazing source of information, advice, and support -- we're all here for you!

We'd suggest you start a new post in the Surgery - Before, During, and After forum introducing yourself and sharing your experience, so that others can weigh in with their thoughts. It's easy to do: just click the link to the forum, select Start a New Topic, fill out the Subject and Body of the post, and click Submit. Don't forget to select the thread as a Favorite, so you can get notifications when someone responds to your post!

Also, don't forget to fill out your Profile so others can see your diagnostic and treatment information, which will help them answer your questions. You can fill out your profile by clicking My Profile at the top right of your screen, and following the prompts to enter your information in the My Diagnoses and My Treatment tabs.

We hope this helps and we look forward to seeing you around the Community! Let us know if you need any help at all!

--The Mods

• lizk1029
    lizk1029 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2022
    Options

I am tying to decide between single and double mastectomy following a very recent dx DCIS.. I am not a candidate for lumpectomy or chemo due to type of tumor recepetors, am waiting on results of genetics and meeting with plastic surgeon next week.. I just don't know how I will feel with only one done-the worry about occurrence , worried about implants (im only an A so size isn't really an issue,not sure I can manage not having something there)..looking to connect with folks making/having made similar decisions..

• bulliet7359
    bulliet7359 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2022
    Options

Beginning this journey. DCIS diagnosed - surgeon and oncologist want me to have masectomy with reconstruction. I am getting genetic testing next, MRI to look further at the other breast and meeting with plastic surgeon before my next follow up with oncologist. What research should I be doing?

• moderators
    edited September 2022
    Options

Welcome, bulliet735! We're sorry for your diagnosis, but glad you found us and decided to join our discussion boards. We're sure you'll get some answers and support from other members too, but for the mean time, here are some articles from our main site that may be of interest to you:

12 Questions To Ask Your Genetic Counselor

Questions to Ask Your Surgeon About Breast Reconstruction

Good luck! Please let us know if we can help in any other way.

Best,

The Mods