Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited June 2012

Sew.....I did not make strawberry cheesecake.  I made 'Cheesecake Stuffed Strawberries'.  They are divine and so easy to make.  When I make them we can't stop eating them.  Oink, oink!

SAB....sorry about the drooling.  I have to say...that potato dish was absolutely wonderful!  So unhealthy but it was amazing!  I won't make it often, but it is nice to have a different side dish that works well.

Elizabeth.....come on over anytime!  I love to cook and bake.  Problem is, I don't burn off many calories doing it!  I have so many leftovers.  Our friends are going out of town tomorrow so they did not want to take any.  Oh get this......we made a really nice green salad with different types of lettuce from our little garden.  Of course we added tomatoes and cucumbers and red onions.  When I was putting the leftovers away, there was that pretty salad sitting in the bowl in the fridge.  I totally forgot about it.  DUH!!!!  Lame brain! 

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited June 2012

Janis, I can relate. I made a lot of side dishes with our Thanksgiving dinner last year. When I checked the microwave the next day, there was one of my side dishes.

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited June 2012

Did someone say stuffed Strawberries.........

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited June 2012

OMG, I absolutely MUST stop reading about and seeing all these decadent temptations.....especially right before dinner....LOL course, before bed and I'll gain weight just dreaming about them, then there's breakfast, and who could resist such delicacies to start the day.......OK, send these pictures anytime, I'll just learn how to clean my keyboard!

I'm off to see the Suvivorship Dr. Tomorrow morning. She specializes in QOL issues. I've got my list of questions, but will probably never ask any of them. Ah well,

• kingjr66
    kingjr66 Member Posts: 406
    edited June 2012

well if you insist.........how about some cake..........

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited June 2012

Oh you guys are killing me!  I just had my 8 almonds, an apricot and half a banana for my mid afternoon snack. OK, I'm going to make one of those desserts my computer background.

• SAB
    edited June 2012

Sew, forgive my ignorance, but can you tell us about the survivorship docoter?  It sounds interesting.

• MostlySew
    edited June 2012

Geesh....Kingjr, you're killing me.....maybe my laughing will offset some of the weight I'm gaining just looking at these pictures!

Hi Sab,

Actually these survivorship Dr. positions are a pretty new thing around the country. They seem to specialize in all those issues that none of your other oncologists, radiologists, radiation oncologists and surgeons deal with. Most specifically quality of life: Nutrition, dietary needs, side effects of treatment and how to deal with them, and of course, the biggie......vaginal dryness and sex for those of us on Arimidex (the estrogen blocker of all estrogen blockers). So, the occasional visit with her is interesting. Today we discussed my specific needs for calcium and which type (food is best source but not from cheese, milk and yogurt is better) and after that take calcium citrate not calcium carbonate. It's important to get the 1200 units daily but not to overdose and nutritional calcium does count). We discussed my osteoporosis and the Prolia I'm now taking. We discussed the "ahem dryness" and ways to treat it. Oh, and yes, cocoa butter is entirely safe to use and won't hurt you in case you've read about that solution on other threads. We also spent time discussing my sudden fatigue symptom and how/if it relates to Arimidex (maybe but she doesnt think so yet) or my weird heart rhythm (probably) and whether that is related to my thyroid issues (probably) and her recommendation of my seeing a cardiologist. Whew....that covers lots, doesn't it.

If you're still awake thru that long explanation, mostly she handles anything that's on your mind, and deals with all cancer, and non cancer related issues. They're the office I call when I don't know who to call. I apparently will trade off seeing her and my MO.

Ain't cancer fun?

• MostlySew
    edited June 2012

Hey, Joan811, I'm so glad you enjoyed your vacation and got to do all that climbing in Yosemite. How fabulous. Those mountains and the serenity of the area sort of put the rest of our lives in perspective don't they? Anyway, glad you're back and especially glad you're getting the summer off.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited June 2012

MostlySew, The survivorship doctor sounds like a wonderful idea. I have not heard of any doctors like that where I live. I hope the concept catches on and becomes available to everyone.

• SAB
    edited June 2012

Sew, Thank you for that explanation.  I had not heard of this type of practice.  It certainly seems like a useful person to have on the team.

• stephN
    stephN Member Posts: 133
    edited June 2012

I agree!  I think it sounds like an awesome idea.  When I went to the general practitioner, he didn't know anything about the medicine we take or how being in menopause at age 43 with no hormone replacement might affect my health.  I want someone who actually knows what they're talking about!

MostlySew, I know we talked about this, but I'm having fatigue issues as well.  I got up at 4 the other morning to wait with my friend as her child had surgery.  I was wiped out for two days.  It's strange to not be able to depend on your body the way you used to.  I do think it probably has to do with the medication.

Joan, your vacation sounds fantastic.  That's one part of the country I would love to visit!

Kingjr, no more temptation necessary!  I made a huge mistake and bought a jar of chocolate covered raisins at Costco the other day.  Never again.  I'm so stuffed on chocolate covered raisins.  Those things are deliciously horrible for me!

Welcome to Janet and luvmygoats!  I think goats are adorable, but have never had any.  When I retire, I want to live in the country and have a few.  

Janet, as the others said, two weeks is quick.  I think at around three weeks, I was surprised that I was starting to have a good day now and again and it was six weeks before I really felt better.

I read something here the other day.  You guys might know who said it...but she said that in breast cancer, we had something that would have killed us if we hadn't had treatment.  Not might have--would have.  We can't expect to go through something like that and come out unchanged, no matter what stage of cancer we were being treated for.  It kind of gave me a jolt to realize that she was right and also gave me a little more understanding for my not being "normal" just yet.  I may never be "normal" but I'm alive and kicking!

Janis, I don't know if radiofrequency ablation is an option for you, but my son's pain is better since he had that done.  It was a spine injury that was causing his pain and the injury is still there, but since the nerve is deadened, the pain is a lot better.  It was a pain management doctor who did the procedure.  I hope you can get some relief soon! 

Kate, like you, I'm so grateful for the friendships and support here.  Hope you have a wonderful trip!

Blessings, ladies!

Steph 

• Janet_M
    Janet_M Member Posts: 500
    edited June 2012

Yes, everyone was right!  two weeks was too quick to recover from rads. Don't know what I was thinking....

However, I'm in the middle of week three and there's a huge jump in energy. Last week it was work, then bed. Now it's work, dog walk, glass of wine, bed.

MostlySew - The Survivorship doctor sounds amazing! I'm going to see if they have anyone covering that ground in my hospital. I feel like that, for the longest time, I had a doctor for everything, and I was at the hospital every day.  Now, post rads, I feel like I've been dropped like a hot potato, and I've got all sorts of concerns. I think back to the last eight months and my head spins with the amount of information that had to be absorbed. It doesn't help that my MO has the bedside manner of a popsicle. She makes it very clear what is and isn't her job when I see her. I thought, being a woman, she'd have some empthay. But, no. And so I'm working on replacing her.

StephN - I don't think I'll ever be 'norma'l again either, and I'm not even going force it. I'm all for a 'new normal' but I think it's going to take a while to break me in. Also, I've got to fit the new me into my old life and that's a bit tricky. Nothing feels quite right at the moment.

Janet 

• Elizabeth1889
    edited June 2012

Hi everyone, I finished my final round of chemo exactly one year ago today. How little I knew what lay ahead with rads on that day. At least today was a wonderful day because the medical center where I had my surgery, chemo, and rads hosted a cancer survivor celebration luncheon. There was an inspirational keynote speaker who lost a leg and lung to osteosarcoma over thirty years ago, but he continues to live a full life participating in every sport imaginable. Still, I am sure he has the same sad and exhausting days that all of us do. We are all finding the new normal together and helping each other along the way. Thanks for your support.

• justmejanis
    edited June 2012

Janet the fatigue from rads can come and go for awhile.  I think all you can do is listen to your body.  You can resume normal activities as your body allows them.  I know what you mean about things not feeling right.  It is early though and soon this phase will be behind you. 

Steph so good to hear from you.  I am glad your son is better.  I am not sure if that would help me or not.  I have another test coming up to see if numbing the nerves will help.  We'll see how that one goes.

Elizabeth....I am so happy you are doing so well.  Cancer does not have to bury us emotionally unless we allow it to.  The speaker you saw sounds wonderful and a true inspiration.  I am glad you were able to see him. 

Tomorrow I go for my first mammogram since diagnosis.  Party?????  I'll need some company in there for sure!

Sew what an amazing program.  I have never heard of anything like that here.  You are really lucky to be a part of something so innovative.

Hoping everyone is doing well, felling better every day and don't foget...LAUGH!

Love and hugs to all my sistas!

Janis

• Cindyl
    Cindyl Member Posts: 498
    edited June 2012

I don't think we have a survivorship doctor, but I going to ask!  They do have survivorship seminars here.  There is on scheduled in a couple of weeks.  I'll be interested to see what they have to say...

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited June 2012

justmejanis, I will jump in your pocket tomorrow. Good luck. Mine is the 2nd of July.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited June 2012

Hi Janet: I finished rads a week and a half ago. Two days after finishing my skin broke down, developed a fungus, skin felt like I imagine 3rd degree burns would feel like......PAINFUL.....funny thing, when I was in treatment, I slept every night like a baby and now not so much. Energy level is starting to come back though, which is a good thing.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited June 2012

Wow I haven't been here in awhile and you are eating cake!

I make a very decadent red velvet layer cake. My husband's birthday is coming around the bend! We're going to see Al Green! 

• Scottiee1
    edited June 2012

Truebff This is for you because you gave me my first "belly laugh" since I was diagnosed

In January. Thank u, thank u, thank u.

• truebff
    edited June 2012

Happy to eat cake!

• truebff
    edited June 2012

Al Green: "I I I I I ... am so -oh in love with you..."  to drop dead in ecstasy! YES! YES! Paleeze YES!

• justmejanis
    edited June 2012

Truebff....cake is good for the soul, I am convinced of that.  Okay the hips, not so much!  Your cake sounds wonderful.  I make a really good four layer carrot cake.  lots of work but so worth the effort. 

Scottiee1......congratulations on finishing rads and finding your way here.  The women in this group are warm, funny, and always here to cheer you up when needed.  We also have all been through this, so we know what it feels like. 

ptdreamers.....thanks for joining me tomorrow.  It is always great to have company for these tests.  This is the first since diagnosis.  My breast is still swollen from the lymphedema so I hope the flattening doesn't cause too much discomfort.  I will be with you for yours on the 2nd.  Just make sure to remind me a few days before.  That brain damage.......:)

• Scottiee1
    edited June 2012

I'm so happy to have found this thread. I certainly need more laughs in my life right about now and you women are wonderful and funny. As a former registered dietitian I was always very careful re "sweets" now that I really should be careful, all I want to do is eat cakes, what's with that?

• MostlySew
    edited June 2012

Ah, Scottie.....that cake eating syndrome is well known to all of us! It's called TREATS! Seems to come about when we're so busy fighting this disease, and getting thru it all with some sense of dignity and self, that we end up needing......TREATS! Problem is, as most of us have found out, we have to work it off later, but boy it sure is fun while indulging. It probably would have been easier in the long run for me to treat myself to a day at the spa, or more frequent hair cuts, or, even better, someone to wash my hair for me. But alas, for me, my TREATS took the form of decadent nut/fruit/chocolate combos.

Janis, I'll join in your mammo adventure, but I'm here to tell you that believe it or not, it really isn't painful. I was amazed. My boor boob is so riddled with edemas, fat necrosis and scar tissue that a manual exam is quite painful and the Docs all just sort of give up trying to feel for bad things. Consequently they did my mammo at only 5 1/2 months from rads. Do be sure to tell your tech about your lumpectomy and they'll be extra careful...oh, and usually they give you the results right then and there so there's no waiting for the "pass" slip.

And guys, these cakes are sounding so great......I might have to take up baking and therefore eating, which is not the effect I'm looking for right now.

If everyone clamors for survivorship doctors I think they'll spread across the nation sooner. I know they've had two national conferences so far, so the idea is taking off.

• SAB
    edited June 2012

Truebff- Yes, we have all gone wild in your absence, and I hope you can bring some order to this cake eating orgy that seems to have cropped up! 

Cake eating syndrome (CES)!  My DH said we are a CES support group! I will join in (for the virtual fun) but I have been experimenting with sugar free/whole wheat treats in real life.  Nothing worth posting at this point, and sorry to go all healthy on ya!

Hi and welcome to Scottie, in case I didn't say it already.

Janis, my mammo didn't hurt either.  I have been probed and poked and cut and checked so many times that my boob just sort of said "That's all you got? Ha!" Anyway, I had breast and trunk lymphedema too (which seems to have cleared up with weight loss) so I hope your experience will be just as anti-climatic.  Will be thinking about ya anyway!

• ptdreamers
    ptdreamers Member Posts: 639
    edited June 2012

Have had my seroma drained four times now. Surgeon is having me go Wednesday for an ultra sound guided aspiration. Hope t hat does it. Surgeon is talking opening and scraping away capsule that must have formed. I am so not for that. I don't want any more surgery at this point. Anyone have any other ways to defeat their seromas?.

• Elizabeth1889
    edited June 2012

Janis, I will be in your pocket tomorrow. Good luck!

ptdreamers, Your seroma sounds so painful. I hope the aspiration works. I will be in your pocket, too. 

• MostlySew
    edited June 2012

Ptdreamers, while I've got seromas along with this fat necrosis stuff, right now they're not doing anything. there's still a large bruise on the bottom of my breast even. Originally my surgeon said he prefers the seromas/edemas to be absorbed naturally, if I have my terms right. I haven't been back to see him since I was released for rads though so no telling what he would say now. From all you've been thru, I think I won't push the issue and just let this develop along on its own. Mine isn't bad if I don't wear a bra and no one pokes at it. Ain't this fun?

• justmejanis
    edited June 2012

Scottiee the urge for cake is one of the side effects of BC.  Oh you won't read it in any books or research studies.  You actually have to go through BC treatment to understand the inexplicable desire for cake.  Or cookies, scones, ice cream, key lime pie, cheesecake.  Oops, I think I gave a little too much of myself away here.  Anyway you get it.  Just another side effect we all have to deal with and learn to temper our urges.  It does take time though.  Indulging now and then is perfectly normal.  :)

Thanks everyone for being there today.  I am leaving in about half an hour.  I am not really worried about the pain.  My bad breast is still swollen, likely from the LE, so I wonder if it may just be more uncomfortable than last time.  Maybe just a small amount of discomfort.  Sew and Saab, thank you both for letting me know your mammos were pain free.  Also thanks to all for being in my pocket.  I am hoping for some really good snacks.  Also some silly, fruity rum based drink please!

ptdreamers, I am really sorry to hear that the seroma is giving you such a difficult time.  That is difficult at best.  I hope you find some relief, and resolution, very soon.  I understand not wanting any more surgeries.  Fingers crossed and healing hugs to you.

Love you all my friends!!!!

Janis